It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 7:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 664 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: Fire La Russa
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 9:01 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
good dolphin wrote:
and I fully expect that his power will develop as he gets more MLB at bats

With a high exit velocity, that's a certainty.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 9:10 am 

pizza_Place: What??
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Nardi wrote:
WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
Nardi wrote:
WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
I said none of that, but here you are taking things and running with it like you always do.

There is no reason Lamb should have been STARTING playing in half of the games the Sox have played over the last 3 weeks. None.

There are other questionable moves LaRussa has made as well, but keep going back to shitting on Giolito and harping on that move even though we have all acknowledged how bad of a move it was and how stupid it was a Giolito to say what he said after that nonsense.

You posted an article that seemed like bullshit. Passan dogged on LaRussa all offseason then he hears "anonymous sources" are whispering. The reason Giolito pitched more in the Detroit game is the bullpen has been spotty.

Lamb STARTING is because of doubleheaders and injuries. There are no great options with Eloy out. This has been a strange first month of a season in a post-COVID shortened season. If the bullpen does its job, and guys catch the ball then Passan wouldn't be able to carry out his hit piece on LaRussa.

Patience with Vaughn. He didn't even play a game last year.

I am not saying Vaughn is bad, but I don't question letting him sit versus a tough righty during his first month in the majors.

Nor I. But there's no choice now so....patience. He'll figure it out.

What does Vaughn have to figure out? He's hitting .273 after never spending a day in AA or AAA. That's why him being held out for bums like Lamb is so infuriating. The only time Vaughn should sit is for a late game defensive replacement.

Being great. Which he will be.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 3:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 3:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
and I fully expect that his power will develop as he gets more MLB at bats

With a high exit velocity, that's a certainty.

David Bote has " high exit velocity" and he fucking sucks.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 3:03 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
That's what you get when you hire the Mexican Joe Biden as your manager.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 3:07 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
Caller Bob wrote:
That's what you get when you hire the Mexican Joe Biden as your manager.

it would be shameful to laugh at the comment above but I did. And it was a long 5 to 6 second laugh too I must admit.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 3:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Sucks TLR didn't know the rule. Sucks even more that apparently nobody else in the dugout did either.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 3:14 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Can you please run down for me what happened here? I totally missed it.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 3:15 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
KDdidit wrote:
Sucks TLR didn't know the rule. Sucks even more that apparently nobody else in the dugout did either.

maybe they are afraid to speak up and challenge him.

maybe when one of them gets half the guts to do it, he waves his WS rings in their face and they go sit back down.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 4:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
Darkside wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Can you please run down for me what happened here? I totally missed it.

Leury Garcia is on the team, and the Sox lost because of that.

Longer version...Vaughn ended the top of the 9th. Kopech loaded the bases in the bottom half with 2 outs. TLR decided to double switch to get Hendriks in the game, and substituted Lamb for Vaughn, thus putting Hendriks into the Vaughn spot in the batting order. It was a nice move. Kopech couldn’t throw strikes and Hendriks got out of it.

Because Manfred is a fucking psychopath and instituted the dumbfuck extra innings rule that would be shameful were it practiced in little league...Sox put a runner on 2nd top of 10. Normal rule calls for last out to be that guy. Fine print says that’s not the case if the pitcher occupies the spot of that ‘last out,’ without - apparently - a carve out for double switches. The key is to remember we’ve stopped playing baseball when extras begin.

None of this ends up mattering. Hendriks does a perfectly fine base running job on a slow roller to short that results in 1st and 3rd, one out. That guy on first is Leury, who shits his pants mid steal attempt and gets thrown out like a bitch. Billy Hamilton at the plate does Billy Hamilton things. Head to bottom 10, Reds eke out a 1-0 game 2 hitters later.

Fin

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 4:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
So TLR's "gaffe" didn't even matter? Parkins and Speigel should be ashamed of their attack. They are flat out saying TLR has cost them five games this year. It's just so obvious they hate him for other reasons.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 4:22 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Jaw Breaker wrote:
They are flat out saying TLR has cost them five games this year.
It's not five....yet. But we're getting there.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 6:04 pm 

Tony's on an island. No whispers from Dave.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 9:05 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Jaw Breaker wrote:
So TLR's "gaffe" didn't even matter? Parkins and Speigel should be ashamed of their attack. They are flat out saying TLR has cost them five games this year. It's just so obvious they hate him for other reasons.

I thought managers didn't matter in baseball? That is what many people toss around here.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 9:36 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
312player wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:

I thought managers didn't matter in baseball? That is what many people toss around here.

LaRussa is in the Hall of Fame.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 11:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Panino's
Jaw Breaker wrote:
One thing that irks me this year is hearing guys like Bruce Levine say that pitchers this year shouldn't be expected to pitch 200 innings because last year was shortened and their arms need to be built up. Fuck that...it should be the opposite -- they didn't have as much of a load last year, so they should have at least a normal workload this year.

Some of the short outings are metrics-based (god forbid someone has to face a lineup a third time) but I hate the pussification of starting pitchers these days.

