It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 3:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 336 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:09 am 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
All they have to do is win their next 16 series and they’re right back in this thing.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 9:13 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Can they win 16 series from now until the end of next season?

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:05 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Minnesota on the road this weekend, then Cleveland at home. They want to hold out to see if the Sox jump back into the playoff picture. Makes sense.

Realistically, the season is over, but I can understand this thinking. Sweep the Twins, win 3 of 4 against Cleveland (no, I don't think that happens). The way things have gone, if the miracle happens and they sweep the Twins, will probably follow it up losing both to the Cubs...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:38 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
casual fan wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Minnesota on the road this weekend, then Cleveland at home. They want to hold out to see if the Sox jump back into the playoff picture. Makes sense.

Realistically, the season is over, but I can understand this thinking. Sweep the Twins, win 3 of 4 against Cleveland (no, I don't think that happens). The way things have gone, if the miracle happens and they sweep the Twins, will probably follow it up losing both to the Cubs...

If Minnesota plays .500 from here on ( considering thats basically where they’ve been all year it seems likely they will at least accomplish that ) it gets them to 82-80. Sox have to go 41-23 ( .640) to match that win total.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:40 am 
100000 CLUB

casual fan wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

I can understand this thinking.
I was being facetious. This thinking is fucking moronic. The Sox should have been putting feelers out and moving guys 2+ weeks ago. This thinking is the line of thinking the Sox front office has, and its precisely why they have only one season where they have won a playoff series over the last 104 years.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:48 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
casual fan wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

I can understand this thinking.
I was being facetious. This thinking is fucking moronic. The Sox should have been putting feelers out and moving guys 2+ weeks ago. This thinking is the line of thinking the Sox front office has, and its precisely why they have only one season where they have won a playoff series over the last 104 years.

I agree, the team sucks, and needs to be rebuilt.

But it's not what the front office has ever done. They either trade in the offseason, or at the deadline. Why would you suddenly think they change this season? Cease/Eloy trade might have been June???

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:40 am 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
good dolphin wrote:
Hahn is going to blow this, isn't he?

We should have had some movement by now with some of the lesser guys. I understand with the more headline guys you might try to goose the market until the very end.

and you know that fucker JR will want him to take lesser prospects rather than eat any money

There have only been two or three trades across MLB since the All Star Game. There will be some guys moved soon.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 12:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Hahn is going to blow this, isn't he?

We should have had some movement by now with some of the lesser guys. I understand with the more headline guys you might try to goose the market until the very end.

and you know that fucker JR will want him to take lesser prospects rather than eat any money

There have only been two or three trades across MLB since the All Star Game. There will be some guys moved soon.

This. Also, those small moves rarely amount to much of anything.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 3:25 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
If Hahn and Williams had been fired 2 months ago, the deadline might actually mean something. I don't even know what this is. Salary dump, I guess. They can't develop position players or pitchers, so what's the point of prospects? It's basically here's the ball, if you go 0-2 on the guy, throw it at the mascot. Or, here's a bat, swing hard, in case you hit it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 3:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
Nardi wrote:
Or, here's a bat, swing hard, in case you hit it.

but not too hard. have to avoid injuries

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 1:05 am 

They aren't really going to pick up Tim Anderson's $14M team option for next year, are they? He is hitting at Greg Pryor levels. You can't even give him a QO.

Rick Hahn's only hope is that the Dodgers are so disgusted with Miguel Rojas at SS (since Gavin Lux has been out all year with a leg injury) that they are willing to take him for a token A-ball catcher.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:10 am 

I dont see how you can trade him at this awful level. They will get nothing. I think they take him back on the relatively cheap team option and hope he rebounds some.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:46 am 

What gets me is that I'm still hearing chatter that teams want Lance Lynn. Granted, that can just be Rick Hahn calling in some favors from friends in the media, but how bad does your starting pitching have to be that a 6.18 era seems attractive?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:04 am 

pizza_Place: PizzaHut
They would be selling low on pretty much everyone.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:46 am 

Warren Newson wrote:
What gets me is that I'm still hearing chatter that teams want Lance Lynn. Granted, that can just be Rick Hahn calling in some favors from friends in the media, but how bad does your starting pitching have to be that a 6.18 era seems attractive?

I don't buy it either. Especially the Rangers rumor. Can you imagine Hahn asking for Dunning?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:59 am 

RFDC wrote:
I dont see how you can trade him at this awful level. They will get nothing. I think they take him back on the relatively cheap team option and hope he rebounds some.

