It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 4:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Bring Back Ozzie
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:24 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
Quote:
"Oh my God, nobody can compare that with Nick Swisher," Guillen said. "I hate Nick Swisher with my heart. I think he hates me back, there's nothing wrong with that. …

"I never talked to him, I was managing him, but I don't like the way his attitude was all fake. And I don't like fake people."

But Swisher was only with the White Sox for a year.

"It was one year too long," Guillen said.

The post-game was better than the game last night.

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/former ... 00286.html

That made me remember that the Guillen family hated Swisher because they like to be the biggest mouths in the dugout. I'm no fan of Swisher and I think Ozzie has his place as a manager, but this team isn't really that place. He would be best for a team that needs to be shaken up. And he's just as bad strategically as Raw Deal. The other night he made reference to "clogging the bases". I don't know about you, but I like the bases clogged when my team is batting. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:33 am 

pizza_Place: John's
Ozzie is like a Latino Trump :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:52 am 

pizza_Place: What??
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Quote:
"Oh my God, nobody can compare that with Nick Swisher," Guillen said. "I hate Nick Swisher with my heart. I think he hates me back, there's nothing wrong with that. …

"I never talked to him, I was managing him, but I don't like the way his attitude was all fake. And I don't like fake people."

That made me remember that the Guillen family hated Swisher because they like to be the biggest mouths in the dugout. I'm no fan of Swisher and I think Ozzie has his place as a manager, but this team isn't really that place. He would be best for a team that needs to be shaken up. And he's just as bad strategically as Raw Deal. The other night he made reference to "clogging the bases". I don't know about you, but I like the bases clogged when my team is batting. :lol:

Ozzie handled pitching well, IMO. Which is good enough. Hell, it's damn near everything.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:03 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Quote:

Ozzie's kids were out of control. They were regularly taking personal shots at Kenny Williams and his now wife on social media. Ozzie's baseball "strategy" would make your head spin. As a player he never walked, took all kinds of risks running the bases, and he swung at everything. As a manager he loved bunting, not having a full time DH for flexibility, and he played favorites based on personality clearly.

He's perfect saying crazy shit on TV.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:09 am 

pizza_Place: Grazianos
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Quote:

Ozzie's kids were out of control. They were regularly taking personal shots at Kenny Williams and his now wife on social media. Ozzie's baseball "strategy" would make your head spin. As a player he never walked, took all kinds of risks running the bases, and he swung at everything. As a manager he loved bunting, not having a full time DH for flexibility, and he played favorites based on personality clearly.

He's perfect saying crazy shit on TV.

I said awhile back that while Renteria is not a good strategy guy I think that he is good for a team whose stars are mainly Latin. Ideally the guy is a bench coach but so be it. While you might question some of his line-up strategies, I can't fault him thus far this year over-all. I still think Vasquez will be their manager someday or another Latin guy.

Oh, he might have went on livin'
But he made one fatal slip
When he tried to match the Ranger
With the big iron on his hip

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:16 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Quote:

Ozzie's baseball "strategy" would make your head spin. As a player he never walked, took all kinds of risks running the bases, and he swung at everything. As a manager he loved bunting, not having a full time DH for flexibility, and he played favorites based on personality clearly.

I agree, but he handled pitching. He also kept players on their toes. He'd call them out. There's no perfect manager.

Except Earl Weaver.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:58 am 
Site Admin

Nardi wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Quote:

Ozzie's baseball "strategy" would make your head spin. As a player he never walked, took all kinds of risks running the bases, and he swung at everything. As a manager he loved bunting, not having a full time DH for flexibility, and he played favorites based on personality clearly.

I agree, but he handled pitching. He also kept players on their toes. He'd call them out. There's no perfect manager.

Except Earl Weaver.

Did he handle pitching though? Or was that Cooper's domain?

The bunting and running thing is systemic with the White Sox. I think it's one of those things like the Bears are supposed to be a running/defensive team. The Sox are supposed to be a "small ball" team. It goes back to the Go Go Sox and the Hitless Wonders. It's an identity. They very well may have won last night if Robert wasn't immediately erased off the bases in the first inning attempting a pointless stolen base.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:59 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
The Hawk wrote:
I still think Vasquez will be their manager someday or another Latin guy.

Who?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Quonset

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:44 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Quote:

Except Earl Weaver.

