It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 192 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Fire Maddon
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:48 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Kirkwood wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
:lol: This should be amusing for everyone who argues with me how much managers matter. Did Maddon's geniusness wear off?

Yesterday was a perfect reason why they matter. Did his best Ventura imitation by pulling an effective starter early and then didn't pull his reliever until he fucked up the inning.
I think the point is that genius moves only look good when they work.

If Joe uses literally anyone else other than Peralta or Richard and the Cubs still lose there wouldn't be complaints. There was no reason for Peralta to be there.

See? You've never managed a big league game and you know more than the guy who is considered the best. If that isn't a case for managers not meaning a goddamn thing I don't know what is.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:22 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
:lol: This should be amusing for everyone who argues with me how much managers matter. Did Maddon's geniusness wear off?

Yesterday was a perfect reason why they matter. Did his best Ventura imitation by pulling an effective starter early and then didn't pull his reliever until he fucked up the inning.

If Joe uses literally anyone else other than Peralta or Richard and the Cubs still lose there wouldn't be complaints. There was no reason for Peralta to be there.

See? You've never managed a big league game and you know more than the guy who is considered the best. If that isn't a case for managers not meaning a goddamn thing I don't know what is.

What were your thoughts of the Tuesday Night game?

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:35 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
conns7901 wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

What were your thoughts of the Tuesday Night game?

Quintana is very average.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:42 am 

Merlot Joe strikes again.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:20 am 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
He gave a guy one more shot before the all-star break against a contender holding a nine-game lead in their division. Now he knows what he has (or doesn't have) ... for all we know he may have done it to make a point to the FO saying 'hey fuckos, get me some frigging pitching already'.

Relax already.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:46 pm 

Kirkwood wrote:
What I mean is that the games he "wins" with his crazy moves are almost certainly cancelled about by the games he loses by his crazy moves.

Still wondering why the pitcher batted 9th in the playoffs.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:49 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
What I mean is that the games he "wins" with his crazy moves are almost certainly cancelled about by the games he loses by his crazy moves.

Still wondering why the pitcher batted 9th in the playoffs.

They laughed at Don Zimmer for the hit and run with the bases loaded in 1989 but somehow this wacky professor get's a free pass.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Positanos on 55th Street
For the record, I don't want Peralta on the roster. Now or ever.

I'm guessing the reasoning behind going with him at that point in the game was because Wood wasn't available to face the lefties. Grimm and Edwards had also been used heavily in Cinci so they too were unavailable. I still would have went with Cahill before Peralta, but what are his numbers against left handed hitting this year? And, if better defense is displayed in that inning we might have had a tie game instead of losing the lead.

Then again, maybe Maddon was just trying to prove a point to the FO that the team needs somebody else out there in the pen.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
WTF did he use Rondon there against all those lefties?!?!?!?!??!?! Wood was warm and ready.

Stupid Merlot Joe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Kirkwood wrote:
WTF did he use Rondon there against all those lefties?!?!?!?!??!?! Wood was warm and ready.

Stupid Merlot Joe

I wouldn't have had him in the game period.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:41 am 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Bump.

His act has worn out. He did his best to fuck up the World Series and he succeeded in fucking up Kyle Schwarber. These guys ran around the world in the off season (they earned it) but instead of cracking the whip in ST, he played it cool and went easy on them. He comes off as a know-it-all prick when questioned on his stupid moves. Fuck him. Let Dave Martinez take over and see what he can do.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:49 am 

Hank Scorpio wrote:
Bump.

His act has worn out. He did his best to fuck up the World Series and he succeeded in fucking up Kyle Schwarber. These guys ran around the world in the off season (they earned it) but instead of cracking the whip in ST, he played it cool and went easy on them. He comes off as a know-it-all prick when questioned on his stupid moves. Fuck him. Let Dave Martinez take over and see what he can do.

