It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 2:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 594 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 20  Next
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
I think you're right about Harper and Machado getting opt outs, but I think you're wrong in looking at these contracts as 3 or 4 year contracts. What if one of these guys ends up chronically injured, like Griffey Jr., or just plain sucks like Heyward or Darvish? You're going to get saddled with the entire contract.

The fact of the matter is, the vast majority of the time, these mega contracts do not work out. It's really not worth the gamble, because whether they sign one of these guys or they don't, this team is only going to go as far as their young talent takes them.[/quote]

Why not offer him 3 to 4 years at $40 million as an alternative to the 10 year deal - just be the highest bidder on a short team deal? In the short-term, overpaying is fine. None of the young talent will be making any money, etc.[/quote]

I think that would be a fine strategy. I just don't think either Harper or Machado are going to take a deal like that.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Donaldson just signed for 23 million at the age of 33 coming off multiple years of injury. A 29 year old Harper and Machado will get their money[/quote]

Didn't Heyward have an opt out? He was the big money guy in his mid 20's a few years ago. He didn't take it. The Cubs are now stuck.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:17 am 

WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:
Didn't they say Theo is on a flight to the winter meetings today? I doubt anything goes down today.

Rest of the group will surely wait for Theo to start making moves.

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:20 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:

RFDC wrote:
I feel sorry for our Sox friends, they are getting their hopes up and will be left without either one.
We're hoping for prospects. You're hoping for a miracle out of a lame duck manager who appears to be at odds with the front office, and for $200 million worth of pitching to not be on the DL this year. Either way, we've got shit in one hand and hope in another.

Or...in REALITY

You are hoping to approach the .500 mark and WE are hoping to win 92+ for a 5th straight season

Cmon, Frank. Dont make it that easy.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:22 am 

good dolphin wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:
Meh, he also states the Cubs have no money.

no MORE money. What makes you think otherwise? Oh, Bruce Levine talked about TV contracts and Rosemont South.

What makes you believe that the Cubs don't have MORE money?

a team they purchased for 900 million with an unusually large percentage financed

taking on investors a year or two after the purchase

investments into the infrastructure reported at 300 million IIRC, that came in late and most likely over budget

land purchases around the ball park that either were not making money at the time of purchase (rooftops) or are not sufficiently mature to make a profit (hotel)

two early moves to reduce payroll with players they liked on relatively inexpensive contracts

I actually agree, but they chose to bring back Hamels for 20 million.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:33 am 

pizza_Place: Quonset
The Cubs still have Rizzo making probably 1/3-1/4 of his market value. They have the funds if they choose to go after Harper.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:48 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
GoldenJet wrote:
The Cubs still have Rizzo making probably 1/3-1/4 of his market value. They have the funds if they choose to go after Harper.

I am sorry and do not mean to only pick on you but you heard Theo right? They do not have the money (either real or budget) to do this.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:55 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
rogers park bryan wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

RFDC wrote:
I feel sorry for our Sox friends, they are getting their hopes up and will be left without either one.
We're hoping for prospects. You're hoping for a miracle out of a lame duck manager who appears to be at odds with the front office, and for $200 million worth of pitching to not be on the DL this year. Either way, we've got shit in one hand and hope in another.

Or...in REALITY

You are hoping to approach the .500 mark and WE are hoping to win 92+ for a 5th straight season

Cmon, Frank. Dont make it that easy.

Nah, it's like the current Bears and Packers. Two franchises clearly going in the opposite directions now. Sox are the future, Cubs are the passed.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:59 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
And the Past.

Back to the status quo of lovable losers soon enough. They are already on their way, coming off of a second place finish and playing two extra October games.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:06 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
And the Past.

Back to the status quo of lovable losers soon enough. They are already on their way, coming off of a second place finish and playing two extra October games.

Right. 5 straight 90 win seasons including a World Series win = loveable losers.

That's over, Frank. Im sorry, you're going to have to find another niche.

From here on out, The Cubs are Chicago's baseball team, the White Sox are the other guys. Both had ridiculously long title droughts but those are over now.

Although, the Sox are building another drought nicely.

Those are the facts.

I do hope the Sox can approach .500 next year, as i enjoy going to games on both sides of town.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Quonset
pittmike wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:

I am sorry and do not mean to only pick on you but you heard Theo right? They do not have the money (either real or budget) to do this.

So what?

I would hope that he wouldn't publicly state that the Cubs are flush with cash and looking to spend a shit ton on free agents. Especially when dealing with Scott Boras.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermos on 63rd
All this stuff about the Sox feeling good about their chances is typical Boras negotiation tactics. Whatever final offers he gets, he's going back to the Yankees with them.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:36 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
MartyD47 wrote:
All this stuff about the Sox feeling good about their chances is typical Boras negotiation tactics. Whatever final offers he gets, he's going back to the Yankees with them.

