It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Eaton going too?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
Jon MorosiVerified account ‏@jonmorosi 1h1 hour ago
#WhiteSox appear more likely to move Adam Eaton than José Abreu at the winter meetings, rival exec told me. @MLB @MLBNetwork

Post subject: Re: Eaton going too?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:11 pm 

That misleads me. What are the chances they are moving Abreu and how much greater than those chances are the chances they move Eaton?

It seems like a bad move. Eaton is cheaper and has less easily replaceable skills than Abreu.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:17 pm 

It all depends what they get back for Sale.

If they get MLB players like Jackie Bradley Jr. or George Springer it wont be a "tear it down and wait 3 years" rebuild, so it makes less sense to launch Eaton and Abreu. But if they really sell out for prospects in the Sale deal they may as well unload Abreu and Eaton (Eaton could realistically fetch almost as much as Sale...) now while they can get a big haul for them

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
cutting out the clubhouse cancers.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Without Eaton there's a huge grindy void they'd need to replace.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
This seems monumentally stupid. The White Sox are so fucked as long as Kenny and Hahn are there.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:36 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
This seems monumentally stupid. The White Sox are so fucked as long as Kenny and Hahn are there.

IMO it depends on what their plan is with the Sale trade.

If they are going to get back guys that will make an impact in the big leagues this season then you should keep Eaton. If they are going to get back prospects that will not have an immediate impact then trading Eaton makes more sense.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:09 pm 

RFDC wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

If they are going to get back guys that will make an impact in the big leagues this season then you should keep Eaton. If they are going to get back prospects that will not have an immediate impact then trading Eaton makes more sense.

Eaton is 27 years old, not 32. He's coming off a 6.2 WAR season. He's probably getting better still and he has a great contract. In any situation it's stupid to move him.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:14 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
RFDC wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Eaton is 27 years old, not 32. He's coming off a 6.2 WAR season. He's probably getting better still and he has a great contract. In any situation it's stupid to move him.

I am not disagreeing with you. But the same thing could be said for Sale, and they seem pretty set on trading him.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:16 pm 

RFDC wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
RFDC wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

I am not disagreeing with you. But the same thing could be said for Sale, and they seem pretty set on trading him.

Yes, which is another indication they both need to be fired.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:24 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
It seems as if the Sox are giving in to pressure to do it "The Cubs Way". This team with this core is close to being very good. It sure ain't gonna get better by moving Sale and/or Eaton. But they need to spend money to fill their holes, not try to get lucky.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:27 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
It seems as if the Sox are giving in to pressure to do it "The Cubs Way". This team with this core is close to being very good. It sure ain't gonna get better by moving Sale and/or Eaton. But they need to spend money to fill their holes, not try to get lucky.

Who would you spend money on this offseason to try and fill those holes and be very good?

Fowler maybe in center, but I aint seeing much else that could push them to very good.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:30 pm 
Site Admin

RFDC wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Who would you spend money on this offseason to try and fill those holes and be very good?

Fowler maybe in center, but I aint seeing much else that could push them to very good.

I think if you signed Fowler four four years and Beltran for one you'd take a good crack at the division.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:31 pm 

Look, if the Nationals are willing to give up Reynaldo Lopez and Victor Robles for 30 year old Andrew McCutchen with 2 years of control left on the heels of a disaster season for Cutch they can probably be talked into Giolito and Robles for Eaton.

If you're letting Sale walk nabbing Giolito is about as good as you can do (save Urias) at replacing his spot in the rotation. Then there is Robles who has the highest ceiling of anyone in the minors right now. That's a big pair of a prospects, and Hahn probably gets a couple low level arms the scouts like on top of it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:32 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

I think if you signed Fowler four four years and Beltran for one you'd take a good crack at the division.

What about catcher and 2nd base?

