It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:39 am 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Everybody keeps saying the Cubs are stuck another 4 years with Soriano in LF. That has never been the case. I have explained this solution before. Cut him and put a capable low priced free agent OF (1-3 million) or minor league OF in LF. Do that for the next 4 years. You still have to pay him,regardless,so what the hell is the difference if he is on the team or not??? They need to get rid of this guy. He trots after flyballs. He can't run,he can't field & he strikes out waaayy too much. Things HAVE to be different under Mike Quade. Soriano is a memory,not even half the player he was.

(Last Cubs post until they Do something or it's spring-training time,I promise :drunken: )

Last edited by jimmypasta on Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:41 am 

pizza_Place: Piece Pizza and Brewery
Oh God...

So with a team that's strapped for cash, you are suggesting they cut/pay a player who is still moderately productive and then ADD to the payroll to replace him?

Last edited by Northside_Dan on Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:42 am 

Great idea. Ricketts should just burn $70 million.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:43 am 

The Cubs should cut Zambrano. He's too angry. Let's still pay Z, but we should sign Cliff Lee instead to a 5yr/ 75 million dollar deal. That'd help.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:43 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
It sure is "simple"

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:44 am 

Douchebag wrote:

Having this guy on your team =One of the main reasons you have empty seats in August & September. How much is that costing him?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:45 am 

jimmypasta wrote:
Douchebag wrote:

Having this guy on your team =One of the main reasons you have empty seats in August & September. How much is that costing him?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

pizza_Place: Beggars
You don't cut him, you trade him and eat 80% of his contract.

Northside_Dan wrote:
The Cubs should cut Zambrano. He's too angry. Let's still pay Z, but we should sign Cliff Lee instead to a 5yr/ 75 million dollar deal. That'd help.

Reading English and comprehending must be two different worlds for you. I said a low priced alternative.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:46 am 

pizza_Place: ------
THEY SHOULD FIRE EVERYONE ON THE TEAM AND START OVER........THE CUBS ARE A BUNCH OF BUMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chus wrote:
RPB is right. You suck. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:47 am 

jimmypasta wrote:
Northside_Dan wrote:

Reading English and comprehending must be two different worlds for you. I said a low priced alternative.

Do you honestly believe Soriano was even in the top 5 of the Cubs problems last year?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:48 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Are you drunk Jimmy? His contract is guaranteed. If they cannot find a trade partner, they might as well keep him around and get some use out of all that money.

If they cut him, they will still have to pay him, and that is like flushing cash down the toilet. While that is something that I could have seen TribCo doing, Ricketts is running this team a little more economically, and this is the crap that they will still be digging out of until the big Trib contracts are done.

Welcome to the New World Order of Cubs Nation.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:51 am 

jimmypasta wrote:
Everybody keeps saying the Cubs are stuck another 4 years with Soriano in LF. That has never been the case. I have explained this solution before. Cut him and put a capable low priced free agent OF (1-3 million) or minor league OF in LF. Do that for the next 4 years. You still have to pay him,regardless,so what the hell is the difference if he is on the team or not??? They need to get rid of this guy. He trots after flyballs. He can't run,he can't field & he strikes out waaayy too much. Things HAVE to be different under Mike Quade. Soriano is a memory,not even half the player he was.

(Last Cubs post until they Do something or it's spring-training time,I promise :drunken: )

Cue sjboyd standup impersonation:
whistler wrote:
u are spot on Jimmy.

That Bully Hendry should have never signed Soriano because he is bad at playing the field.

Plus, he could have kept Matt Murton who is a really hard worker for far less money and he would have really worked hard. Did u know that Matt Murton set a record for the most hits in Japan this year. Yet that bully Hendry that he wasn't good. U don't find good homegrown talent like Murton everyday.

End sjboyd standup impersonation.

Last edited by sjboyd0137 on Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:51 am 

Do you honestly believe Soriano was even in the top 5 of the Cubs problems last year?

Ever see him catch a ball over his head?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:53 am 

jimmypasta wrote:
Douchebag wrote:

It's probably not costing him very much. I would be willing to bet that most of those empty seats were paid for by scalpers/brokers who ate most of those tickets near the end of the season.

Let's say we go with your theory of eating 100% of this deal (as ludicrous as it sounds). You then add a journeyman or minor-leaguer (which is additional payroll). Would Soriano's replacement be any better? I doubt that would be the case. I'll take 25 HR's 80 RBI's and 40 2B's over Sam Fuld or the second coming of Jeremy Burnitz. Soriano is probably the worst signing in club history, but you can't make a serious case for eating the rest of that deal with four years remaining. The Cubs are going to have to ride it out for at least another two seasons before any other team will think of taking on the rest of that contract.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:55 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
jimmypasta wrote:

Ever see him catch a ball over his head?

