It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 598 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: Trading Sale
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Regular Reader wrote:
I'd be all for it if I didn't know that Hahn would f it up.

Kenny's hands would be all over another fuckup...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
America wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Gloopan Kuratz wrote:
The Tribesmen in charge will never trade cheap pitching. Their most important analytic is $ below market value contract. Sale and Quintana lead the league.

Well, the whole point of a complete rebuild is to get young core players under control at reasonable prices. The Sox already have those guys.

The Sox have 3 of those guys. The two pitchers are both overrated and not necessarily young anymore, Eaton is good though I like him. Anderson and Rodon have a lot to prove and there's nothing on the minors that is particularly exciting. Organization is in complete shambles, really. There's no depth in the minors, there's no depth in the majors. Half their lineup is garbage, half their rotation is garbage, their entire bullpen is garbage. As things stand the Sox are completely hopeless.

Abreu is highly productive and cheap as well. Frazier is a good player. They just have stunning holes at catcher, center field and second base. Their bullpen fell to shambles as their defense went to shit.

Can't have three automatic outs in the line-up.

Their minor leagues are trending up after the last draft. And any team with 4 good young players with reasonable contracts is not hopeless. More directionless.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
A good centerfielder and a legitimate DH would take them a long way.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:50 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
The top 3 of the rotation is fine. It's hard to find a Sale. It's damn near impossible to find a Sale with that contract.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:52 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Gloopan Kuratz wrote:
A good centerfielder and a legitimate DH would take them a long way.

Yeah, I'm not sure who that centerfielder is. I'm sure he's not a free agent. Maybe they could swing a deal for Adam Jones or McCutcheon. Or maybe they could look elsewhere and hope that Tilson guy works out. I'm not 100% sold on Anderson as a defender at short.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
Nas wrote:
The top 3 of the rotation is fine. It's hard to find a Sale. It's damn near impossible to find a Sale with that contract.

This is what you tell the Yankees, Astros, Rangers, Red Sox, Nationals...really anyone who picks up the phone. Chris Sale serves the Sox no use anymore, he's the difference between 78 wins and 70 wins on this Sox team. The goal is to sell someone else on the bubble (YANKEES, STEP RIGHT UP) the idea of Chris Sale giving them that extra chunk of wins that makes a ~wildcard team a division favorite.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:13 pm 
Site Admin

America wrote:
Nas wrote:

This is what you tell the Yankees, Astros, Rangers, Red Sox, Nationals...really anyone who picks up the phone. Chris Sale serves the Sox no use anymore, he's the difference between 78 wins and 70 wins on this Sox team. The goal is to sell someone else on the bubble (YANKEES, STEP RIGHT UP) the idea of Chris Sale giving them that extra chunk of wins that makes a ~wildcard team a division favorite.

That's silly. If you get rid of Sale you're gonna kill yourself trying to find another one.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:23 pm 

3 more wasted seasons and he's gone anyways. Hahn and Kenny have failed 3 straight seasons now to build a good offense, a good defense OR a good bullpen. If the Sox had made strides towards just ONE of those things I'd be more keen on keeping Sale, but they haven't.

Maybe they'll be better at blowing it up and starting over.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:35 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Sale for Schwarber str8^

nope

Cubs fans would think they weren't getting enough in the deal

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:39 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
They'll never get enough value for Sale and they won't be able to replace him unless Rodon takes a huge step forward. They should be looking to move Quintana.

Why trade any of them? Spend some fucking money on the offense and this team is a contender.

I don't have a problem with that in theory. I actually think it's the right thing to do. I'm just not sure they have guys who know how to do it so that it works. I also think you can put a contender on the field and trade Quintana for a bunch of young talent at the same time.

The Dodgers would trade them Urias + excellent fielders for Sale.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:42 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
The Dodgers would trade them Urias + excellent fielders for Sale.

Sale would probably veto it as he couldn't be the staff ace there

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:00 pm 

Executives split on whether they will trade Sale, but more flames on the Sox are sick of his antics narrative:

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/1798 ... aun-others

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:18 pm 

I dont understand trading Sale for a package headlined by another starting pitcher. I mean, if that case you're just praying they get a guy on Sale's level back (highly unlikely) and then stealing some other pieces in an otherwise lateral move. That's your best case, more likely Urias or whoever is all hype or winds up getting injured and you wind up trading Sale for Jose DeLeon and Yasiel Puig.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:18 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
Don't trade Sale to the Yankees, they don't need to get their hands on every elite player.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:31 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Don't trade Sale to the Yankees, they don't need to get their hands on every elite player.

We must stop the Cubs.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:11 pm 

Aside from possibly Gary Sanchez Sale would be the Yankees only elite player.

And as far as the Yankees go, there are two kinds of returns from them I could live with. The first is Gary Sanchez, Torres OR Frazier, one of the many ~100 ranked Yankees prospects plus a reclamation arm or two (the Sox always do well with Yankees castaways). The other is basically a complete gutting of the upper tier of their farm system and a few mid tier pieces of the Sox picking. Either of those deals puts the Sox in a pretty good place going forward.

In an ideal world, being at least a little reasonable, the Sox get Sanchez, Frazier, Sheffield plus a guy. If they are willing to give up on Severino I'd take him in an instant at the back end of that deal but I doubt that would be possible.

