It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 485 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 17  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:15 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
rogers park bryan wrote:
And I hope your not co signing Ricks thought that the post season is to be dismissed. I didn't say that or anything close to it.

I think everything has to be taken into consideration. When the Sox were over .500 seventeen seasons in a row during the 50s and 60s and made the postseason only once, losing a World Series, I'd say they were a pretty excellent franchise.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
rogers park bryan wrote:
And Ill admit that I go back and forth in how much luck is involved. But every time I think I have it figured out the built for post season team loses.

I dont think either of the Cardinal teams to win it the last few years were the best teams. More of a got hot at the right time. Werent they 82 and 80 and made the playoffs on the last day of the season in 06? and they were 1 strike away from losing the Series a couple times last year no? Id say definetly more lucky than good in those 2 recent cases.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
badrogue17 wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
And Ill admit that I go back and forth in how much luck is involved. But every time I think I have it figured out the built for post season team loses.

I dont think either of the Cardinal teams to win it the last few years were the best teams. More of a got hot at the right time. Werent they 82 and 80 and made the playoffs on the last day of the seaqson in 06? and they were 1 strike away from losing the Series a couple times last year no? Id say definetly more lucky than good in those 2 recent cases.

Completely agree they weren't the best teams...I'd say they certainly had the best team in '04 and I could probably make a case for '05 as well, but it doesn't matter as they didn't win it all.

The '06 team was a complete fluke...83-78, backing into the playoffs...Jeff Weaver and Anthony Reyes were two of the four starters in the postseason...LOL. Ronnie Belliard, Preston Wilson and So Taguchi were in the starting lineup for Game 1...Edmonds and Rolen were shells of their former selves all season long...good lord I forgot how overachieving that team was come October.

Last years team was insane for almost completely different reasons...make a frantic late season charge to get into the postseason and then watch as their starting pitchers suddenly forget how to make it past five innings. Of course, having David Freese and Allen Fucking Craig play out of their minds and a makeshift bullpen kick ass helps.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:41 pm 
Site Admin

badrogue17 wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

I dont think either of the Cardinal teams to win it the last few years were the best teams. More of a got hot at the right time. Werent they 82 and 80 and made the playoffs on the last day of the season in 06? and they were 1 strike away from losing the Series a couple times last year no? Id say definetly more lucky than good in those 2 recent cases.

But I'd say they did enough to get in and then they were the best at the right time. And that's the object of the game. Rather than winning 116 regular season games.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:44 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

But I'd say they did enough to get in and then they were the best at the right time. And that's the object of the game. Rather than winning 116 regular season games.

Or 97 regular season games even :oops:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:48 pm 

JORR, two teams made the post season in that era, so naturally you can't expect as high a percentage.

Ill say this regarding Cubs-Sox. Every time a Sox fan points out how pathetic it is to go 103 years without winning....it seems they completely ignore the pathetic run the Sox had.

Ill never argue the cubs have been anything but awful....but please stop acting like your squad is the tucking Yankees when they had that kind of drought.

(Most of that is off the board real life stuff)

Rogue, you're right. And the wild card makes it that much worse. I love the playoffs but before 95 you could be reasonably sure the 4 teams that made it were only great regular season teams.

No 83 win Cardinals or 80 Win Padres for Rakims sake!

But....As backwards as be playoffs seem in that way...I wouldn't change a thing (Before this year....the new wild card is terrible)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:52 pm 

Cubs have made the post season 6 times un my 32 years on this planet....feels like not enough

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
Am I the only one who thinks RPB seems like to most over-sensitive Cubs fan on the board?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:59 pm 
Site Admin

rogers park bryan wrote:
JORR, two teams made the post season in that era, so naturally you can't expect as high a percentage.

Of course. And finishing second or even third actually meant something then. But my point is that there is something to be said for playing consistently excellent baseball, like 87 win seasons or better year after year. Regardless of what happens after that or if the team even makes the playoffs.

rogers park bryan wrote:
Ill say this regarding Cubs-Sox. Every time a Sox fan points out how pathetic it is to go 103 years without winning....it seems they completely ignore the pathetic run the Sox had.

But I've already pointed out why the two runs aren't comparable. The World Series the Cubs last won was fluky because an umpire suddenly made a call contrary to the custom of the time. The Sox tried to lose one and were so damn good they almost couldn't. The aftermath of that decimated the Sox for about 30 years. The Cubs didn't have any problem like that. If the Sox win the one they threw and the one in '59 where they were the heavy favorite, that's four wins which is normal for everyone except the Yankees and Cardinals. Okay, you'll say that didn't happen and that's right but it's really not comparable to the Cubs who even when they made the World Series in the 30s were a longshot to win and did so once with a 4F team that finished last the next season.

rogers park bryan wrote:
Ill never argue the cubs have been anything but awful....but please stop acting like your squad is the tucking Yankees when they had that kind of drought.

Nobody is doing that. The Yankees are a great franchise. The Sox are a normal franchise. The Cubs are an awful franchise.

rogers park bryan wrote:
But....As backwards as be playoffs seem in that way...I wouldn't change a thing (Before this year....the new wild card is terrible)

At least the new wild card format takes the wild card off equal footing with the champions.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:59 pm 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Am I the only one who thinks RPB seems like to most over-sensitive Cubs fan on the board?

Define over-sensitive.

Not that I would say he is by any definition, but it would shape who I would say is.

Last edited by lipidquadcab on Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:00 pm 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:

Not even close. I think he is doing a fine job. He is pretty much dead on.

