It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 455 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sell off 2016
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:39 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Big Chicagoan is tanking his posts.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Big Chicagoan wrote:
Is there a fan base in more denial than Sox fans. You think the Sox have been attempting to compete the last 3 years? They fill the roster with mediocre talent by doing busy work in the offseason making trades for mediocre players and signing mediocre free agents. The fans think they are building a major league roster to compete, but they are really just building a roster to keep ticket sales just good enough not hurt and not good enough so they have to pay the state money.

The Sox are not trying to win anything. Why people believe otherwise in the face of evidence to the contrary, I do not know. Ventura? LaRoche? Frazier? Whatever that loser from Oakland's name is? You think they were trying to win?!?!?

You don't try to win and continuously end up with one of the worst records in baseball. They don't care, but Sox fans just keep lying to themselves. Still blinded by 2005. Had Kenny not lucked into that roster, maybe the fans could see them for what they are. Con men.

Yeah, this is stupid. By your logic, every team that has been bad for more than one season in a row is purposely trying to lose. They clearly are *trying* to compete. Rick, Kenny, and whoever else are just lousy at their jobs.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
FavreFan wrote:
Big Chicagoan wrote:
Is there a fan base in more denial than Sox fans. You think the Sox have been attempting to compete the last 3 years? They fill the roster with mediocre talent by doing busy work in the offseason making trades for mediocre players and signing mediocre free agents. The fans think they are building a major league roster to compete, but they are really just building a roster to keep ticket sales just good enough not hurt and not good enough so they have to pay the state money.

The Sox are not trying to win anything. Why people believe otherwise in the face of evidence to the contrary, I do not know. Ventura? LaRoche? Frazier? Whatever that loser from Oakland's name is? You think they were trying to win?!?!?

You don't try to win and continuously end up with one of the worst records in baseball. They don't care, but Sox fans just keep lying to themselves. Still blinded by 2005. Had Kenny not lucked into that roster, maybe the fans could see them for what they are. Con men.

Yeah, this is stupid. By your logic, every team that has been bad for more than one season in a row is purposely trying to lose. They clearly are *trying* to compete. Rick, Kenny, and whoever else are just lousy at their jobs.

Denial.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:46 pm 

Big Chicagoan wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Big Chicagoan wrote:

Denial.

It's not denial. There's no lack of criticism coming from the Sox fan base toward the front office. What you wrote is just patently stupid.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Lyin' Chicagoan.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:47 pm 
100000 CLUB

How are Sox fans in denial? Im not sure there is one guy on this board who has said the Sox should be buyers because they are a good team right now. Not even Keyser, who is the Soxiest fan of them all.

You're just making stupid post after stupid post BC

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
FavreFan wrote:
Big Chicagoan wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Big Chicagoan wrote:

Denial.

It's not denial. There's no lack of criticism coming from the Sox fan base toward the front office. What you wrote is just patently stupid.

Not really criticism when you always end it with "but they are trying to win". They aren't intentionally losing, they are just putting teams on the field that lose a lot.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:52 pm 

They are trying to win, and they are failing horribly at it. If you don't think that is criticism, you're a pretty confused person.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
The material difference comes from making the decision after a failed attempt at competing, vs not attempting to compete whatsoever over the course of multiple seasons. It's not a difference of degree as you're suggesting.

Could the Sox still mathematically win their division or a wild card?

Sure, mathematically. But that's a shitty attempt at a "gotcha". It's clear to anyone who's paying attention that they are not going to make the playoffs, or even come close. As I said, they attempted to compete this year and failed.

:lol: So when is not trying your best to win acceptable and when is it not? 1/4 of the way through the season? 1/3? This is so obviously making up your own rules, it's comical.

Not surprising that you can't catch fish with that defeatist attitude.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:09 pm 

It's not a difficult difference to grasp. I believe it's ok to tank the last 70 games of the season if you are out of the race. I would not be happy if they tore everything down so far that they publicly admitted the Sox wouldn't be competitive for the next 2-3 seasons.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:15 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
It's not a difficult difference to grasp. I believe it's ok to tank the last 70 games of the season if you are out of the race. I would not be happy if they tore everything down so far that they publicly admitted the Sox wouldn't be competitive for the next 2-3 seasons.

But they're not out of the race. Not even close. So who decides when it's okay to start tanking, from an ethical perspective?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:19 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

But they're not out of the race. Not even close. So who decides when it's okay to start tanking, from an ethical perspective?

:lol: I don't think it's that serious.

