It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 594 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 20  Next
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:49 pm 
1000 CLUB

Warren Newson wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Cashman wrote:
Big Chicagoan wrote:
Nas wrote:
Big Chicagoan wrote:
What’s the largest contract the Sox have ever made? Abreu’s 6/$68M? No way they drop $250M+ on someone.

They were willing to change the market for Albert Belle. Uncle Jerry made Jordan the highest paid player in NBA history for 20 years. He'll spend money for the right players.

He owed MJ - who was the best player in history and made Jerry a success. My point still stands. He’s not cutting that check.

I am starting to think the same thing. I am thinking, Jerry is gonna offer like an 8yr $240 mill deal, knowing Harper turned down 10yr $300 mill, so he can give the illusion that the Sox are trying.

Harper turned down 300 million because there were no opt outs.

Both of the contracts that each of these players sign will have an opt out by year 4 so that they can hit the free agent market yet again at age 30. If I were the agent I'd want one in year 3 to hit the market again at 29. If I were an owner, I would look at these as 3-4 year contracts. But I'm just me. I hope that is good enough for everyone

I think you're right about Harper and Machado getting opt outs, but I think you're wrong in looking at these contracts as 3 or 4 year contracts. What if one of these guys ends up chronically injured, like Griffey Jr., or just plain sucks like Heyward or Darvish? You're going to get saddled with the entire contract.

The fact of the matter is, the vast majority of the time, these mega contracts do not work out. It's really not worth the gamble, because whether they sign one of these guys or they don't, this team is only going to go as far as their young talent takes them.

Why not offer him 3 to 4 years at $40 million as an alternative to the 10 year deal - just be the highest bidder on a short team deal? In the short-term, overpaying is fine. None of the young talent will be making any money, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:52 pm 
Harper and Boras want the biggest contract in pro sports history this off-season and are definitely going to get it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:56 pm 

New Zealand wrote:
Harper and Boras want the biggest contract in pro sports history this off-season and are definitely going to get it.

For a guy who peaked in 2015.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:59 pm 
Yeah well a young-26 LHH with an MVP in his pocket is going to get paid. I agree there is risk factor on him but the Sox need to roll these dice to save the rebuild.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:12 pm 
Something might be going down today.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:29 pm 

Warren Newson wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Cashman wrote:
Big Chicagoan wrote:
Nas wrote:
Big Chicagoan wrote:
What’s the largest contract the Sox have ever made? Abreu’s 6/$68M? No way they drop $250M+ on someone.

They were willing to change the market for Albert Belle. Uncle Jerry made Jordan the highest paid player in NBA history for 20 years. He'll spend money for the right players.

He owed MJ - who was the best player in history and made Jerry a success. My point still stands. He’s not cutting that check.

I am starting to think the same thing. I am thinking, Jerry is gonna offer like an 8yr $240 mill deal, knowing Harper turned down 10yr $300 mill, so he can give the illusion that the Sox are trying.

Harper turned down 300 million because there were no opt outs.

Both of the contracts that each of these players sign will have an opt out by year 4 so that they can hit the free agent market yet again at age 30. If I were the agent I'd want one in year 3 to hit the market again at 29. If I were an owner, I would look at these as 3-4 year contracts. But I'm just me. I hope that is good enough for everyone

I think you're right about Harper and Machado getting opt outs, but I think you're wrong in looking at these contracts as 3 or 4 year contracts. What if one of these guys ends up chronically injured, like Griffey Jr., or just plain sucks like Heyward or Darvish? You're going to get saddled with the entire contract.

The fact of the matter is, the vast majority of the time, these mega contracts do not work out. It's really not worth the gamble, because whether they sign one of these guys or they don't, this team is only going to go as far as their young talent takes them.

Donaldson just signed for 23 million at the age of 33 coming off multiple years of injury. A 29 year old Harper and Machado will get their money

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
There is a guy on another message board, claiming he knows one of Harper's best friends from high school. Essentially said, Harper doesn't like Philly, wants to live in Chicago, Chicago has submitted an offer and it is the highest.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Cashman wrote:
There is a guy on another message board, claiming he knows one of Harper's best friends from high school. Essentially said, Harper doesn't like Philly, wants to live in Chicago, Chicago has submitted an offer and it is the highest.

Still some people on White Sox Interactive huh? It's a miracle.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:33 pm 

WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
Cashman wrote:

Soxtalk

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:33 pm 

New Zealand wrote:
Something might be going down today.

