It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 2:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:22 pm 

No one is trading for a guy 1.5 year removed from being a Rule 5 scrap heap choice who has only performed well for a handful of starts and has a TJS on his medical chart. Not to mention his arm probably isn't built up to pitch 150+ innings yet so he is going to be shut down at some point.

Last edited by good dolphin on Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Gigio's in Des Plaines
Nice breakdown in the Rotoworld forum:

Quote:
---Fastball Velocity (AV)
Dylan Covey's average Velo (Brooks) was roughly 92.00 last year (70 IP) and is roughly 94.5 (35.1 IP) this year.

I like velocity gainers for two reasons: it's a great way to explain improvements and it is REALLY easy to see when it disappears. Take Lyles as a prime example. I got excited by Lyles, then uninterested in Lyles because his velocity from the Bullpen didn't carry over for long as the endurance of innings took a toll on his arm. But if you keep your eye on the velocity you don't get saddled with those 12 ERs in his last 10.1 IP. Yeah, you have to pay attention. But it's one number, and if his fastball stays up that's incredibly encouraging.

---Type of FA
His Fourseamer got creamed last year. According to Brooks he's moved almost exclusively 2-Seam. Sometimes these are classifications or small trends. He seems to have consciously changed his primary fastball from 4-Seam to Sinker.

---Arsenal good on damage, not missing bats.
Problem is that this is more likely to be a bit luck induced, if just because of sample size (Missing bats the denominator would be per pitch not per AB of course). But I like seeing pitchers avoid damage with their whole repertoire as opposed to having a wide split between pitches. Covey has the former right now, with no pitch giving up a better than .400 SLG. But his overall whiff% is sub-8.00%. If that continues there's just no way in hell he's touching his 8.41 K/9. This might be closer to a 6.50 K/9 guy. Maybe he can be a low-to-mid 7's.

---How good's the Change?
He does have great results on one pitch in particular this year that is very different from last year-- the Change. It is a pitch that makes sense to be a bit better because he's throwing harder. Has allowed only a .143 SLG and has the highest Whiff% of any individual pitch, a very respectable 16.67% Whiff%. He throws the Sinker/Fastball most, Slider second most, and his Curve and Change under 10%. If his Change-Up continues to produce these results, he should DEFINITELY try to throw it more. His Slider is nothing special and he is a mostly fastball thrower. The Change-Up is the pitch that has potential.

Overall, between White Sox and lack of whiffs, he's probably not worth owning long term in most Shallow League Formats, but I do think there's something intriguing going on here, and I do think I'd be willing to gain confidence in him in good match-ups.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
RFDC wrote:
WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Curious what the organization thinks of this guy.

Is he the real deal as he as looked in the last few outings?

I would think if there is any doubt about him at all you trade him while his value will never be any higher.

Makes zero sense to trade him unless you’re blown away by an offer. He’s a perfect ancillary piece for a rebuild.

So as soon as someone has success in the majors they should trade them for prospects. Unless they need to fail so the organization knows to put them in the bullpen.

:lol: and you say I carry a grudge.

You do and you generally act like an asshole.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:38 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
"Nice breakdown in the Rotoworld forum"

I didn't see anything about the how he acquired the magic dust. Or where it went.