It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:01 pm 
1000 CLUB

We're seven months or so into the Ricketts partnership (keep in mind Sam Zell still has 10% of the team). We've been given a noodle, some new urinals, and a managerial move that might have inspired a yawn in a nursing home.

When will Ricketts start making some major moves? Is he waiting for Zell's 10% to be liquidated? Is Ricketts too heavily leveraged that he can not afford to make any moves? If I'm taking over a team, I want my own business leader - Crane Kenney would have been shitcanned. I would have wanted my own GM - Hendry would have been shitcanned. The Ricketts regime seems so uninspired, like Tom's sleepwalking through this.

You have to wonder how much Cuban would have blown up had he been successful.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
He'll be making several moves. Mostly from the team payroll account to his savings.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:26 pm 

Don't forget about the Toyota sign and the Captain Morgan Club. He's also very prompt sending out invoices. So he's got that going for him.....

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:31 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
C_Howitt_Fealz wrote:
We're seven months or so into the Ricketts partnership (keep in mind Sam Zell still has 10% of the team). We've been given a noodle, some new urinals, and a managerial move that might have inspired a yawn in a nursing home.

When will Ricketts start making some major moves? Is he waiting for Zell's 10% to be liquidated? Is Ricketts too heavily leveraged that he can not afford to make any moves? If I'm taking over a team, I want my own business leader - Crane Kenney would have been shitcanned. I would have wanted my own GM - Hendry would have been shitcanned. The Ricketts regime seems so uninspired, like Tom's sleepwalking through this.

don't forget the bison burgers/dogs, dude. that's a huge step up. somewhere i saved the trib from around opening day where they showed some pudgy yuppie fuck engorging himself with a giant bison sandwich thingy and they were going on about how great the food is and how now we've got that much more "experience" at the ballpark.

it was a perfect picture that epitomizes cub nation. hell, quade said "why not us?" today so meet the new boss...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:11 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
From a fan's perspective, I never understood why the ballpark food has to be good at Wrigley when there are so many options around the park. Concessions are for chumps. Other than getting a hot dog and peanuts for the sentimental value of eating a hot dog and peanuts at a baseball game, who needs overpriced ballpark food?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:13 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Papa Dells
Curious Hair wrote:
From a fan's perspective, I never understood why the ballpark food has to be good at Wrigley when there are so many options around the park. Concessions are for chumps. Other than getting a hot dog and peanuts for the sentimental value of eating a hot dog and peanuts at a baseball game, who needs overpriced ballpark food?

Mr. Hair is absolutely correct.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:58 am 

pizza_Place: Passero's
Curious Hair wrote:

because Chicagoans eat up whatever u feed 'em...u never see such stupidity in St Louis...nobody there thinks their city is special because some place serves a bison burger

Chicago used to be a down-to-earth, blue-collar city, and now it's a bunch of idiots who eat up what u cram down their throat and they have no integrity or guts to draw the line and say "this is not for me"

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:31 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
whistler wrote:
Chicago used to be a down-to-earth, blue-collar city, and now it's a bunch of idiots who eat up what u cram down their throat and they have no integrity or guts to draw the line and say "this is not for me"

They can't help it. They've grown up with McDonald's ads everywhere. It leads people to believe the washrooms are safe. The next thing you know they're choking down ten McNuggets and a gallon of diet Coke.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:32 am 

pizza_Place: ------
whistler wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

because Chicagoans eat up whatever u feed 'em...u never see such stupidity in St Louis...nobody there thinks their city is special because some place serves a bison burger

LOL WUT?

Chus wrote:
RPB is right. You suck. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:36 am 

pizza_Place: Beggars
C_Howitt_Fealz wrote:

MLB blackballed Cuban (remember the insider trading allegations came up during his bid?). Damn shame. He'd be taking action and the fan base would be stoked instead of this BS. I hope Cubs fans show their disdain by not showing up. Empty seats will send a strong message irrespective if they were already purchased.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:33 pm 

Phil McCracken wrote:
whistler wrote:

LOL WUT?

what part dont u understand?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:23 pm 

whistler wrote:
whistler wrote:

what part dont u understand?

I have bolded the parts that don't make any sense to me

Chus wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Lanny Poffo's Sausage and More
:lol: :lol:

I would cover for SHARK, Drop In, Dave in Champaign, my Mom, and Urlacher's Missing Neck. After that, the list gets pretty thin. There are a few people about whom I would definitely fabricate charges.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:02 pm 

u seem to speak english just fine to me...u dont even know what "the" means?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:07 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
tuh-hee?

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Salernos, Oak Park
Ricketts has no fucking idea what to do or which way to turn. Who makes a $700 million acquisition & leaves the entire dysfunctional management team in place? Ricketts. WTF does he see in Crane Kenny & Jim Hendry?
I knew a year ago that Ricketts was going to be a cash strapped bottom feeding owner, & from all accounts that appears to be the case. I miss the Tribune Co already.

We don’t have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven’t taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much. — Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:35 pm 

whistler wrote:
u seem to speak english just fine to me...u dont even know what "the" means?

NO U

Chus wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:27 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Scorehead wrote:
I knew a year ago that Ricketts was going to be a cash strapped bottom feeding owner, & from all accounts that appears to be the case. I miss the Tribune Co already.

I agree with all of this. I don't care who said it. It's true.

You know, I never felt any sort of desire to have A Person own my favorite team. It doesn't really matter. It was a canard, just another grievance to have about the Cubs sucking when they sucked. Do you think Braves fans cared that the team was a subsidiary of Turner/Time Warner when they were winning the division every year? Both teams were purchased with the mere intent of filling programming hours; it's just that the Braves had a vastly superior baseball operations department. Does anyone know who owns the Phillies? Does anyone care who owns the Phillies? It's not Comcast (who, incidentally, do an exemplary job running the Flyers). It's just, like, a bunch of businessmen, most of whom seem to function in virtual anonymity. The Phils don't need the "accountable figurehead" to come close to three straight pennants. And I really don't envy the horseshit that goes on elsewhere in town when An Owner I Mean A Real Guy has to be an actor in some stupid baseball soap opera.

There's good ownership and bad ownership. Doesn't matter if it's one guy, two guys, ten guys, a corporation. It's either good or bad. Ricketts is bad.