It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: RUMOR Abreu to Colorado?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
Interesting. @harding_at_mlb writes that #Rockies and #Whitesox have had preliminary talks about 1B Jose Abreu:

http://m.rockies.mlb.com/news/article/2 ... t-basemen/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:47 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
America wrote:
Interesting. @harding_at_mlb writes that #Rockies and #Whitesox have had preliminary talks about 1B Jose Abreu:

This better not be a fire sale for Hahn. Some of us(Sox Fans) are interested in a rebuild, not a fire sale to start over.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:11 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Cashman wrote:
America wrote:

This better not be a fire sale for Hahn. Some of us(Sox Fans) are interested in a rebuild, not a fire sale to start over.

I wouldn't be upset at a trade of Abreu depending on what was coming back. He's probably well into his 30s. But again, I don't want to just give him away because one team out of all those who have tried it has ultimately had success by tanking for several years. You have to field a team this season. Who the fuck is gonna go to the games to watch a AAA lineup? Not me.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:47 am 

Cashman wrote:
America wrote:

As a former Sox fan, you pretty much have to do a fire sale now in baseball. It sucks but that is how it works. The other option is to have Yankees money.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:53 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Cashman wrote:
America wrote:

I wouldn't be upset at a trade of Abreu depending on what was coming back. He's probably well into his 30s. But again, I don't want to just give him away because one team out of all those who have tried it has ultimately had success by tanking for several years. You have to field a team this season. Who the fuck is gonna go to the games to watch a AAA lineup? Not me.

If it is a legitimate rebuild, I would. But I will not if they trade for shit.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:55 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Cashman wrote:
America wrote:

As a former Sox fan, you pretty much have to do a fire sale now in baseball. It sucks but that is how it works. The other option is to have Yankees money.

My definition of a fire sale is taking under valued return. So, if Sale is worth the 4 legit major league ready guys, you take 1 and a bunch of lower prospects.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:57 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Cashman wrote:
I would go to games to, but not if the Sox keep up the bigfan secret squirrel talk about what they are doing.

Announce a clear and concise plan to the fanbase, whatever that plan might be.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:01 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Cashman wrote:
I would go to games to, but not if the Sox keep up the bigfan secret squirrel talk about what they are doing.

Agreed

But they won't announce anything, they seem paranoid as fuck. Which makes me feel Kenny is still involved.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:02 am 
Site Admin

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Cashman wrote:

I don't care one bit about them TELLING. US. WHAT. THEY. ARE. GOING. TO. DO. The proof is in the pudding. If they put some horseshit team on the field, I'll go to fewer games. I don't need to know how they are going to improve the team, I just want them to do it. I don't think trading Sale for an outfielder who is three years away is an improvement.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:19 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Cashman wrote:

I don't care one bit about them TELLING. US. WHAT. THEY. ARE. GOING. TO. DO. The proof is in the pudding. If they put some horseshit team on the field, I'll go to fewer games. I don't need to know how they are going to improve the team, I just want them to do it. I don't think trading Sale for an outfielder who is three years away is an improvement.

(Clap your hands while making your point)

Yeah......Trade for a proven young commodity or a MLB ready guy. I don't want a fucking project.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:28 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Is hitting in Colorado appreciably better than hitting at the Cell? If so he may hit 60 there .

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:29 am 

badrogue17 wrote:
Is hitting in Colorado appreciably better than hitting at the Cell? If so he may hit 60 there .

Far superior.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:34 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Cashman wrote:

You have hit a lot of games the last 4 years, no? Those were horseshit teams, At least Ventura is gone, Some new faces and younger guys would be refreshing..I'd think.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:37 am 

badrogue17 wrote:

LOL

The difference might be avg. 1B and DHs come to the Sox and hit .200, where they would hit .350 in Colorado.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:37 am 
100000 CLUB

Eh. Joe Orr goes to MANY Sox games to hang out and have a few beers more than anything. Sort of like the Wrigley crowd.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:43 am 
Site Admin

312player wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Cashman wrote:

You have hit a lot of games the last 4 years, no? Those were horseshit teams, At least Ventura is gone, Some new faces and younger guys would be refreshing..I'd think.

They weren't designed to purposely be horseshit teams. Let me know when you're trying to win again and I may show up. Lucas Giolito getting his brains beaten in for a season and Victor Robles in AA aren't refreshing new faces, at least not in the immediate future. If they realize their wildest potential I can't really see them being better in combination than Sale and Eaton the guys you want to give away.

I expect the fan to be a whiny baby and negative about everything. The front office is supposed to know better. The Sox actually already have the kind of controllable young core teams are attempting to trade for when they rebuild. Just don't complement it with bums off the scrap heap and you might have a chance.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:47 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
he's a nice guy and a good "face" for the org. kids seem to like him. he's worth more in t-shirt sales than the modest return you'd get for him.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:49 am 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
Tapia and Hoffman and I'd do it. Those are two guys on the 25 man opening day, Tapia is your starting CF.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:57 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
[
I expect the fan to be a whiny baby and negative about everything. The front office is supposed to know better. The Sox actually already have the kind of controllable young core teams are attempting to trade for when they rebuild. Just don't complement it with bums off the scrap heap and you might have a chance.

This is the truth of the situation.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:02 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
America + Bigfan = Match!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:04 am 

badrogue17 wrote:

Yeah, but they'll all be "barely" home-runs.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:06 am 

pizza_Place: Lou's, Pequod's
badrogue17 wrote:

Colorado does inflate dingers, but what it really does is extrapolate bloops into singles, singles into doubles, doubles into inside the parkers, and so on.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:08 am 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
Apologist wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

Colorado does inflate dingers, but what it really does is extrapolate bloops into singles, singles into doubles, doubles into inside the parkers, and so on.

Aren't bloops already singles? If a bloop carries more, it would probably end up in an out.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:16 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
This fire sale is the only way to win is bullshit. The Cubs did a teardown, and they got lucky. The Pirates have been in a 30 year abyss with zero division titles. They are also not the only team trying this course.

Honestly, the problem is that they draft for shit other than obvious pitchers. I don't care if they have the first or second pick in the draft. They fail to draft and develop position players. Intentionally losing now while the Cubs are good could ruin what's left of this fanbase.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:17 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
Intentionally losing now while the Cubs are good could ruin what's left of this fanbase.

it's already ruined and JR can save money in the process.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:19 am 
100000 CLUB

Apologist wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

The only way Abreu gets an inside the park HR in Colorado is if Schwarber is in left field.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:23 am 

pizza_Place: Quonset
WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
Intentionally losing now while the Cubs are good could ruin what's left of this fanbase.

That would just show what a weak assed fanbase the Sox truly have. Nobody goes to the games anyway. 27th in attendance in '15, 26th in '16. Way to show your support ya buncha lame asses.

The team should either move out of town or bite the bullet and build a retractable roof stadium down by the lake front...ala Miller Park.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:44 am 
100000 CLUB

:roll:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Cashman wrote:

But trading for a few guys who are 2 years away..... but wind up being outstanding, is perfect. In the meantime, they lose a lot of games, get top of the draft picks and further build their farm system, so in a few years time, they have a chance to be really good for more than a single season. But I have seen no evidence to suggest that the present Sox executives and scouts can manage this, as they have never attempted it before. But Hahn has not managed to do anything well so far, so might as well try something new. What he has tried so far (patchwork) has failed miserably.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Luigi's
Breaking News... Abreu resigns with Sox for 1 year - $10 million.

Just reported on WGN Radio.