It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 1:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 594 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 20  Next
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:21 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Big Chicagoan wrote:
Nas wrote:
Big Chicagoan wrote:
What’s the largest contract the Sox have ever made? Abreu’s 6/$68M? No way they drop $250M+ on someone.

They were willing to change the market for Albert Belle. Uncle Jerry made Jordan the highest paid player in NBA history for 20 years. He'll spend money for the right players.

He owed MJ - who was the best player in history and made Jerry a success. My point still stands. He’s not cutting that check.

I am starting to think the same thing. I am thinking, Jerry is gonna offer like an 8yr $240 mill deal, knowing Harper turned down 10yr $300 mill, so he can give the illusion that the Sox are trying.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:08 am 

pizza_Place: What??
Sending Thome on a fool's errand? Unlikely. Offer must be legit.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:12 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
I think Harper is the wrong guy. He has too many down seasons to be a $400M player.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

"I don’t care about you; I just want your vote.”
Trump '24

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:13 am 

And Machado is?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:23 am 
100000 CLUB

Cashman wrote:
And Machado is?

His peaks are not as impressive but he more consistent. You don't want to be dealing with a combination of Schwarber and and Aramis Ramirez for $400M. A guy who takes months off and then has a Babe Ruth month to bring his stats up but has a shitty batting average in the end.

Trump '24

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:28 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
RFDC wrote:
I feel sorry for our Sox friends, they are getting their hopes up and will be left without either one.

Hope is something we gave up on long ago.

This is just entertainment.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:30 am 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
RFDC wrote:
I feel sorry for our Sox friends, they are getting their hopes up and will be left without either one.

Yeah. If they get them they will be a bust but then we can send them on free agent recruiting trips after they retire to get new free agent busts.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:39 am 

Nas wrote:
Cashman wrote:
And Machado is?

His peaks are not as impressive but he more consistent. You don't want to be dealing with a combination of Schwarber and and Aramis Ramirez for $400M. A guy who takes months off and then has a Babe Ruth month to bring his stats up but has a shitty batting average in the end.

I don't disagree. I like Machado's versatility in playing SS and 3B. And I value those two positions more than OF. But, I like Harper's attitude and I do not like what MAchado's attitude in the playoffs. If you were to make the case of spending the $40mill per year on 2-3 guys, I would agree with that over Harper/Machado, but I think one of those players just signed with the Nats yesterday.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:02 am 

Cashman wrote:
Big Chicagoan wrote:
Nas wrote:
Big Chicagoan wrote:
What’s the largest contract the Sox have ever made? Abreu’s 6/$68M? No way they drop $250M+ on someone.

They were willing to change the market for Albert Belle. Uncle Jerry made Jordan the highest paid player in NBA history for 20 years. He'll spend money for the right players.

He owed MJ - who was the best player in history and made Jerry a success. My point still stands. He’s not cutting that check.

I am starting to think the same thing. I am thinking, Jerry is gonna offer like an 8yr $240 mill deal, knowing Harper turned down 10yr $300 mill, so he can give the illusion that the Sox are trying.

Harper turned down 300 million because there were no opt outs.

Both of the contracts that each of these players sign will have an opt out by year 4 so that they can hit the free agent market yet again at age 30. If I were the agent I'd want one in year 3 to hit the market again at 29. If I were an owner, I would look at these as 3-4 year contracts. But I'm just me. I hope that is good enough for everyone

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:06 am 
100000 CLUB

Would you give these guys $45-50M a year for the first few years? I would. Let them walk after then. Their next contract won't be worth it.

Trump '24

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:09 am 

Nas wrote:
Would you give these guys $45-50M a year for the first few years? I would. Let them walk after then. Their next contract won't be worth it.

Are you saying to front load it with an opt out?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:13 am 
100000 CLUB

Cashman wrote:
Nas wrote:

Are you saying to front load it with an opt out?

Yep!

Trump '24

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:17 am 

I think you can get as crazy as you want, if you think he is going to stay the entire length of the contract. I think this would lessen the later years of the contract, when he is older. But, if you sign a 10yr deal with a 4yr buyout, would you be winning a WS or amass the talent because of him to continue to compete after the buyout?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:29 am 
100000 CLUB

Cashman wrote:
I think you can get as crazy as you want, if you think he is going to stay the entire length of the contract. I think this would lessen the later years of the contract, when he is older. But, if you sign a 10yr deal with a 4yr buyout, would you be winning a WS or amass the talent because of him to continue to compete after the buyout?

