It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 3:58 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 818 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 28  Next
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:42 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Answer my question, Keyser.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:16 am 

Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
Keyser Soze wrote:
They could trade them if the ate some of the terrible money they handed out but they're not willing to do that because they're not really committed to a rebuild.

I don't know about that. Chris Carter and Mike Napoli (both players very similar offensively to Jose Abreu) signed one-year deals for peanuts, because there was no interest in them. Todd Frazier's offensive abilities are similar to those of Mark Trumbo, and he got less than $40 million for a 3-year deal, and Frazier can barely play a "meh" 3B, not corner OF. Who wouldn't sign players for peanuts rather than give up a middle of the road, or better, prospect?

3b is higher on the defensive heirarchy than corner outfielder

Last year abreu was compared to Rizzo and today he is compared to carter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:29 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
good dolphin wrote:
Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
Keyser Soze wrote:
They could trade them if the ate some of the terrible money they handed out but they're not willing to do that because they're not really committed to a rebuild.

I don't know about that. Chris Carter and Mike Napoli (both players very similar offensively to Jose Abreu) signed one-year deals for peanuts, because there was no interest in them. Todd Frazier's offensive abilities are similar to those of Mark Trumbo, and he got less than $40 million for a 3-year deal, and Frazier can barely play a "meh" 3B, not corner OF. Who wouldn't sign players for peanuts rather than give up a middle of the road, or better, prospect?

3b is higher on the defensive heirarchy than corner outfielder

My point is that Frazier gives you a "push" defensively at a position that averaged a .330+ wOBA in the MLB last year whereas he averaged .326. If he were a LF or even a RF, he'd be average to above-average offensively, but at his current position he gives you bad defense (-2 DRS, -3.6 UZR/150) and below-average offense.

Quote:
Last year abreu was compared to Rizzo and today he is compared to carter

His wOBA, wRC+ and WAR have all been declining every year since he came into the league. And last year Abreu and Carter had virtually identical wOBA numbers, though I'll grant you that Abreu's distribution of OBP/SLG err's more to the side of Mike Napoli. I don't know who was making those comparisons to Rizzo, but only Abreu's 2014 campaign resembles anything Rizzo has put up in the last 3 seasons, so I don't know how astute of a comparison that was.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:22 pm 

It used to infuriate me when kw would sell low and buy high. It always seemed like he would throw in one player too many in his trades or take on too much contract. I like that Hahn set his price and lets the market come to him

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:00 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
good dolphin wrote:
It used to infuriate me when kw would sell low and buy high. It always seemed like he would throw in one player too many in his trades or take on too much contract. I like that Hahn set his price and lets the market come to him

You mean like when he gave away Swisher and Vazquez for nothing.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:03 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
Caller to Mully and Hanley today said he has a source who works for the Sox. His "guy" told him when this all started, Reinsdorf told Kenny/Hahn they could trade Sale or Quintana but not both.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:58 pm 

Peoria Matt wrote:
Caller to Mully and Hanley today said he has a source who works for the Sox. His "guy" told him when this all started, Reinsdorf told Kenny/Hahn they could trade Sale or Quintana but not both.

That's almost too Reinsdorfian to be taken seriously...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:03 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Did the caller identify himself as Keyser Soze?

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:37 am 

Peoria Matt wrote:

Kenny/Hahn....Can we just start calling them: Kahnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:24 am 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
Word is the Yankees/Pirates/Sox three team deal fell apart because Pittsburgh ownership didn't want to absorb Quintana's contract. Cant even fault Huntington there.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:08 am 

America wrote:
Word is the Yankees/Pirates/Sox three team deal fell apart because Pittsburgh ownership didn't want to absorb Quintana's contract. Cant even fault Huntington there.

If that were true, Pirates fans should be in full revolt. Absorbing doesn't really do justice to the situation. They will literally be giving a journeyman starter that money at some point or every point over the next four years. Weird group

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:11 am 
1000 CLUB

America wrote:

Quintana's contract is team friendly though, particularly to a team like Pittsburgh. I believe he still has 4 years and around 40 million remaining on his deal, which, if accurate, would be shocking if a smaller market team like Pittsburgh couldn't take on given the bargain and cost certainty.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:20 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Quintana and his contract would have been the perfect solution for how the Pirates operate.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:24 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
If the Pirates story is true then MLB finances are seriously screwed up. They can't even take on what's perceived as a middling contract.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:39 am 

May as well just delete this thread. I'm starting to believe the rumor that Jerry said they could trade Sale or Quintana...but not both.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:52 am 

walkrman5 wrote:
May as well just delete this thread. I'm starting to believe the rumor that Jerry said they could trade Sale or Quintana...but not both.