It isn't rocket science why pitchers don't go as many innings. They throw much, much harder now. Ten years ago, how many players could throw 100 mph? Chapman was basically the only one. Now a days every damn team has a guy throwing 100 mph. You can't throw 200+ innings regularly with how hard guys throw now.

The point you made about being able to pitch MORE this year is also painfully dumb as well. Why do you think teams slowly ramp up their pitching prospects innings pitched every year? You must just know something that all the bright minds in the league don't know, LOL

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 11:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Panino's
Badrogue will probably blame Miguel Cairo for not telling TLR about the rule, or MLB for changing the rules, LOL.

The worse call was having Leury steal 2nd with 1 out and a man on 3rd. TLR is just braindead at this point. It's pathetic.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 12:01 am 

LaRussa didn't have to necessarily double switch Hendricks with Vaughn. His turn would have been 4th. On almost all occasions, with a guy on 2nd, with 3 guys coming up, there will be a run scored. Hendricks ain't God on the mound, so you suck it up, PH for him, and hope for the best. On this occasion, the 4th guy(Lamb)never even made it to home plate.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 2:02 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Larussa will resign around the all-star break.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 5:10 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
312player wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:

So is Bobby Cox, you want him as a skipper?

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 5:29 am 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Derplington wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:
One thing that irks me this year is hearing guys like Bruce Levine say that pitchers this year shouldn't be expected to pitch 200 innings because last year was shortened and their arms need to be built up. Fuck that...it should be the opposite -- they didn't have as much of a load last year, so they should have at least a normal workload this year.

Some of the short outings are metrics-based (god forbid someone has to face a lineup a third time) but I hate the pussification of starting pitchers these days.

It isn't rocket science why pitchers don't go as many innings. They throw much, much harder now. Ten years ago, how many players could throw 100 mph? Chapman was basically the only one. Now a days every damn team has a guy throwing 100 mph. You can't throw 200+ innings regularly with how hard guys throw now.

The point you made about being able to pitch MORE this year is also painfully dumb as well. Why do you think teams slowly ramp up their pitching prospects innings pitched every year? You must just know something that all the bright minds in the league don't know, LOL

Then they should develop pitchers who can get outs and win games without throwing 100 mph. It's been done before.

There were always hard throwers in the past, and many managed to find a way to pitch 200 (and sometimes 300) innings. Many injuries are caused by overuse, the non-stop throwing in various different leagues as kids, and specialization on one sport.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 6:46 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Yeah that Nolan Ryan was always breaking down.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 6:56 am 
Site Admin

312player wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
312player wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:

You're completely illustrating how much a manager does not matter if you think the ones that are in the Hall of Fame suck.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 7:01 am 
Site Admin

Derplington wrote:
It isn't rocket science why pitchers don't go as many innings. They throw much, much harder now.

I don't think that's it at all. If I had to guess, I'd say the breakdowns occur because of year round throwing at a young age. A guy like Nolan Ryan or Bob Feller or Warren Spahn pitched his baseball season and then played football and hoops for the other 3/4 of the year and didn't pick up a baseball until the next spring. There is simply no recovery time with today's kids moving from travel ball to winter ball and on and on and on.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 7:18 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
312player wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
312player wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:

You're completely illustrating how much a manager does not matter if you think the ones that are in the Hall of Fame suck.

The point is they guys were great, that time has passed and they are a hinderance to a current day team. Tony has probably cost the Sox 3 games so far and we aren't even in mid may. Managers do matter and Renteria is better than this version of Larussa. It should have been Hinch anyway.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 7:33 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Wild if the Sox play the Angels postseason. Crazy Joe will flip-flop his pitcher with a fielder to face Jake Lamb in the final inning of the deciding game. Post game press conference Joe takes no blame saying moves were preset data driven. Tony pleads ignorance, blames himself.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 7:45 am 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Derplington wrote:
It isn't rocket science why pitchers don't go as many innings. They throw much, much harder now.

I don't think that's it at all. If I had to guess, I'd say the breakdowns occur because of year round throwing at a young age. A guy like Nolan Ryan or Bob Feller or Warren Spahn pitched his baseball season and then played football and hoops for the other 3/4 of the year and didn't pick up a baseball until the next spring. There is simply no recovery time with today's kids moving from travel ball to winter ball and on and on and on.

Totes agree. Walter Johnson reportedly was bringing the heat way back when and he threw for 6,000 innings or more.

My brother is a physical therapist and tells parents who are worried about the wear and tear on their baseball-playing kids' arms to have them practice throwing with the other arm....they look at him like he's crazy, but he says either do that or play some other sports. (My brother has that bisexual arm thing, so it's easier for him to switch back and forth.)

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 7:55 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
312player wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
312player wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
312player wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:

The point is they guys were great, that time has passed and they are a hinderance to a current day team. Tony has probably cost the Sox 3 games so far and we aren't even in mid may. Managers do matter and Renteria is better than this version of Larussa. It should have been Hinch anyway.

I'm more concerned that the bench coach didn't know either.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 7:56 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Derplington wrote:

This would be correct.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 8:08 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
M&H this morning said that if the issue had been with an unwritten rule, Tony would have been all over it. :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 664 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 23  Next