4.) Spencer Adams
5.) Alec Hansen
6.) Jordan Stephens
7.) Trey Michalczewski
8.) Jameson Fisher
9.) Alex Call
10.) Jake Peter

That's one sad, sad sight.

It is said, that your 1st rd picks from this past draft, are 1 and 2. And the 2nd rd pick is #5... I do not like looking at Collins stat page and seeing him listed as a Catcher and DH.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:59 am 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
MANY scouts predict Collins will end up as a DH.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:03 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
IMU wrote:

Unless this guy is Bryce Harper or Joe Mauer with the bat, why the fuck are you drafting a DH?!?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:06 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Cashman wrote:
IMU wrote:

Unless this guy is Bryce Harper or Joe Mauer with the bat, why the fuck are you drafting a DH?!?

Because you desperately need young guys who can control the strike zone.

Sox fans would complain if the Sox came out of a draft with Ruth and Gehrig. You complain when they draft "athletes", Kenny guys who have every tool except the most important one. And when they finally draft an actual baseball player, a guy who shows clear ability to get on base at a .350+ clip, you're angry about that.

If Collins can't catch, he'll likely end up at first base. It doesn't matter where he plays. He just needs to get on base.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:11 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Cashman wrote:
IMU wrote:

Sox fans would complain if the Sox came out of a draft with Ruth and Gehrig. You complain when they draft "athletes", Kenny guys who have every tool except the most important one. And when they finally draft an actual baseball player, a guy who shows clear ability to get on base at a .350+ clip, you're angry about that.

If Collins can't catch, he'll likely end up at first base. It doesn't matter where he plays. He just needs to get on base.

I don't complain about everything. They have 3 nice pitchers, and I am eager to see what Fullmer does. So, the attention should be shifted to hitting and a closer. They drafted what looks like a closer with the 2nd 1st rd pick. As for Collins, if he can get on base, fine. You just limit yourself so much buy drafting a guy that has 1 position to play. If he can play 1st, works for me.

Do not draft the following:

DH
Flamethrowers that can not command the strikezone
Athletes
Anyone that is related to Kenny

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:14 am 
Site Admin

Cashman wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Cashman wrote:
IMU wrote:

I don't complain about everything. They have 3 nice pitchers, and I am eager to see what Fullmer does. So, the attention should be shifted to hitting and a closer. They drafted what looks like a closer with the 2nd 1st rd pick. As for Collins, if he can get on base, fine. You just limit yourself so much buy drafting a guy that has 1 position to play. If he can play 1st, works for me.

DH
Athletes

Nobody drafts a DH. But sometimes it just works out that way. Do you think the Cubs are unhappy with the Schwarber draft?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:18 am 

pizza_Place: Luigi's
Maybe this isn't the right thread but it got me thinking...

The White Sox don't have Theo Epstein - I get that. However, why can't we get the "next" Theo?

Can't we find the next up and coming executive building a solid resume to overhaul the Sox organization?

I realize it would take a complete change in philosophy at the top but the results would certainly be welcomed.

So, who is the next Theo out there?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:21 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Cashman wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Cashman wrote:
IMU wrote:

DH
Athletes

Nobody drafts a DH. But sometimes it just works out that way. Do you think the Cubs are unhappy with the Schwarber draft?

He caught a little, played a little OF. I understand Schwarber is 23, but at this moment, you can not compare the 2. They could use him as a trade chip, if they want to. If Collins comes up and hits, I have no problem eating crow. I actually liked this draft class. I am not as pissed as them drafting a Joe Borchard with this, but I am tired of them limiting themselves. Forgive me for having a nasty taste in my mouth from the last couple DHs the Sox acquired.

The guy I really want to see, if the 2nd rd pick pitch.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:21 am 

Godfella wrote:

The White Sox don't have Theo Epstein - I get that. However, why can't we get the "next" Theo?

Can't we find the next up and coming executive building a solid resume to overhaul the Sox organization?