Yeah,hire Davey. On the next get away day when leaving for the airport,he can have the rookies wearing corncob dresses.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:51 am 

pizza_Place: John's

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:52 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Maddon is good manager, sure he had a bad series against Cleveland but he was great for 162 and against SF and LA. I don't see how you can fault him for Schwarber, the guy just looked bad this year.. He looked bad anywhere in the order.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:53 am 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:00 am 

It's a World Series hangover. You were warned this could happen. I wish some of you beta's could just deal with it instead of crying all the time.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:07 am 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
Caller Bob wrote:
It's a World Series hangover. You were warned this could happen. I wish some of you beta's could just deal with it instead of crying all the time.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:09 am 

Longest. hangover. ever. Time to stop using that as an excuse.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:13 am 

Hank Scorpio wrote:

The 2011, 2013 and 2015 San Francisco Giants say 'hi'

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:16 am 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
Caller Bob wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:20 am 

Caller Bob wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:

:lol: :lol:

Well shit. You guarantee two more WS wins and I'll gladly dance along the path of mediocrity every other season.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
312player wrote:
Maddon is good manager, sure he had a bad series against Cleveland but he was great for 162 and against SF and LA. I don't see how you can fault him for Schwarber, the guy just looked bad this year.. He looked bad anywhere in the order.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/how-shou ... a-manager/

Maddon was one of the worst at effectively managing his bullpen last year:

How well reliever performance for the Cubs correlated with the weighted overall leverage of any given appearance ranked 28th among all managers in baseball.

Simply put, the performance of any one of Maddon's relievers was not predictive of whether they showed up in tight game situations. He remained incredibly static in his bullpen use, more often to the detriment of his team, because the guys best at getting outs weren't being used when outs were most helpful.

For all his New Age baloney, Maddon is just a little better than Mike Matheny at managing his bullpen, something an MLB manager will have to do almost every game.

That said, Maddon's lineup construction is well above average, and was one of the best in the league in 2016...when their offense was 3rd in baseball in OPS+. My guess would be that a team would prefer to have a manager who is better at managing a bullpen to prevent opposing run production for the if and when of an atrophy in offensive production (2017).

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:06 pm 

Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
That said, Maddon's lineup construction is well above average, and was one of the best in the league in 2016...when their offense was 3rd in baseball in OPS+. My guess would be that a team would prefer to have a manager who is better at managing a bullpen to prevent opposing run production for the if and when of an atrophy in offensive production (2017).

I suppose that could well be true, but if it were to a certianty, then the 1990s Braves wouldn't be the (almost) Buffalo Bills of baseball.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Parts Unknown
Maybe he will make the team watch him fuck a clown and or magician.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:47 pm 

ToxicMasculinity wrote:

Why not both?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:00 pm 

Don Tiny wrote:
ToxicMasculinity wrote:

Why not both?

Damn straight. Whatever it takes.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 7:23 pm 

312player wrote:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/how-shou ... a-manager/

Maddon was one of the worst at effectively managing his bullpen last year:

How well reliever performance for the Cubs correlated with the weighted overall leverage of any given appearance ranked 28th among all managers in baseball.

Simply put, the performance of any one of Maddon's relievers was not predictive of whether they showed up in tight game situations. He remained incredibly static in his bullpen use, more often to the detriment of his team, because the guys best at getting outs weren't being used when outs were most helpful.

For all his New Age baloney, Maddon is just a little better than Mike Matheny at managing his bullpen, something an MLB manager will have to do almost every game.

His pen was sub par, what can a guy do? He win 96 games n the WS.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:40 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
312player wrote:
His pen was sub par, what can a guy do?

His relievers ranked 5th in ERA and 5th in WHIP in 2016. The bullpen had 5 guys post a FIP at or below 3.50 while tossing more than 20 innings, which was tied for the highest number of sub-3.50 FIP relievers in MLB. He had, arguably, one of the best bullpens in baseball, and still couldn't be bothered to bring the right guys in during high leverage situations.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:29 pm 

312player wrote:
His pen was sub par, what can a guy do?

His relievers ranked 5th in ERA and 5th in WHIP in 2016. The bullpen had 5 guys post a FIP at or below 3.50 while tossing more than 20 innings, which was tied for the highest number of sub-3.50 FIP relievers in MLB. He had, arguably, one of the best bullpens in baseball, and still couldn't be bothered to bring the right guys in during high leverage situations.

Those guys that were reliable like Rondon and Strop kinda sucked by late September and October, he basically had Wood, Chapman and Edwards to use to get the job done. He didn't know how to use Chapman.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:23 am 

If he puts Schwarber back at leadoff when he returns and it doesn't work Maddon has to be answerable.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 192 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next