It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Eaton to Nationals
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:22 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
rogers park bryan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
I haven't read all your posts on this, FF. Just catching up and saw that last one

You're right to call put JORR and gd

gd is a lawyer though. Gotta expect it from him.

Wrong. He's wrong to call me out. I'm consistent as can be in my viewpoint. He is convinced that Kenny and Hahn are utter incompetents and that is making him angry. Something had to be done with this team. if anything, I'm most upset that they didn't do something like this in the winter of 2014-15. They got themselves in a spot where you had a weak free agent class and it would have been difficult to fill holes even if you wanted to take a serious crack at contending.

You're ok with a little tanking in some situations though

No. We may have different definitions of "tanking". The Sox are rebuilding. They may not contend as a result of that. But the objective isn't to purposely accrue high draft picks for several seasons and sign pitchers specifically to be flipped at the deadline.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
rogers park bryan wrote:
BadRogue, Coming to the defense of Lester who just led the Cubs to a World Series title

Whod have thunk it?

Lester got himself some of the ol carte blanche with me based on this year. Sure, he, Beckett, and Dr Teeth were assholes in Boston but lets not pretend that didn't Francona let that
shit happen. He's not some innocent lamb that the Boston media / fanbase ran roughshod over for no reason. And I like Francona.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

rogers park bryan wrote:
BadRogue, Coming to the defense of Lester who just led the Cubs to a World Series title

Whod have thunk it?

Lester got himself some of the ol carte blanche with me based on this year. Sure, he, Beckett, and Dr Teeth were assholes in Boston but lets not pretend that didn't Francona let that
shit happen. He's not some innocent lamb that the Boston media / fanbase ran roughshod over for no reason. And I like Francona.

good dolphin wrote:

The damning part was insinuating he was a drug addict

He probably swallowed half the bottle when that came out

Site Admin

FavreFan wrote:
Ok, I'll make this simple so we don't have to go back and forth with hypotheticals.

You've stated several times on here that teams owe it to the paying customer to attempt to a field a competitive team. Offseason is far from over, but do you think the Sox are attempting to field a competitive team next year?

They're probably not in a position to field a competitive team next year regardless of what they do. They got themselves in a bad spot. This wasn't the best winter for free agent buying. It's rare for a team to go for long stretches without having some seasons where you start without a chance.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:26 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
I haven't read all your posts on this, FF. Just catching up and saw that last one

Wrong. He's wrong to call me out. I'm consistent as can be in my viewpoint. He is convinced that Kenny and Hahn are utter incompetents and that is making him angry. Something had to be done with this team. if anything, I'm most upset that they didn't do something like this in the winter of 2014-15. They got themselves in a spot where you had a weak free agent class and it would have been difficult to fill holes even if you wanted to take a serious crack at contending.

You're ok with a little tanking in some situations though

No. We may have different definitions of tanking. The Sox are rebuilding. They may not contend as a result of that. .

Come on! :lol:

Quote:
But the objective isn't to purposely accrue high draft picks for several seasons and sign pitchers specifically to be flipped at the deadline

Alright it's not exactly the same.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Caseys
Sale will not be the same in Boston what with all the expectations and pressure. He will implode mentally if his arm does not give out first.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:28 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Whod have thunk it?

I'd love Francona to be the closer. Maddon manages the reg season, Tito in playoffs

Dusty could use a guy like that too

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:29 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

First of all, Kenny and Hahn ARE incompetent. Proof is in the pudding.

Second, you're not being consistent at all. It took you less than two days to completely change your mind not only on trading Sale and Eaton, but tanking in general. And the hypotheticals you posited above are meaningless because we both know they aren't contending next year or the year after. And you're ok with that, which is fine. But now you can't go around talking about how teams owe it to the paying customer to field a competitive team.

You must not be reading my posts. How many times must I say I don't like the Sale trade? And I've never had a problem philosophically with trading anyone. I think they could have made some moves and tried to contend. I even laid out what I thought was a reasonable plan that shouldn't have been beyond what a reasonable Sox budget should look like, but it made a lot of assumptions. The truth is this isn't the best free agent class to do that in. I wouldn't pay Dexter Fowler $75 million for five years. If you can't land him, where do you go then? I don't think Kenny and Hahn are utterly incompetent, but they certainly aren't Beane or Epstein. Epstein paid Lester when he had to, even though it was probably a year earlier than he would have liked. He was aware that he wasn't going to be there the next year.

How many years in a row does a front office need to miss the playoffs before you are willing to call them utterly incompetent? 9 years isn't enough?

To rock my soul

Scooter wrote:
Sale will not be the same in Boston what with all the expectations and pressure. He will implode mentally if his arm does not give out first.

I haven't really tried to find the stats but Id like to see Price's home split last year. Left handers usually do not do well in Fenway. Im sure with the run support the Red Sox will provide him that Sale will win 25 next year now that he's away from that anemic White Sox offense.

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Ok, I'll make this simple so we don't have to go back and forth with hypotheticals.

You've stated several times on here that teams owe it to the paying customer to attempt to a field a competitive team. Offseason is far from over, but do you think the Sox are attempting to field a competitive team next year?

They're probably not in a position to field a competitive team next year regardless of what they do. They got themselves in a bad spot. This wasn't the best winter for free agent buying. It's rare for a team to go for long stretches without having some seasons where you start without a chance.