I realize it would take a complete change in philosophy at the top but the results would certainly be welcomed.

IMO, I think that is Hahn. I think Kenny/Jerry limit him.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:27 am 
Site Admin

Cashman wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Cashman wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Cashman wrote:
IMU wrote:

DH
Athletes

He caught a little, played a little OF. I understand Schwarber is 23, but at this moment, you can not compare the 2.

Of course you can compare the two. They were both drafted based on similar abilities. If you're suggesting that Collins can't play every defensive position at least as well as Schwarber, I'm gonna guess you're mistaken. But that isn't why Schwarber is a big league baseball player and if Collins makes it, it's not gonna be because of his defense either.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:29 am 

pizza_Place: Luigi's
Cashman wrote:
Godfella wrote:

I actually like the idea that he is already in the system. He sees what is wrong and what is right. Knowing what/who needs immediate attention and so on. I am not a KW fan. I think he is one of the major roadblocks in the road to progress. I digress - not my intention to derail thread but lately, it has been painfully obvious that drafting is a major factor for any team's future.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:29 am 
Site Admin

Godfella wrote:

They might have that guy already and they're not allowing him to be that guy. There are issues with the Sox organization/Reinsdorf that are preventing such a thing from ever happening. What "future Theo" is going to come and report to Kenny Williams?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:35 am 
Site Admin

Godfella wrote:
I digress - not my intention to derail thread but lately, it has been painfully obvious that drafting is a major factor for any team's future.

Only in so much as it's the easiest way to obtain a real superstar under cost control. I know there's this narrative that the Cubs are built on the draft, but it just isn't true. Outside of Bryant- and granted he's probably the most important piece- no Cub draftees made significant contributions during the regular season. Baez had a decent season but he didn't even have a regular spot until late in the year and he wasn't a Theo pick anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:36 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Of course you can compare the two. They were both drafted based on similar abilities. If you're suggesting that Collins can't play every defensive position at least as well as Schwarber, I'm gonna guess you're mistaken. But that isn't why Schwarber is a big league baseball player and if Collins makes it, it's not gonna be because of his defense either.

You can not. One has done it at A ball, the other has at the Major League level in the WS. If Collins comes up and replicates his numbers, then you can compare.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:36 am 

Godfella wrote:
Cashman wrote:
Godfella wrote:

I actually like the idea that he is already in the system. He sees what is wrong and what is right. Knowing what/who needs immediate attention and so on. I am not a KW fan. I think he is one of the major roadblocks in the road to progress. I digress - not my intention to derail thread but lately, it has been painfully obvious that drafting is a major factor for any team's future.

I think you are spot on with this, and it is also what I believe.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:39 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Cashman wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

You can not. One has done it at A ball, the other has at the Major League level in the WS. If Collins comes up and replicates his numbers, then you can compare.

That is silly. You can never compare a prospect to a present major leaguer that one thinks has had similar traits at the same time?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:43 am 
Site Admin

Cashman wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Of course, one guy is a couple years ahead of the other. I'm not gonna predict that Collins will have a 130 OPS+ in his first 240 at-bats. But 240 at-bats isn't much of a sample. I also don't think it's outlandish to think Collins might hit better than .246 in his first 240 at-bats. But sure. Schwarber has made it to a place Collins is trying to get to. I'm not gonna predict that Collins has a better career than Adam LaRoche. But I wouldn't predict that Schwarber will have a better career than Mike Napoli either.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:51 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Cashman wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Of course, one guy is a couple years ahead of the other. I'm not gonna predict that Collins will have a 130 OPS+ in his first 240 at-bats. But 240 at-bats isn't much of a sample. I also don't think it's outlandish to think Collins might hit better than .246 in his first 240 at-bats. But sure. Schwarber has made it to a place Collins is trying to get to. I'm not gonna predict that Collins has a better career than Adam LaRoche. But I wouldn't predict that Schwarber will have a better career than Mike Napoli either.

I think we can agree to disagree about the comparison.