I've never seen him catch a ball in his hat either, but who cares?

Top 5? Soriano is not in there. What is:

Aram not hitting, Lee not hitting, Zambrano going nuts, a horrible horrible bullpen, Lou giving up.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:58 am 

Frank,
Good points made there. Maybe Soriano should be handed a 1st Basemens glove.
He might be able to . That would be a question for Quade.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:04 am 

It's just not fiscally responsible to make this move. The guy hit .258 with an .818 OPS last year. He is obviously overpaid, but that's still somewhat decent numbers.

Fire Hendry, which is something everyone here agrees upon.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:07 am 

jimmypasta wrote:
Frank,
Good points made there. Maybe Soriano should be handed a 1st Basemens glove.
He might be able to . That would be a question for Quade.

I don't want this guy at 1B. He'd be that much more of a liability there. We're stuck with him in LF until we can dump his contract (or a small percentage of it) or it expires. He was moderately productive last year on offense and he is a good teammate.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:09 am 

Northside_Dan wrote:
It's just not fiscally responsible to make this move. The guy hit .258 with an .818 OPS last year. He is obviously overpaid, but that's still somewhat decent numbers.

Fire Hendry, which is something everyone here agrees upon.

Hendry's days are numbered. He is tied to Quade now so if the team doesn't perform well, he is toast as Ricketts made it known that the Quade hire was Hendry's.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:10 am 

pizza_Place: Lanny Poffo's Sausage and More
Jimmy's posts got me thinking about some moves the Cubs NEED to make. First, move Soriano back to second base. Hendry loves having at least six guys capable of playing second on the 25 man, why fight it. Next, move Ramirez to First Base. His defensive skills at third have gone down. This will eliminate any hidden deficiencies at third. Let's keep Third Base completely open. It will be the next generation of the shift. Let's see hitters figure this one out. Besides, this will be better for Castro's development having to cover more ground. Next, the Cubs should implement a middle-CF, similar to 16 inch softball. Move Dernier from First Base coach to this new position. He doesn't have wheels to be a full-time Center Fielder, but damn I bet that guy can still play. A First Base coach is not necessary.

I'll be expecting a check in the mail Quade. You're welcome.

I would cover for SHARK, Drop In, Dave in Champaign, my Mom, and Urlacher's Missing Neck. After that, the list gets pretty thin. There are a few people about whom I would definitely fabricate charges.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:10 am 

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:12 am 

just for the record,Frank,Larry Biittner had a ball roll under his cap. Biittner who came to the Cubs along with SP Steve Renko for Andre Thornton to the Expos was a solid hitter and a feared pinch hitter. He hit a pinch hit HR against the Pirates on opening day (forgot year) in the 9th inning to win a game.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:13 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Drop In wrote:
Next, the Cubs should implement a middle-CF, similar to 16 inch softball.

And if they can convince the league to eliminate stealing, Soto becomes a much better defensive catcher.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:25 am 

Drop In wrote:
Jimmy's posts got me thinking about some moves the Cubs NEED to make. First, move Soriano back to second base. Hendry loves having at least six guys capable of playing second on the 25 man, why fight it. Next, move Ramirez to First Base. His defensive skills at third have gone down. This will eliminate any hidden deficiencies at third. Let's keep Third Base completely open. It will be the next generation of the shift. Let's see hitters figure this one out. Besides, this will be better for Castro's development having to cover more ground. Next, the Cubs should implement a middle-CF, similar to 16 inch softball. Move Dernier from First Base coach to this new position. He doesn't have wheels to be a full-time Center Fielder, but damn I bet that guy can still play. A First Base coach is not necessary.

I'll be expecting a check in the mail Quade. You're welcome.

That is fucking awesome :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:38 am 

I got a response!!!!

Dear Mr. Drop In,

The Chicago Cubs would like to thank you for your suggestions. While Mr. Dernier has told us he's happy with his current position, your Starlin Castro development idea, full stop. Due to trends in the market, we are unable to offer any fiscal repayment. However, please provide your address. We will be sending you a Milton Bradley bobble head, and Cubs key chain!

Please pay attention to the included invoice with these items. It does have a short, but reasonable payment date. Thank you again for your valuable contributions, and we look forward to seeing you at every game this year.

Sincerely,

Tom Ricketts

I would cover for SHARK, Drop In, Dave in Champaign, my Mom, and Urlacher's Missing Neck. After that, the list gets pretty thin. There are a few people about whom I would definitely fabricate charges.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:02 pm 

Drop In,
I think your full of Bison Weiner. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:07 pm 

jimmypasta wrote:
Drop In,
I think your full of Bison Weiner. :lol:

Not since the last game I went to. Oh wait, I see what you did there. You're a slick one Jimmy.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
This is like Exhibit Z of Jimmy's "Meatballedness"...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
jimmypasta wrote: