It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ryne Sandberg
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:03 am 

pizza_Place: NEW YORK STYLE PEPPERONI FROM LOMBARDI'S IN MANHATTAN.
If Sandberg is DUMB ENOUGH to want this job NOW.....rather than go somewhere else and get his brains beaten in while the Cubs develop some young players...he had better ask for more money than God!!!!

WOO LIFE!!!!

Post subject: Re: Ryne Sandberg
PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:37 am 

Not sure God himself would take this job.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
The Cubs farm system has produced rather well in the past few years. Sandberg is VERY familiar with the players in that system. If he believes that those players on the cusp of the major leagues and are really good players....perhaps the job isn't so bad. :?: It's likely the team would not be a contender for the 1st year or 2, but it might not take more than 2 years to be in contention. Will the team and the fandom be willing to wait 2 years to contend??

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Elmhurst Steve wrote:
The Cubs farm system has produced rather well in the past few years. Sandberg is VERY familiar with the players in that system. If he believes that those players on the cusp of the major leagues and are really good players....perhaps the job isn't so bad. :?: It's likely the team would not be a contender for the 1st year or 2, but it might not take more than 2 years to be in contention. Will the team and the fandom be willing to wait 2 years to contend??

What does their pitching look like down on the farm? From what I've seen, the guys they have called up have not been very good.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:48 pm 

sjboyd0137 wrote:
Elmhurst Steve wrote:

What does their pitching look like down on the farm? From what I've seen, the guys they have called up have not been very good.

Sandberg was interviewed about 2 weeks ago and he talked very positively about several of the pitchers. then again Schlitter and Adkins have been called up since then and both have been less than impressive so far. Samardzija has actually pitched well in the past couple of months and I would anticipate he will be a September call-up. I am curious to see if he's added a better change-up and whether he can locate the slider any better these days. Plus, he needs to throw a 2 seam fastball more and the 4 seamer less. the 4 seam fastball is straight as an arrow and gets tattooed more than Dennis Rodman.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:49 pm 

Elmhurst Steve wrote:
The Cubs farm system has produced rather well in the past few years.

Please define "rather well".

Are Tampa Bay/Texas/Atlanta's farm system also guilty of producing (just) "rather well" as well? Distinguish and discuss.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:50 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
I'm going to invoke Swami Murph here:

I PREDICT, in less than a year Samardzija will be signing autographs for $5 each at AU Sports. I PREDICT.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:52 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

I PREDICT, in less than a year Samardzija will be signing autographs for $5 each at AU Sports. I PREDICT.

Did you say it like you really mean it??

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:53 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Papa Dells
Hey Bob, why don't you enjoy your team being good, instead of reveling in my team being bad. With all due respect, fuck you, Bob.
And JoeRod, I hope your E Class springs a fucking leak, you asshat.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:55 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

They can't be that dumb. Can they?!?

Yeah, you're right ;)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:56 pm 
1000 CLUB

Regular Reader wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Yeah, you're right ;)

Christ, the nursing home forgot to lock the door again, huh Gramps?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:57 pm 

Mr. Reason wrote:
And JoeRod, I hope your E Class springs a fucking leak, you asshat.

Now, now. He didn't wish ill of your Kia...or is that a Hyundai you tool around in NAFTA boy ;)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:58 pm 

Broken Record wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Yeah, you're right ;)

Christ, the nursing home forgot to lock the door again, huh Gramps?

Try again toothless wonder ;)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:59 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
Elmhurst Steve wrote:

Are Tampa Bay/Texas/Atlanta's farm system also guilty of producing (just) "rather well" as well? Distinguish and discuss.

Soto, Theriot (now with Dodgers) , Colvin, Castro, McGehee (now with Brewers) Cashner and Fontenot are all guys that came up in the past few years. Add Hoffpauir and Fox who both did reasonably well last season if you wish. It's producing far better than teams did for many years. How many teams have developed 3 players in a 3 year period that start for their team and are as good as Soto, Colvin and Castro?? I think they are doing a pretty good job these days in drafting and developing their players. Now, if they had a GM that did a better job identifying and judging pro level talent....

