It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:41 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
America wrote:
They probably won't be available until Sale is gone. IF they can't move Sale there's no point dumping Q and Eaton.

There are a lot of hack GM"s (that Coppy in Atlanta) that think they are so clever and will try and insert Q's name into talks to get what he wants for cheap. Like he did to dumbass Dave Stewart. Saying Q and Eaton are off limits neutralizes these tactics.

I understand why so many Sox fans want to "blow it up". They're rightfully frustrated with the shitty teams of the last few years and even if they don't outright admit it, they have absorbed the narrative of the Cubs doing it "the right way" even though there are many teams that tried that and are struggling as much as the Sox.

First, if you trade Sale the chances of ever getting a guy back as good as he is are slim and none. I can't deal Sale to a team that has "untouchable" prospects. With the contract he has, there has probably never been a more valuable guy on the market than Sale. I can't talk to you if you're going to tell me your top two minor leaguers are off limits. If that's the case then Sale has to be off limits too.

This Sox team can compete. And I even think you can trade Quintana for a bunch of prospects and still compete. But you have to spend some money. You can't try to bargain shop and hope you get lucky with Lawries. You can pay Fowler on a 4 or 5 year deal. Now you have one of the better outfields in the AL. You sign Castro to catch. Whatever he gives you at the plate, he gives you, but you covered a key defensive position. Then you pay what you have to to get Beltran on a one year deal. He can still probably play 30-40 games in the outfield so he gives you a little depth and he's your regular DH. Second base is still a problem and I don't know what you could get there. I don't want to live in fantasyland. I've already spent more money than the Sox probably would even consider, so I'd try to get away with Saladino at second. He may be okay. Once I get that done I address the farm system by moving Quintana. You've still got Sale-Rodon-Gonzalez which isn't a bad start to a rotation.

Of course, the Sox want to trade every guy except the one they actually should, Losing Pitcher Jose Quintana.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:30 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
JR is not spending more money, so your theory is moot.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:44 am 
Site Admin

Hatchetman wrote:
JR is not spending more money, so your theory is moot.

Probably true. So they'll trade real assets for hopes and dreams.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:24 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
America wrote:
They probably won't be available until Sale is gone. IF they can't move Sale there's no point dumping Q and Eaton.

There are a lot of hack GM"s (that Coppy in Atlanta) that think they are so clever and will try and insert Q's name into talks to get what he wants for cheap. Like he did to dumbass Dave Stewart. Saying Q and Eaton are off limits neutralizes these tactics.

I understand why so many Sox fans want to "blow it up". They're rightfully frustrated with the shitty teams of the last few years and even if they don't outright admit it, they have absorbed the narrative of the Cubs doing it "the right way" even though there are many teams that tried that and are struggling as much as the Sox.

First, if you trade Sale the chances of ever getting a guy back as good as he is are slim and none. I can't deal Sale to a team that has "untouchable" prospects. With the contract he has, there has probably never been a more valuable guy on the market than Sale. I can't talk to you if you're going to tell me your top two minor leaguers are off limits. If that's the case then Sale has to be off limits too.

This Sox team can compete. And I even think you can trade Quintana for a bunch of prospects and still compete. But you have to spend some money. You can't try to bargain shop and hope you get lucky with Lawries. You can pay Fowler on a 4 or 5 year deal. Now you have one of the better outfields in the AL. You sign Castro to catch. Whatever he gives you at the plate, he gives you, but you covered a key defensive position. Then you pay what you have to to get Beltran on a one year deal. He can still probably play 30-40 games in the outfield so he gives you a little depth and he's your regular DH. Second base is still a problem and I don't know what you could get there. I don't want to live in fantasyland. I've already spent more money than the Sox probably would even consider, so I'd try to get away with Saladino at second. He may be okay. Once I get that done I address the farm system by moving Quintana. You've still got Sale-Rodon-Gonzalez which isn't a bad start to a rotation.

Of course, the Sox want to trade every guy except the one they actually should, Losing Pitcher Jose Quintana.

Stop trying to bait me

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Quintana got the shaft on AL Cy Young. If he'd had run support, he would have been right in the mix.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:45 pm 
Site Admin

leashyourkids wrote:
Quintana got the shaft on AL Cy Young. If he'd had run support, he would have been right in the mix.

Stop trying to bait me

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:14 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Stop trying to bait me

I have a safe space available at a guaranteed rate! Call for details.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:23 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
leashyourkids wrote:

And if he didn't win, Sox fans would not have been crying about it.

Quote:
they have absorbed the narrative of the Cubs doing it "the right way" even though there are many teams that tried that and are struggling as much as the Sox.
For me, its more of a "do something different" type of feeling. If that means tanking, do it. If that means going young, do it. Just do something different.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:35 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

And if he didn't win, Sox fans would not have been crying about it.

Umm... he didn't win.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:43 pm 
100000 CLUB

You are so smrt!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:12 pm 

JR isn't that dumb but he knows the fans are. Well at least the handful that still give a shit.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
America wrote:

The Sox aren't close.