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
eaton is a nice player but overrated by WAR. GMs are not that dumb. well, 29 of them aren't.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:47 pm 

What about the 3, 4 and 5 spots in the rotation? What about the bullpen? You hope Rodon figures it out next season, but who knows with him anymore. Migo may repeat what he did last year, he may not. Shields is awful and has almost no hope of getting better. Absolutely nobody in AAA or AA worth a damn is near the majors (except Burdi if they leave him as a reliever), so internal reinforcements aren't coming to save the day.

Add that to the holes at C, CF, DH and 2B that have been plaguing this team for the last 5 years and its too much to make up in one offseason. The Sox are outstanding at a few places, good at a few more, then painfully horrible everywhere else. The wealth must be spread across the diamond and I'm not waiting 5 years to see if Hostetler can draft well enough to do it naturally. They dont have to trade all of Sale, Quintana, Eaton, Frazier, Abreu, Melky, Robertson, Jones etc. over the next 8 months, but they must trade some of them. No amount of money spent in free agency this year or next year will be able to plug all their holes, and it'll be a while before the prospects we have now are ready to see MLB action.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:49 pm 

America wrote:
What about the 3, 4 and 5 spots in the rotation? What about the bullpen? You hope Rodon figures it out next season, but who knows with him anymore. Migo may repeat what he did last year, he may not. Shields is awful and has almost no hope of getting better. Absolutely nobody in AAA or AA worth a damn is near the majors (except Burdi if they leave him as a reliever), so internal reinforcements aren't coming to save the day.

Add that to the holes at C, CF, DH and 2B that have been plaguing this team for the last 5 years and its too much to make up in one offseason. The Sox are outstanding at a few places, good at a few more, then painfully horrible everywhere else. The wealth must be spread across the diamond and I'm not waiting 5 years to see if Hostetler can draft well enough to do it naturally. They dont have to trade all of Sale, Quintana, Eaton, Frazier, Abreu, Melky, Robertson, Jones etc. over the next 8 months, but they must trade some of them. No amount of money spent in free agency this year or next year will be able to plug all their holes, and it'll be a while before the prospects we have now are ready to see MLB action.

Yet another indicated both Kenny and Hahn should be fired. Until they are gone, no trade or move they make will get me feeling optimistic about this team.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:56 pm 
Site Admin

RFDC wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

What about catcher and 2nd base?

I don't expect them to double their payroll even if great options were available. I'm trying to put forth an idea that is doable, not some pie-in-the sky best available (most expensive) guy at every position. I think you can get away with Saladino at second in that lineup. You definitely need a catcher. I think Narvaez gives you a good enough guy for 50 games so you need someone for the other 112. I'm not even sure what's out there but I wouldn't break the bank there.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:00 pm 

there was a halfway decent catcher out there but he signed with the twins. sox are fuxed.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:01 pm 
Site Admin

America wrote:

This is just a typical negative Sox fan view. Sale-Rodon-Gonzalez-Quintana-Shields is one of the better rotations out there. In the Central only Cleveland even has a chance to be better. Shields will almost certainly be better than he was last season.

Personally, I'd try to go for it while trading Quintana for a bunch of young guys. I'm certain who Quintana is and that his W/L record defines him better than any of his other numbers. I'd bet a lot that when his career is over people will be forced to admit he was the guy I thought he was rather than what they insisted he was.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:02 pm 
Site Admin

Hatchetman wrote:
there was a halfway decent catcher out there but he signed with the twins. sox are fuxed.

I would have liked them to get Castro but truth be told he probably got much more than he is worth.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:04 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I would have liked them to get Castro but truth be told he probably got much more than he is worth.

dude, what are you, JR's accountant? when you don't have a fucking catcher you have to pony up.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:11 pm 
Site Admin

Hatchetman wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

dude, what are you, JR's accountant? when you don't have a fucking catcher you have to pony up.

