It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 2:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 344 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
good dolphin wrote:
tommy wrote:
What was the deal with Oscar Colas?

I think he just became a free agent at the same time as Cespedes. There was not enough money to sign both. There is some word that he is going to hold off this year and sign with the Sox next year. He will play in some other foreign league this year.

It doesn't sound like either of these guys are a no doubt MLB player but its good to have well thought of talent in the system.

Definitely.

And treat 'em right and keep this goldmine in operation.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
tommy wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
tommy wrote:

I think he just became a free agent at the same time as Cespedes. There was not enough money to sign both. There is some word that he is going to hold off this year and sign with the Sox next year. He will play in some other foreign league this year.

It doesn't sound like either of these guys are a no doubt MLB player but its good to have well thought of talent in the system.

Definitely.

That's the key. They've found a well they can keep tapping. Exploit it for as long as you can.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:17 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's

Smart non-signing.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:19 am 

For some reason I thought Springer was younger than he is.

It does not seem like he has been around that long.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:43 am 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
It happens when you're 24 in your rookie year

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:57 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Sox - Cubs 2021 finances/payroll are fascinating. Cubs 123 mil, Sox 119. Theo spent over 100 mil a year on pitching each last 5 years (Levine) due to dismal drafting. Rickets buying up Wrigleyville then blindsided by covid. Theo leaves a mess.

Reinsdorf has to be the mastermind of all the Sox team friendly contracts mostly on impoverished Latin players. Reinsdorf gets mocked for being a senile old codger. Theo is a genius.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:00 am 

RFDC wrote:
For some reason I thought Springer was younger than he is.

It does not seem like he has been around that long.

he was a late bloomer

He's a good player and at times very good. He provides a lot more value if he is playing CF. I would have liked the Sox to have him in right but that price would have really restricted them from other moves. Teams with more liberal budgets can afford those luxuries. The Sox cannot.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:05 am 

vitoscotti wrote:
Sox - Cubs 2021 finances/payroll are fascinating. Cubs 123 mil, Sox 119. Theo spent over 100 mil a year on pitching each last 5 years (Levine) due to dismal drafting. Rickets buying up Wrigleyville then blindsided by covid. Theo leaves a mess.

Reinsdorf has to be the mastermind of all the Sox team friendly contracts mostly on impoverished Latin players. Reinsdorf gets mocked for being a senile old codger. Theo is a genius.

Who ever said Reinsdorf is senile. He's a great businessman. He just invented a new way of screwing with players in the Hendriks contract. He said he had been toying with the concept for a couple of years before finding his first victim.

JR will give you all the money you want if you are willing to wait 20 years for it. He isn't going to end up paying so you gave him free services. Word is he loved Popeye as a kid and thought Whimpy was a genius.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:29 am 

pizza_Place: What??
good dolphin wrote:
vitoscotti wrote:

Who ever said Reinsdorf is senile. He's a great businessman. He just invented a new way of screwing with players in the Hendriks contract. He said he had been toying with the concept for a couple of years before finding his first victim.

JR will give you all the money you want if you are willing to wait 20 years for it. He isn't going to end up paying so you gave him free services. Word is he loved Popeye as a kid and thought Whimpy was a genius.

10 years. But you're right. It's like when people are ecstatic when the get their tax refund.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:33 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Terry's Peeps wrote:
tommy wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
tommy wrote:

Definitely.

That's the key. They've found a well they can keep tapping. Exploit it for as long as you can.

Some might use the term market inequity.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:43 am 

good dolphin wrote:
vitoscotti wrote:

He definitely is.

I wonder how he compares to today's tech billionaires, both in non-business dealings and in how he made his fortune?

He's a complex guy. He is sentimental, he supports at least one pretty progressive charity, and he's loyal to people he likes. He's respectful of tradition--until he's not. He's hard-headed--until he lets a member of his inner-circle change his mind. But he's always shrewd and hard-nosed. Is there a biography on the guy? That old book Stealing Home talks about him and Eddie Einhorn a little, but I'd think he would make great fodder for a bio. And that's just me thinking of the Sox side of him.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:02 am 

tommy wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
vitoscotti wrote:

He definitely is.

I wonder how he compares to today's tech billionaires, both in non-business dealings and in how he made his fortune?

He's a complex guy. He is sentimental, he supports at least one pretty progressive charity, and he's loyal to people he likes. He's respectful of tradition--until he's not. He's hard-headed--until he lets a member of his inner-circle change his mind. But he's always shrewd and hard-nosed. Is there a biography on the guy? That old book Stealing Home talks about him and Eddie Einhorn a little, but I'd think he would make great fodder for a bio. And that's just me thinking of the Sox side of him.

He's horrible on the pr side of business and always has been.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:25 am 

good dolphin wrote:
tommy wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
vitoscotti wrote:

He definitely is.

All I know, in a division of nothing but small markets, with the exception of one free spender in Detroit for about a decade, he's come up short. Overall, he's been a failure in the Winning business.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:54 am 

good dolphin wrote:
tommy wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
vitoscotti wrote:

He definitely is.