If they sell off enough this week so that it's clear that Jerry accepts a rebuild, I can see keeping him around since they have absolutely nothing at AAA or AA.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 5:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Nardi wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:

I don't buy it either. Especially the Rangers rumor. Can you imagine Hahn asking for Dunning?

It would cement he is a fucktard.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2023 10:20 pm 
100000 CLUB

Trade Timmay put me out there at SS. Ill suck and will have zero range but I will give 100% effort.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 2:36 pm 

So assuming the Sox trade Lynn and Giolitto (and possibly Cease). Kopech looks to be a major question mark. The minors does not seem to be full of major league picthing. The Sox don't sign good pitchers to deals. Who in the hell is going to be in the starting rotation for the rest of this year and next year?

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 2:44 pm 
100000 CLUB

Lance Lynn is 6-9 with a 6+ ERA and a 1.44 WHIP this season. I mean thats Dylan Covey type shit.

Even with the dearth of pitching in the Sox organization, its hard to believe they can't find a warm body in Charlotte, Birmingham, or Winston Salem to put up those sorts of numbers at the MLB level.

For as good as stuff as Cease has, he's lead the league in walks two of the last three seasons and is threatening to do so again this year.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 2:51 pm 

RFDC wrote:
So assuming the Sox trade Lynn and Giolitto (and possibly Cease). Kopech looks to be a major question mark. The minors does not seem to be full of major league picthing. The Sox don't sign good pitchers to deals. Who in the hell is going to be in the starting rotation for the rest of this year and next year?

The names I've read in exchange for Giolito seem to include starting pitchers who are at or near mlb ready

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
they'll sign Cueto, Adam Wainwright, and Madison Bumgarner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:43 pm 

RFDC wrote:

Considering they have a bottom tier bullpen, one of the worst fielding team in the league, and their lineup makes it a habit of NOT getting on base, it doesn't really matter who's in the starting rotation.

Management has done a monumentally bad job of building this team/organization.
They don't invest properly in pitching or their minor league system. They don't value fielding or baseball IQ at all.
When luck is the key ingredient in your success, don't be surprised that it isn't sustainable.
Fuck Rick, Fuck Kenny, Fuck Jerry. Fuck all of 'em.

Game starts at 7ish tonight, right?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:46 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Lance Lynn is 6-9 with a 6+ ERA and a 1.44 WHIP this season. I mean thats Dylan Covey type shit.

Even with the dearth of pitching in the Sox organization, its hard to believe they can't find a warm body in Charlotte, Birmingham, or Winston Salem to put up those sorts of numbers at the MLB level.

For as good as stuff as Cease has, he's lead the league in walks two of the last three seasons and is threatening to do so again this year.

Half of the walks are due to him wasting pitches. He let's SO many guys get back into the count with uncompetitive pitches.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:49 pm 

I don't see how they can trade Cease unless they get back multiple guys who are ready to pitch next year. I read some speculation today that, since the Reds are looking for controllable starting pitching, they would trade Jonathan India for Cease. India seems like a good player and plays a position of need, but the Sox can't start next year with Kopech and a bunch of grab bag starters.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:52 pm 

Warren Newson wrote:
I don't see how they can trade Cease unless they get back multiple guys who are ready to pitch next year. I read some speculation today that, since the Reds are looking for controllable starting pitching, they would trade Jonathan India for Cease. India seems like a good player and plays a position of need, but the Sox can't start next year with Kopech and a bunch of grab bag starters.

I think what they do with Cease gives some indication of what their plan is for next year. If they trade Cease then they are going into a bigger rebuild. If they keep Cease then they plan to try and retool on the fly.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:55 pm 

RFDC wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:

I think what they do with Cease gives some indication of what their plan is for next year. If they trade Cease then they are going into a bigger rebuild. If they keep Cease then they plan to try and retool on the fly.

If they're embarking on a bigger rebuild, they're going to average about seven fans per game next year. They have no choice but to reshuffle the deck and hope for the best. That being said, if they actually do clean out the front office, I will grudgingly tolerate another rebuild.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
WestmontMike wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Considering they have a bottom tier bullpen, one of the worst fielding team in the league, and their lineup makes it a habit of NOT getting on base, it doesn't really matter who's in the starting rotation.

They don't invest properly in pitching or their minor league system. They don't value fielding or baseball IQ at all.
When luck is the key ingredient in your success, don't be surprised that it isn't sustainable.

As long as the guys that they drafted are fundamentally poor, having fun, admiring their home runs , not hustling and bat flipping it doesn’t really matter what their record is . That’s what the kids want to see.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:11 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
It's good to see Westmont Mike posting again!

Where ya been, Westmont?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:12 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
WestmontMike wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Pretty much knocked that one out of the park.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 336 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next