It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:39 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
A huge hurdle of blockbuster deadline deals is the budgetary constraints team have. All three have bargain contracts and will be in high demand to tip the scales for a contending team.

Let desperation sink in for buyers then begin negotiating selling these 3 assets. Jones especially is a guy who should not be sold until the deadline.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:47 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Abreu's value is the lowest it can be right now. Sox should hope he gets back to his usual self so they can move him at the deadline for twice as much.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:55 am 

The team is bad. Whatever players are left on it, will know before the season begins that they have no chance. Expecting players that know they have no chance to perform at their best is unrealistic. That is why so many teams out of contention late in the season get steamrolled. They are unmotivated, unless their contract is expiring. Better to complete what they have begun and get on with it now.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:12 am 

I believe that with Quintana, you wait and let the offers come to you instead of soliciting anything. Let other teams set the floor and negotiate against themselves. Everyone knows you are open for business. He has four controllable years. His value doesn't decrease even if you take him into the regular season. However, I think someone will jump.

In terms of Jones: my next man up for movement would be Robertson. The market is obvious for him once Janssen signs. Jones then becomes the closer, which, if he proves able to handle, suddenly increases his value exponentially at the trade deadline.

The next move after Robertson is Frazier. You don't want to get too cute with him and let an interested party fill their need with another player.

I think Abreu is a trading deadline move.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:20 am 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Quintana's value, I think, would be at its apex as you roll closer to the trade deadline, particularly if a contender loses a top two or three starter (e.g., Mets style) ... desperation might garner a king's ransom in return.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:20 am 

good dolphin wrote:
I believe that with Quintana, you wait and let the offers come to you instead of soliciting anything. Let other teams set the floor and negotiate against themselves. Everyone knows you are open for business. He has four controllable years. His value doesn't decrease even if you take him into the regular season. However, I think someone will jump.

In terms of Jones: my next man up for movement would be Robertson. The market is obvious for him once Janssen signs. Jones then becomes the closer, which, if he proves able to handle, suddenly increases his value exponentially at the trade deadline.

The next move after Robertson is Frazier. You don't want to get too cute with him and let an interested party fill their need with another player.

Might be good to have Abreu as a mentor as well. He seems like a good lead by example guy, and with Cuba hopefully opening up, it would be nice to be known as a great place for Cuban baseball players to have success.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:26 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Might be good to have Abreu as a mentor as well. He seems like a good lead by example guy, and with Cuba hopefully opening up, it would be nice to be known as a great place for Cuban baseball players to have success.

I was thinking they would have Jose when they bring up the #1 prospect.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:27 am 

Abreau sucked for a good part of last season. On a bad team, he may suck all year, with little protection in the lineup and perhaps fewer opportunities to drive in runs as well. He had a nice run after his kid came over from Cuba. Sell now and get a good prospect or two and eliminate the possibility he regresses.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:36 am 

Hahn should be pestering the Rockies. They need pitching and have young position players to trade (Rodgers, Dahl, McMahon). They might not be in it at the trade deadline and after that crazy Ian Desmond signing the time to strike is now. Hope springs eternal.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:39 am 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:41 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Elmhurst Steve wrote:
Abreau sucked for a good part of last season.

Not accurate. He hit for less power, but he had more hits and fewer strikeouts than either of his other 2 MLB seasons.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:52 am 

WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

I didn't think of that but I like your angle. Abreu is a good guy and a professional. He would be a good mentor for his fellow Cuban Moncada.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:02 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Don Tiny wrote:
Quintana's value, I think, would be at its apex as you roll closer to the trade deadline, particularly if a contender loses a top two or three starter (e.g., Mets style) ... desperation might garner a king's ransom in return.

You trade Quintana now. The offense has been bad but it's going to be even worse. He'll be 3-9 at the deadline with a 2.05 ERA and they won't fine an offer they like. Now is the time to make these trades because there isn't much available on the FA market.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:04 am 

sjboyd0137 wrote:
Elmhurst Steve wrote:
Abreau sucked for a good part of last season.

Not accurate. He hit for less power, but he had more hits and fewer strikeouts than either of his other 2 MLB seasons.

Before his kid came over, he was a disappointment. The tear he went on once his son came over was incredible. Better to trade him now, than risk he has another poor start to a season, with little protection in the lineup and probably fewer runners on base for him in that lineup. He wound up with 25 HR and 100 RBI. Let those stats and the HR totals for the previous 2 years bring a good prospect or 2. By the time that team is good again, he will be past his prime. Well, he may be that already.

