It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 2:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 344 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:40 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
The Tatis trade is bad today, but he was 17 at the time. No one could have known what he was then. Dunning on the other hand is 25 and isn't going to have a high ceiling.

and we still have the better Tatis in our organization, according to his dad

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Polecat666 wrote:
People bitching about this trade need their heads examined.

The only downside for me is its only 1 year of Lynn.

That's my biggest beef as well. In principle, I don't mind trading Dunning. You've got him, Cease, Crochet, Kopech, and Stiever, you're going to have to move some of those guys, preferably before one or two of them inevitably flame out. I don't think he was demonstrably better than any one of them. However, you basically traded Dunning for a rental. If Lynn performs up to Dolphin's expectations, the Sox probably aren't going to pay to resign him. I just would have liked to see more upside for the Sox with the trade. If I were giving it a letter grade, I'd probably give it a "B."

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
There is nothing stopping the Sox from doing a trade and extend. Remember, Freddy Garcia was a 1 year rental at the time of the trade until they extended him during the season.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Sure. That's what I'm hoping for.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:18 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
The Lynn trade is fine. You can't have three young guys in the rotation without either doing a Billy Martin on their arms or trashing the bullpen.

Eaton/Engel can bat 8th and it doesn't preclude them from upgrading Engel if somebody can be had cheaply in January. Hell, it doesn't really preclude signing Brantley or Springer.

The question to me is whether Vaughn starts the season in Chicago, waits the requested 17 days so we can hear Rozner scream 7 is more than 6, or comes up in June after destroying AAA for two months.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:06 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
The Lynn trade is fine. You can't have three young guys in the rotation without either doing a Billy Martin on their arms or trashing the bullpen.

Eaton/Engel can bat 8th and it doesn't preclude them from upgrading Engel if somebody can be had cheaply in January. Hell, it doesn't really preclude signing Brantley or Springer.

The question to me is whether Vaughn starts the season in Chicago, waits the requested 17 days so we can hear Rozner scream 7 is more than 6, or comes up in June after destroying AAA for two months.

2 young guys. Dunning is 26. Pitched in the elite SEC. Then figured out every level of the minors. TJ is well behind him and there's no one more ready to be good right now than Dane Dunning.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:07 pm 

RFDC wrote:
:lol: Lynn is not an ace. That is crazy.

He won 16 games 2 years ago and was 6-3 this past year. He is a durable guy and will eat innings.

Hes been Ace like the last few years and way above average throughout his career

Ga.y name though

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:08 pm 

Nardi wrote:

2 young guys. Dunning is 26. Pitched in the elite SEC. Then figured out every level of the minors. TJ is well behind him and there's no one more ready to be good right now than Dane Dunning.

Weems will be a star too

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:21 am 

The Reinsdorf mouthpiece.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:50 am 

rogers park bryan wrote:
Nardi wrote:

Weems will be a star too

I know zero about him. The soxtalk guys seem to think it was curious that a guy came out of nowhere to be placed in some rankings and then was promptly traded.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:00 am 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
The Reinsdorf mouthpiece.

This info just angers me. There is no way a Brantley contract should be cost prohibitive to a team that has been banking money for at least five years, asking the fans to both spend money and show patience. It Brantley was their guy, they should have gotten him AND still had money for a closer and a lower end starter.

JR never spent that Machado money, either.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:01 am 

Already starting to worry about money.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:14 am 

RFDC wrote:
Already starting to worry about money.

Exactly.

