It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:16 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
This is mainly a question for JORR and America since they seem to be under the misguided belief this isn't a 3+ year rebuild, but everyone obviously feel free to answer.

I can't really answer the question since I guarantee KW and Hahn don't even know the answer. My guess is they don't make the playoffs before 2022 and that's being kind.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:21 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein

Next question.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:21 am 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
FavreFan wrote:
This is mainly a question for JORR and America since they seem to be under the misguided belief this isn't a 3+ year rebuild, but everyone obviously feel free to answer.

I can't really answer the question since I guarantee KW and Hahn don't even know the answer. My guess is they don't make the playoffs before 2022 and that's being kind.

They've been trying to be competitive for a while, haven't they? For whatever reason their approach hasn't worked, save for one year. Selling off every veteran productive player might be a tank job, but trading your ace (one player on a 25 man roster) isn't tantamount to throwing in the towel.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:25 am 

It depends on luck & Ryan Dempster.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:25 am 

veganfan21 wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

They've been trying to be competitive for a while, haven't they? For whatever reason their approach hasn't worked, save for one year. Selling off every veteran productive player might be a tank job, but trading your ace (one player on a 25 man roster) isn't tantamount to throwing in the towel.

They traded their ace and their best position player, and are trying to move anyone else of value. Are you serious? Maybe I should bring this over to Ugie's thread. :lol:

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:26 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
they have never really attempted to be competitive. this is the problem with your thought process.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:30 am 

I believe they will attempt to be competitive in 2018. A one year rebuild isn't that big of a deal.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:30 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
veganfan21 wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Well, trading one of the best pitchers in all of baseball doesn't scream "we want to compete next year."

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:32 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I believe they will attempt to be competitive in 2018. A one year rebuild isn't that big of a deal.

You're wrong. There is absolutely nothing so far over the past week suggesting they want to be competitive in 2018.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:33 am 

Sure, they're going to trade all these young guys they got for aging vets so they can compete in 2018.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:34 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Management has attempted every year since 2001. They just fail at actually being competitive.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:35 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
The Sox won't make the playoffs til 2022, 7 months after Reinsdorph dies. They won't win a world series for decades.

FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

You're wrong. There is absolutely nothing so far over the past week suggesting they want to be competitive in 2018.
I predict at least 3 of the people they have traded for or will trade for will be on the MLB team in 2018. They may have to force some of them to "work on throwing to first base" for the first 8 games or so but they will be there.

Hatchetman wrote:
they have never really attempted to be competitive. this is the problem with your thought process.

This is clearly wrong. You seem to be confusing "tried and failed" with "never tried"

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:36 am 

Kirkwood wrote:
Management has attempted every year since 2001. They just fail at actually being competitive.
Not always!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:36 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

I predict at least 3 of the people they have traded for or will trade for will be on the MLB team in 2018. They may have to force some of them to "work on throwing to first base" for the first 8 games or so but they will be there.

So? That doesn't address the post you quoted that I disagreed with you on.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:38 am 

FavreFan wrote:
Yes it does.

If you just want to whine and complain go ahead but at least put some actual content behind it.

When these guys show up on the MLB roster in good numbers they are attempting to be competitive.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:42 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Yes it does.

If you just want to whine and complain go ahead but at least put some actual content behind it.

When these guys show up on the MLB roster in good numbers they are attempting to be competitive.

You have three guys that you mentioned, none of who have shown anything at the MLB level whatsoever, as the basis for your case. The rest of the roster looks like absolutely AAA quality outside of Quintana and Abreu, both of whom are likely to be gone by April of 2018. Hahn himself has said in the past 2 days that 4-5 years sounds like a proper rebuild.

Please provide me with your content that says the Sox will be competitive in 2018. This is a argument even you can't win.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:44 am 

FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

5 of the 7 players they acquired have an ETA of 2018 or before

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:45 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
They'll begin sniffing playoff contention in 2020. I think the pitching could be good as soon as 2018. But it'll take time to identify 9 guys to fill the lineup.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:46 am 

good dolphin wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

5 of the 7 players they acquired have an ETA of 2018 or before

So?

Your post isn't a rebuttal to mine. If you wanted it to be, please elaborate so I can respond to something.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:47 am 

FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Yes it does.

You have three guys that you mentioned, none of who have shown anything at the MLB level whatsoever, as the basis for your case. The rest of the roster looks like absolutely AAA quality outside of Quintana and Abreu, both of whom are likely to be gone by April of 2018. Hahn himself has said in the past 2 days that 4-5 years sounds like a proper rebuild.

Please provide me with your content that says the Sox will be competitive in 2018. This is a argument even you can't win.
I did. In 2018, they will start bringing these guys up rather than stashing them in the minors like most of the tanking teams do. They also will be somewhat active in a free agent market that I believe is supposed to be really good. There will be at least 5 players from these trades(obviously, assuming more is done for Quintana and Abreu) by 2019.

Now give me your definition of attempting to be competitive.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:47 am 

the sox try to be competitive like I try to be a world class marathoner. "I tried but the results just weren't what I was hoping for."

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:48 am 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
2020 seems like (a) a pretty good +/- point for them being competitive, and (b) an outdated television show.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:49 am 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
I think the Sox are going to attempt what the Cubs would not...fill in with free agents and try to be competitive WHILE they rebuild. I could see them TRYING to contend by 2018, for sure. They will spend. The Cubs would not.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:50 am 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
FavreFan wrote:
They traded their ace and their best position player, and are trying to move anyone else of value. Are you serious? Maybe I should bring this over to Ugie's thread. :lol:

leashyourkids wrote:

Well, trading one of the best pitchers in all of baseball doesn't scream "we want to compete next year."

I think we're talking about a few different things: competitiveness vs tanking

I read board reaction to the Sale trade as "the Sox are tanking." If the Sox continue to dump more veteran talent after Sale and Eaton for prospects, sure, this may be clear evidence of tanking. But it's going to have to be more than just two players to say they're tanking.

To LYK's point, sure, trading Sale doesn't scream we want to compete next year, but I don't think they would have "competed" next year even with Sale. This was a 78-84 team with Sale, 11 games behind the WC leader and 16 games behind first place in the central, and unless they continue to deplete the major league roster through trades, I'm not sure if the drop off between 78-84 and whatever they're going to be next year is doing to be that steep. So I guess I'm not even sure if they were competitive to begin with.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:51 am 

The last big free agent splash the sox made was 20 years ago! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:52 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Yes it does.

I did. In 2018, they will start bringing these guys up rather than stashing them in the minors like most of the tanking teams do. They also will be somewhat active in a free agent market that I believe is supposed to be really good. There will be at least 5 players from these trades(obviously, assuming more is done for Quintana and Abreu) by 2019.

Now give me your definition of attempting to be competitive.

Attempting to be competitive = trying to fill out as many holes in your roster as possible. It does not mean bringing up 5 guys in their first or maybe 2nd year of MLB and having nothing else.

Let's be clear. Are you disagreeing with Rick Hahn and saying that the team already is three years ahead of schedule?

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:54 am 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
sjboyd0137 wrote:

Next question.

What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:55 am 

Hatchetman wrote:
The last big free agent splash the sox made was 20 years ago! :lol:

Did you not see Rick's post? They will make a dozen big signings next summer and be geared up to go in 2018!

To rock my soul