It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 455 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sell off 2016
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
:lol: Then what's the point of saying it?

That in the fictional world where Vazquez spends his entire career with the White Sox, he would be (or at least should be) considered one of the best pitchers in White Sox history, because his career was pretty damn good, all told. (That, or the bar for "greatest White Sox pitcher of all time might be rather low)

So now he's back to being the third best Sox pitcher of all-time. :lol: Man, you are something.

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:17 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
formerlyknownas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I have to agree with 312player here. Sale is already better than Buehrle and McDowell. The only Sox pitchers you could really make a case for as being better than Sale are Ed Walsh and Billy Pierce.

Longevity matters (Buehrle)

Of course, it's a game of time and repetition. And Sale may not have the career Buehrle did, but his peak is already so much higher I have no problem calling Sale the best Sox starter in my lifetime.

Sale has only won more than 14 games once in his career and obviously we haven't seen him in big games. You can say he has more talent but I don't think he's better.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

"I don’t care about you; I just want your vote.”
Trump '24

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

That in the fictional world where Vazquez spends his entire career with the White Sox, he would be (or at least should be) considered one of the best pitchers in White Sox history, because his career was pretty damn good, all told. (That, or the bar for "greatest White Sox pitcher of all time might be rather low)

So now he's back to being the third best Sox pitcher of all-time. :lol: Man, you are something.

In addition to not understand things like FIP-, do you...not understand what "fictional" means?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
Nightengale just stuck a fork in any hope of trading Q or Sale. The Sox found themselves in the wildest market for pitchers in recent memory, with two of the best pieces to have in such a market, and couldn't execute.

I think I'm done with the Kenny Williams-led White Sox if they fail to make the kind of moves they need to make. I just can't keep doing this every year with them.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:33 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
America wrote:
Nightengale just stuck a fork in any hope of trading Q or Sale. The Sox found themselves in the wildest market for pitchers in recent memory, with two of the best pieces to have in such a market, and couldn't execute.

I think I'm done with the Kenny Williams-led White Sox if they fail to make the kind of moves they need to make. I just can't keep doing this every year with them.

I have heard many experts say that the Sox would do better to unload Sale and/or Quintana in the off season when all teams could bid not just a few in the race.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:34 pm 

pittmike wrote:
America wrote:

I have heard many experts say that the Sox would do better to unload Sale and/or Quintana in the off season when all teams could bid not just a few in the race.

Quintana sure, but Sale is at peak value right now. League perception has not caught up with the reality that Chris Sale isn't a top 5 pitcher in the game.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:39 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

In addition to not understand things like FIP-, do you...not understand what "fictional" means?

Are we talking about Javier Vazquez or a fictional pitcher? Because I have no interest in discussing imaginary baseball players with you.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:39 pm 

pittmike wrote:
America wrote:

The teams that could be "in" for Sale right now are the teams with the deepest farm systems from which to pull trade chips, and they are all bidding against each other in their respective playoff pushes. The Phillies, Braves, and Rockies aren't going to magically drive up the price for Sale in the off-season. This was a perfect storm of sorts, with the teams that have deep systems being in the playoff hunt in separate divisions, and every deep team in each race desperately needing starting pitching. Instead of capitalizing on that confluence of seller-friendly circumstance, the Real. Smart. GM. With. Two. Degrees. has bought the bullshit of "team-friendly contract". Fuck him, and fuck this organization, go Cubs. I'll be back when Jerry is in a coffin.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:51 pm 

If you don't gut a system for Sale, why bother trading him? He's still under a team-friendly deal and can be dealt later.

Don't make a move just to make a move.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:01 pm 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
If you don't gut a system for Sale, why bother trading him? He's still under a team-friendly deal and can be dealt later.

Don't make a move just to make a move.

Right now he's a 27-year old pitcher with a herky-jerky motion and 2.5 years remaining of an incredibly team-friendly contract. Why in the name of hell would another team "gut the system" for a 28-year old pitcher with a herky-jerky motion and 2 years remaining of an incredibly team-friendly contract, and NOT the former? If a team isn't going to sell the farm for him now, younger and with more team-friendly time on the deal, what indication at all is there that they'd pay more for him sometime after this season, older and with less team-friendly time. Nobody can explain this, but everybody seems to think it just because. It's ludicrous and inane logic.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
It's not complicated. Chris Sale is one of the best pitchers in baseball on one of the friendliest deals in modern history and he's in his prime. If another team doesn't want to gut their farm system, the White Sox should rightfully tell them to fuck off.