You have to be going for a WS.

Trump '24

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:01 am 

Cashman wrote:

Jerry doesn’t care because he won’t be the one paying his salary. The next owner will.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:09 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
8ys $240 million-- provided the first 3-4 years pays $80-100 million and there is an opt out in year 3 and/or year 4-- might get it done.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:15 am 

Keyser Soze wrote:
Cashman wrote:

Jerry doesn’t care because he won’t be the one paying his salary. The next owner will.

And what if Jerry lives another 10yrs?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:16 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
8ys $240 million-- provided the first 3-4 years pays $80-100 million and there is an opt out in year 3 and/or year 4-- might get it done.

Still begs the question, are you winning a WS in those 3-4yrs?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:21 am 

Cashman wrote:
Keyser Soze wrote:
Cashman wrote:

You know he can sell the team before he dies, right?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:30 am 

Keyser Soze wrote:
Cashman wrote:
Keyser Soze wrote:
Cashman wrote:

Didn't we have those indications a couple years ago? Letting the beer contract run out? Stuff like that. If he were to sell, he would of already. Are you suggesting he is going to pack the roster with talent, so he can sell? And it starts with Harper?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:37 am 
100000 CLUB

Cashman wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

Still begs the question, are you winning a WS in those 3-4yrs?
Obviously nobody can guarantee that, but you better be doing everything you can to try and win one. For example, if you have a top top prospect but a glaring need on your MLB ballclub (i.e., trading Torres for Chapman), you have to be ready to make that deal at a moment's notice.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:43 am 

I am not against the buyout, just wondering what else happens.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:46 am 
100000 CLUB

Cashman wrote:
I am not against the buyout, just wondering what else happens.
You win a Championship and revel in that. Or, lose in the DS or CS, they leave via free agency, and you move on. Just like what happened to the Nats.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:47 am 

Cashman wrote:
Keyser Soze wrote:
Cashman wrote:
Keyser Soze wrote:
Cashman wrote:

Didn't we have those indications a couple years ago? Letting the beer contract run out? Stuff like that. If he were to sell, he would of already. Are you suggesting he is going to pack the roster with talent, so he can sell? And it starts with Harper?

Harper or Machado

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:03 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Harper and Machado are the 2 top free agents this year. I think it was brought up earlier that the last FA splash the sox made like this was Albert Belle.

For all you young mathematicians out there....that is 21 consecutive years of NOT signing top free agents. I'm sorry, but I don't think the Sox are signing either one.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:33 am 

Big Chicagoan wrote:
Nas wrote:
Big Chicagoan wrote:

Nobody should use a 22 year old transaction as evidence to back up an assertion like this. The fact that the transaction in question was terminated after only two years because Reinsdorf refused to cough up a $4.25 million raise divided over three years makes it even worse.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:34 am 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
RFDC wrote:

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:56 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:

Why would he take a deal that pays him less over the first 3-4 years than the average of the contract? Does he want all the money deferred, after he opts out?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:00 pm 
100000 CLUB

Because he can make about $25million a year and still go after another ginormous contract before he turns 30/31. If he's ouchy or as a Heyward like regression, he sticks around and makes another boatload of cash over the rest of the contract. Its win win for the player.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
good dolphin wrote:
Cashman wrote:
Big Chicagoan wrote:
Nas wrote:
Big Chicagoan wrote:

Harper turned down 300 million because there were no opt outs.

Both of the contracts that each of these players sign will have an opt out by year 4 so that they can hit the free agent market yet again at age 30. If I were the agent I'd want one in year 3 to hit the market again at 29. If I were an owner, I would look at these as 3-4 year contracts. But I'm just me. I hope that is good enough for everyone

I think you're right about Harper and Machado getting opt outs, but I think you're wrong in looking at these contracts as 3 or 4 year contracts. What if one of these guys ends up chronically injured, like Griffey Jr., or just plain sucks like Heyward or Darvish? You're going to get saddled with the entire contract.

The fact of the matter is, the vast majority of the time, these mega contracts do not work out. It's really not worth the gamble, because whether they sign one of these guys or they don't, this team is only going to go as far as their young talent takes them.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 594 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 20  Next