Our Sox aren't Red. When they spend $24 million on a guy and he can't hit .230 our guys aren't spending over that mistake. They're better off finding a guy via a trade or some defensive type guy that comes cheap and hoping Collins comes quick and is adequate behind the plate.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:12 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

This is just a typical negative Sox fan view. Sale-Rodon-Gonzalez-Quintana-Shields is one of the better rotations out there. In the Central only Cleveland even has a chance to be better. Shields will almost certainly be better than he was last season.

Personally, I'd try to go for it while trading Quintana for a bunch of young guys. I'm certain who Quintana is and that his W/L record defines him better than any of his other numbers. I'd bet a lot that when his career is over people will be forced to admit he was the guy I thought he was rather than what they insisted he was.

Fine, I'll give them a break on the rotation even I dont necessarily believe in it.

But the bullpen is atrocious and the lineup holes are worse. Even if Saladino plugs in at 2nd and a CF can be found that still leaves Avisail fucking Garcia and Alex Avila at DH and C. And who knows that the wrong side of 30 CF they acquire will do as so many wrong side of 30 players do for the Sox: fall off the fucking cliff. God help the Sox if anyone winds up on the DL or plays so poorly you cant keep running them out there because there is absolutely no depth anywhere.

The bullpen I dont know where to start. The closer chokes, the middle relief cant get anyone out, the loogy makes me wonder if Scott Downs ever left town and Nate Jones is held together by duct tape.

Its not a winning recipe.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:13 pm 

I'm not just being negative for the sake of it either. Half the White Sox roster is objectively horrible and has been for a long time.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:14 pm 
Site Admin

America wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Fine, I'll give them a break on the rotation even I dont necessarily believe in it.

But the bullpen is atrocious and the lineup holes are worse. Even if Saladino plugs in at 2nd and a CF can be found that still leaves Avisail fucking Garcia and Alex Avila at DH and C. And who knows that the wrong side of 30 CF they acquire will do as so many wrong side of 30 players do for the Sox: fall off the fucking cliff. God help the Sox if anyone winds up on the DL or plays so poorly you cant keep running them out there because there is absolutely no depth anywhere.

The bullpen I dont know where to start. The closer chokes, the middle relief cant get anyone out, the loogy makes me wonder if Scott Downs ever left town and Nate Jones is held together by duct tape.

Its not a winning recipe.

The bullpen isn't atrocious. It's a bullpen. They should be able to come up with seven guys iut of what thry have that will be at least adequate. I'd look to move Robertson.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:19 pm 
Site Admin

America wrote:
I'm not just being negative for the sake of it either. Half the White Sox roster is objectively horrible and has been for a long time.

You are though. The only point of "blowing it up" is to get a strong young controllable core. They are never going to have a better core signed as reasonably as Sale-Quintana-Rodon-Eaton-Anderson-Abreu. You have to build around those guys not look to dump them. They aren't the problem. The Sox have just always gone cheap with this group. Do you think the Cubs would have won the WS if they had signed Latos, Jackson, and Lawrie instead of Lester and Fowler and trading for Zobrist?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:20 pm 

Where are the 7 going to come from? Lets say old blood and guts Nate Jones survives a season unscathed, that's one. Zack Burdi welcome to the show, that's two. Dan Jennings gets in by default, that's three.

*crickets*

Petricka will be back healthy but he's never been very good has he? Putnam is much the same. Robertson is horrible, but the only option I can see that makes any sense is hope he gets hot in the first half and proves easy to sell at the deadline. Nobody will pick up that contract now though, so I guess that four. And I literally dont know what else. You cant start a season with Daniel Webb in the MLB pen, hopefully they realized what they did to Fulmer was reckless and dont try it again...there's just nobody there.

It'd be one thing if they had mediocre BP options, but get past the first few guys and they dont have any options at all.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:22 pm 

America wrote:

Don't let jorr change your mind. This team hasn't made the playoffs in almost a fucking decade. There's no reason to be anything but negative right now.

To rock my soul