It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Eaton going too?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:22 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Putnam and Petricka are servicable bullpen arms. You need guys to step up. Every good team has bullpen guys you never even thought of getting important outs.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:24 pm 
Site Admin

FavreFan wrote:
America wrote:
I'm not just being negative for the sake of it either. Half the White Sox roster is objectively horrible and has been for a long time.

Don't let jorr change your mind. This team hasn't made the playoffs in almost a fucking decade. There's no reason to be anything but negative right now.

There's plenty of reason to be negative but getting rid of a bunch of cheap young great and near great players for guys who almost certainly won't be as good isn't the path to positivity.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
America wrote:
I'm not just being negative for the sake of it either. Half the White Sox roster is objectively horrible and has been for a long time.

You are though. The only point of "blowing it up" is to get a strong young controllable core. They are never going to have a better core signed as reasonably as Sale-Quintana-Rodon-Eaton-Anderson-Abreu. You have to build around those guys not look to dump them. They aren't the problem. The Sox have just always gone cheap with this group. Do you think the Cubs would have won the WS if they had signed Latos, Jackson, and Lawrie instead of Lester and Fowler and trading for Zobrist?

Here's the thing about that core, its only like 20% of the roster and some of it (Abreu, Rodon) haven't been very good recently. A couple other guys like Frazier and Melky are serviceable if not good but instead of two guys like Frazier and Melky they need 10 guys like that.

The top of the Sox roster is great, really it is. But we saw last year that it cannot piggy back back all the garbage around for more than a month before disaster strikes like it did in Arlington and everything falls apart.

I will say if the Sox can find a way to get huge returns for Abreu, Quintana and Eaton, extend Frazier and pray for some good prospect luck keeping Sale is an option. I'm not sold on trading away a potential HOF player, especially with the stupid premiums being put on these future Gordon Beckhams with their 300 career MLB PA's.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
America wrote:

Don't let jorr change your mind. This team hasn't made the playoffs in almost a fucking decade. There's no reason to be anything but negative right now.

There's plenty of reason to be negative but getting rid of a bunch of cheap young great and near great players for guys who almost certainly won't be as good isn't the path to positivity.

I agree Sale and Eaton shouldn't be traded. But none of this speculation about what they will or won't do means anything as long as Kenny and Hahn are around. There should be no reason to have even the slightest bit of faith in them turning this team into a contender.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:30 pm 
Site Admin

FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
America wrote:

I agree Sale and Eaton shouldn't be traded. But none of this speculation about what they will or won't do means anything as long as Kenny and Hahn are around. There should be no reason to have even the slightest bit of faith in them turning this team into a contender.

I don't believe Hahn has really been given a chance.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:33 pm 

Williams has been running the show until now. That much is obvious.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:37 pm 
Site Admin

America wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
America wrote:

You are though. The only point of "blowing it up" is to get a strong young controllable core. They are never going to have a better core signed as reasonably as Sale-Quintana-Rodon-Eaton-Anderson-Abreu. You have to build around those guys not look to dump them. They aren't the problem. The Sox have just always gone cheap with this group. Do you think the Cubs would have won the WS if they had signed Latos, Jackson, and Lawrie instead of Lester and Fowler and trading for Zobrist?

Here's the thing about that core, its only like 20% of the roster and some of it (Abreu, Rodon) haven't been very good recently. A couple other guys like Frazier and Melky are serviceable if not good but instead of two guys like Frazier and Melky they need 10 guys like that.

The top of the Sox roster is great, really it is. But we saw last year that it cannot piggy back back all the garbage around for more than a month before disaster strikes like it did in Arlington and everything falls apart.

I will say if the Sox can find a way to get huge returns for Abreu, Quintana and Eaton, extend Frazier and pray for some good prospect luck keeping Sale is an option. I'm not sold on trading away a potential HOF player, especially with the stupid premiums being put on these future Gordon Beckhams with their 300 career MLB PA's.

Right. You have to get the right guys to complement the core. The discount signings of Eaton, Abreu, Sale, and Quintana was/is your advantage and you've squandered three seasons by going cheap around them.

The Cubs have a strong core but if they fill three starting spots with Austin Jackson, Alex Avila, and Brett Lawrie and a rotation spot with busted down Latos instead of busting the bank on Winning Pitcher Jon Lester they ain't winning shit.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
America wrote:

Then he's willing to put his name on Kenny's moves, which is just as bad. Still has to go.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:42 pm 
Site Admin

FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
America wrote:

Then he's willing to put his name on Kenny's moves, which is just as bad. Still has to go.

I might do it too for a fat salary and a big ass house on the North Shore. Hahn is the prototype modern front office guy- Ivy educated, analytics driven. But I'm sure Kenny is pushing for McCutcheon.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:47 pm 

It is kind of a minor miracle that they not only drafted Tim Anderson, but stuck with him 3 years until he came to the bigs where he had a lot of success. No doubt Kenny tried trading him every chance he got, probably still wants to out of habit.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
You don't need seven good bullpen arms unless you get to August 15 and you are really in the hunt.

Until then, you need five good bullpen arms, and four young guys (two LH, two RH) with remaining options who can pitch when they're down 2 or up 5 in the 8th or when Shields gets torched for 7 runs in the 2nd. They can can ride the shuttle back and forth to Charlotte when the bullpen needs a fresh arm or when a hitter is questionable for a couple of days, live in a nice downtown hotel, and be thankful that they're getting $3500/game when they're in the big leagues.