It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:27 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 205 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Theo's Record
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:25 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
rogers park bryan wrote:
You were not real clear on your point at first.

Your point is: Prospects are just prospects and Russell would be lucky to be as good Austin Jackson right?

But the thing is prospects have value. Right now, Russell, McKinney and Straily is a better deal than getting Austin Jackson or Franklin

The post I responded to suggested that a Russell for Price trade straight up was better for Tampa than this one. It would be quite a stretch to suggest a guy who hasn't played beyond AA is a better value than a young guy who has a .340 OBP in the big leagues and who has cut down his strikeouts each season. I couldn't tell you why Tampa preferred not to keep Jackson. They obviously have their own plan. But to act like they missed out on some great thing but not trading Price for a AA guy in early July is kind of silly, isn't it?

And prospects have perceived value. It's a value that is constantly fluctuating, just like that of all players but to a greater degree.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:26 pm 
Site Admin

8675309 wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
8675309 wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
After all the trading yesterday it's pretty clear Theo flawlessly read the market and extracted an absurb amount of value.

Dumping Shark and Hammel at their peak onto Beane led him to scamble to shore up the A's pitching as the regression monster showed up. Hammel has absolutely shat the bed and Shark's performance has done nothing to justify a top-10 prospect batting .300 in AA, 19-year old batting .303 in A and a 25-year old pitcher once considered a ROY.

Add picking up Bonnie for free in spring training and packaging him with the forgettable J. Russell in exchange for future Evan Gattis.

Not sure I've ever seen a run of magnificence like Theo has been on.

Totally agree and I'd love to hear how that isn't the case.
I'm even more impressed with Theo & Co. if it's true that the Rays turned down a straight up deal of Addison Russell for David Price before letting the Cubs get him and then the Rays settling for pile of blah.

You should wish and pray that Addison Russell is ever as good as Austin Jackson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpzR3bQQ7wc

What are you talking about? You do know that Price was traded for Austin Jackson, don't you?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Lugi's of Hong Kong

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:57 pm 
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Marked down another W for St Theo.

Quote:
Jeff PassanVerified account ‏@JeffPassan
Sources: Braves RHP Arodys Vizcaino suspended for 80 games for PEDs. Announcement expected sometime soon.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:22 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Kirkwood wrote:

Quote:
Sources: Braves RHP Arodys Vizcaino suspended for 80 games for PEDs. Announcement expected sometime soon.

I wonder if the Cubs will "make this right" and give them someone else.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:41 pm 

I didn't realize he was no longer with the Cubs. I remember Cubs fan hype on him less than one year ago.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:01 am 

jimmypasta wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:

Quote:

Huh?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Positanos on 55th Street
rogers park bryan wrote:
jimmypasta wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:

Quote:

Huh?

Gord Ash syndrome I'm guessing.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

You should wish and pray that Addison Russell is ever as good as Austin Jackson.

We'll get to see this up close now.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
FavreFan wrote:
Since being hired President of the Cubs is 165-246 at the MLB level. Im starting to think there's almost no chance he finishes over .500 by the end of his Cubs tenure. IMO, thats one of the simplest but biggest reasons his plan was extreme and foolish. There's been a ton of talk lately over what the ideal expectations are going forward. Cubs fans are rightfully frustrated because they think they cant win either way. If they are too optimistic and expect a world series win and 90+ wins in 6 out of 8 seasons then they are labeled as kool aid drinking morons. If they temper their expectations then they get reminded that their team just sucked holy balls for 3 years in a row just to get a chance to be as good as they were in the Jim Hendry era. Just remember it was Theo who put you guys in this situation as fans. Us Sox fans just think you guys deserve better after all you've been through.

Thinking is overrated.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Poor FF.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:30 am 
Site Admin

spmack wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

We'll get to see this up close now.

Well, it's a lot easier to see what Russell might be now that he has played a couple seasons. That doesn't change the point that if any guy in AA turns out to be someone who can hit at big league average for seven seasons, he's doing pretty well.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:00 am 

pizza_Place: Quonset
If you get 20+ HRs and 90+ RBI does it really matter if Russell bats under .260?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:08 am 
Site Admin

GoldenJet wrote:
If you get 20+ HRs and 90+ RBI does it really matter if Russell bats under .260?

I'm sure he'll get his 20 homers, but he's probably not going to get 90 RBI hitting the way he did this year. And he hasn't hit close to .260. He's around .240. With his defense and power, he's not an issue for this team. And a lot of his hits fell in the right places this season.

Nick Ahmed is probably the best shortstop in baseball or just behind Simmons, but he can't hit enough to keep an everyday job. I don't really think that's a problem for Russell, but if he just goes along like he has the last two years, he won't be a darling the way he is now.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:15 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
I don't care if he hits .240 ...his glove is outstanding and he hits when guys are on base, plus he's got power..a perennial 20+ guy.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:22 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
He's better with the glove than I thought he would be but when you're gettting compared to Barry Larkin I figured he'd hit better than .240. If he learns to use the middle/ right side of the field that should bring his avg up.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:40 am 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
That guy on the Dodgers looks like a good SS,too.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:00 am 

pizza_Place: maciano's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
. And a lot of his hits fell in the right places this season.

