It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 3:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Rick Hahn
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:46 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:
It would be nice to have a chance to win without throwing a perfect game. If guys like JORR would spend more time looking at the offense the world would be a better place.

I don't expect anyone to pitch a perfect game, but I do expect a good pitcher to pitch better than Dillon Gee and Marco Estrada.

How can it be that Quintana is one of the greatest pitchers in baseball without being the best pitcher in any game he is actually in the majority of the time?

Because you are ignoring the biggest problem with the Sox. Quintana and Sale lose games or get no decisions in games where they give up 1 or 2 runs on a regular basis. Why? Because it's easy to shut down the Sox offense.

But it's really not. The Sox average 4.03 runs per game. The AL average is 4.43. You keep telling me Quintana is so great yet he can't limit the teams he faces to less than they average?

What are you talking about? He has only given up more than 4 runs 19 times in his career (10% of his starts). That means damn near every start he hold a team under their average. What about 60% of his starts he holds the opposing team to 2 or fewer runs do you hate? The Sox just don't score runs. Their starters know if they have a bad inning the game is over. A pitcher shouldn't have to go into every game thinking "I can't give up any runs".

And if he's losing, the other pitcher is holding the Sox under their average. If Quintana is so great why can't he pitch better than most guys he faces?

And a pitcher should go into every game thinking, "I have to give up less runs than the other guy."

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:49 am 
Site Admin

Nas wrote:
There isn't a hurricane every time he takes the mound. It is essentially a day off for the opposing pitcher though.

I didn't say there was. But you seem to be ignoring the fact that in his games another pitcher is most often pitching as well or better than he is. You're putting a lot of stock in a fraction of a run average offense. The Yankees score less than the Sox. Didn't Quintana have a day off when he lost to them?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:58 am 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Nas wrote:
Doesn't Quintana have the highest WAR in the league?

Yeah but what is it good for?
Absolutely nothing.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:01 am 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:
There isn't a hurricane every time he takes the mound. It is essentially a day off for the opposing pitcher though.

I didn't say there was. But you seem to be ignoring the fact that in his games another pitcher is most often pitching as well or better than he is. You're putting a lot of stock in a fraction of a run average offense. The Yankees score less than the Sox. Didn't Quintana have a day off when he lost to them?

He more often then not has moments where he breaks down and gives the game to the opposing team or at least gives up the lead. He can cruise all he wants but if the cruise ends up in a car wreck then who cares what he did in innings 1-6?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:04 am 
Site Admin

SomeGuy wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:

He more often then not has moments where he breaks down and gives the game to the opposing team or at least gives up the lead. He can cruise all he wants but if the cruise ends up in a car wreck then who cares what he did in innings 1-6?

That's right. In the post-steroid era (and for most of baseball history) each game comes down to one or two critical pitches. The Great Quintana ain't making them.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:11 am 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Darkside wrote:
Nas wrote:
Doesn't Quintana have the highest WAR in the league?

Yeah but what is it good for?
Absolutely nothing.

Nicely done.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:11 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
SomeGuy wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:

That's right. In the post-steroid era (and for most of baseball history) each game comes down to one or two critical pitches. The Great Quintana ain't making them.

Not only does he not make them he doesn't make anything for several batters. Misses spots, walks and gives up big hits. And you know when it's coming, you see it a mile away. Completely changes the game. It has a Javy Vasquez feel to it.

He's someone you sell high on.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:13 am 

pizza_Place: maciano's
SomeGuy wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:

If he makes it through 6 innings, (i know, pussification) isn't that more an indictment on the pitching coach/manager of not getting him out in time. I remember watching Ventura do that a lot with Shark. He clearly would go off the rails in the 7th, and rather than salvage a lead, he would wait for his starter to lose the lead.

For the record, Quintana gets 3.29 runs a game, Sale gets 5.51. If you subtract 2 runs a game from the Sox during Chris's starts, his record flips to 5-6. If you add 2 runs per start to every game of Quintana, his record goes to 9-2.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:20 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
And if he's losing, the other pitcher is holding the Sox under their average. If Quintana is so great why can't he pitch better than most guys he faces?

And a pitcher should go into every game thinking, "I have to give up less runs than the other guy."

You're not making any sense. You asked why he doesn't hold the opposing team under their average and I pointed out he does it in 90 fucking percent of his starts. Now you're asking why he doesn't give up 0 runs every outing. He doesn't because he isn't facing the White Sox. It's easier to shut them out. He isn't losing 6-5. He's losing 1-0 or 2-1 on a regular basis. Sale is great enough to hold the opposing team to a half run less than Quintana so he wins a few more games.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

"I don’t care about you; I just want your vote.”
Trump '24

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:54 am 
Site Admin

Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

You're not making any sense. You asked why he doesn't hold the opposing team under their average and I pointed out he does it in 90 fucking percent of his starts. Now you're asking why he doesn't give up 0 runs every outing.