It's infuriating.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:15 am 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Nightengale's quote only makes sense if they are going after Bauer. If they fail to get Bauer, there is no way they can't sign Eaton, Liam H, Brantley, and a new backup C who would essentially platoon with Eaton with Brantley and Grandal splitting the DH when not in the field.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:18 am 

Even if they are in on Bauer there is money available. They were going after both Machado and Harper a couple years ago and their mega deals. They can afford Brantley if that is who they want.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:32 am 

There was this thing called a pandemic and like it or not, is putting several teams on edge. Cleveland practically said "we're broke". Milwaukee was trying to get season ticket holders to commit to 2021 during the summer just so they could get deposits. I'll bet a dollar to a donut that big market teams have or are going to bankroll some people until they get some fans in the stands. So I'm thinking money is concerning to everybody but the Mets.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:35 am 

Nardi wrote:
There was this thing called a pandemic and like it or not, is putting several teams on edge. Cleveland practically said "we're broke". Milwaukee was trying to get season ticket holders to commit to 2021 during the summer just so they could get deposits. I'll bet a dollar to a donut that big market teams have or are going to bankroll some people until they get some fans in the stands. So I'm thinking money is concerning to everybody but the Mets.

Exactly how they want you to think.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:36 am 

They also signed Kuechel for a fraction of what Wheeler was offered. I think they have more big moves out there. Reinsdorf likes to go against the grain.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:51 am 

RFDC wrote:
Nardi wrote:

I've done a 180 on this. I was very much pro player in May. But that was before I knew the country was bunch of pussies and that there would be fanless games through opening day 2021.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Nardi wrote:

Apparently there has been a pandemic every year Jerry Reinsdorf owned a pro team. Who knew

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:22 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Nardi wrote:

Apparently there has been a pandemic every year Jerry Reinsdorf owned a pro team. Who knew

He's like 2-40. The Carlton Fisk year and the Albert Belle year. Maybe the Mark Buehrle year.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:29 pm 

Nardi wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Nardi wrote:

I've done a 180 on this. I was very much pro player in May. But that was before I knew the country was bunch of pussies and that there would be fanless games through opening day 2021.

I don't think there will be fans in the stands until June.

I'm not going to games in Chicago in March/April anyway. Even half of May can be pretty uncomfortable weather

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:31 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
Nardi wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Nardi wrote:

I don't think there will be fans in the stands until June.

I'm not going to games in Chicago in March/April anyway. Even half of May can be pretty uncomfortable weather

If I'm MLB, I'm suing the states if we can't have fans in the stands while we have a vaccine available.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Trump Pies delivered by fwank
Nardi wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Nardi wrote:

Without fans all the pro sports and especially Baseball, die. It ain't the same. This season was fun but NOT THE SAME. I enjoyed it less. Without fans, It's ovah. Eventually.

It's not FUN.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:42 pm 

As cheap as the White Sox appear right now, they are seemingly the only team looking to expand payroll right now. Every team from the Yankees on is looking at ways to lower it. It's Winter Meetings and the only team in the league active right now is the White Sox.

I also think it means most free agents will sign just 1 year deals hoping to hit the market next year after fans are back in the stands and they can get better contracts.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:47 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
As cheap as the White Sox appear right now, they are seemingly the only team looking to expand payroll right now

not true. The Mets are open for business and ready to spend.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:51 pm 

RFDC wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
As cheap as the White Sox appear right now, they are seemingly the only team looking to expand payroll right now

new owner so he hasn't incurred any losses from last year as every other team did

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:59 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

new owner so he hasn't incurred any losses from last year as every other team did

Also hasn't signed anyone yet.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:38 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
As cheap as the White Sox appear right now, they are seemingly the only team looking to expand payroll right now. Every team from the Yankees on is looking at ways to lower it. It's Winter Meetings and the only team in the league active right now is the White Sox.

I also think it means most free agents will sign just 1 year deals hoping to hit the market next year after fans are back in the stands and they can get better contracts.

I was surprised that the Eaton contract was as high as $7 million. I really thought both the glut of OF of a similar level and the financial situation of teams were going to drive prices to the point where guys like him and Schwarber were playing for under $5 million. It seems like the Cubs did as well and maybe that will turn out to be the case. I think I would have waited to see the market in regards to RF, unless they were going for Springer.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 344 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next