It is currently Mon Jun 03, 2024 7:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Eloy time!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Caller Bob wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
He's 22, so he's not really young anymore.(prospect wise) I would be worried.

Don’t be dumb. He’s gonna be awesome.

Don't be so sure. He's got the stench of Theo/Jed.

No I’m sure. Everyone should be.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
Caller Bob wrote:
He's 22, so he's not really young anymore.(prospect wise) I would be worried.

He's only played in six games...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:02 am 

pizza_Place: Luigi's
Announced this morning he is out at least 2 weeks and most likely longer - retroacted to Friday night. :(

I hope they take their time and heal this ankle up right erring on the side of caution.

Going forward - we need him tomorrow not today.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Yes absolutely do not rush him back.

Take a month or two.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:37 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
As I have said before, this guy will hit.......with power. But, he is a bad outfielder. He takes bad routes on fly balls. He does have a plus arm though. Last, but not least.....he is a bit injury prone. This is his 3rd injury in 3 years to land him on a DL/ IL and no I don't mean an Illinois drivers license. If they were smart, they would have him DH. it would minimize his chances of getting hurt and prevent him from hurting the club with poor outfield play and let him just rake.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:44 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Elmhurst Steve wrote:
This is his 3rd injury in 3 years to land him on a DL/ IL and no I don't mean an Illinois drivers license.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:04 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
:lol:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:18 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Elmhurst Steve wrote:
As I have said before
You also said "Eloy will not be traded."

Putz.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 12:10 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Elmhurst Steve wrote:
As I have said before
You also said "Eloy will not be traded."

That is true. I did not believe they would part with a hitter that good for Quintana, much less with Dylan Cease too. But as well as Quintana has pitched of late, it is looking a bit more acceptable. Eloy is a hell of a hitter. But as an outfielder......he makes a good DH. Nice arm though.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 9:32 am 
100000 CLUB

Quote:
22 hours ago
Chicago White Sox outfielder Eloy Jimenez (ankle) will need to have a rehab assignment before returning to the big league roster. The team wants Jimenez to get in some at-bats in the minors before letting him return to the team. He's been out since April 26 due to a sprained ankle. It's unclear when Jimenez will return, but this weekend is a possibility.
--Andy Webb - RotoBaller
This is at least mildly encouraging.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 10:59 am 
Site Admin

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Quote:
22 hours ago
Chicago White Sox outfielder Eloy Jimenez (ankle) will need to have a rehab assignment before returning to the big league roster. The team wants Jimenez to get in some at-bats in the minors before letting him return to the team. He's been out since April 26 due to a sprained ankle. It's unclear when Jimenez will return, but this weekend is a possibility.
--Andy Webb - RotoBaller

They can't really play this guy in the outfield. He makes Schwarber look like Alex Gordon out there.

You know, people talk a lot of shit about their athletic abilities, blah, blah, blah. And even the worst guy in the big leagues is still a professional and more athletic than anyone you ever met. Jimenez is honestly the only guy I've ever seen in the major leagues where I actually think I could have played the outfield better than he does when I was in my 20s. I wouldn't say that about Palka. I wouldn't say it about anyone else I've ever seen.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 1:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Grazianos
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Quote:
22 hours ago
--Andy Webb - RotoBaller

They can't really play this guy in the outfield. He makes Schwarber look like Alex Gordon out there.

You know, people talk a lot of shit about their athletic abilities, blah, blah, blah. And even the worst guy in the big leagues is still a professional and more athletic than anyone you ever met. Jimenez is honestly the only guy I've ever seen in the major leagues where I actually think I could have played the outfield better than he does when I was in my 20s. I wouldn't say that about Palka. I wouldn't say it about anyone else I've ever seen.

He's a baby for cripes sake. He is certainly athletic, has speed and a great arm. This is basically an instructional league for him.

