It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 818 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 28  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
Nas wrote:
Big Chicagoan wrote:
Sox have a high draft pick this year and possibly the #1 pick next year. One or both of those picks could be MVP caliber field players. The rebuild does not hinge on Moncada, just the trade of Sale.

It would seem the Sox have obtained quite a few top arms through the trades, they need to draft a bat. Not the strong suit of management.

I would have preferred the Sox get all bats because they've done a pretty good job overthe years finding and developing arms.

Well as we are seeing with these Quintana talks where the involved teams seem very hesitant to deal their blue chip position players orgs are much, much more covetous of their bats than their arms. The Sox have acquired three of the best five minor league pitchers in the game plus the presumptive #1 overall prospect in baseball because they were willing to bet against what is prevailing wisdom around the league. Whatever the position player equivalents to Lucas Giolito, Reynaldo Lopez (watch this, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZuF1UH5M-o) and a '16 first rounder are on the prospect ladder would definitely have not been available for sub-800 OPS Adam Eaton.

Dan Bernstein calls this a market inefficiency. I think the Sox are just betting on their strengths and happened to get lucky with a desperate trade partner and a climate that has perhaps devalued young arms a bit too much.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:03 am 

Big Chicagoan wrote:
Sox have a high draft pick this year and possibly the #1 pick next year. One or both of those picks could be MVP caliber field players. The rebuild does not hinge on Moncada, just the trade of Sale.

It would seem the Sox have obtained quite a few top arms through the trades, they need to draft a bat. Not the strong suit of management.

I read in some article during the winter meetings that the talk of the convention was long range planning for the 2018 free agent class. Teams are trying to ensure that their decisions over the next two years is informed by a need to maximize money available post 2018 season.

I had originally thought the Sox would retool quickly and be ready to compete in 2018. I think their time frame is 2019, with these prospects all being on line by then accompanied by a big splash in the FA market.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:12 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
good dolphin wrote:
Big Chicagoan wrote:

I read in some article during the winter meetings that the talk of the convention was long range planning for the 2018 free agent class. Teams are trying to ensure that their decisions over the next two years is informed by a need to maximize money available post 2018 season.

I had originally thought the Sox would retool quickly and be ready to compete in 2018. I think their time frame is 2019, with these prospects all being on line by then accompanied by a big splash in the FA market.

More like 2020 or 2021. MANY of these guys are more than a year away from the big leagues.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:24 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
They will be a year early.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:36 am 

Nas wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Big Chicagoan wrote:

More like 2020 or 2021. MANY of these guys are more than a year away from the big leagues.

You need to re check your ETA. Moncada, Giolitto and Lopez all spent time in MLB last year. All should be back in the minors in 2017 if only so the organization can fully evaluate them. However, it would be unusual if they didn't have September call ups and then 2018 roster spots. I believe Kopech also has a 2018 ETA according to prospect tracking at MLB.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
America wrote:
Also I'm gonna dispute the "Baez and Contreras start for 99% of teams" figure.

Especially since there are only 32 teams, so starting for 31/32 is not even 97%.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:48 pm 

good dolphin wrote:

You need to re check your ETA. Moncada, Giolitto and Lopez all spent time in MLB last year. All should be back in the minors in 2017 if only so the organization can fully evaluate them. However, it would be unusual if they didn't have September call ups and then 2018 roster spots. I believe Kopech also has a 2018 ETA according to prospect tracking at MLB.

You wont see any of them until at least June.

Lopez will probably be the first one, especially if Holland or Migo are dealt. I dont expect Moncada until around the ASB. You might not see Giolito this year and I caution against taking his numbers too seriously until about midseason, Sox have to undo a lot of damage the Nationals have wrought upon his mechanics and it could be ugly. He could be a 2018 arrival along with Kopech.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:00 pm 

America wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

You wont see any of them until at least June.

Lopez will probably be the first one, especially if Holland or Migo are dealt. I dont expect Moncada until around the ASB. You might not see Giolito this year and I caution against taking his numbers too seriously until about midseason, Sox have to undo a lot of damage the Nationals have wrought upon his mechanics and it could be ugly. He could be a 2018 arrival along with Kopech.

