It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 3:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 500 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: Len Kasper here
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:38 am 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Alright, I'll allow myself one of these dopey questions:

Do you have a thought or two in regards to Steely Dan? (the band, not the Burroughsian device from whence their moniker was derived ... although thoughts on the latter might be oddly amusing)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:39 am 

pizza_Place: Luigi's
Len - You have four hours of "windshield time" (As Dan McNeil calls road trips)... What four albums are you listening to along the way? Any style, any genre, any artist... Which ones are your "go to"?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:42 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
rogers park bryan wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Len, I need an answer on the Heyward/Darvish question from page 4. You may have missed it because of a couple posters who seemingly thought you were going to come on here and just shred everyone you work with.

:lol: Do you think he's going to say Darvish is a head case?

He doesnt need to. That's just a fact, Darvish himself kinda has said it.

I'm just wondering if Len thinks its a big problem or just a small hurdle likely to be vaulted.

What do you think will happen ?

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:48 am 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
Sorry, no politics. Can't do it.

Caller Bob wrote:
Len, in terms of politics, do you lean liberal or conservative?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:49 am 

Eh, I respect them, saw them live about 20 years ago and they were great. But I wouldn't say they're in my top 20 or that I go out of my way to find them. About 5 of their songs I would call great and I love them, but I'm more a passive fan than one who actively seeks them out.

Don Tiny wrote:

Do you have a thought or two in regards to Steely Dan? (the band, not the Burroughsian device from whence their moniker was derived ... although thoughts on the latter might be oddly amusing)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:51 am 

pizza_Place: John's
Understood on the politics Len. Sorry, shouldn't have asked. Don't know if you saw, but the best discussion for Cubs related stuff happens in your series/game threads. The Cardinals one is below(link) hope to see you there for some pre-game, in-game, or post-game thoughts.

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=113419

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:52 am 

Don't recall the question but on Heyward, this season has been almost EXACTLY the guy offensively the Cubs signed. These numbers are what he was his entire career before he became a Cub. I'm good with that. Good on him for making the necessary adjustments and Chili Davis gets a lot of credit too. On Darvish, the story so far has been very disappointing and terribly incomplete. Until he's healthy again, there isn't much else to say. I will say this -- I'd be surprised if, once healthy, he isn't a lot better. His pretty long track record says as much.

rogers park bryan wrote:
Len, I need an answer on the Heyward/Darvish question from page 4. You may have missed it because of a couple posters who seemingly thought you were going to come on here and just shred everyone you work with.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:52 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
No, don't apologize, I think this means you win a prize.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:53 am 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Don Tiny wrote:

lenkaspercubstv wrote:
Eh, I respect them, saw them live about 20 years ago and they were great. But I wouldn't say they're in my top 20 or that I go out of my way to find them. About 5 of their songs I would call great and I love them, but I'm more a passive fan than one who actively seeks them out.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:54 am 

My thing the last couple years is audiobooks. I probably "read"/listen to about 80-90 books a year. And the occasional podcast -- Joe Rogan, true crime podcasts like In The Dark, West Cork, etc. The music stuff is hit or miss these days honestly.

Godfella wrote:
Len - You have four hours of "windshield time" (As Dan McNeil calls road trips)... What four albums are you listening to along the way? Any style, any genre, any artist... Which ones are your "go to"?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:55 am 

I know you"re a jogger , how many miles a day ?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:56 am 

Also, on Darvish, what I find fascinating is this -- we ask our pro athletes to give us unvarnished thoughts and when someone like Darvish actually does, it freaks out some people. He's clearly a sensitive guy and I've found him to be incredibly polite and personable in the few times I've chatted with him. The bigger BASEBALL question is, how does this stuff affect him on the mound. Nobody really knows until we see him back pitching again.

badrogue17 wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

I'm just wondering if Len thinks its a big problem or just a small hurdle likely to be vaulted.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:59 am 

lenkaspercubstv wrote:
Also, on Darvish, what I find fascinating is this -- we ask our pro athletes to give us unvarnished thoughts and when someone like Darvish actually does, it freaks out some people. He's clearly a sensitive guy and I've found him to be incredibly polite and personable in the few times I've chatted with him. The bigger BASEBALL question is, how does this stuff affect him on the mound. Nobody really knows until we see him back pitching again.

Well honestly Len, if you're going to spend 100 million on a guy to basically replace one of the most mentally tough, accomplished alpha males in the league, you probably SHOULD know what you're getting.

