It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 3:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Carlos Pena????
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Keyser Soze wrote:
Marlon Byrd was the best available last year. Carlos Pena was the best avialable this year. Who's going to be the best available next year? Coco Crisp? Melvin Mora? Jack Wilson? That's a sure fire way to end the 100+ year drought.

C'mon don't think like a fantasy owner. Go get bad players and let them gel as a team! Chemisty and good coaching wins championshps. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Lanny Poffo's Sausage and More
Keyser Soze wrote:
Marlon Byrd was the best available last year. Carlos Pena was the best avialable this year. Who's going to be the best available next year? Coco Crisp? Melvin Mora? Jack Wilson? That's a sure fire way to end the 100+ year drought.

I completely agree with you. I'm all about organization building. I believe that's the only reason Hendry is still around. Wilken is Hendry's boy. It was made clear that if Hendry goes, Tim Wilken goes.

I would cover for SHARK, Drop In, Dave in Champaign, my Mom, and Urlacher's Missing Neck. After that, the list gets pretty thin. There are a few people about whom I would definitely fabricate charges.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:01 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
Drop In wrote:
Keyser Soze wrote:

I completely agree with you. I'm all about organization building. I believe that's the only reason Hendry is still around. Wilken is Hendry's boy. It was made clear that if Hendry goes, Tim Wilken goes.

The one concern I have about his whole building thing is this possible Matt Garza trade in which the Cubs are reported to be dangling prospects. Unless they are damn sure these "prospects" are corey pattersons" instead of "Castros" then I don't like this. Garza would be around when this team sucks and then leave for some big money or sign an absurd contract extension. So unless they have a plan to dump some guys they don't think highly of for him and then turn around and trade him for some legit talent before the deadline I am not on board with this.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:07 am 

pizza_Place: Lanny Poffo's Sausage and More
Great organizations know their great prospects that suck.

I would cover for SHARK, Drop In, Dave in Champaign, my Mom, and Urlacher's Missing Neck. After that, the list gets pretty thin. There are a few people about whom I would definitely fabricate charges.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:09 am 

johnnyfontane wrote:
Keyser Soze wrote:

C'mon don't think like a fantasy owner. Go get bad players and let them gel as a team! Chemisty and good coaching wins championshps. :roll:

I never said chemistry and good coaching wins championships. I simply said, Pena was a good signing for what they are trying to do this year.

If you get lucky with a few players, you contend next year. If they all suck then you have alot of players coming off of contracts, including Pena. No harm, no foul type of trade.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:14 am 

pizza_Place: Beggars
Drop In wrote:
Keyser Soze wrote:

Who made it clear that Wilkens would go if Hendry goes? I've heard nothing to that effect. If anything, Ricketts will keep Wilkens around to get the young (and cheap) talent so he can pay down some debt.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:19 am 

pizza_Place: Beggars
Drop In wrote:
cpguy wrote:
Drop In wrote:
I'm not an optimist by any means. But I'm not buying into Cub gloom and doom for next year. This, again, was a nice/good, not great, signing. Carlos Pena was the best option available. Debate that all you want. I'll take this deal over Paulie's all day. For the Cubs. Also, it's a one year deal! Jim Hendry's closest confidants blew chunks hearing Pena didn't get an eight year, 340 million dollar deal. Did I have to mention the no-trade?

I disagree. They should have traded for a young first basemen with an upside as opposed to Pena at 10M.

What if they were sold Chris Davis is the answer for three years? Even if he ends up sucking from day one?

My whole thing is the band-aid bullshit, throwing 10M at 1 guy so they don't suck big time as opposed to trading for young talent that may actually help you win something down the road. Take that 10M and sign some international talent for example and see of Colvin can handle first base. WTF not? They're already stuck paying most if not all of Fukodome's bloated contract assuming they can't move him. They'd have to eat 10M minimum of that contract.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:04 am 

pizza_Place: Passero's
cpguy wrote:
Drop In wrote:
What if they were sold Chris Davis is the answer for three years? Even if he ends up sucking from day one?

My whole thing is the band-aid bullshit, throwing 10M at 1 guy so they don't suck big time as opposed to trading for young talent that may actually help you win something down the road. Take that 10M and sign some international talent for example and see of Colvin can handle first base. WTF not? They're already stuck paying most if not all of Fukodome's bloated contract assuming they can't move him. They'd have to eat 10M minimum of that contract.

exactly...I dont have a problem with a 1-year band-aid, but for $10 million?

I seriously think nady would do great and he would covet the job...he did good last year and earned a chance...and he'd be cheap

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:08 am 

johnnyfontane wrote:
Juiced wrote:
If Pena does recover, the Cubs could be just a few breaks away from contention in a weak NL Central.

Yes if the breaks include Pujols' leg, Wainwright's arm, and Votto's coccyx.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

holy shit!! nice!!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:09 am 

johnnyfontane wrote:
Yes, how naive of me to think that great players help teams win divisions.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: