It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 205 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Theo's Record
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:05 am 

Jaw Breaker wrote:
They do, but the question is whether this approach of tanking a half decade of seasons or more is worth it. For me, anything less than a WS appearance is a complete failure. As much as I hated most of Hendry's moves, they were "in the mix" several times and in other years they had enough talent but the players underperformed.

Yeah, that's not what I was saying. Im talking in general about building a team to win.

I agree with what you say there

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:06 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
You are talking about future seasons. I'm talking about the results. IMU seems to be talking about results too. He'd be disappointed with a World Series win if the Cubs weren't good for another few years.

I mean, of course you want your team to be good as much as possible. I just wouldn't celebrate consistency if it doesn't lead to at least one title.

If you're a Cub fan that will be disappointed after a World Series win, I cant help you

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:08 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Hatchetman wrote:
There is a business case to be made for being consistently good, rather than the Kenny Williams "win or bust" philosophy.

Like the Bulls under John Paxson, interestingly enough.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:40 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Hatchetman wrote:
There is a business case to be made for being consistently good, rather than the Kenny Williams "win or bust" philosophy.

Right, but that may not be a great philosophy for a team that hasn't won in 108 years. I think if the Cubs need to dump highly valued prospects at any point to put them in a better position to win a World Series they have to do it. You don't really get that many chances unless you're the Yankees. The Nationals had their chance to win it and they made a decision based on their assumed "future dominance". Now they'll probably never have a better chance to win than they did the season they shut down Strasburg with arguably the best team in the game. But who knows? Maybe they'll win it this year and that will be forgotten.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:42 am 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
"Being consistently in the mix" is overrated.

So wait...since when did Boilermaker Rick become a fan of Theo's intentional losing?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:44 am 

immessedup17 wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

So wait...since when did Boilermaker Rick become a fan of Theo's intentional losing?
No.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:49 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

What makes the Cardinals and the Yankees what they are, and what makes the Sox and the Cubs what they are is the number of championships. It sucks that in recent decades both the Sox and Cubs haven't had championships or lots of playoff apperances.

You think the A's and Tigers will think the season was a success if they just are "in the mix"?

So you have done a 180 on all of this?

For a long time you have been saying that the Sox over the last 25 years have a good record of this and are in contention for the division often...

So you have changed your tune on all this?

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:53 am 

RFDC wrote:

For a long time you have been saying that the Sox over the last 25 years have a good record of this and are in contention for the division often...

No.

The discussion of regular season success was always secondary. It was often used because people were putting down the "only 1 title and then they sucked".

I'm not saying regular season success is meaningless.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:57 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
immessedup17 wrote:
A 2005 White Sox situation, to me, would be a failure.
Winning a WORLD SERIES, something the Cubs haven't done since before World War I, would be a failure?

And you dared to quote something I said yesterday and call it dumb? This is, without question, in the team photo for stupidest thing ever said by anybody (mults included) in the history of this board.

Its so stupid, in fact, that its going to become my signature so people can see it for a long, long time.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:59 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
RFDC wrote:

No.

The discussion of regular season success was always secondary. It was often used because people were putting down the "only 1 title and then they sucked".

I'm not saying regular season success is meaningless.

:lol: ah I see.

It is overrated when it fits your purpose.

But when it helps you in a Cubs/Sox pissing match then it isn't meaningless

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:03 am 

RFDC wrote:

What does this have to do with the Cubs and Sox? The Cubs haven't been consistently good or won a title.

Are you honestly saying that I am wrong that winning a title is more important than making the playoffs a lot? Do you share the sentiment from IMU that the White Sox 2005 season was a "failure"?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:04 am 

pizza_Place: Lugi's of Hong Kong
Frank Coztansa wrote:
immessedup17 wrote:
A 2005 White Sox situation, to me, would be a failure.
Winning a WORLD SERIES, something the Cubs haven't done since before World War I, would be a failure?

And you dared to quote something I said yesterday and call it dumb? This is, without question, in the team photo for stupidest thing ever said by anybody (mults included) in the history of this board.

Its so stupid, in fact, that its going to become my signature so people can see it for a long, long time.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:05 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Excellent counterpoint.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:11 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
RFDC wrote:

What does this have to do with the Cubs and Sox? The Cubs haven't been consistently good or won a title.

Are you honestly saying that I am wrong that winning a title is more important than making the playoffs a lot? Do you share the sentiment from IMU that the White Sox 2005 season was a "failure"?

I do not agree with that thought.

Just funny how the narrative changes to fit your purpose depending on the topic.

