It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 8:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 192 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 4:56 pm 

pizza_Place: ------
Dethklok wrote:
Phil McCracken wrote:
Dethklok wrote:
But really, we should all know and understand that Quade don't have a positive VORM. (not that there is such a thing but you get the idea)

Quade = Negative VORM.

:lol: Who is your standard for the 1/1 ratio of VORM for being a completely mediocre manager. Jim Tracy?

:lol: :lol: awesome. Nah man I was just joking but it's an interesting thing, I mean, do you think that if the Cubs had hired, say, Bob Brenley instead of Quade to start the season, do you think they'd still be 16-20 today?

Yeah somewhere near there. The injuries to Cashner and Wells really scuttled the start of the season. Cashner in particular in his last outing looked like he might have been putting a few things together. And the TV broadcasts would have been way worse because Brenly has an insanely high VORB

Chus wrote:
RPB is right. You suck. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 4:56 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
RFDC wrote:
:lol: Troll fail

Ben Zobrist has had one season likely >>> than anything Starlin Castro will ever do offensively, and it looks like he's en route to another one.

I get the Cubs fan side of things... my uncle is a Cubs fan and when we were at the game vs the diamondbacks on april 5th (cashner vs barry enright WOOO!!!) he was already pulling for extra starlin castro at-bats cuz he quickly realized that one of the few things to look forward to on this cubs team is a starlin castro at-bat... marmol innings also come to mind.

That said, honestly, what do you view the ceiling for starlin castro to be? Is he going to develop 20+ HR power? Is he going to be a perennial .320+ hitter? Is he going to develop to a gold-glove SS? I mean, while I too like watching starlin castro bat, if this guy is your franchise then your franchise then it's no surprise why you worshipped ryne sandberg as your franchise player for a long time, and ryan sandberg could at least hit for some power!

BTW, seeing as you remember that i'm a troll and i remember absolutely nothing that you've ever posted other than seinfeld quotes, i'm #winning this one.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 4:57 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Peoria Matt wrote:
Dethklok wrote:
We knew Pena was a risk so that's a bit of a desperation wash (Burnitz, McGriff kind of thing).

Good God, I had completely forgotten about Burnitz.

What a pathetic fucking franchise my Dad passed on to me. And in following the sick tradition, my kids have chosen the Cubs.

I get him confused with Matt Stairs but burnitz wasn't terrible

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeromy_Burnitz

In 150 games, he led the Rockies with 37 home runs, hit a career high .283, and was second on the team with 110 RBI. He continued to hit well at Wrigley Field with a .258 average, 24 homers and 87 RBI in 160 games with the Cubs. On February 2, 2005, the Cubs signed Burnitz to a one year contract, the same day Sammy Sosa's trade to the Baltimore Orioles was finalized.

Burnitz was known as a good clubhouse man and a friendly, laid-back guy. During a slump in May 2006, he held an interview in order to apologize for failing to run out a grounder, then joked about the challenges that his team would face during the rest of the season, saying, "I'm your Highest-Paid Free Agent. That, in and of itself, should tell you the big picture that the team's in."

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 4:58 pm 

jimmypasta wrote:
Peoria Matt wrote:
Dethklok wrote:
We knew Pena was a risk so that's a bit of a desperation wash (Burnitz, McGriff kind of thing).

Good God, I had completely forgotten about Burnitz.

What a pathetic fucking franchise my Dad passed on to me. And in following the sick tradition, my kids have chosen the Cubs.

I get him confused with Matt Stairs but burnitz wasn't terrible

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeromy_Burnitz

In 150 games, he led the Rockies with 37 home runs, hit a career high .283, and was second on the team with 110 RBI. He continued to hit well at Wrigley Field with a .258 average, 24 homers and 87 RBI in 160 games with the Cubs. On February 2, 2005, the Cubs signed Burnitz to a one year contract, the same day Sammy Sosa's trade to the Baltimore Orioles was finalized.

Burnitz was known as a good clubhouse man and a friendly, laid-back guy. During a slump in May 2006, he held an interview in order to apologize for failing to run out a grounder, then joked about the challenges that his team would face during the rest of the season, saying, "I'm your Highest-Paid Free Agent. That, in and of itself, should tell you the big picture that the team's in."

I had a soft spot for Burnitz because I was so burned out of the Sosa era at that point.

Chus wrote:

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 5:03 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Dethklok wrote:
I liked Matt Stairs. That sommamitch is still out there somewhere.

I forgot what year(s) he was on the Cubs,but he lasted a lot longer then I thoght he would after he was let go by them.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 5:14 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
.258 average, 24 homers and 87 RBI....with that line, Burnitz looks like Pujols compared to Pena.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 5:15 pm 

Dethklok wrote:

Matt Stairs would be the scariest guy to come up in a 16 inch softball league

Chus wrote:

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 5:24 pm 

Zobrist is a Bad Motherfucker. Last year he slipped a bit.

I have already said I dont think you can build a team around Castro. He's a very good piece though.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 7:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Passero's
jimmypasta wrote:
Dethklok wrote:

I forgot what year(s) he was on the Cubs,but he lasted a lot longer then I thoght he would after he was let go by them.

fuck "grip it and rip it"

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 8:48 pm 

Yeah that .297 avg, 27 HRs and 91 RBI's in 2009 is just rarefied air. :roll:

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 6:45 am 

i didn't pay much attention to this series, pretty sure the cubs would lose it; i haven't really gotten excited about a cubs/cards series in a while. but i feel for RF who has to deal with all the card fans down there.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 7:20 am 

pizza_Place: Gino's - Sausage
Peoria Matt wrote:
.258 average, 24 homers and 87 RBI....with that line, Burnitz looks like Pujols compared to Pena.

Pena put up a similar line last season, except the part where he hit 60 points less. If Pena hits .258 this year, I'd say the Cubs are getting decent value on that contract.

Whether or not the Cubs should've signed Pena in the first place is an entirely different story.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 192 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7