Also, the argument Bernstein was just making - that they should trade him because they can't put a winning team around him - doesn't make any sense. If you can't build a winner around Chris Sale I sure as hell shouldn't have confidence in you to build a winner without him.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Julie's Juice, you're making a real impact around here. I still don't quite recall when you popped up on this site, but you'll not soon be forgotten.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:15 pm 

Sale isn't one of the best pitchers in baseball anymore.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:16 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
FavreFan wrote:
It's not complicated. Chris Sale is one of the best pitchers in baseball on one of the friendliest deals in modern history and he's in his prime. If another team doesn't want to gut their farm system, the White Sox should rightfully tell them to fuck off.

Also, the argument Bernstein was just making - that they should trade him because they can't put a winning team around him - doesn't make any sense. If you can't build a winner around Chris Sale I sure as hell shouldn't have confidence in you to build a winner without him.

Completely agree. If you can't build a winner around 2 pitchers with team friendly contracts what would you do without them?

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

"I don’t care about you; I just want your vote.”
Trump '24

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
I suppose five or six high level prospects might help, but you're point is well taken. The team needs new leadership.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:21 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Nas wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Completely agree. If you can't build a winner around 2 pitchers with team friendly contracts what would you do without them?

It is a bit of a conundrum. Get a team's prospects and get better then have to go get two pitchers like Sale and Quintana. As far as the off season thought I think they think you will have more choice as to which prospects you can get rather than just 2-3 teams prospects.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:26 pm 

America wrote:
Sale isn't one of the best pitchers in baseball anymore.

Of course he is. Don't be silly.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:42 pm 

The only guy the Sox will get from this sell off is a guy who went to the same HS as Rick Hahn. I'm so fucking done with the Sox.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
There is no way that any Tribesman sells off the cheap contracts of Sale and Q.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Lucio's
Looks like Sox stand pat except for Duke.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:10 pm 

'77Cubs wrote:

Good. Not panic trading Sale/Quintana is probably their first good move of the season.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:18 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
'77Cubs wrote:

Good. Not panic trading Sale/Quintana is probably their first good move of the season.

Agreed.

No need to make a move just for the sake of making a move.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Terry's Peeps wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
'77Cubs wrote:

Agreed.

No need to make a move just for the sake of making a move.

Will have more buyers in the off season anyway. Too bad they could not move Robertson or Melky.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:28 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
I agree that its good thing to stand pat rather than "make a move just to make a move"

That said you look at what the Yankees did and how they reloaded very quickly. The Sox could have and should have made some moves.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:32 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I agree that its good thing to stand pat rather than "make a move just to make a move"

That said you look at what the Yankees did and how they reloaded very quickly. The Sox could have and should have made some moves.

Agreed.

In a sellers market, Sox did absolutely nothing to improve.

The same old same old.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:34 pm 

JB SCHUCK TO CHARLOTTE!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Do those of you wanting Sale traded realize his value? He's one of the top handful of pitchers in baseball, he's young, and he has a team-friendly contract. If I were the Sox, I wouldn't trade him unless you got an entire core of players, including young starting pitching. More than likely, there is little anyone could offer that would make me trade him.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:46 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
They wouldn't be making a move just to make a move. This team is really lacking players in every facet of the game except for two starting pitchers. The offense sucks. The bullpen sucks. The fielding is mediocre. They need to seriously address major areas of failure and they did nothing.
Unless the plan is to start getting draft picks, and even that doesn't make sense cause they have just enough talent to play slightly sub 500 ball.... which does nothing for your draft positioning.
Either tank and trade all higher level talent or go for some pieces to take you over the top but standing pat was the worst possible outcome of this deadline.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:47 pm 

I'd back up the truck and trade everyone but Anderson and get a shitload of top quality prospects.

Why the fuck not?

.500 every year is a joke.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:56 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
'77Cubs wrote:
I'd back up the truck and trade everyone but Anderson and get a shitload of top quality prospects.

Why the fuck not?

.500 every year is a joke.

A painful 3-5 year rebuild is also a joke.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 455 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 16  Next