Oh, he might have went on livin'
But he made one fatal slip
When he tried to match the Ranger
With the big iron on his hip

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 1:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Quote:
22 hours ago
--Andy Webb - RotoBaller

White Sox fan hating a former Cub.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 2:00 pm 
Site Admin

IMU wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Quote:
22 hours ago
--Andy Webb - RotoBaller

I thought he was supposed to be more than adequate on the corners and maybe you could even get away with him in center in a pinch. I'm not sure the guy can even play first base.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 2:12 pm 
100000 CLUB

I've never even heard a discussion of him playing anywhere except LF. Its pretty clear that as much as he was raking year last, Hahn was 100% correct in saying that Eloy needed to stay in AAA to work on his defense.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 2:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Maybe, but there's also the chance he'll always suck on defense and it was pointless to waste time trying to fix it. That being said, there wasn't much of a reason to bring him up last year anyway.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 2:20 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
If he is DH only then his value plummets...In the Cub's system he was always profiled as above average in the corners as I recall, but then again, maybe Theo knew something Kenny didn't and sold high.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 2:26 pm 
Site Admin

Caller Bob wrote:
If he is DH only then his value plummets...In the Cub's system he was always profiled as above average in the corners as I recall, but then again, maybe Theo knew something Kenny didn't and sold high.

It doesn't matter if he can play in the field if he hits the way he's supposed to. I'm just shocked he's as terrible as he is in the outfield.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 2:31 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

It doesn't matter if he can play in the field if he hits the way he's supposed to. I'm just shocked he's as terrible as he is in the outfield.

At his peak of smashing home runs for the Reds and Nationals, Adam Dunn's brutal defense capped his ceiling at a 3-4ish WAR player

https://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?p ... tion=1B/OF

Even if he hits like you want, you need a decent fielder out there to justify the hype this guy is getting.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 2:31 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
I don't care how awful he looks in the outfield, he can play first base.. anybody can.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 2:32 pm 

312player wrote:
I don't care how awful he looks in the outfield, he can play first base.. anybody can.

Jose Abreu wrote:
Opinions vary...

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 2:34 pm 
Site Admin

Caller Bob wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

At his peak of smashing home runs for the Reds and Nationals, Adam Dunn's brutal defense capped his ceiling at a 3-4ish WAR player

https://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?p ... tion=1B/OF

Even if he hits like you want, you need a decent fielder out there to justify the hype this guy is getting.

Not in this era where a third of all outs come via the strikeout. Defense is less important than ever.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 2:35 pm 

That is a bad opinion Joe, but I don't really think this kid is a brutal defender. I'll have to check him out when he's back in the big leagues next year.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 2:40 pm 
Site Admin

Caller Bob wrote:
That is a bad opinion Joe, but I don't really think this kid is a brutal defender. I'll have to check him out when he's back in the big leagues next year.

It's a fact. There are far less balls in play than ever. So obviously fielding is less important than ever.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 3:33 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

It's a fact. There are far less balls in play than ever. So obviously fielding is less important than ever.

Frank Thomas and Edgar Martinez needed to be in the field to justify the hype around them apparently.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 4:19 pm 
100000 CLUB

WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

Frank Thomas and Edgar Martinez needed to be in the field to justify the hype around them apparently.
So did Kyle Schwarber :D

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 9:05 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
IMU wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Quote:
22 hours ago
--Andy Webb - RotoBaller

I thought he was supposed to be more than adequate on the corners and maybe you could even get away with him in center in a pinch. I'm not sure the guy can even play first base.

Once again. He is a baby. Exactly how many games have you seen him play? I think that I have seen the kid play maybe ten games at best in left field. You cannot legitimately assess any player based on that. It is way too early and ridiculous.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 9:12 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

Ridiculous. No one knows anything about his defensive ability based on what he has shown thus far. I've seen him make routine plays well. I've seen him fuck up pays where there is a communication problem with the infielders. That comes with inexperience. So what? HE made a mistake trying to "climb the wall" to make a play.

Truth is that no one knows what he is going to be as an outfielder. You don't and I don't. But to arbitrarily rate him as a shitty outfielder is BULLSHIT.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 9:15 pm 

312player wrote:

Bull crap. First base is not an easy position to play. Outfield is a much easier position to play. A good first baseman saves runs and makes outs. Outfield, and particularly left field is the easiest position to play on the field.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 9:20 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

That is not the point. Your point was saying that he is a terrible defensive outfielder. That really is not anywhere factual. Outs are still important and defense is still very important. Just because the ball is so juiced doesn't mean that being able to get outs isn't important.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next