I don't want any of them until May 2018, except in September

Once Quintana is traded, I have no hope for this season

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:04 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
I think there's a good chance at least one of the Washington pitchers is in the rotation on Opening Day.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:24 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I think there's a good chance at least one of the Washington pitchers is in the rotation on Opening Day.

They sure as shit better not be. That would be the anti rebuild move. Why genius development in a year where fans are already conditioned to expect nothing?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:24 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

They wont do that for control purposes. They all achieve super 2 at different times in May and that is absolutely earliest you'll see any of them.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:25 pm 
Site Admin

America wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

They wont do that for control purposes. They all achieve super 2 at different times in May and that is absolutely earliest you'll see any of them.

Okay, I wasn't sure of their status. Obviously, they'll keep them down until then, but I think you'll see at least one of them that soon.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
you never know what Sox will do. Could be 2000 fans on a Saturday afternoon and they decide to make some news.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:28 pm 
Site Admin

good dolphin wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

They sure as shit better not be. That would be the anti rebuild move. Why genius development in a year where fans are already conditioned to expect nothing?

1. Somebody has to pitch the games.
2. Lopez for certain has shown he can be competitive at the big league level. I don't think he needs a full year at Charlotte. As long as he goes every five days for the Sox he'll develop just fine.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:37 pm 

Rey Lopez has only 33 IP at AAA.

He'll probably still be the first one up but its not like he's got nothing left to prove at Charlotte.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:39 pm 
Site Admin

America wrote:
Rey Lopez has only 33 IP at AAA.

He'll probably still be the first one up but its not like he's got nothing left to prove at Charlotte.

No, but he's ready for the majors. It's not like there's going to be high pressure situations in Chicago 2017.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:35 pm 

I'm impressed with Hahn holding his ground but at the same time, I want to see a trade

I'm kind of surprised talks on Robertson have slowed. Hahn must be asking for a great return on him as well

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:40 pm 

I doubt anyone gets moved before the Q situation gets resolved. And I'm with you, its time for a trade.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:53 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
America wrote:
I doubt anyone gets moved before the Q situation gets resolved. And I'm with you, its time for a trade.

SoxFest

I remember when I was going. Friday night, and the Sox sign Kenny Lofton.....

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:10 am 

Cashman wrote:
America wrote:

SoxFest

I went to Soxfest once. Never again. It's like going to Great America on its busiest day but without the rides

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
good dolphin wrote:
Cashman wrote:
America wrote:

SoxFest

I went to Soxfest once. Never again. It's like going to Great America on its busiest day but without the rides

Where else can you overhear Brian Anderson debating with Brandon McCarthy over which groupies they should bang?

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:02 am 

I think the Sox are going to blow this opportunity.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:36 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
America wrote:
Why do they have to trade Q? And why do they have to trade him now?

Barring some sort of crazy events, the Sox are not going to be in playoff contention this year, so they could easily move Q mid season...perhaps even getting more for him at the trade deadline.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:37 am 

America wrote:

Still think they are masking this as a rebuild. Kenny in full control.

Kenny: Hahn, trade Sale and Eaton!

Hahn: Ok...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:38 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Cashman wrote:
America wrote:

Still think they are masking this as a rebuild. Kenny in full control.

Kenny: Hahn, trade Sale and Eaton!

Hahn: Ok...

You could be right, Sale n Eaton were the " trouble makers" in Kenny's eyes.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
America wrote:

Why? I think they are holding out for the best possible deal. Time is on their side here.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:26 pm 

It's really starting to make me nervous that Robertson, Frazier and Cabrera haven't been moved and Shields hasn't been released/shot. There is no reason for any of them to be on the team come opening day.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:28 pm 
Site Admin

Keyser Soze wrote:
It's really starting to make me nervous that Robertson, Frazier and Cabrera haven't been moved and Shields hasn't been released/shot. There is no reason for any of them to be on the team come opening day.

Who do you want to throw the innings? Shields is going to be on the team and will probably be their second best starter.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:29 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Keyser Soze wrote:

Who do you want to throw the innings? Shields is going to be on the team and will probably be their second best starter.

I can not stop laughing at this. Not because it is funny, because it is sad.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:34 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Keyser Soze wrote:

Wouldn't ya rather have AA and AAA guys eat innings over a known ( garbage) bum like Shields?

The Shields trade was a fire able offense IMO

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 818 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 28  Next