Yes, he digs himself a grave every time he interviews. He did on Day One when he (or Eddie) fired Harry and put the Sox on OnTV. And threatening to move the team, and so on. He seems bloodless and defensive at times. But then you hear other stuff about him. Great fodder for a bio. Father Pfleger should win back his parish by trying to perfect Jerry into a Catholic, or at least a Christian. He'd be a good fit for the Episcopalians.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:02 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
vitoscotti wrote:

At least that one is a good deal for the player too. You either get the money right away or you get it over 10 years and can go sign a contract somewhere else or sit at home. I wish someone would pay me $15 million to not work even if I have to wait a little bit for it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:05 pm 

Brick wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
vitoscotti wrote:

At least that one is a good deal for the player too. You either get the money right away or you get it over 10 years and can go sign a contract somewhere else or sit at home. I wish someone would pay me $15 million to not work even if I have to wait a little bit for it.

I think you are looking at it incorrectly. You can have the $15 million today or you can have the $15 million in 10 years and let JR hold they money for you, interest free, in the mean time.

This assumes JR isn't paying above market to equalize everything for the player. I think that's a safe assumption but I could be wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:10 pm 

Nardi wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
tommy wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
vitoscotti wrote:

He definitely is.

All I know, in a division of nothing but small markets, with the exception of one free spender in Detroit for about a decade, he's come up short. Overall, he's been a failure in the Winning business.

You and JR look at the business of baseball differently.

He makes money on the team every year. In fact, it has been reported that the team has been at its most profitable in these last few years when he was losing.

He also makes much more unrealized money on the team in the form of team value. His group purchase it for $20 million and its probably worth 1 billion.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:14 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
Brick wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
vitoscotti wrote:

I think you are looking at it incorrectly. You can have the $15 million today or you can have the $15 million in 10 years and let JR hold they money for you, interest free, in the mean time.

This assumes JR isn't paying above market to equalize everything for the player. I think that's a safe assumption but I could be wrong.

But you have to work for that $15 million to get it right away. He can sign another contract if they cut him or go home and watch tv.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Say it's reversed. Jerry bought the Cubs somewhat recently, Ricketts family majority Sox owners for quite some time. Would Jerry have overleveraged himself?Threw champagne party for Theo leaving the titanic? Hands off baseball side for Heyward, Kimbrel signings? Jerry in Rickets position anytime he doesn't get what he wants he threatens to move the Cubs. Like he's done multiple times with the Sox.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
Brick wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Brick wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
vitoscotti wrote:

But you have to work for that $15 million to get it right away. He can sign another contract if they cut him or go home and watch tv.

Right. I don’t know why some perceive this as screwing over the player. The situation where he gets the annual installment likely involves him being bad in year 3. Even then, he’ll still get his $15m along with flexibility.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:35 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Not saying JERRY is right or wrong or whatever or implying anything on Hendricks' part but with the way some of these meathead athletes blow through money, perhaps having a few million bucks as future income isn't necessarily a bad thing.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:36 pm 

Brick wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Brick wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
vitoscotti wrote:

Same would be true with a conventional contract. All this does is allow the money to be deferred, possibly

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:41 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Not saying JERRY is right or wrong or whatever or implying anything on Hendricks' part but with the way some of these meathead athletes blow through money, perhaps having a few million bucks as future income isn't necessarily a bad thing.

It's not a matter of right or wrong.

JR created a form of contract that is more favorable to him and less favorable to the player than a conventional contract. He's done it before.

There is no morality attached to it. The players have VERY SMART PEOPLE representing them...of course, those people don't care about the clause because they get their cut of the entirety of the contract the day it is signed

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:46 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
Same would be true with a conventional contract. All this does is allow the money to be deferred, possibly
No it wouldn't. A buyout in year 3 of 4 would almost certainly not be for the same value as year 4. Why even have it then? It's just a 4 year guaranteed contract then.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:54 pm 

Brick wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
No it wouldn't. A buyout in year 3 of 4 would almost certainly not be for the same value as year 4. Why even have it then? It's just a 4 year guaranteed contract then.

they don't buy out contracts in baseball. They are guaranteed.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:09 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
Brick wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

That's not true. Tim Anderson has a $1 million buyout if they decline his option in 2023 or 2024.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:07 pm 

Brick wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Brick wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

That's not true. Tim Anderson has a $1 million buyout if they decline his option in 2023 or 2024.

That's not really a buyout though. That's a penalty for declining an option. I know it probably looks like semantics. I'd consider a buyout to be a payment made to get out of the guaranteed years of the contract.

I'm trying to think of a true buyout in baseball and all I'm recalling is the union rejecting ARod trying to get out of the guaranteed years of his deal when both he and Texas wanted to part ways.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:22 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
Brick wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Brick wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

That's not really a buyout though. That's a penalty for declining an option. I know it probably looks like semantics. I'd consider a buyout to be a payment made to get out of the guaranteed years of the contract.

I'm trying to think of a true buyout in baseball and all I'm recalling is the union rejecting ARod trying to get out of the guaranteed years of his deal when both he and Texas wanted to part ways.

The penalty for the Sox is paying the full amount over 10 years. Good deal for the player.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:43 am 

Brick wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Brick wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Brick wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

The penalty for the Sox is paying the full amount over 10 years. Good deal for the player.

And if the player refuses and demands it in year 4, does JR walk away? I don't think so. Jr probably sweetens years 1-3. But we'll never know.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:25 am 

Nardi wrote:
And if the player refuses and demands it in year 4, does JR walk away? I don't think so. Jr probably sweetens years 1-3. But we'll never know.
I would assume that like most contracts, a team option would have a lower buyout than the total cost of the season salary.

It's always interesting in discussions like this that people assume the player, after signing the contract is shocked by the screw job that Jerry once again pulled off like he wrote with invisible ink an extra clause and then shot grape juice all over it after it was signed.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 344 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 12  Next