What are you hearing and where?

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Quonset
Didn't they say Theo is on a flight to the winter meetings today? I doubt anything goes down today.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:45 pm 

GoldenJet wrote:
Didn't they say Theo is on a flight to the winter meetings today? I doubt anything goes down today.

Rest of the group will surely wait for Theo to start making moves.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:49 pm 

Cashman wrote:
Cashman wrote:

Soxtalk

seeing that as well. Soxtalk seems to get fairly reliable info.

Harper would not be my choice out of the two but he would be my choice over everyone else. I think the Sox are in pretty good shape in the OF. However, they can always trade that surplus for what other needs.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
good dolphin wrote:
Cashman wrote:
Cashman wrote:

Soxtalk

Harper would not be my choice out of the two but he would be my choice over everyone else. I think the Sox are in pretty good shape in the OF. However, they can always trade that surplus for what other needs.

Those are some odd details peavy44 is sharing, though....but I can't stop refreshing that page.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:00 pm 

Wait...you think "Chicago has submitted an offer and it is the highest" means the White Sox?

No way.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:05 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
GoldenJet wrote:
Wait...you think "Chicago has submitted an offer and it is the highest" means the White Sox?

No way.

I don't think a guy named peavy44 is talking about the Cubs on a White Sox message board. But I remember back in the day when the Cubs were supposed to get Peavy too.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:13 pm 

GoldenJet wrote:

No way.

He said the Cubs couldn't match the Sox offer. I think he said something like 400 million over 12 years with a five year opt out

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:15 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
tommy wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Cashman wrote:
Cashman wrote:

Soxtalk

Those are some odd details peavy44 is sharing, though....but I can't stop refreshing that page.

Link?

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

"I don’t care about you; I just want your vote.”
Trump '24

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:16 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
GoldenJet wrote:

No way.
Wait...you think the team that traded Tommy LaStella for a PTBNL, only to non-tender that PTBNL hours later made the highest off?

RFDC wrote:
I feel sorry for our Sox friends, they are getting their hopes up and will be left without either one.
We're hoping for prospects. You're hoping for a miracle out of a lame duck manager who appears to be at odds with the front office, and for $200 million worth of pitching to not be on the DL this year. Either way, we've got shit in one hand and hope in another.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:22 pm 

Nas wrote:
tommy wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Cashman wrote:
Cashman wrote:

Soxtalk

Link?

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php ... r/&page=56

I think somewhere in the early page 40s is where it starts. I originally viewed it, at page 46 around 10am.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:23 pm 

It sounds like, he got his information for a White Sox facebook group.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:48 pm 

tommy wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Cashman wrote:
Cashman wrote:

Soxtalk

I'm pretty sure peavy44 is that Nigerian banker that keeps promising me millions if I'll just give him my bank account number.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:51 pm 

Meh, he also states the Cubs have no money.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:52 pm 
I am of the same certainty of them getting Harper than I was of them drafting Madrigal when everyone was screaming Singer. My pessimistic side made me waver l, but I should've believed what I was told then.

Same thing now, I am saying this is going to happen and the Sox are not going to let anyone outbid them.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:57 pm 

Cashman wrote:
[Link?

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php ... r/&page=56

I think somewhere in the early page 40s is where it starts. I originally viewed it, at page 46 around 10am.[/quote]

top of page 45

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:59 pm 

GoldenJet wrote:

no MORE money. What makes you think otherwise? Oh, Bruce Levine talked about TV contracts and Rosemont South.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:04 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:

no MORE money. What makes you think otherwise? Oh, Bruce Levine talked about TV contracts and Rosemont South.

What makes you believe that the Cubs don't have MORE money?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:15 pm 

GoldenJet wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:

a team they purchased for 900 million with an unusually large percentage financed

taking on investors a year or two after the purchase

investments into the infrastructure reported at 300 million IIRC, that came in late and most likely over budget

land purchases around the ball park that either were not making money at the time of purchase (rooftops) or are not sufficiently mature to make a profit (hotel)

two early moves to reduce payroll with players they liked on relatively inexpensive contracts

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:18 pm 

GoldenJet wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:

Why are we talking about the Cubs in a Sox thread?

You don't get enough Cubs out of 670 and 1000?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:35 pm 
The Cubs don't have more money to spend than the Sox. The Sox can outbid them 100%. Whether they chose to is all that matters, but if it comes down to a matter of who has more available means Harper will pick the Sox.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 594 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 20  Next