I'm mainly just speaking from my own personal point of view. What Theo did seems to have had successful results right now, but I would never want a team I root for to be intentionally bad for three straight seasons. I understand the counter point, especially because the Sox are unintentionally bad every year anyway. I've never argued the ethics of it and would find anyone who did amusing.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:05 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
I don't really think it's an ethical situation as much as a practical one. If the Sox tried to do what the Cubs did there would be almost no one at the ballpark. Now, I guess Reinsdorf's lease makes such a thing doable in the same way the specialness of Wrigley made it doable for the Cubs. But hell, twenty years later, fucking Sox fans still whine about the "White Flag" trade. That didn't make me mad at the time. I agreed with Reinsdorf that they were never gonna catch Cleveland. Plus, you see that the Sox aren't gonna catch a break from the media. They tank, it's "White Flag". The Cubs tank, it's a necessary act of sheer genius.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:09 am 

It would be comparable if the sox now tanked for 3 straight years like the cubs did after trying to compete and failing to do so. If they get new gm who does that then we can talk about this subject.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:15 am 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I don't really think it's an ethical situation as much as a practical one. If the Sox tried to do what the Cubs did there would be almost no one at the ballpark. Now, I guess Reinsdorf's lease makes such a thing doable in the same way the specialness of Wrigley made it doable for the Cubs. But hell, twenty years later, fucking Sox fans still whine about the "White Flag" trade. That didn't make me mad at the time. I agreed with Reinsdorf that they were never gonna catch Cleveland. Plus, you see that the Sox aren't gonna catch a break from the media. They tank, it's "White Flag". The Cubs tank, it's a necessary act of sheer genius.

Well,not with all Cub fans. If the Sox got 4 grade A prospects plus a decent SP in return,that wouldn't be such a bad deal for Sale. The question is who is judging these prospects.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:18 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
I thought Texas got cleaned out with Cole Hamels trade..I don't think they have enough talent left to make a Sale trade.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:28 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
It would be comparable if the sox now tanked for 3 straight years like the cubs did after trying to compete and failing to do so. If they get new gm who does that then we can talk about this subject.

So, what is an acceptable amount of "tanking"?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:33 am 

FavreFan wrote:
Big Chicagoan wrote:

Its not far fetched at all to suggest they sign players with ticket sales (not championships) in mind

That's why they always get well known veterans past their prime

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:29 am 

leashyourkids wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Going into the season not wanting to win? 1 year at most with a plan to compete the next year.

Selling at the deadline when it doesn't work out in a given year is fine though.

I mean, it has worked out pretty well for the Cubs, though a lot of that is just them finally spending like a big market team, but plenty of teams do one year rebuilds too.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:53 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Going into the season not wanting to win? 1 year at most with a plan to compete the next year.

Selling at the deadline when it doesn't work out in a given year is fine though.

I mean, it has worked out pretty well for the Cubs, though a lot of that is just them finally spending like a big market team, but plenty of teams do one year rebuilds too.

:lol:

Last three seasons win total
2016-?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:01 am 
100000 CLUB

leashyourkids wrote:
But they're not out of the race. Not even close.

The Sox are 46-50. 10 game back in the divsion, and 7 games back of the Wild Card with 5 teams in front of them. Since their hot start over the first 33 games, they are 23-40.

I know you are used to following losing Cubs teams, but the Sox are out of it. Trading pieces now to build for next year is not even remotely similar to what the Cubs did. Besides the Sox have "tried" to win for the last few years and failed, so why not try something different.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:10 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Trading pieces now to build for next year is not even remotely similar to what the Cubs did. Besides the Sox have "tried" to win for the last few years and failed, so why not try something different.

That's not trying something different.

No one other than Quintana/Sale/Eaton will yield a player that'll build for next year.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:11 am 

Kirkwood wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Trading pieces now to build for next year is not even remotely similar to what the Cubs did. Besides the Sox have "tried" to win for the last few years and failed, so why not try something different.

That's not trying something different.

No one other than Quintana/Sale/Eaton will yield a player that'll build for next year.

Please don't attribute Frank's dumb quotes to me.

Edit: you fixed.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:17 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
But they're not out of the race. Not even close.

The Sox are 46-50. 10 game back in the divsion, and 7 games back of the Wild Card with 5 teams in front of them. Since their hot start over the first 33 games, they are 23-40.

I know you are used to following losing Cubs teams, but the Sox are out of it. Trading pieces now to build for next year is not even remotely similar to what the Cubs did. Besides the Sox have "tried" to win for the last few years and failed, so why not try something different.

You're all over the place. You contradicted yourself no less than three times.

Let me ask you this, Frank: what are your main criticisms of what the Cubs did? What effects of not fielding the best team possible did you find to be distasteful?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:21 am 
100000 CLUB

The fact that the President of baseball operations said that "every season is sacred"

And then he went out to the intention of losing for at least 2, probably 3 seasons in a row.

Kirkwood, you are not a GM so you dont know diddley.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:39 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
The fact that the President of baseball operations said that "every season is sacred"

And then he went out to the intention of losing for at least 2, probably 3 seasons in a row.

Kirkwood, you are not a GM so you dont know diddley.

No, I mean who specifically did that action negatively impact? The players? The fans? The owners?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:13 pm 
100000 CLUB

Talk about being all over the place. You asked for my criticism about the Cubs tanking.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
There is no legit gripe about the Cubs' 'tanking.' Look at where we are now. We made an investment and it is paying off.

Think of it like going to college. You're poor for 4 years. But long term...you're likely to be in a much better position.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:17 pm 
100000 CLUB

IMU wrote:
Think of it like going to college. You're poor for 4 years. But long term...you're likely to be in a much better position.
Not necessarily in today's world. But you have made the perfect anaolgy for "your" club coming off a 3rd place finish.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 455 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16  Next