Even if they sign all those guys you listed they still have James Shields starting every 5th game and a terrible bullpen. The cupboard in Charlotte is almost completely barren, so there's no hope for useful reinforcements for inevitable bullpen failures and injuries from within the system.

The thing about Sale is it not only adds some punch to the farm, but if done right adds at least two (ideally three) starters for 2017. Forget about getting Mookie Betts, one its unrealistic and two I'm not sure it makes the team better. But if they get a JBJ/Benintendi, Moncada, Swihart + some farmhands deal for Sale that is three starters (OF, 2B and C/OF) for 2017 AND minor league depth. What has held the Sox back a lot in the past is going into the season with absolute dogshit at critical positions. Sale's value is immense, but its only poured into 1/5 of the team's games, if they can spread that value over all 162 games AND across a bunch of positions around the diamond that's a win. The minor league depth is really only gravy.

That trade alone changes the Sox dramatically. From there they can make (or not make) moves with Frazier, Abreu, Eaton and Quintana (Q and Eaton should fetch MLB ready players like those guys in the hypothetical Red Sox deal) that decide whether they want to compete immediately or more towards 2018/19. But only Sale can really reinvent the franchise.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:07 am 
Site Admin

America wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
America wrote:

The Sox aren't close.

Even if they sign all those guys you listed they still have James Shields starting every 5th game and a terrible bullpen.

That's just wrong. First, any team that has Sale-Rodon-Gonzalez-Quintana-Shields is close. I understand Sox fans are frustrated with Shields but he didn't just forget how to pitch. He had a really bad stretch last year. It happens. But to act like he's just worthless junk is crazy. It's something frustrated fans do that guys actually running baseball teams cannot afford to do. It's no different and no less stupid than a Cub fan suggesting that Heyward be cut. I'm certain Shields best days are behind him, but I'd bet a lot that he's one of the best fifth starters in the game right now.

Also, the bullpen is a bullpen. The samples are so small and vary so widely season to season that it's difficult to know what you're going to get. I'm sure you can assemble a reasonably effective bullpen from Jones, Jennings, Petricka, Putnam, Ynoa, Fulmer, Danish, Beck, and Burdi, and you could even trade Robertson.

The fact is, the odds are stacked heavily against the Sox in "winning" any trade of Chris Sale.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:13 am 
100000 CLUB

John Danks "forgot" how to pitch well at least. Shields may or may not have. If he is 0-4 with an ERA above 5 at the end of April, then its clear something is wrong and it would be time to make a change.

You saw what the Yankees did with Miller & Chapman. I think that would be the minimum the Sox could/should get for Sale, and they might be able to get even more. Its a unique position the team is in.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:17 am 
Site Admin

Frank Coztansa wrote:
John Danks "forgot" how to pitch well at least. Shields may or may not have. If he is 0-4 with an ERA above 5 at the end of April, then its clear something is wrong and it would be time to make a change.

You saw what the Yankees did with Miller & Chapman. I think that would be the minimum the Sox could/should get for Sale, and they might be able to get even more. Its a unique position the team is in.

Danks didn't "forget" how to pitch. He was mediocre to begin with and after he had surgery he was never the same as that.

What did the Yankees get for Miller and Chapman? A bunch of guys who have never played in the big leagues. Frazier got on base at about a 28% clip and slugged less than .400 in AAA. I'm not excited.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:44 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
America wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
America wrote:

The Sox aren't close.

Even if they sign all those guys you listed they still have James Shields starting every 5th game and a terrible bullpen.

That's just wrong. First, any team that has Sale-Rodon-Gonzalez-Quintana-Shields is close. I understand Sox fans are frustrated with Shields but he didn't just forget how to pitch. He had a really bad stretch last year. It happens. But to act like he's just worthless junk is crazy. It's something frustrated fans do that guys actually running baseball teams cannot afford to do. It's no different and no less stupid than a Cub fan suggesting that Heyward be cut. I'm certain Shields best days are behind him, but I'd bet a lot that he's one of the best fifth starters in the game right now.

Also, the bullpen is a bullpen. The samples are so small and vary so widely season to season that it's difficult to know what you're going to get. I'm sure you can assemble a reasonably effective bullpen from Jones, Jennings, Petricka, Putnam, Ynoa, Fulmer, Danish, Beck, and Burdi, and you could even trade Robertson.

The fact is, the odds are stacked heavily against the Sox in "winning" any trade of Chris Sale.

19 loses between 2 teams, is forgetting how to pitch.

I am 100% for a rebuild. I would support the rebuild. I will not support a re-tooling(somebody say tool?).

Trade Sale for a couple of MLB ready guys and some close guys. Q+Eaton for maybe close to that.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:49 am 
100000 CLUB

See that is the thing Jorr. You are not trading Sale to get a Sale. You are trading Sale to fill some of the MANY holes this team has.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:16 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Frank Coztansa wrote:
See that is the thing Jorr. You are not trading Sale to get a Sale. You are trading Sale to fill some of the MANY holes this team has.