These kind of conversations are in his wheel house.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:01 pm 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:

No, I agree.

Growing up on the south side as a Cub fan makes me extremely intolerant of Sox fan trolling.

I wouldn't say sensitive so much as....passionately righteous and heroic

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:03 pm 
Site Admin

rogers park bryan wrote:

Just like Ryan Dempster.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:05 pm 

JORR, I think the droughts are comparable. Id be more inclined to agree with you if we were talking 30 or 40 years....but 86 years is Very very bad by any measure.

Check out Lipid and RFDC coming together over me!!

I break down walls!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:08 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Just like Ryan Dempster.

SIDEBAR: Bernstein all but said Dumpster was cheating on his wife and has been getting maaaaad pussy all year since the separation began in the off season.

He then proceeds to have by far the best stretch of his career.

Is it better pussy or freedom that's responsible for the low ERA ? (Fuck ...look who Im asking about ERA)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou's, Pequod's
I don't think you can define organizations strictly by playoff appearances or championship droughts. Good processes lead to good results. Bad processes rarely do. Tampa is a good example of this.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:15 pm 
Site Admin

rogers park bryan wrote:
but 86 years is Very very bad by any measure.

The Sox just couldn't beat the greatest team in the history of team sports for a fifteen year period or they'd probably be right behind St. Louis in total titles. So it goes, but it's really not the same thing as finishing in the second division nearly every season from 1946-1968. Beating the Yankees in '59 was monumental. The Sox had their awful teams in the 30s and 40s but that was a direct result of the Black Sox scandal. It's all history.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:34 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

The Sox just couldn't beat the greatest team in the history of team sports for a fifteen year period or they'd probably be right behind St. Louis in total titles. So it goes, but it's really not the same thing as finishing in the second division nearly every season from 1946-1968. Beating the Yankees in '59 was monumental. The Sox had their awful teams in the 30s and 40s but that was a direct result of the Black Sox scandal. It's all history.

Les Habitants de Montreal may have a word to say about that that :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:41 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

The Sox just couldn't beat the greatest team in the history of team sports for a fifteen year period or they'd probably be right behind St. Louis in total titles.

:lol:

Come on Joe, surely you are not serious

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:24 pm 
Site Admin

RFDC wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

The Sox just couldn't beat the greatest team in the history of team sports for a fifteen year period or they'd probably be right behind St. Louis in total titles.

Yeah, to some degree. It's like Alydar having the misfortune to be born the same year as Affirmed. The Sox had one run cut short because they cheated and their best team beside that one just happened to run into the greatest team ever- the 50s Yankees. That's why they don't have four or five World Series winners like most teams. The Cubs don't because they've almost always been terrible. You could look it up.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:25 pm 
Site Admin

badrogue17 wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Les Habitants de Montreal may have a word to say about that that :wink:

Yeah, they're in the argument, but I deduct points because it's hockey. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:28 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Yeah, to some degree. It's like Alydar having the misfortune to be born the same year as Affirmed. The Sox had one run cut short because they cheated and their best team beside that one just happened to run into the greatest team ever- the 50s Yankees. That's why they don't have four or five World Series winners like most teams. The Cubs don't because they've almost always been terrible. You could look it up.

Ill admit almost total ignorance on this because I never really paid attention to anyone else during baseballs golden age, but if it werent for those damn Yankee teams in the late 40's , 50's, wouldnt it have been the Red Sox as AL pennant winners for most of those years?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:32 pm 
Site Admin

badrogue17 wrote:
Ill admit almost total ignorance on this because I never really paid attention to anyone else during baseballs golden age, but if it werent for those damn Yankee teams in the late 40's , 50's, wouldnt it have been the Red Sox as AL pennant winners for most of those years?

Yeah, the Red Sox were really good the mid-forties into the fifties. Some of those teams were thought to be the best but they almost always managed to lose in the most painful ways possible. The White Sox just weren't as good as those 50s Yankees. They did well to get one.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:38 pm 
Site Admin

I would suggest that the White Sox run from 1951 through 1967 was equivalent to the Braves from 1991 to 2005.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Beggars
RFDC wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Don't call him Shirley.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:40 pm 

So JORR let me get this straight. You are the guy who argues that a pitcher is what he is based on his record. W/L's mean things.

But now you are arguing the opposite for a team because they had at least one team in front of them that was better than they were?

Do not the records and results of a team mean the same? They are who their record says they were--not good enough.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:42 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
rogers park bryan wrote:
JORR, I think the droughts are comparable.
Except that one is over (or 6 years long, depending on how you look at it) and one is the longest in the history of professional sports.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:43 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I would suggest that the White Sox run from 1951 through 1967 was equivalent to the Braves from 1991 to 2005.

1 pennant and no titles versus 5 pennants and 1 title...

...gonna say it's just a touch in the Braves favor there.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:45 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Divisional play, different rules and different playoffs. I know they don't give out anything for second place, but the answer to who were the best teams in MLB during the 1950's are:

#1 Yankees
#2 White Sox

The Braves have more hardware for sure, but if you look at the wins they are pretty goddam close.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:48 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Divisional play, different rules and different playoffs. I know they don't give out anything for second place, but the answer to who were the best teams in MLB during the 1950's are:

#1 Yankees
#2 White Sox

The Braves have more hardware for sure, but if you look at the wins they are pretty goddam close.

The Dodgers won five pennants and two titles in the 50s...one of which was over that White Sox team...so yeah, I'm gonna disagree with that too.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 485 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 17  Next