What? Please see Twins,Minnesota for about the last six years.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:32 pm 

Scooter wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

What? Please see Twins,Minnesota for about the last six years.

He said without, not with. You misread his last sentence brother.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:33 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
Scooter wrote:

I haven't really tried to find the stats but Id like to see Price's home split last year. Left handers usually do not do well in Fenway. Im sure with the run support the Red Sox will provide him that Sale will win 25 next year now that he's away from that anemic White Sox offense.

Could be true. I just think Sale is a windbag with a resume of no pressure and the luxury of playing on a team out of contention by May to play ace of the staff.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:34 pm 

Scooter wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
Scooter wrote:

Could be true. I just think Sale is a windbag with a resume of no pressure and the luxury of playing on a team out of contention by May to play ace of the staff.

Don't think his second half numbers last 2 seasons are all that great .

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:36 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Second, you're not being consistent at all. It took you less than two days to completely change your mind not only on trading Sale and Eaton, but tanking in general. And the hypotheticals you posited above are meaningless because we both know they aren't contending next year or the year after. And you're ok with that, which is fine. But now you can't go around talking about how teams owe it to the paying customer to field a competitive team.

I'm trolling cub fans. I thought that was obvious. I think it is a sports sacrilege to tank even one season. I think ka has gotten away with more unprofessional behavior than any mlb executive. I think Hahn has allowed himself to be publicly embarrassed

Frankly, I am in no position to comment on mlb players for prospects trades because ain't nobody got time for that, save for a few people here. The rest of us are just parroting others thoughts

Here is what pleases me: the sox aren't nibbling on this shit sandwich. They came to the meetings to deal and they look like Billy ray and Winthorp in the frozen concentrated oj pits right now. Everyone is selling to them and the prices seem to be getting better

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:37 pm 

Congratulations on your most successful trolling mission to date. :lol:

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
good dolphin wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

I'm trolling cub fans. I thought that was obvious. I think it is a sports sacrilege to tank even one season. I think ka has gotten away with more unprofessional behavior than any mlb executive. I think Hahn has allowed himself to be publicly embarrassed

Frankly, I am in no position to comment on mlb players for prospects trades because ain't nobody got time for that, save for a few people here. The rest of us are just parroting others thoughts

Here is what pleases me: the sox aren't nibbling on this shit sandwich. They came to the meetings to deal and they look like Billy ray and Winthorp in the frozen concentrated oj pits right now. Everyone is selling to them and the prices seem to be getting better

Ka like the wind.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:47 pm 

FavreFan wrote:

I made a thread about sox gm walking on water.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:52 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

I made a thread about sox gm walking on water.

Yep and rereading it you probably realized your only play was to pretend it was trolling. Well played.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
good dolphin wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

:lol:

You're "trolling" like Frank is "smarting."

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:12 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Now does not this go against what you said a few days ago? You said if they signed Fowler and Beltran with the core they had they could be in contention?

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:25 pm 
Site Admin

RFDC wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Now does not this go against what you said a few days ago? You said if they signed Fowler and Beltran with the core they had they could be in contention?

It's easy to suggest fantasy moves though. I would have liked to see that but who knows what it's gonna take to get Fowler? If he decides to go to Baltimore, what do you do then?

I think you have to look at the transactions as a whole. I didn't care for the Sale deal on its own, but with the Eaton deal you got enough guys that even if only two of the seven turn out to be what the consensus says they can it's not disastrous. Giolito is going in the rotation. He'll probably get his brains beaten in for a bit, but maybe not.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:30 pm 

Saying they are probably not going to field a competitive team no matter what they do just seems to go against everything you have been saying for the last few months.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:44 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

You're "trolling" like Frank is "smarting."

Enough to have cub fans melting down and bumping threads. Not you, of course

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:46 pm 

I love you, dolphin.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:49 pm 
Site Admin

RFDC wrote:
Saying they are probably not going to field a competitive team no matter what they do just seems to go against everything you have been saying for the last few months.

Not really. As fans we don't have any control over what the teams do. We can go or not go. If you're gonna give me a 100 loss team there better be something I'm interested in seeing. I'd go to see guys like Giolito or Kopech pitch, at least at first. I have little interest in Quintana games. I hope he's the next to go.

I'm not going to be angry at a trade that seems so lopsided that everyone in baseball is scratching their heads over it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:55 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I'm not going to be angry at a trade that seems so lopsided that everyone in baseball is scratching their heads over it.

I think that's overstating it a bit. The White Sox at least got a good prospect out of the deal.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:03 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

I think that's overstating it a bit. The White Sox at least got a good prospect out of the deal.

Yeah, I don't really see that type of consensus reaction either. Seems like those who value the war stat like the trade for both sides, and those that don't think the sox killed the Nats on the trade.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
why the hell wouldn't you want to watch Quintana pitch? throws strikes keeps the ball in the ballpark, works fast. he's a good pitcher.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:13 pm 
Site Admin

FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Yeah, I don't really see that type of consensus reaction either. Seems like those who value the war stat like the trade for both sides, and those that don't think the sox killed the Nats on the trade.

I know two guys who work in MLB and both of them texted me expressing shock over the deal. Somebody on B&b said that there was a huge buzz at the meetings over how much the Sox got for Eaton.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next