It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 455 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Sell off 2016
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
Let's get this started

Post subject: Re: Sell off 2016
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/17121 ... ed-rentals

CHICAGO -- The Chicago White Sox are open to the idea of a rebuild and are not interested in trading for short-term rental players to spark a struggling team, general manager Rick Hahn said.

Hahn acknowledged the White Sox were "mired in mediocrity" with a 46-48 record heading into Thursday night's game against the Detroit Tigers. Chicago had dropped six of seven and were seven games out of the second wild card -- and 10 behind American League Central leader Cleveland.

With the Aug. 1 non-waiver trade deadline approaching, Hahn said the White Sox have "to stay open-minded." But they are ruling out adding short-term rental players who could only help the team this year.

They are, however, at least willing to consider just about any other action, even a major rebuild. And Hahn said that includes chairman Jerry Reinsdorf.

An overhaul would be a huge step for an organization that has tried to contend through trades and free agency in recent years. But with one playoff appearance since the 2005 championship season, Hahn acknowledged the plan hasn't paid off the way the White Sox envisioned.

"We're not where we want to be," Hahn said. "We've spent a fair amount of time focusing on the here-now for the last few years, and it hasn't paid off as handsomely as we hoped. So we have to stay open-minded."

If they went the rebuild route, ace Chris Sale and fellow All-Star pitcher Jose Quintana would no doubt command high prices. But with team options, the White Sox have Sale under control through 2019 and Quintana through 2020.

"The notion of let's sell off everything because it's not working might be a little extreme, especially if you expect to be able to put yourself in position to have a perennial quality product in the window of control for some of these guys," Hahn said.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
and so begins the question, do you trust the Sox to use properly the draft picks they accrue?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
City of Fools wrote:
and so begins the question, do you trust the Sox to use properly the draft picks they accrue?

No.

Nor do I trust them to be able evaluate and develop any young prospects they receive.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:46 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
I need multiple top prospects and major league ready players for Sale. I just don't know if you can find that deal. I would need a lot for Quintana too.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Would love to see Quintana go.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:00 pm 
100000 CLUB

FavreFan wrote:

For a pair of gently used socks?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:05 pm 

Nas wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

For a pair of gently used socks?

And a pair to be named later.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:56 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/07/w ... umors.html

5:23pm: The Rangers are “making [a] serious effort” to pry Sale loose from the White Sox, according to MLB.com’s T.R. Sullivan (via Twitter). Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News reported recently that the two teams were already chatting about Sale (and Quintana, too) before it became apparent that Chicago was leaning toward selling.

There’s “no indication” as yet whether these talks are going to go anywhere, Sullivan notes, so it doesn’t sound as if there’s anything building in the immediate term. Indeed, Grant adds on Twitter that no “serious talks” have occurred as of this point. The key takeaway seems to be that Texas at least plans to take a real shot at pulling off a blockbuster.

Indications are that Chicago would have interest in Joey Gallo and Jurickson Profar in any scenario involving Sale. We’ve heard those two names quite a bit of late, and obviously the pair carries a lot of trade value. Still, it’s quite likely that Texas would need to add some real talent to that package to get the White Sox to budge.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
Peoria Matt wrote:
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/07/white-sox-listening-on-chris-sale-jose-quintana-trade-deadline-rumors.html

5:23pm: The Rangers are “making [a] serious effort” to pry Sale loose from the White Sox, according to MLB.com’s T.R. Sullivan (via Twitter). Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News reported recently that the two teams were already chatting about Sale (and Quintana, too) before it became apparent that Chicago was leaning toward selling.

There’s “no indication” as yet whether these talks are going to go anywhere, Sullivan notes, so it doesn’t sound as if there’s anything building in the immediate term. Indeed, Grant adds on Twitter that no “serious talks” have occurred as of this point. The key takeaway seems to be that Texas at least plans to take a real shot at pulling off a blockbuster.

Indications are that Chicago would have interest in Joey Gallo and Jurickson Profar in any scenario involving Sale. We’ve heard those two names quite a bit of late, and obviously the pair carries a lot of trade value. Still, it’s quite likely that Texas would need to add some real talent to that package to get the White Sox to budge.

Profar looks like a bust. Though he has looked better in limited ABs this season. Gallo is the new Olt. Hopefully, the Sox would do better.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:21 pm 

Sale for Swihart, Benintendi, Moncada, Devers and Dubon
Quintana for Gallo and Profar
Eaton for Bregman (that may be a little far-fetched, but the Astros do need an OF like Eaton). If that cant be pulled off peddle him for a package of good arms.
Perhaps trade Frazier for the right player, but the Sox best interests are in keeping him. Same applies to Abreu.

Toss in Jones, Robertson/Duke (both may be worthless), Lawrie, Melky, Migo where necessary to get a deal done. Melky and Robertson, if not dealt before Aug 1, can be dumped before the waiver deadline easily.

2017 opening day lineup!

DH- Abreu
C- Swihart
1B- Frazier
2B- Moncada
SS- Anderson
3B- Bregman
LF- Gallo
CF- Profar
RF- Benintendi

Profar can play basically anywhere, Texas is tinkering with him as an OF. Him playing CF is less than ideal.
Collins on the way to replace Swihart.
Devers and Dubon as redundant IF options should Bregman, Anderson or Moncada fail.
Another round of high draft picks on the way, as the Sox would undoubtedly pick T10 if they dump Sale, Quintana and Eaton.