Do I think Collins can hit better, yes. But, he could hit worse. Beckham would be a nice comparison, was suppose to be a double machine, and well.... I like the OBP, but not liking the SOs he showed. Once again, this is in A ball. Would like to see him do this is AA, when the pitching is.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:54 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Benintendi would've been the perfect draft pick for the White Sox. A polished nearly complete (developmentally) position player.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:59 am 

Kirkwood wrote:
Benintendi would've been the perfect draft pick for the White Sox. A polished nearly complete (developmentally) position player.

Are you suggesting, they can not develop players?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:09 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Pitchers, great at identifying and/or developing.

Position players...they've shown improvement. Recently there's been an ability to develop useful average starter/backup guys like Trayce Thompson, Marcus Semien and Saladino. Anderson perhaps may be their first above average regular. PROGRESS!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:39 am 

pizza_Place: Milano's
Godfella wrote:

IMU

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:03 am 

Godfella wrote:

I'm hoping this guy sticks around with the Cubs for several more years. Jason McLeod

http://www.csnchicago.com/chicago-cubs/cubs-vp-jason-mcleod-could-become-demand-gm-candidate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:10 am 
Site Admin

Cashman wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Cashman wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Do I think Collins can hit better, yes. But, he could hit worse. Beckham would be a nice comparison, was suppose to be a double machine, and well.... I like the OBP, but not liking the SOs he showed. Once again, this is in A ball. Would like to see him do this is AA, when the pitching is.

Here's the thing though, and it's something that Epstein understands that I'm not sure the White Sox have figured out, strikezone control is something that transcends the levels of baseball. If a batter can lay off pitches and take walks in A ball, he's gonna be able to do it in the big leagues. The same thing can't be said for hitting. I have no clue if Collins will be able to hit big league pitching, but I'm fairly confident he can recognize a strike at any level. And that is certainly going to help him to hit in the big leagues.

The Sox have a history of believing the opposite. As if a guy like Tim Anderson will be able to "develop" and suddenly take walks in the big leagues when he couldn't take them in high school. I don't like your chances with that philosophy.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:29 am 

Bagels wrote:
Godfella wrote:

IMU

like Einstein sitting in the patent office

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:30 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
collins might catch. nowadays the only thing that matters is catcher framing. nobody knows how he is at that.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:33 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Cashman wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Cashman wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Here's the thing though, and it's something that Epstein understands that I'm not sure the White Sox have figured out, strikezone control is something that transcends the levels of baseball. If a batter can lay off pitches and take walks in A ball, he's gonna be able to do it in the big leagues. The same thing can't be said for hitting. I have no clue if Collins will be able to hit big league pitching, but I'm fairly confident he can recognize a strike at any level. And that is certainly going to help him to hit in the big leagues.

The Sox have a history of believing the opposite. As if a guy like Tim Anderson will be able to "develop" and suddenly take walks in the big leagues when he couldn't take them in high school. I don't like your chances with that philosophy.

I get it.

The Kenny Williams philosophy was/is simple. Hit HomeRuns!

Clashed with Ozzie, who wanted to play NL ball
Clashes with Hahn, who pretty much wants to rebuild the minor leagues.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:26 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
good dolphin wrote:
Bagels wrote:
Godfella wrote:

IMU

like Einstein sitting in the patent office
Only ig the Patent Office was next door to a Chipotle.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:12 am 
Site Admin

Cashman wrote:

I get it.

The Kenny Williams philosophy was/is simple. Hit HomeRuns!

Clashed with Ozzie, who wanted to play NL ball
Clashes with Hahn, who pretty much wants to rebuild the minor leagues.

Kenny constantly tries to draft himself, as if he doesn't realize he was a big league bust. He has this idea that if a guy is an "athlete" he can learn to hit. It just doesn't work that way. Hitting a baseball is the most difficult feat in sports. It would be easier to "teach" Konerko to run as fast as Rajai Davis than it is to teach Courtney Hawkins to recognize a strike.