Out of 146 qualified hitters last year, his bapip of .277 finished 121 out of 146. I'd consider that a fair amount of bad luck likely to normalize as time goes on.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:01 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:

I'm sure he'll get his 20 homers, but he's probably not going to get 90 RBI hitting the way he did this year. And he hasn't hit close to .260. He's around .240. With his defense and power, he's not an issue for this team. And a lot of his hits fell in the right places this season.

Nick Ahmed is probably the best shortstop in baseball or just behind Simmons, but he can't hit enough to keep an everyday job. I don't really think that's a problem for Russell, but if he just goes along like he has the last two years, he won't be a darling the way he is now.

I know where he's at currently...I think his Avg kicks up significantly over the next couple years. He has a pretty sweet swing.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:06 am 
Site Admin

TurdFerguson wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Out of 146 qualified hitters last year, his bapip of .277 finished 121 out of 146. I'd consider that a fair amount of bad luck likely to normalize as time goes on.

BABIP is really a pitcher's statistic.The average on balls in play (by a cross-section of batters vs. a pitcher) normalizes around .300. It doesn't necessarily do that for an individual hitter.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:11 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
badrogue17 wrote:
He's better with the glove than I thought he would be but when you're gettting compared to Barry Larkin I figured he'd hit better than .240. If he learns to use the middle/ right side of the field that should bring his avg up.

Its not a horrible comp, he's larkinesque with the leather, he's probably never going to have a high obp or hit 300 ... But he's going to improve, I could see him a .270ish hitter with a. 350 obp and knocking in 80-100 yearly. 22ish homers...I love the guy.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:13 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
TurdFerguson wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

BABIP is really a pitcher's statistic.The average on balls in play (by a cross-section of batters vs. a pitcher) normalizes around .300. It doesn't necessarily do that for an individual hitter.

I agree for the most part, but I wouldn't project a quick 22 year old short stop to be in the bottom 5th in the league in that metric. For example, his rookie season he had a .324 babip so that is a pretty wide variance for 2 years. In 2016, he improved his walk rate, cut his strike outs, and hit for more power. I see his BABIP heading back up toward .300 in the future.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:18 am 

Russell doesn't turn 23 until January yet is already playing SS at an elite level. He should continue to reduce his Ks and improve at the plate. I honestly think he's still underrated.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:23 am 

I hadn't looked at Larkin's stats in a while. Holy shit was he good. He gets a steroid era asterick, but its no insult to Russel to say he is no Barry Larkin. His k'ed 9% for his career, he almost had as many extra base hits as K's.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:27 am 
Site Admin

GoldenJet wrote:
Russell doesn't turn 23 until January yet is already playing SS at an elite level. He should continue to reduce his Ks and improve at the plate. I honestly think he's still underrated.

That's something that doesn't usually happen. Baez looks like an exception.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:30 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:

That's something that doesn't usually happen. Baez looks like an exception.

Jorr, everything's possible. He's a Cub!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:31 am 
Site Admin

TurdFerguson wrote:
I hadn't looked at Larkin's stats in a while. Holy shit was he good. He gets a steroid era asterick, but its no insult to Russel to say he is no Barry Larkin. His k'ed 9% for his career, he almost had as many extra base hits as K's.

I honestly believe that MLB fucking with the baseballs (along with smaller ballparks) had more to do with the huge offense of the "Steroid Era" than PEDs. I think they gassed the balls up again this season after a couple years where it appeared we were in a modern deadball era. But while power was up, contact really wasn't. Guys strikeout more than ever. That being the case, how much does defense really matter when half the outs are being recorded via the strikeout?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:37 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
TurdFerguson wrote:

I honestly believe that MLB fucking with the baseballs (along with smaller ballparks) had more to do with the huge offense of the "Steroid Era" than PEDs. I think they gassed the balls up again this season after a couple years where it appeared we were in a modern deadball era. But while power was up, contact really wasn't. Guys strikeout more than ever. That being the case, how much does defense really matter when half the outs are being recorded via the strikeout?

In regards to the defense mattering, I'd point to the Cubs. There defense was terrific and their entire staff benefited. As a baseball fan, I want to see Sale in front of that defense. I think he turns in 2 or 3 no hitter.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:48 am 
Site Admin

TurdFerguson wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
TurdFerguson wrote:

In regards to the defense mattering, I'd point to the Cubs. There defense was terrific and their entire staff benefited. As a baseball fan, I want to see Sale in front of that defense. I think he turns in 2 or 3 no hitter.

Clearly, a good defense is better than a shitty one. I'm just pointing out that there are less balls in play than ever.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 205 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next