Nas is correct about Quintana too. The team is not going to score many runs and Quintana's value would likely drop. Make all the trades ASAP and get on with it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:08 am 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Nas wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:

You trade Quintana now. The offense has been bad but it's going to be even worse. He'll be 3-9 at the deadline with a 2.05 ERA and they won't fine an offer they like. Now is the time to make these trades because there isn't much available on the FA market.

If you get something you think is of terrific value, fine. I think if you're going all-in on rebuilding and retooling, you push your luck as far as you can and gamble on a contender (legit or pretender) wanting a solid guy and, further, be willing to overpay for it in the long term (e.g., the Chapman trade for instance).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:09 am 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
Keyser Soze wrote:
Hahn should be pestering the Rockies. They need pitching and have young position players to trade (Rodgers, Dahl, McMahon). They might not be in it at the trade deadline and after that crazy Ian Desmond signing the time to strike is now. Hope springs eternal.

If they Rodgers, Dahl, McMahon for Quintana you can put a big ol fucking bow on this offseason.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:10 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Nas wrote:
He'll be 3-9 at the deadline with a 2.05 ERA...

More likely he'll be 6-6 regardless of what team he is on and his ERA will be whatever it takes to get him there.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:14 am 
100000 CLUB

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:

More likely he'll be 6-6 regardless of what team he is on and his ERA will be whatever it takes to get him there.

We know how you "feel".

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:20 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:

We know how you "feel".

It's not about feelings. It's about a well established body of work. And a misunderstanding about the differences between big league offenses within the space of six innings. If he stays with the Sox I will bet that he won't be 3-9 in his first 12 decisions. If he goes to a 90 win team I will bet he won't be 9-3.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:21 am 

America wrote:
Keyser Soze wrote:

If they Rodgers, Dahl, McMahon for Quintana you can put a big ol fucking bow on this offseason.

They won't get all 3. Just saying the Rockies have good young position players to choose from and for some reason seem to be very frisky.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:33 am 

Keyser Soze wrote:
America wrote:
Keyser Soze wrote:

They won't get all 3. Just saying the Rockies have good young position players to choose from and for some reason seem to be very frisky.

What if anything do the Marlins have? They seem to as irrational as they come(besides the Nats) and ripe to be fleeced.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:42 am 

What up, RR. How are you feeling?

The Marlins are about as thin as it gets. They have a couple arms but no high impact position players. Brian Anderson is probably the best they got and he's already 23 and only in AA. Plus he's already behind the 8 ball with Sox fans because of his name. Just not a good matchup with the fish.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:48 am 

Keyser Soze wrote:

The Marlins are about as thin as it gets. They have a couple arms but no high impact position players. Brian Anderson is probably the best they got and he's already 23 and only in AA. Plus he's already behind the 8 ball with Sox fans because of his name. Just not a good matchup with the fish.

I'm fine thanks, but I just can't figure out the Jansen move, on either end. State income taxes can't make THAT much of a difference?!? How are you btw?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:48 am 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Hockey Gay wrote:
Abreu's value is the lowest it can be right now. Sox should hope he gets back to his usual self so they can move him at the deadline for twice as much.

What? He had a really good second half.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:52 am 
100000 CLUB

Where have you been IMU?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:53 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
IMU wrote:
Hockey Gay wrote:

It's understandable. HG watched the best first baseman in baseball all year. After watching the Rizz, anyone else seems bad.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:55 am 

IMU wrote:
Hockey Gay wrote:

An amazing 2nd half. To wind up with 100 RBI which was just a few off the 2 previous seasons, was remarkable. Because of that finish I believe the market for him is still pretty solid. But if he has a poor start and has a low RBI total because nobody is getting on base in front of him and he's not hitting a lot of HR's, his value will decrease. Better to avoid the risk and deal him now.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:56 am 

Regular Reader wrote:
Keyser Soze wrote:

I'm fine thanks, but I just can't figure out the Jansen move, on either end. State income taxes can't make THAT much of a difference?!? How are you btw?

I don't get it either. They can use that money in so many different ways. Doesn't make sense to tie it all up in a closet and give up a draft pick.

I'm good. Ready to jump out of my skin but good.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:57 am 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Nas wrote:
Where have you been IMU?

Western Nebraska.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:59 am 
100000 CLUB

IMU wrote:
Nas wrote:
Where have you been IMU?

Western Nebraska.