IF I may expand just a smidge. This is exactly why We(Sox/fans) are where we are. The Kenny Williams mentality of always thinking we are 1 player away. The reality is, since 2006 this team has fucking sucked! FUCKING REBUILD ALREADY!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:43 am 
Site Admin

Frank Coztansa wrote:

You're probably not going to be able to do that as easily as you guys seem to think. If you're going to trade Sale, you better be getting back at least one guy who is a fixture in your lineup for 5-8 seasons and has some All-Star seasons in there.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:46 am 
Site Admin

Cashman wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

IF I may expand just a smidge. This is exactly why We(Sox/fans) are where we are. The Kenny Williams mentality of always thinking we are 1 player away. The reality is, since 2006 this team has fucking sucked! FUCKING REBUILD ALREADY!

You have a relatively young, controllable core of Sale, Rodon, Quintana, Eaton, and Anderson plus Abreu. After you're done making all these trades do you really believe you're going to have a young, controllable core that is better than that?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:48 am 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
I agree with JORR that worst move the Sox can make is trading Sale simply for the sake of trading him. If they let that shithead in Atlanta talk them down or settle for less than they should from Dombrowski, Luhnow or Cashman I will be furious. Absolutely must get major league starters in return for Sale, as nice as Gleyber Torres and Clint Frazier are they are both more suited for a Q/Eaton/Abreu deal than a Sale one unless they are being included on top of something more valuable from the Yankees. If they cant get the deal they deserve for Sale then they shouldn't do it, but the ideal scenario is Sale gets moved for some new position player starters and the Sox sell off whatever pieces they can now for a high price before shopping the rest at the deadline to rebuild the farm.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:05 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

You're probably not going to be able to do that as easily as you guys seem to think. If you're going to trade Sale, you better be getting back at least one guy who is a fixture in your lineup for 5-8 seasons and has some All-Star seasons in there.

You would hope! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:23 am 
Site Admin

Hatchetman wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

You would hope! :lol:

Are you confident in that?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:24 am 

You guys are nuts to want to get rid of a cost-controlled Sale.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:27 am 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
leashyourkids wrote:

Well, the White Sox current build hasn't won anything, and Reinsdorf doesn't look poised to purchase the players that could fill the current holes.

So standing pat seems very close to dooming the team for a few more seasons.

Trading Sale to someone like the Yankees could return Frazier / Torres or Mateo / Judge. You have to consider that.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:30 am 
100000 CLUB

leashyourkids wrote:

I don't necessarily want them to trade Sale. I do want them to get better-- a lot better. If they can do that by trading Sale, then make the deal.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:45 am 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

I understand Sox fans are frustrated with Shields but he didn't just forget how to pitch. He had a really bad stretch last year. It happens. But to act like he's just worthless junk is crazy. It's something frustrated fans do that guys actually running baseball teams cannot afford to do. It's no different and no less stupid than a Cub fan suggesting that Heyward be cut. I'm certain Shields best days are behind him, but I'd bet a lot that he's one of the best fifth starters in the game right now.

How many fifth starters are making $21M a year?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:51 am 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Don't give JORR a hard time on that. If he wants to look at it that way, good for him!

Jason Heyward is probably the best 25th man on an MLB roster, as well.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:16 am 
Site Admin

Minooka Meatball wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

I understand Sox fans are frustrated with Shields but he didn't just forget how to pitch. He had a really bad stretch last year. It happens. But to act like he's just worthless junk is crazy. It's something frustrated fans do that guys actually running baseball teams cannot afford to do. It's no different and no less stupid than a Cub fan suggesting that Heyward be cut. I'm certain Shields best days are behind him, but I'd bet a lot that he's one of the best fifth starters in the game right now.

How many fifth starters are making $21M a year?

The Sox aren't paying him that, but even if they were, it doesn't matter. They have to pay it. I don't think they made the trade thinking they were getting a fifth starter. I suppose they could cut him, but I doubt they could come up with a guy to take the last rotation slot who is better.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:24 am 
Site Admin

IMU wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Well, the White Sox current build hasn't won anything, and Reinsdorf doesn't look poised to purchase the players that could fill the current holes.

So standing pat seems very close to dooming the team for a few more seasons.

Trading Sale to someone like the Yankees could return Frazier / Torres or Mateo / Judge. You have to consider that.

Yeah, I understand the fans' frustration. You do get to a point where you say to yourself, "I just don't want to see these fuckers again." But that's an emotional response.

Let's say Judge turns out to be Melky Cabrera, Frazier is Adam Jones, and Torres is Brandon Crawford. I don't think you could hope for more than that. That wouldn't be a bad trade for the Sox, but I'm not jumping up and down about it either, and that's a best case home run scenario.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 149 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next