I think that team, with those minor league options coming, plus a rotation headlined by Rodon-Fulmer-Shields is a better 2017 squad than the current group.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:44 am 

pizza_Place: Lucio's
If the Sox played their cards right, they could garner 8 quality prospects for Sale & Quintana. But that is the question. Are Hahn/Kenny capable of getting the right return for these 2 assets? In this market, Sale & Q would EACH be the top SP option so they should be able to get a bidding war going and then fleece 2 teams and rebuild.

Not to mention Robertson who somehow has value (launch him immediately), Frazier (bye bye), Eaton & Abreu (keep unless damn good return) and Melky (bye).

Any good front office could parlay this roster into one helluva haul and in turn have a contending young team within 2-3 years AND money to buy a top of the rotation pitcher or two.

What is there to think about??

Unless Uncle Jerry wants to be selfish and somehow thinks the Sox will contend with this roster anytime soon.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:23 am 
100000 CLUB

I don't think that you should trade Sale and Quintana. I would probably trade Sale before Quintana because I can get much more in return. You're still going to need pitching so I would hold onto one of them.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:32 am 

Nas wrote:
I don't think that you should trade Sale and Quintana. I would probably trade Sale before Quintana because I can get much more in return. You're still going to need pitching so I would hold onto one of them.

Either guy in this market would garner a massive return and from a PR standpoint unloading Q would make more sense.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:53 am 
100000 CLUB

'77Cubs wrote:
Nas wrote:

Either guy in this market would garner a massive return and from a PR standpoint unloading Q would make more sense.

True. I still worry about Sale's arm falling off. I don't have that worry with Quintana.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:00 pm 

Nas wrote:
'77Cubs wrote:
Nas wrote:

True. I still worry about Sale's arm falling off. I don't have that worry with Quintana.

Trading Sale now is certainly selling high - assuming they get a massive return.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:01 pm 

Nas wrote:

If they traded both of them...who actually pitches the rest of the games? It would make sense to tank, so you get a haul from Sale and Quintana, but also get a high draft slot and better international bonus pool money. That'd be a tough pill to swallow, watching the likes of Tyler Danish finish out the season, but winning more games this season could potentially prolong any rebuild process.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:19 pm 

Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
Nas wrote:

If they traded both of them...who actually pitches the rest of the games? It would make sense to tank, so you get a haul from Sale and Quintana, but also get a high draft slot and better international bonus pool money. That'd be a tough pill to swallow, watching the likes of Tyler Danish finish out the season, but winning more games this season could potentially prolong any rebuild process.

They should go full tank mode and unload as much of the roster as possible as long as they get the proper return - which begs the question: Is the White Sox front office and scouting system capable of getting that proper return??

The market is clearly in their favor and they could completely overhaul the organization in 9 days, but I doubt Uncle Jerry allows Hahn to do that and you know Kenny is against it.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:35 pm 
100000 CLUB

'77Cubs wrote:
Nas wrote:

They should go full tank mode and unload as much of the roster as possible as long as they get the proper return - which begs the question: Is the White Sox front office and scouting system capable of getting that proper return??

The market is clearly in their favor and they could completely overhaul the organization in 9 days, but I doubt Uncle Jerry allows Hahn to do that and you know Kenny is against it.

"These kids can play" eventually worked out.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:45 pm 

Trading Sale and Quintana makes the 2017 team better. It only hurts in the very, very short term...as soon as next year the team will be on the mend.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:10 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Nas wrote:

You know, it's funny listening to goofs on the radio who never actually spend any money at games demanding a tank job. That said, it's clear this team is going nowhere and the death march has already begun. There's a real opportunity here to remake this team quickly. I was critical of "The Plan", but there's a big difference between tanking a season that's already lost and planning to tank several seasons before you've even begun to play. I'm going today, but a Sale win doesn't mean much at this point.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Obbies
Peoria Matt wrote:
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/07/white-sox-listening-on-chris-sale-jose-quintana-trade-deadline-rumors.html

that is just stupid...those 2 are bums

I'm out.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:26 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Walt Williams Neck wrote:
Peoria Matt wrote:

that is just stupid...those 2 are bums

I don't know if they're bums but I'd want a lot better return for Sale.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:28 pm 

Keep Sale. Everyone in the world except for JORR and I seems to think Quintana is actually good, so they should be able to get a decent return for him.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:41 pm 

Gallo has bust written all over him.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Chris Sale's start is scratched for tonight.......

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
He is Mike Olt with less of a glove. If he was so can't miss then Texas wouldn't be hiding him in AAA.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Mark Reynolds.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:19 pm 

'77Cubs wrote:
Gallo has bust written all over him.

I don't know, he's absolutely crushing it in AAA right now, and his power is undeniable, even though he under performed in his 36 games last season, and he's still only 22. He's a left-handed guy with 70+ power who would play 81 games a year in The Cell, that's certainly enticing.

And on his 2015 campaign: his HR/PA rate was 4.8%. For comparison, Bryce Harper's is 5% for this season, and league average is 3.2%.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:31 pm 

Quote:
Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeyman 3h3 hours ago Manhattan, NY
chisox said to seek 5 top prospects for sale. rivals do not blame them & 1 said "they will get it!"

That's encouraging.

I'd take Gallo, Nomar Mazara, and either Dillon Tate or Mike Matuella at the top and two more fringe prospects for Sale.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 455 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next