The bunting and running thing is systemic with the White Sox. I think it's one of those things like the Bears are supposed to be a running/defensive team. The Sox are supposed to be a "small ball" team. It goes back to the Go Go Sox and the Hitless Wonders. It's an identity. They very well may have won last night if Robert wasn't immediately erased off the bases in the first inning attempting a pointless stolen base.

Ozzie handled pitching. Early on Cooper did.

Southside hitmen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:51 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Ozzie had next to nothing to do with the pitching. And it is a media driven identity. Even in 2005, the team played "Ozzieball", which was taking extra bases, Pods stealing bases, and bunting. Never mind that they hit a bunch of home runs, and a lot of that bullshit lead to the bases being "unclogged" when Crede and Konerko hit it out.

The Robert attempt was a disaster. Abreu walked on the next pitch. It's just a bad strategy to have him always trying to steal. Robert had a success rate under 70 percent in the minors, and he injured himself stealing bases before. Madrigal injured himself taking the extra base. The concept of putting pressure on the pitcher works better by getting on base than stealing 2nd successfully on 60 percent of attempts.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:56 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
Didn't the '05 Sox lead the league in home runs? And why wouldn't they? The fences at Comiskey are too low and too short.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:38 pm 

They were top five but did not hit the most.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:27 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
They very well may have won last night if Robert wasn't immediately erased off the bases in the first inning attempting a pointless stolen base.

Damn, Roberto Clemente Mays Trout Henderson got caught stealing?

and they lost because of it

Subtract one full point from his WAR

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:28 pm 

Quote:

Hilarious considering Kenny Williams made some "get on Nick Swisher's page or get off the team" statement after the signing

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:46 pm 

Ozzie on Swisher was great...I hate him as a player not as a person :lol:

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Curious Hair wrote:
Didn't the '05 Sox lead the league in home runs? And why wouldn't they? The fences at Comiskey are too low and too short.

If they didn't, they were pretty close. Scotty Pods was stealing bases like mad for about two months. After that they reverted to scoring the same way all the other Sox teams of the early 00's scored.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:37 pm 

Cashman wrote:
The Hawk wrote:
I still think Vasquez will be their manager someday or another Latin guy.

Who?

Meant to say Vizquel.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:03 pm 

More going after Nick Swisher, and his bobblehead giveaway.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:14 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
Invoking the statue of Juan Uribe is actually a roundabout own of the White Sox.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:25 pm 
Site Admin

Curious Hair wrote:
Invoking the statue of Juan Uribe is actually a roundabout own of the White Sox.

Not really. When he went in the stands for that ball it was a lot greater moment than the Cubs gayblade at third giggling like a schoolgirl as the sailed the throw over to first.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:49 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Not really. When he went in the stands for that ball it was a lot greater moment than the Cubs gayblade at third giggling like a schoolgirl as the sailed the throw over to first.

"Uh-oh. Here comes Juan Uribe. Get the fuck out of his way"

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:34 am 

Juan Uribe played in the majors for 16 years. Total indictment that he was on the White Sox and made a great play for them.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:39 am 
Site Admin

Juan Uribe played in the majors for 16 years. Total indictment that he was on the White Sox and made a great play for them.

Perception is a funny thing. When Javier Baez's career is over and in the books his numbers will be remarkably similar to Juan Uribe's.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:04 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Perception is a funny thing. When Javier Baez's career is over and in the books his numbers will be remarkably similar to Juan Uribe's.

I really don't think that defensive WAR stats are anything more than folly, so I am not going to look them up. But Uribe was the best defensive shortstop in baseball for a few years.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:27 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Well I certainly disagree with that!

He wasnt giggling or smiling though. That's what people said but he was actually doing his usual grimace he does frequently while at bat. The smiling is a good story though.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:30 am 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's

Always had a place on good teams. Was in the playoffs several times. Had his voice mocked by Bernstein.

Must have done something right.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:32 am 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

I have one of the greatest signatures here, but damn....this is a nice one

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:51 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Uribe was what I would call a GAMER. He wasn't afraid to get the big hit or make the clutch play in the field. He was a World Series winner for a couple of different teams in his career.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:36 pm 

pizza_Place: DATYYy
I always hated the Sox...but Ozzie was and is the man.

He deserves another chance but won’t get it. Sadly. Definitely not in this town