My fear is they get that same Gary Sanchez deal except instead of Gary Sanchez it includes Gleyber Torres AND Clint Frazier. This is what I expect from the Sox if they trade Sale.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Caseys
America wrote:

And as far as the Yankees go, there are two kinds of returns from them I could live with. The first is Gary Sanchez, Torres OR Frazier, one of the many ~100 ranked Yankees prospects plus a reclamation arm or two (the Sox always do well with Yankees castaways). The other is basically a complete gutting of the upper tier of their farm system and a few mid tier pieces of the Sox picking. Either of those deals puts the Sox in a pretty good place going forward.

In an ideal world, being at least a little reasonable, the Sox get Sanchez, Frazier, Sheffield plus a guy. If they are willing to give up on Severino I'd take him in an instant at the back end of that deal but I doubt that would be possible.

My fear is they get that same Gary Sanchez deal except instead of Gary Sanchez it includes Gleyber Torres AND Clint Frazier. This is what I expect from the Sox if they trade Sale.

I am sure they value your opinion highly

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Papa Johns
Scooter wrote:
America wrote:

GODDAMMIT, SCOOTER!

SHUT THE FUCK UP!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:16 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
Scooter wrote:
America wrote:

Welp, shut 'er down, Scooter just solved message boards.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:31 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
Scooter wrote:
America wrote:

Welp, shut 'er down, Scooter just solved message boards.

Imagine what he could do if he didn't drink so much every day

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:01 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
I think the Dodgers offer a huge haul for Sale and the Sox accept. De Leon, Buehler,Barnes and Diaz.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:41 am 

When you look at the last time the Sox got a "haul" for trading a start pitcher the center pieces of that trade did not pan out. Lorenzo Barcelo and Mike Caruso were busts. Foulke had a great career. Howry was good for a few years. The Mariners got Freddy Garcia and Carlos Guillen for Randy Johnson.

Maybe there are recent examples, but I can't recall a time when dealing an player like Sale worked for the team doing it.

Football has the Cowboys trading Walker to the Vikings as the archetype, but I can't recall anything similar to that any other time.

Rebuilding like the Cubs sounds great in theory, but you could end up like the Pirates or some other franchise. Almost 20 years in the abyss with nothing to show except some wild card appearances.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:46 am 
Site Admin

WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
When you look at the last time the Sox got a "haul" for trading a start pitcher the center pieces of that trade did not pan out. Lorenzo Barcelo and Mike Caruso were busts. Foulke had a great career. Howry was good for a few years.

And that trade didn't include a really elite starter like Sale under control for three years at a ridiculously below market rate. There is no way you can get equal value for Sale without getting incredibly lucky.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:50 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
When you look at the last time the Sox got a "haul" for trading a start pitcher the center pieces of that trade did not pan out. Lorenzo Barcelo and Mike Caruso were busts. Foulke had a great career. Howry was good for a few years. The Mariners got Freddy Garcia and Carlos Guillen for Randy Johnson.

Maybe there are recent examples, but I can't recall a time when dealing an player like Sale worked for the team doing it.

Those are midseason trades. The Dodgers might offer something huge, and IF I were the Sox, I would take it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:52 am 
Site Admin

Cashman wrote:

Those are midseason trades. The Dodgers might offer something huge, and IF I were the Sox, I would take it.

I would have to have Seager (ZERO chance of that) or Urias (doubtful) to even start talking.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:55 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Cashman wrote:

I would have to have Seager (ZERO chance of that) or Urias (doubtful) to even start talking.

If I am the Sox, I do not contact anyone. I would not want to trade him. IF the Dodgers contact them, it would have to be a haul. You honestly might not have a comparison of this "trade". He is young, good, and cheap ace.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:19 pm 

Football has the Cowboys trading Walker to the Vikings as the archetype, but I can't recall anything similar to that any other time.

Not a real good comparison between baseball & football though. The Walker trade was more about draft picks (for cowboys) than it was about players. You cant trade draft picks in baseball. For the record...those cowboys draft picks resulted in Emmitt, Alivin Harper, and Darren Woodson...and some others.

The Sox would likely have to get 5 players in return...2 or 3 major league ready / proven...and high prospects. I'm not sure how many teams would "go there'.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:39 pm 
Site Admin

walkrman5 wrote:

Not a real good comparison between baseball & football though. The Walker trade was more about draft picks (for cowboys) than it was about players. You cant trade draft picks in baseball. For the record...those cowboys draft picks resulted in Emmitt, Alivin Harper, and Darren Woodson...and some others.

The Sox would likely have to get 5 players in return...2 or 3 major league ready / proven...and high prospects. I'm not sure how many teams would "go there'.

True, as we've moved out of the steroid era and players now have more normal "primes" of between 24-30, after which most are likely to begin declining, teams are more adamant than ever about hanging onto their own top prospects. But Sale is a unique guy with a controllable years that are drastically below the market rate for an elite starting pitcher.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
I wonder how pissed Sale is about his deal in retrospect . I do admire him for not whining about it ala Pippen

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:57 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
I wonder how pissed Sale is about his deal in retrospect . I do admire him for not whining about it ala Pippen

He did sign and was "rushed" to the majors, so its almost like a double edged sword.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 598 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next