It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 205 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Theo's Record
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:59 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
I understand that the tendency is for people to overestimate how much better players will get as they age.

But I do think Russell is one who will improve a bit offensively because he is so young and he hits more for power than contact. He will gain more power as he gets older, but he won't ever be a guy who hits for a great average. Regardless of age, he's not going to suddenly become a .290 hitter.

With the way the Cubs are structured now, though, I'll gladly take a gold glove caliber shortstop who can hit 25 HR a year but will go through dry spells offensively.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
I'm comfortable in saying that by 25 years old Russell will be an ~.800 OPS hitter.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Quonset
pittmike wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:
Russell doesn't turn 23 until January yet is already playing SS at an elite level. He should continue to reduce his Ks and improve at the plate. I honestly think he's still underrated.

That's something that doesn't usually happen. Baez looks like an exception.

Jorr, everything's possible. He's a Cub!

Trolls be trollin'

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Let's say Addy doesn't get better. I'll take this year's team results every near for the next decade. #greattogether

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:53 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
denisdman wrote:
Let's say Addy doesn't get better. I'll take this year's team results every near for the next decade. #greattogether

Of course you would. I would as well. This last discussion was specifically about one player though. My beef is that the Cub fans seem to have this amazing crystal ball such that they can always see their players getting better and better.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:39 pm 

pittmike wrote:
This last discussion was specifically about one player though. My beef is that the Cub fans seem to have this amazing crystal ball such that they can always see their players getting better and better.

So, when discussing a specific player, you get annoyed by your own generalization?

WTF?!

Obviously, Russell could get hit by a truck, break a leg, become addicted to drugs, not improve at the plate, regress in the field...Anything can happen. But, up to now, he has shown himself to be an elite level fielding shortstop at the age of 21...he showed signs of power with little plate discipline as a 21 year old major leaguer. At the age of 22, as a second year player, he hit 21 HRs and had 95 RBI...that's the best 22 and under line for a Cub since 1913. 11th pick in his draft, it's not like he came out of nowhere. 5th best dWAR in MLB. The kid's a stud on an upward trajectory. We're not talking about some overhyped prospect.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:06 pm 

GoldenJet wrote:
pittmike wrote:
This last discussion was specifically about one player though. My beef is that the Cub fans seem to have this amazing crystal ball such that they can always see their players getting better and better.

So, when discussing a specific player, you get annoyed by your own generalization?

WTF?!

Obviously, Russell could get hit by a truck, break a leg, become addicted to drugs, not improve at the plate, regress in the field...Anything can happen. But, up to now, he has shown himself to be an elite level fielding shortstop at the age of 21...he showed signs of power with little plate discipline as a 21 year old major leaguer. At the age of 22, as a second year player, he hit 21 HRs and had 95 RBI...that's the best 22 and under line for a Cub since 1913. 11th pick in his draft, it's not like he came out of nowhere. 5th best dWAR in MLB. The kid's a stud on an upward trajectory. We're not talking about some overhyped prospect.

Notice I did not assume or say he will not get better or that he would somehow end up trash. I am saying as great as he has been that might be it. Some seem to think that talent and ability is some sort of linear function that always goes up with age and experience. That is nto always true. Best of luck though. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:13 pm 

Cubs fans have reasons to be optimistic about guys like Addy. Rizzo had been a bum until he got here. Arrieta same thing. Baez and Bryant took large strides with their approach at the plate in 2016. Hendricks got a lot better in 2016.

It is probably a combination of things as the cause, but clearly the Cubs organization is helping players meet their potential at the major league level. But the biggest challenge will be seeing if Heyward is able to fix his swing in the off season and come back improved in 2017.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:31 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:
Russell doesn't turn 23 until January yet is already playing SS at an elite level. He should continue to reduce his Ks and improve at the plate. I honestly think he's still underrated.

We're not talking about "usually". We're talking about a top tier shortstop prospect who has turned into an elite fielder with 20+HR power and 90+ RBI at 22 years old, whose SO's dropped significantly from Rookie to Sophomore and BB's increased...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:40 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
GoldenJet wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:

We're not talking about "usually". We're talking about a top tier shortstop prospect who has turned into an elite fielder with 20+HR power and 90+ RBI at 22 years old, whose SO's dropped significantly from Rookie to Sophomore and BB's increased...

He struck out 135 times. You're doing just what pittmike said you're doing. Every Cub is just going to get better. I would never tell you that Tim Anderson is suddenly going to master control of the strikezone.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:45 pm 

That's all I was saying and not saying Russell sucks either. And Dennis it's not a commentary on this current incarnation or their ability it's the fans that think this way. I've been hearing this since Corey Patterson and probably before that.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:51 pm 

pittmike wrote:
That's all I was saying and not saying Russell sucks either. And Dennis it's not a commentary on this current incarnation or their ability it's the fans that think this way. I've been hearing this since Corey Patterson and probably before that.