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:04 pm 
1000 CLUB

Regular Reader wrote:
Elmhurst Steve wrote:

You must keep in mind what it is that we have to compare it to. The last forty years haven't exactly been stellar for the farm system.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:11 pm 

Elmhurst Steve wrote:
How many teams have developed 3 players in a 3 year period that start for their team and are as good as Soto, Colvin and Castro??

To start (and without the Kool-Aid) Kansas City (Greinke alone), Pittsburgh and Baltimore. Just for ha-ha's, Milwaukee, St. Louis & Cincinnati.

And then we'll discuss Philly, Texas, Florida or Tampa. Or did you want any of the other 5-10-15 teams with a better producing farm system over the last 10 years.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
I would only include Cashner, Castro, Colvin, Jackson, Vitters, Hak-Ju Lee and Chris Archer (who has been filthy between Daytona and Tennessee this year). Some of those other guys mentioned were from the previous player development staff.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Elmhurst Steve wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:
Elmhurst Steve wrote:

Sandberg was interviewed about 2 weeks ago and he talked very positively about several of the pitchers. then again Schlitter and Adkins have been called up since then and both have been less than impressive so far. Samardzija has actually pitched well in the past couple of months and I would anticipate he will be a September call-up. I am curious to see if he's added a better change-up and whether he can locate the slider any better these days. Plus, he needs to throw a 2 seam fastball more and the 4 seamer less. the 4 seam fastball is straight as an arrow and gets tattooed more than Dennis Rodman.

The Stever with some Baseball acumen!

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:25 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
Elmhurst Steve wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Elmhurst Steve wrote:

Soto, Theriot (now with Dodgers) , Colvin, Castro, McGehee (now with Brewers) Cashner and Fontenot are all guys that came up in the past few years. Add Hoffpauir and Fox who both did reasonably well last season if you wish. It's producing far better than teams did for many years. How many teams have developed 3 players in a 3 year period that start for their team and are as good as Soto, Colvin and Castro?? I think they are doing a pretty good job these days in drafting and developing their players. Now, if they had a GM that did a better job identifying and judging pro level talent....

Theriot? Sucks. Would Fontenot even be on another roster right now? Fox? Now on the Good Ship McFail with all the other Cubs washouts. Hoffpauir? Seems to be the classic AAAA player, but I'm sure with King Fuckstick Hendry still as G.M., he'll get more than an ample chance to fail.

And I wouldn't be blowing the Colvin and Castro trumpets quite yet. While they both look pretty nice right now, they both have what.....3 or 4 months of experience? Soto? We'll see.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:26 pm 
1000 CLUB

I'm fairly confident Castro is gonna be a solid player for years to come. That is all.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:29 pm 

Peoria Matt wrote:
Theriot? Sucks. Would Fontenot even be on another roster right now? Fox? Now on the Good Ship McFail with all the other Cubs washouts. Hoffpauir? Seems to be the classic AAAA player, but I'm sure with King Fuckstick Hendry still as G.M., he'll get more than an ample chance to fail.

And I wouldn't be blowing the Colvin and Castro trumpets quite yet. While they both look pretty nice right now, they both have what.....3 or 4 months of experience? Soto? We'll see.

Not that I'm piling on or anything ;), but Soto had a great 4 months out of the blue....lost 20+ lbs...and well...anyone remember the great Jim Essian?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Elmhurst Steve wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Elmhurst Steve wrote:

Where are the stars? Good teams develop them. The three Cs may become stars, but I can't name one star that the Hendry regime has developed.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:35 pm 

Mr. Reason wrote:
I'm fairly confident Castro is gonna be a solid player for years to come. That is all.

Mr. Reason ---- of not long ago wrote:
Prior, Wood, Ramirez, DLee & the new kid Kieschnick will bring US multiple titles

Mr. Reason wrote:
Walton & Smith...1 & 2 in ROY voting...our future is golden

Mr. Reason - circa 1977 wrote:
DeJesus & Trillo will go down in history as one of the greatest middle infield tandems...just watch. NL East titles, here we come!

a 30 yr. old Mr. Reason wrote:
1969 is our year. Do you see the size of our lead...in August (1969)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:21 am 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

I wish Jeff Samardzija was on the Bears.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:24 am 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
bump. Hey,ASFB must have been accidently sober when he posted this.