It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 4:28 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 344 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
What do y'all think about Eddie Rosario? Can the White Sox live with his defense in RF while Eloy is in LF? The bat seems to play and would fit into the #6 slot in the lineup.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
What do y'all think about Eddie Rosario? Can the White Sox live with his defense in RF while Eloy is in LF? The bat seems to play and would fit into the #6 slot in the lineup.

Cubanos, not Borinqueños!

I've read that he plays stupid. Impulsive, strikes out too much on bad pitches, doesn't walk.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:43 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:38 am 

This has been a curious off season so far.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:01 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Huge trade, Dunning is the piece leaving

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:07 am 

Why would you give up Dunning for a mid 30s pitcher whose best days are behind him?

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:09 am 

RFDC wrote:
Why would you give up Dunning for a mid 30s pitcher whose best days are behind him?

It's a win now move. Sox will still have the room to add salary if they need to address pitching with free agency and they also project Crochet as a starter ala Sale.

When it came to a big game, the Sox had no confidence in Dunning, that tells you he's expendable for a team trying to win.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:57 am 

pizza_Place: What??
I'm enraged! This kid will be breaking bats long after Lynn has gone to pasture. I think Dunning will outperform Lynn NEXT YEAR. Yeah, I'm biased because I loved him the minute we got him from the Nationals but everything he's done has only made my love stronger. He doesn't have ace stuff but he has an ace mind with above average stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:01 am 

pizza_Place: What??
LaRussa the GM now too? This has got his drunk stink all over it

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:03 am 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Huge trade, Dunning is the piece leaving

Sorta surprised they gave up on Dunning for a guy with one year left on his deal. Lynn should help though.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:12 am 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
As a Cub fan let me tell you how great “win now” trades can be!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:22 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Nardi wrote:
I'm enraged! This kid will be breaking bats long after Lynn has gone to pasture. I think Dunning will outperform Lynn NEXT YEAR. Yeah, I'm biased because I loved him the minute we got him from the Nationals but everything he's done has only made my love stronger. He doesn't have ace stuff but he has an ace mind with above average stuff.

This is a short-sighted trade. Pitcher I liked the most out of the young unproven starters. It’s like they are purging people for the Oakland loss. Velocity over pitching. Hate it, but he’s cost controlled. And Mr. Reinsdorf always makes money for his investors.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:51 am 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
This is a classic youth for veteran trade. Lynn will pitch 6+ almost every time out, and help save the bullpen. If Dunning turns into Lynn in 2-3 years, that won't help the White Sox now.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:34 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
John Lackey type grab.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:04 am 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
RFDC wrote:

It's a win now move. Sox will still have the room to add salary if they need to address pitching with free agency and they also project Crochet as a starter ala Sale.

When it came to a big game, the Sox had no confidence in Dunning, that tells you he's expendable for a team trying to win.

I get win now moves, I just dont think Lynn is that guy right now. I would say there is a really good chance Dunning has a better year than Lynn.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:12 am 

I guess you guys are unfamiliar with Lance Lynn's work the last couple of years. He's been a top 5, if not higher, pitcher in the AL (finishing 5 and 6 in Cy last two years). Not only that, he has been incredibly durable, leading the league in IP last year and going 208 ip in 2019. His best year's are not behind him. His best year's have been right now. Also, his contract is incredibly friendly for the production at under $10 million.

If they had made this move at the trade deadline, they would have beaten Oakland and Ricky would not have gotten a raw deal II.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:16 am 

RFDC wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
RFDC wrote:

I get win now moves, I just dont think Lynn is that guy right now. I would say there is a really good chance Dunning has a better year than Lynn.

Dunning's ceiling is a #4. Lynn is an ace today and finished 6th in Cy Young voting last season. Lynn won't have to be an ace though as that's Giolito's job. He'll be the best #2 in the AL.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:18 am 

:lol: Lynn is not an ace. That is crazy.