Actually, I'm making perfect sense and I've never asked either of those questions. Clearly, his ERA illustrates that on average he holds teams below what they score. The question I'm asking that you can't answer is, why can't The Great Quintana hold his opponents to less runs than their average more often than the pitchers he is facing hold the White Sox under theirs?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:56 am 
Site Admin

TurdFerguson wrote:
For the record, Quintana gets 3.29 runs a game, Sale gets 5.51. If you subtract 2 runs a game from the Sox during Chris's starts, his record flips to 5-6. If you add 2 runs per start to every game of Quintana, his record goes to 9-2.

Unfortunately, you can't transfer The Great Quintana's pitching efforts to other games.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:04 am 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
Both should be gone.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:10 am 
Site Admin

SomeGuy wrote:
It has a Javy Vasquez feel to it.

If we ignore W/L record, it's very difficult to argue that Mark Buehrle was a better pitcher than Vazquez.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:28 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
SomeGuy wrote:

If we ignore W/L record, it's very difficult to argue that Mark Buehrle was a better pitcher than Vazquez.

What does "better" mean in this instance?

If I'm picking between the two for a playoff start I'm not touching Have with a 10ft clown pole.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:39 am 
Site Admin

SomeGuy wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
SomeGuy wrote:

What does "better" mean in this instance?

If I'm picking between the two for a playoff start I'm not touching Have with a 10ft clown pole.

"Better" means the way the modern fan chooses to judge them that causes him to believe that Quintana is great.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:41 am 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
IMU wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:
It would be nice to have a chance to win without throwing a perfect game. If guys like JORR would spend more time looking at the offense the world would be a better place.

I don't expect anyone to pitch a perfect game, but I do expect a good pitcher to pitch better than Dillon Gee and Marco Estrada.

How can it be that Quintana is one of the greatest pitchers in baseball without being the best pitcher in any game he is actually in the majority of the time?

Because you are ignoring the biggest problem with the Sox. Quintana and Sale lose games or get no decisions in games where they give up 1 or 2 runs on a regular basis. Why? Because it's easy to shut down the Sox offense.

But it's really not. The Sox average 4.03 runs per game. The AL average is 4.43. You keep telling me Quintana is so great yet he can't limit the teams he faces to less than they average?

Coming from the guy who says each game is played on its own...why are you factoring in what the Sox score when Quintana isnt pitching?

It is called hard luck because the Sox always score less on days Quintana pitches. Look at his run support versus other starters.

Let's think about that for a minute. I know you're a Cub fan so you probably do believe in curses, but do you really believe that Quintana has gotten "unlucky" in over 130+ career starts? Or does it make more sense that conditions in many of his games have lent themselves to low scores?

He pitches half his games at US Cellular field. No, the conditions don't make for unusually low scoring games. The White Sox offense has been PUTRID for the duration of Quintana's career.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:46 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
But it's really not. The Sox average 4.03 runs per game. The AL average is 4.43.

But the distribution about the AL mean isn't that spread out. 3.8 R/G is the bottom of the league. The Sox are much closer to the bottom than they are the middle, and are certainly in the lower-third of the AL in scoring per game, and are just about one standard deviation away from the mean. Take out the Sawx mammoth scoring figures, and the White Sox are a nose hair away from being a standard deviation away on the wrong side of the average.

They're scoring more runs than they have the last few years, but so is everyone in the league. Also, since May 9th, they're averaging 3.8 R/G, worst in the league.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:51 am 
Site Admin

IMU wrote:
He pitches half his games at US Cellular field. No, the conditions don't make for unusually low scoring games. The White Sox offense has been PUTRID for the duration of Quintana's career.

So? U.S. Cellular Field isn't really the offensive paradise it's made out to be. Yes, the Sox have had a shitty offense for much of The Great Quintana's career. But if he's really so great, shouldn't he be able to pitch better than the other guy most of the time? You're acting like he's facing the '27 Yankees every time out and the Sox are the 2010 Mariners.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:52 am 
Site Admin

Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
But it's really not. The Sox average 4.03 runs per game. The AL average is 4.43.

But the distribution about the AL mean isn't that spread out. 3.8 R/G is the bottom of the league. The Sox are much closer to the bottom than they are the middle, and are certainly in the lower-third of the AL in scoring per game, and are just about one standard deviation away from the mean. Take out the Sawx mammoth scoring figures, and the White Sox are a nose hair away from being a standard deviation away on the wrong side of the average.

They're scoring more runs than they have the last few years, but so is everyone in the league. Also, since May 9th, they're averaging 3.8 R/G, worst in the league.