Being in the mix consistently is overrated. That is one to remember.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:14 am 

RFDC wrote:
Just funny how the narrative changes to fit your purpose depending on the topic.

Being in the mix consistently is overrated. That is one to remember.
The narrative didn't change! The Sox WON a title! :lol:

I've been consistent. I believe my statement was something like "I wouldn't trade the A's or Rays success for the White Sox success of the past 10 years".

But hey, if you want to hold against me the crazy concept that winning a title is the best thing you can do then go ahead.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:58 am 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
I wish I had a job where I can suck at for 3-5 years and my excuse would be: "It's OK boss,because I'm not trying".

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:58 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
jimmypasta wrote:
I wish I had a job where I can suck at for 3-5 years and my excuse would be: "It's OK boss,because I'm not trying".

:lol:

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:52 pm 

8675309 wrote:

cheap version

I still have my Anthony Thomas and Brian Urlacher rookie year bobbleheads from Mc Donalds

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:02 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
After all the trading yesterday it's pretty clear Theo flawlessly read the market and extracted an absurb amount of value.

Dumping Shark and Hammel at their peak onto Beane led him to scamble to shore up the A's pitching as the regression monster showed up. Hammel has absolutely shat the bed and Shark's performance has done nothing to justify a top-10 prospect batting .300 in AA, 19-year old batting .303 in A and a 25-year old pitcher once considered a ROY.

Add picking up Bonnie for free in spring training and packaging him with the forgettable J. Russell in exchange for future Evan Gattis.

Not sure I've ever seen a run of magnificence like Theo has been on.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:32 am 

Kirkwood wrote:
After all the trading yesterday it's pretty clear Theo flawlessly read the market and extracted an absurb amount of value.

Dumping Shark and Hammel at their peak onto Beane led him to scamble to shore up the A's pitching as the regression monster showed up. Hammel has absolutely shat the bed and Shark's performance has done nothing to justify a top-10 prospect batting .300 in AA, 19-year old batting .303 in A and a 25-year old pitcher once considered a ROY.

Add picking up Bonnie for free in spring training and packaging him with the forgettable J. Russell in exchange for future Evan Gattis.

Totally agree and I'd love to hear how that isn't the case.
I'm even more impressed with Theo & Co. if it's true that the Rays turned down a straight up deal of Addison Russell for David Price before letting the Cubs get him and then the Rays settling for pile of blah.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:48 am 
Site Admin

8675309 wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:

I'm even more impressed with Theo & Co. if it's true that the Rays turned down a straight up deal of Addison Russell for David Price before letting the Cubs get him and then the Rays settling for pile of blah.

You should wish and pray that Addison Russell is ever as good as Austin Jackson.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:50 am 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
8675309 wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:

You should wish and pray that Addison Russell is ever as good as Austin Jackson.

Rays did not get Austin Jackson in the deal.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:54 am 
Site Admin

Big Chicagoan wrote:

I know, but he's acting like Russell was a bigger prize than anyone in this deal. Who knows if he's better than either Adames or Franklin?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Big Chicagoan wrote:

I know, but he's acting like Russell was a bigger prize than anyone in this deal. Who knows if he's better than either Adames or Franklin?

That wasn't your original "point". Which point are you now making, the first one (which was untenable) or the second one (which is a little hard to prove at this point)?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:52 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Big Chicagoan wrote:

Either you are a Jedi and I fought it off or you just had a stroke.

Think about your response to your fuck up of facts and try again.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:03 pm 
Site Admin

City of Fools wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Big Chicagoan wrote:

That wasn't your original "point". Which point are you now making, the first one (which was untenable) or the second one (which is a little hard to prove at this point)?

:lol: Are you telling me what my point was? Obviously, Tampa could have had Jackson. They didn't need the third team if they had wanted to go that route.

See RPB, this is why Cub fans get stereotyped as goofs.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:16 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
City of Fools wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Big Chicagoan wrote:

:lol: Are you telling me what my point was? Obviously, Tampa could have had Jackson. They didn't need the third team if they had wanted to go that route.

You were not real clear on your point at first.

Your point is: Prospects are just prospects and Russell would be lucky to be as good Austin Jackson right?

But the thing is prospects have value. Right now, Russell, McKinney and Straily is a better deal than getting Austin Jackson or Franklin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
City of Fools wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Big Chicagoan wrote:

anyone reading your thoughts and my thoughts on this page can judge for themselves who the goof is, friend.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:19 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
8675309 wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpzR3bQQ7wc

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 205 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next