Last edited by badrogue17 on Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:00 pm 

My goal is always 6.5 miles (10K). But life gets in the way, so this week for instance -- Monday, 3.5, Tuesday 6.5, Wednesday 6.5, today probably just a 7-minute interval thing (hopefully 2 circuits) just to do SOMETHING before I leave.

badrogue17 wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Luigi's
lenkaspercubstv wrote:
My goal is always 6.5 miles (10K). But life gets in the way, so this week for instance -- Monday, 3.5, Tuesday 6.5, Wednesday 6.5, today probably just a 7-minute interval thing (hopefully 2 circuits) just to do SOMETHING before I leave.

badrogue17 wrote:

I know a guy who is the lead singer in a band. He is a devoted 5 mile a day jogger rain (treadmill) or shine. He says that this helps him tremendously with his voice / throat / breathing. What say you, Len?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:12 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
I'm a bigfan of D'Adarrio string for my Fender Jazz and my 12 string.

Couple of your favorite bassists?
Jack Bruce, Duck Dunn, and John Paul Jones for me.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:13 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
lenkaspercubstv wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Len,

What’s your musical opinion of Hazardous Youth?

Never heard of them.

Aw, come on, man!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6t2Laa1jLM

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:24 pm 

One important thing I'd like to say here ... I think anonymity on these boards is a good thing because it allows all of you to say whatever you want without repercussions. You can rip people all you want and give unfettered opinions, which keeps people honest. I love that. HOWEVER, the flip side is this -- I am here as someone whose real name is attached to everything I write/say. So to expect me to behave in a similar manner is unrealistic. You all have avatars and monikers and that's the fun of it. But would you be willing to put your real name on everything you've ever publicly stated on this board? This is where the grey area comes in. I'm not asking anybody to water down their questions or comments, but to be disappointed when I won't jump into some murky areas feels, to me, a bit disingenuous and unfair. Is this a fair point or am I crazy?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
I think it’s fair and to be expected.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:29 pm 

lenkaspercubstv wrote:
One important thing I'd like to say here ... I think anonymity on these boards is a good thing because it allows all of you to say whatever you want without repercussions. You can rip people all you want and give unfettered opinions, which keeps people honest. I love that. HOWEVER, the flip side is this -- I am here as someone whose real name is attached to everything I write/say. So to expect me to behave in a similar manner is unrealistic. You all have avatars and monikers and that's the fun of it. But would you be willing to put your real name on everything you've ever publicly stated on this board? This is where the grey area comes in. I'm not asking anybody to water down their questions or comments, but to be disappointed when I won't jump into some murky areas feels, to me, a bit disingenuous and unfair. Is this a fair point or am I crazy?

Totally understandable.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's
But I really am Furious Styles.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:33 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
Very fair point.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's
Thanks, Matt.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
lenkaspercubstv wrote:
My thing the last couple years is audiobooks. I probably "read"/listen to about 80-90 books a year. And the occasional podcast -- Joe Rogan, true crime podcasts like In The Dark, West Cork, etc. The music stuff is hit or miss these days honestly.

If you dig True Crime podcasts, I highly recommend Unsolved Murders on Parcast...really good, really interesting.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:38 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
The obvious difference is that we are not public figures, so standing by what we type here is somewhat meaningless.

Nobody cares what we think anyway...unless it's sports radio programming. Then they care...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:39 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

I think he'll be streaky and have some success but the signing will be looked at as a mistake when all is said and done.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:40 pm 

lenkaspercubstv wrote:
Don't recall the question but on Heyward, this season has been almost EXACTLY the guy offensively the Cubs signed. These numbers are what he was his entire career before he became a Cub. I'm good with that. Good on him for making the necessary adjustments and Chili Davis gets a lot of credit too. On Darvish, the story so far has been very disappointing and terribly incomplete. Until he's healthy again, there isn't much else to say. I will say this -- I'd be surprised if, once healthy, he isn't a lot better. His pretty long track record says as much.

rogers park bryan wrote:

Thank you.

On Heyward, I was wondering if you had resigned yourself to him being the 2016-17 version or if you still, seriously, held out hope he'd return to form.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:41 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
lenkaspercubstv wrote:

rogers park bryan wrote:

Thank you.

On Heyward, I was wondering if you had resigned yourself to him being the 2016-17 version or if you still, seriously, held out hope he'd return to form.

I think he'll be Quintana light here. .500 pitcher with more mediocre outings than good or great ones.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:58 pm 

Len,

Does the difference in how the game is played now then in the past, (100MPH throwers compared to pitchers who worked the zone and hitters home run or bust attitude) change the way you call a game?

As a fan in his 40's, I am no longer able to sit through a full regular season ball game anymore. Not because it is too long, but because it is filled with dumbed down baseball. I hate the lack of strategy that is in todays game and imagine it gets boring calling a HR every other inning and trying new ways to sound disappointed when another Cub player strikes out in a key situation.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:03 pm 

lenkaspercubstv wrote:

This is a fair point that many here understand, but don't feel the need to voice. You only hear the loud and obnoxious because they are just that, loud and obnoxious. Send an email to JORR and they will be banned (J/k inside joke)

Last edited by Juiced on Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 500 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 17  Next