The fact is that the difference between the Sox offense and the other team in the majority of The Great Quintana's starts is a fraction of a run that he cannot pitch over, despite his greatness.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:02 am 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
Quintana

+

Floyd Bannister

=

MATCH

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:06 am 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
JORR, do you think Quintana is bad or just over loved?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:11 am 
Site Admin

Hank Scorpio wrote:

I don't think he's bad. He's just not a front of the rotation guy. He's signed at a reasonable price for what he gives you. On a better team he'd probably get a few more runs. But I get the feeling his advocates think if he were on the Cubs or Nationals he'd be 19-6 or 20-5 and I think his ERA would be higher and he'd still be 14-13. But it's really all theoretical because when that actually happens then I'm arguing against a guy who says, "Well, he didn't pitch as good with the Nats as he did with the White Sox." So we'll never be able to agree. He's fine. But if you're asking me if I'm excited to have him on my team, the answer is no.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:13 am 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Hank Scorpio wrote:

I don't think he's bad. He's just not a front of the rotation guy. He's signed at a reasonable price for what he gives you. On a better team he'd probably get a few more runs. But I get the feeling his advocates think if he were on the Cubs or Nationals he'd be 19-6 or 20-5 and I think his ERA would be higher and he'd still be 14-13. But it's really all theoretical because when that actually happens then I'm arguing against a guy who says, "Well, he didn't pitch as good with the Nats as he did with the White Sox." So we'll never be able to agree. He's fine. But if you're asking me if I'm excited to have him on my team, the answer is no.

Fair enough. I'm not anti-SABR but I never got the love for Quintana either. He seems like a perfectly fine #3 to me.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:15 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
The fact is that the difference between the Sox offense and the other team in the majority of The Great Quintana's starts is a fraction of a run that he cannot pitch over, despite his greatness.

Quintana has a 2.35 FIP, and a Run Average of 2.7. I don't think it's fair to dock him "greatness points" because he doesn't pass some completely arbitrary benchmark of "super-greatness" when his team doesn't score runs. In only 5 of his 12 starts has his team given him 4 or more runs, which itself is being very generous considering that isn't accounting for when the team's runs were scored, and his RA is counting games blown by the bullpen in later innings.

If you're going to argue that "great pitchers do it", then I'll need to be shown when the likes of Clayton Kershaw turn their greatness to 11 when they see their team isn't going to score, and how it is determined that such things are actively accomplished.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:18 am 
100000 CLUB

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

You're not making any sense. You asked why he doesn't hold the opposing team under their average and I pointed out he does it in 90 fucking percent of his starts. Now you're asking why he doesn't give up 0 runs every outing.

Actually, I'm making perfect sense and I've never asked either of those questions. Clearly, his ERA illustrates that on average he holds teams below what they score. The question I'm asking that you can't answer is, why can't The Great Quintana hold his opponents to less runs than their average more often than the pitchers he is facing hold the White Sox under theirs?

He does 90% of the time. I guess he can shoot for 100%. He literally hasn't won 1 game this year when he gave up more than 1 run and he even lost a game when he only gave up 1 run. I know you hate advanced stats and want to give the Sox offense a pass but it's really clear what the problem is. Give him 3 runs every game and he's going to win at least 60% of his starts. Give him 4 or more and he'll win 90% of his starts.

Trump '24

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:18 am 
Site Admin

Quintana has a 2.35 FIP, and a Run Average of 2.7. I don't think it's fair to dock him "greatness points" because he doesn't pass some completely arbitrary benchmark of "super-greatness" when his team doesn't score runs.

Why are you so willing to completely ignore game context?

Do you consider Javy Vazquez better than Mark Buehrle? If not, why not?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:20 am 
100000 CLUB

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:

You did ask that question. In 90% of his outings he does it.

Trump '24

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:21 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

He does 90% of the time. I guess he can shoot for 100%. He literally hasn't won 1 game this year when he gave up more than 1 run and he even lost a game when he only gave up 1 run. I know you hate advanced stats and want to give the Sox offense a pass but it's really clear what the problem is. Give him 3 runs every game and he's going to win at least 60% of his starts. Give him 4 or more and he'll win 90% of his starts.

I don't believe that to be true.

There are guys that pitch well enough to lose. Quintana is one of them.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:22 am 
100000 CLUB

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Quintana has a 2.35 FIP, and a Run Average of 2.7. I don't think it's fair to dock him "greatness points" because he doesn't pass some completely arbitrary benchmark of "super-greatness" when his team doesn't score runs.

Why are you so willing to completely ignore game context?

Do you consider Javy Vazquez better than Mark Buehrle? If not, why not?

No one is ignoring anything except for you. Quintana is consistent. He doesn't give up 5 runs 1 game and 1 run the next. If that were the case I would be in agreement with you.

Trump '24

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:24 am 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
IMU wrote:

So? U.S. Cellular Field isn't really the offensive paradise it's made out to be.

Yes, it is. We've both been to a lot of games there. You more than I. You know this. The ball flies everywhere...and the dimensions are small. The infield speed is above average. You don't need to look at Park Factors to know this. But if you want: http://www.parkfactors.com/chw

The park is not particularly small and the ball doesn't "fly all over". Sure, it did when you had a lineup with Thomas, Lee, Ordonez, and Valentin. And there are a lot of issues with the various "park factors".

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next