It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 9:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 344 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:59 am 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
good dolphin wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Personally, I like Adam Eaton. Signing him would make some Sox fans lose their shit on the same level as signing La Russa.

He's pretty good defensively. You can lock him in at no less than a .362 OBP. Probably gives you low double digit HR and steals. Platooning him against RHP with Engel being the LHP starter may even allow him to save up his energy more for starting days. I know he can be a little irritating but some act like he is Dirty 30 level dickishness. He was part of the Chris Sale uniform destruction but nobody holds it against Sale

I'll pass on Pederson...though he sure has played in a lot of playoff games. Also pass on Rosario, who has been mentioned elsewhere.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:07 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Eaton would likely be the best fit out of that group.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:31 am 

pizza_Place: What??
Rangers had the right analysis. Out of the young-uns the Sox have, Dunning is the one who actually will get through the lineup the 3rd time. I'm going to get all Hawky on this but bear with me. The key to going 7 isn't getting guys out. The key is getting guys to get themselves out early. There's pitchers that throw and pitchers that pitch. We gave up a pitching pitcher. You challenge and get ahead early, you trick them late with command. I have nothing against Lynn, but we already had a Lynn. Not in 2 years, right now. Dunning figures things out, and he's been figuring it out quickly. He is one grip away, one extra twist, from being an ace. I'm enraged that we gave up a 5 year window guy. But I guess Dunning doesn't mind. He's been looked past since his days at Florida. Just more fuel for him.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Adam Eaton?

Ugh.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:42 pm 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
Adam Eaton?

Ugh.

Glove and playoff experience. Can he find a way not to be an annoying little fuck?

Only thing that really worries me is his strikeouts.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:44 pm 

He was worse than Mazara last year.

That's impressive.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:46 pm 

Brantley was the move to make.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:46 pm 

Terry's Peeps wrote:

That's impressive.

In his last full season, he was solid, though. I probably would have went with Brantley, but the Sox love re-treads.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:47 pm 

Nardi wrote:
R I have nothing against Lynn, but we already had a Lynn. Not in 2 years, right now. .

You are off your rocker. Even if Dunning maxes out his potential this year, he's still on an innings count for next year. We would have to find pitching at the trading deadline to cover his inability to take the ball at the end of the season or he'd be going 4 innings per start

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:58 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
Nardi wrote:
R I have nothing against Lynn, but we already had a Lynn. Not in 2 years, right now. .

You are off your rocker. Even if Dunning maxes out his potential this year, he's still on an innings count for next year. We would have to find pitching at the trading deadline to cover his inability to take the ball at the end of the season or he'd be going 4 innings per start

They definitely thought about Lynn because of Game 3, but they also know that they needed a guy who has proven he can pitch and win over 162 games.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:15 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
Nardi wrote:

I'm admittedly biased, but not off my rocker. It's a little late in his career for an innings count. No, I think the new GM, a ex-pitcher, 3 hours into the job, knows what he's getting. And more than willing to throw the 26 year old into the fire. and the 26 year old who's happy about it and itching to show his pitching wares.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:55 pm 

Terry's Peeps wrote:

That's impressive.

and 2020 should definitely be a year whose production should be relied upon as indicative of something.

Abreu was the 2020 MVP. You think he is ever winning another one of those?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:58 pm 

RFDC wrote:
Brantley was the move to make.

Reportedly too expensive, which I find disturbing.

If they said they were looking for more defense from RF, I could agree. JR just sat on record profits for the last half decade. Expensive shouldn't have been an issue.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:01 pm 

OK, so they filled their most pressing needs with talent but low contracts. It's time to go out there and get the best closer on the market.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:11 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
OK, so they filled their most pressing needs with talent but low contracts. It's time to go out there and get the best closer on the market.

Dolphin reliving the good ol' days of 2016. Justin Mourneau, James Shields, and Melky Cabrera. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Gave up a 5 year window guy. I like the 5 year window. It WAS a good plan. Yes, I'm being hyperbolic, but it makes me very nervous when my GM is no longer in charge.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
Nardi wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Dolphin reliving the good ol' days of 2016. Justin Mourneau, James Shields, and Melky Cabrera. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Gave up a 5 year window guy. I like the 5 year window. It WAS a good plan. Yes, I'm being hyperbolic, but it makes me very nervous when my GM is no longer in charge.

If the Sox don’t win because they no longer have Dane Dunning, the roster probably isn’t what we think it is.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:23 pm 

Nardi wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

They just traded for the guy who came in sixth in the Cy Young last year. They now have 3 of the top 7 vote getters for Cy Young last year in their rotation.

They gave up a guy who tops out as Quintana in his lesser years.

Go sell your fear in the Covid section.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:26 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
[ They now have 3 of the top 7 vote getters for Cy Young last year in their rotation.

I wanted to quote this so that everyone could just try that on for a little while.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:28 pm 

This Ends in Antioch wrote:
Nardi wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

If the Sox don’t win because they no longer have Dane Dunning, the roster probably isn’t what we think it is.

Hyperbolic. The trend from the day LaRussa was hired makes me itchy. We've been down this road before. Haven't we learned it isn't about one year and a search for fool's gold? I got my WS win 15 years ago. We are in a division where we have the most resources and should be kicking ass year after year. But we haven't and we don't. Now we have that chance. Don't fuck up my 5 year window.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:30 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
Nardi wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

They just traded for the guy who came in sixth in the Cy Young last year. They now have 3 of the top 7 vote getters for Cy Young last year in their rotation.

See you later, Rick Hahn, thanks for your service. Tony and Kenny will take it from here.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:55 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
Nardi wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

They also traded Tatis for Shields.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:34 pm 

conns7901 wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Nardi wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Shields wasn't even good at the time of that trade. Lynn is

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:40 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
conns7901 wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Nardi wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Shields wasn't even good at the time of that trade. Lynn is

He was solid to good the previous 5 seasons and had a trash April the year of the trade.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Guess we can mark down Conns for "Dane Dunning is as good as Tatis Jr". Somebody bump the worst thoughts of all time thread

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
Don't overvalue prospects !
Don't trade any prospects !

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
The Tatis trade is bad today, but he was 17 at the time. No one could have known what he was then. Dunning on the other hand is 25 and isn't going to have a high ceiling.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:48 pm 

That's not really fair to Dunning. Who knows what he ends up being.

Trading a mid to upper tier prospect for a quality 2/3 starter is fine.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Terry's Peeps wrote:
That's not really fair to Dunning. Who knows what he ends up being.

Trading a mid to upper tier prospect for a quality 2/3 starter is fine.

Dunning is probably a 4, that's his ceiling. It's not a knock on him as a lot of teams would love a 4. It's just saying that it's a lot easier to find another 4 from within the organization than it is to find a top 2 guy.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn...Frozen!
People bitching about this trade need their heads examined.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:09 pm 

Polecat666 wrote:
People bitching about this trade need their heads examined.

The only downside for me is its only 1 year of Lynn.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 344 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next