Gotcha. Three ways it can go- he gets worse, stays the same, or gets better. No shocker that Cubs fans would think he will improve from a .240 average. The current management team has shown the ability to improve individual player performance. His age means he is no where near his peak. It's really not a leap.

But I get it. MANY fans project progression for every player, and reality says regression will also occur.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:53 pm 
Site Admin

denisdman wrote:
pittmike wrote:

Gotcha. Three ways it can go- he gets worse, stays the same, or gets better. No shocker that Cubs fans would think he will improve from a .240 average. The current management team has shown the ability to improve individual player performance. His age means he is no where near his peak. It's really not a leap.

But I get it. MANY fans project progression for every player, and reality says regression will also occur.

I think he'll get slightly better as he heads toward his peak in his mid to late twenties. I think leash has it about right above, except i wouldn't be shocked if he had a season where he hit .290. Everyone has a career year. But if you think he's suddenly going to walk 100 times and strike out less than 100, I think that's wishful thinking.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:31 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Jorr...who has better career..Addy or Anderson?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:42 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:

He struck out 135 times. You're doing just what pittmike said you're doing. Every Cub is just going to get better. I would never tell you that Tim Anderson is suddenly going to master control of the strikezone.

And he struck out 149 last year with 50 fewer plate appearances. He struck out 10% fewer times while getting 10% more at bats from his first year to his second. That's significant.

I think he will continue to improve at the plate for a few more seasons. He may even contend for an MVP once or twice. We'll just have to wait and see...that's all you can do.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:44 pm 
Site Admin

312player wrote:

I think you'd obviously have to say Russell, but neither one has much of a career.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:02 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
312player wrote:

I think you'd obviously have to say Russell, but neither one has much of a career.

Come on.

I think it is likely both teams have a solid SS for the next decade.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
RFDC wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
312player wrote:

Come on.

What? I'm almost certain Tim Anderson won't be playing SS for the Sox in 2025.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:09 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
312player wrote:

Come on.

What? I'm almost certain Tim Anderson won't be playing SS for the Sox in 2025.

Why not?

I thought he looked pretty good for his rookie season. Why would they not want to keep him around. There are way bigger areas of concern that must be addressed

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Gordon Beckham looked pretty good his rookie season too.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:18 pm 

Sox rookies suck. Got it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:54 pm 
Site Admin

RFDC wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
312player wrote:

Come on.

I thought he was asking who has had a better career thus far. That's what the tense suggests.

If he's asking who will have a better career when they're done, I have no idea. Russell is certainly the better shortstop. I would guess Anderson might be the more dynamic offensive player because of his speed.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:43 pm 

Nah, I meant who has the better career as far as a prediction. I think both are going to be very good and barring a major injury, both will be the SS for their club for the next 10-12 seasons.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:54 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
What is the difference between building the franchise for 3-5 years while not making the playoffs vs averaging 81-81 and not making the playoffs?
Nothing. Except the 81-81 team will tend to be 81-81...or worse.

Look at this shit since 2007, especially the last four years!!!
The Sox have been relatively terrible with Tim Anderson being the only light beyond Sale and Quintana.

It's not good. It doesn't appear to be getting better.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/his ... esults.jsp

I like the Theo model. It seems to be working...almost twice. I just wish the Sox would suck on purpose.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:00 pm 

Here's my beef with Theo's model, what happens if Houston takes Bryant?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Positanos on 55th Street
312player wrote:

But you could also wonder "what if the Cub had won one or two more games the year before?" Then Bryant is a Rockie.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:09 pm 

312player wrote:

you take the next highest guy on the board and keep pushing forward. the whole model did not depend on bryant

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:12 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
312player wrote:

Come on.

I thought he was asking who has had a better career thus far. That's what the tense suggests.

If he's asking who will have a better career when they're done, I have no idea. Russell is certainly the better shortstop. I would guess Anderson might be the more dynamic offensive player because of his speed.

The fact that you couldn't interpret 312's question is on you, my friend.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:15 pm 

312player wrote:

What the fuck are you talking about? What if Portland took Jordan? What if the bases were 120 feet apart?

I've never seen a fan base who twists themselves in pretzels to discredit the fucking team they root for. Every team has some luck, dude.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:23 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
120' apart, eh? so the pitchers mound is 90' away and 15" above home plate? I like this...
Cyberball! No more 68 year old umpires who can't see!

2005 was some serious luck...and ridiculous pitching. The Sox were 35-19 in one run games and 22-8 during the first half of the season.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 205 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next