There's no doubt. The White Sox are often used in negotiations because they are notoriously tight-lipped. But I don't think the Yankees can really sign him. They have to hope Stanton does better. They're a more likely landing spot for Machado.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
MartyD47 wrote:

There's no doubt. The White Sox are often used in negotiations because they are notoriously tight-lipped. But I don't think the Yankees can really sign him. They have to hope Stanton does better. They're a more likely landing spot for Machado.

There are literally 2 teams, that have the cash to sign him. Outside of that, a lot of Luxury tax money will have to be paid.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermos on 63rd
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
MartyD47 wrote:

Harper is that lefty bat that would really work in their lineup. I think the hustle comments almost make Machado toxic for the Yankees. The NY media is just waiting for him. That said, I think they get one of them and try to get Kluber.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:20 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

"I don’t care about you; I just want your vote.”
Trump '24

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:52 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Not gonna happen brother. Handle it.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn...Frozen!
I think he goes to the Phillies.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Grazianos
It just is a pipe dream for the White Sox fans. First of all, Reinny is not going to pony up the money. Secondly, even if they magically sign Harper, they still have a huge way to go to become a good team. Their pitching stinks over-all. Their catchers are lousy. And even with Harper, their outfield will be below average. IF this team was even .500 last year, it'd be a different story. But this team lost 100 games last year. This is nonsense.

Oh, he might have went on livin'
But he made one fatal slip
When he tried to match the Ranger
With the big iron on his hip

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:19 pm 
100000 CLUB

Pitching isn't far away and they've proved for decades that they can develop pitching. They need bats. A big bat is a great start.

Trump '24

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:50 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
Machado fills a hole. Harper does too but the Sox have 4 outfielders with high ceilings. Jimenez, Robert, Adolfo, and Rutherford. Seems to me if you have to pick between the two, it should be Machado.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
The consensus at MLB Network Radio seems to be that Harper signs with the White Sox only if:

- The total contract value is over $400M, and
- Years 1+2 are both over $35M each, and
- There is an opt-out after year 2, and maybe another one after year 4 or 5.

I think that Jerry is more likely to sell the team to Harper than he is to sign him to that deal.

Harper to the Phillies, Machado to the Yankees.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:04 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
The Hawk wrote:
It just is a pipe dream for the White Sox fans. First of all, Reinny is not going to pony up the money. Secondly, even if they magically sign Harper, they still have a huge way to go to become a good team. Their pitching stinks over-all. Their catchers are lousy. And even with Harper, their outfield will be below average. IF this team was even .500 last year, it'd be a different story. But this team lost 100 games last year. This is nonsense.

Reading these delusional Sox fan posts is comical, These Harper or Machado posts are dumb as Elmhurst Steve pondering Heyward opting out. No chance, none.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:55 pm 

Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
The consensus at MLB Network Radio seems to be that Harper signs with the White Sox only if:

- The total contract value is over $400M, and
- Years 1+2 are both over $35M each, and
- There is an opt-out after year 2, and maybe another one after year 4 or 5.

I think that Jerry is more likely to sell the team to Harper than he is to sign him to that deal.

Harper to the Phillies, Machado to the Yankees.

If he signs that type of deal with the Sox and he never opts out, they are completely fucked. I think this is a typical White Sox move of acting like they are interested in a high profile free agent and bid just enough to be in the conversation. But hey they signed Albert Belle 22 years ago!!

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Obbies
good dolphin wrote:
what is the incentive for either Machado or Harper

how fuckin naïve can you be?

I'm out.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Grazianos
Even though they totally have screwed up this pathetic "rebuild", the Sox have little choice other than to continue it and hope like hell that at least four of their can't miss prospects do thrive. Then and only then, can they even be serious about going after a top notch free agent. They ought to worry about getting a couple of players who are better than the slugs they had out there last year.

This team was an embarrassment last year and one mega million dollar player isn't going to fix it.

Oh, he might have went on livin'
But he made one fatal slip
When he tried to match the Ranger
With the big iron on his hip

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Yeah, I know it ain't gonna happen, but it is still fun seeing stuff like this:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:42 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
We laugh but it’s about the only way to rebirth my beloved franchise in this town.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:49 pm 
100000 CLUB

pittmike wrote:
We laugh but it’s about the only way to rebirth my beloved franchise in this town.

Not Harper.

Trump '24

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
tommy wrote:
Yeah, I know it ain't gonna happen, but it is still fun seeing stuff like this:

They are getting one of Machado or Harper.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 594 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 20  Next