He won 16 games 2 years ago and was 6-3 this past year. He is a durable guy and will eat innings.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:21 am 

RFDC wrote:
:lol: Lynn is not an ace. That is crazy.

He won 16 games 2 years ago and was 6-3 this past year. He is a durable guy and will eat innings.

6 wins in a 60 game season projects out to 16 wins in a 162 game season.

The guy has been 5 and 6 in the last two years Cy Young voting.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:23 am 

So 16 wins is the standard for an ace now?

Stop. He is not an ace, has never been an ace.

He has had a couple of nice years, but he is in his mid 30s. And it is very likely his best years are behind him.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:33 am 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Dunning's ceiling is a #4. Lynn is an ace today and finished 6th in Cy Young voting last season. Lynn won't have to be an ace though as that's Giolito's job. He'll be the best #2 in the AL.

This is the proper analysis. I like Dunning. He is going to be a low cost starting pitcher for the Rangers for the next five years. They will be happy with him. My guess is that he will always be in the 3.8 to 4.2 area and you will never let him see a hitter for a third time.

The big thing I see is the Sox need a guy ready to be a starter for 162 games who has been playoff tested. Dunning is going to be on an innings count this year. So will Cease and Kopech. Furthermore, all three are still in the developmental stages of their career. You can't have that for a team with playoff aspirations.

The Sox HAD to find an upper half of the rotation starter for this year. This would have pushed either Cease, Kopech or Dunning to the minor leagues. Out of those three, Dunning is the obvious guy.

I think the Sox still need to find one of those starters you take a flier on, because Cease and Kopech will be limited in innings. There are some good options out there. I like Rich Hill in that type of role.

Now, Lynn is gone in a year, which stinks. However, the Sox have another wave of starting pitchers rising as well. Steiver is the most obvious and I would have rated Dunning even below him in terms of guys I'd be ok with losing. Lynn gives them the ability to spend a little more at the closer position or RF, which are their two other glaring needs.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:39 am 

RFDC wrote:
So 16 wins is the standard for an ace now?

Stop. He is not an ace, has never been an ace.

He has had a couple of nice years, but he is in his mid 30s. And it is very likely his best years are behind him.

16 wins on a 78 win team is pretty good.

I'd say the standard is being 5 and 6 in Cy Young voting the last two years. Someone thinks he's pretty good. As far as ace, the Sox already have one.

All I can see is that he has just had the best two years of his career, without any indications of fading.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:02 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
He's a fine 2 or 3.

Hopefully they extend him though, because if it's only a one year rental this is a bad trade.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:05 am 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
He's a fine 2 or 3.

Hopefully they extend him though, because if it's only a one year rental this is a bad trade.

I'd say a 2 year extension with a 3rd year option would be good

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:06 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
He's a fine 2 or 3.

I'd say a 2 year extension with a 3rd year option would be good

That would work.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:10 am 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:12 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Terry's Peeps wrote:
He's a fine 2 or 3.

Should work with Giolito first. Also it might be good to see him pitch a few times before trying to extend him.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:37 am 

Lynn has had one bad year in his career, at 31 and I think that has influenced some opinions of him. He's bounced back for two years straight now.

I also think older veteran pitchers are going to have better years than expected in 2021 because of the low innings from 2020.

We will never look at this trade as a steal. However, we will thank our lucky stars we have Lynn going in a playoff game in 21 rather than Dunning.

Love him being a low walk, high strikeout pitcher as well

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:45 am 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Personally, I like Adam Eaton. Signing him would make some Sox fans lose their shit on the same level as signing La Russa.

He's pretty good defensively. You can lock him in at no less than a .362 OBP. Probably gives you low double digit HR and steals. Platooning him against RHP with Engel being the LHP starter may even allow him to save up his energy more for starting days. I know he can be a little irritating but some act like he is Dirty 30 level dickishness. He was part of the Chris Sale uniform destruction but nobody holds it against Sale

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:46 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Stone on now likes it. Already scared that Bernsie's new buzzword for pitching is tunneling or tunnel it up.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 344 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12  Next