All Hahn is saying is, they are listening. Which with the 2 trades, makes us think they are looking for the best possible deal. I do not believe in any way shape or form, they are in rebuild mode. They got mid of the 2 anti-Kenny guys. This all is just to keep us interested and buying tickets.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:21 pm 
1000 CLUB

WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
If the Pirates story is true then MLB finances are seriously screwed up. They can't even take on what's perceived as a middling contract.

That is why I don't think it's true. It would be one thing if Quintana's contract was going to be up within a year or two since he'd receive a contract probably past $20M on the open market. It's completely different knowing that he offers cost certainty being on a such a team friendly deal.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:22 pm 
1000 CLUB

WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:

That is why I don't think it's true. It would be one thing if Quintana's contract was going to be up within a year or two since he'd receive a contract probably past $20M on the open market. It's completely different knowing that he offers cost certainty being on a such a team friendly deal.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:24 pm 
1000 CLUB

Cashman wrote:
walkrman5 wrote:

All Hahn is saying is, they are listening. Which with the 2 trades, makes us think they are looking for the best possible deal. I do not believe in any way shape or form, they are in rebuild mode. They got mid of the 2 anti-Kenny guys. This all is just to keep us interested and buying tickets.

I don't think the White Sox are in a rush to make a trade unless they get exactly what they want. For Quintana, they should receive a premium package; Obviously, there's risk if he were get injured or under-perform.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:26 pm 

Well its $40m the Pirates apparently think they dont have. Even if I offer you a "steal" on a new Mercedes at $50,000 if you cant afford the car you cant buy it no matter how good the deal is. That's what the Pirates thinking was I'm nearly sure of it. Pretty fucking dumb that their owner is so cheap.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Reyes out for the year for the Cardinals with TJS.

Hahn should be able to force the bidding now between St. Louis and Houston. I still think he goes to Houston, but this will force Houston's hand enough to get a deal done before Quintana's first scheduled ST start.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou's, Pequod's
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:

Hahn should be able to force the bidding now between St. Louis and Houston. I still think he goes to Houston, but this will force Houston's hand enough to get a deal done before Quintana's first scheduled ST start.

Yeah, except at this point the Cardinals don't have anything that would even move the needle on any of the other offers. Reyes would have had to be in the package.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:25 pm 

Can I interest you in James Shields?? Please.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:32 pm 

Keyser Soze wrote:
Can I interest you in James Shields?? Please.

Gonzalez would be perfect for them.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou's, Pequod's
Cards still have Wacha, Weaver, possible Marco Gonzales that might be a serviceable 5th starter type. They aren't going to trade for anything like Shields. I'm not sure they have the ammo, but if they are trading for a starter it's more likely to target a solid mid-rotation type (spitballing here, Odorizzi/McCarthy.. maybe even a Sonny Gray if his perceived stock has fallen that far)

ps. Oh and Rosenthal might develop into a starter... I can't see it, but you never know)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:08 pm 

Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:

I don't think the Cardinals have the horses to get into a bidding war with the Astros, and both the Sox and 'Stros know it. Their top prospects after Reyes fall off considerably, and they're not trading Aledmys Diaz.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Quonset
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2017/02/15/ ... -swirling/

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:21 pm 

Its going to fuck him up mentally and wreck his performance (and trade value). I can almost taste the 7.86 ERA in April.

I get that Pittsburgh is a quasi-MLB operation with how cheap it is. I get that Luhnow is piece of shit. I get that "the market the Sox wanted for him" isn't there, but the Sox aren't just awarded the market they want for a player. Quintana is worth whatever someone else is willing to pay. Now the Sox are assuming a ton of risk that Quintana loses effectiveness or gets injured while also hurting their 2018 draft position.

I know Pittsburgh owernships sucks to deal with but goddamn cant Jerry just throw in a few bucks if it'll grease the deal? And what's this about Robertson not going to the Nationals for Kieboom and Fedde (just a rumor) because the Sox wont kick in money. I dont fucking understand this org, I really dont.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:29 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Peoria Matt wrote:

Defalco said that a week ago, he's a Sox guy and fairly plugged in..I'm not saying I don't believe it, I think Jerry could be talked into moving him though IMO.. Defalco also said in an interview than Bennitendi was told that the Red Sox would let him know in 2 minutes if he was getting moved to Chicago.. So it sounds like Boston was willing to move him and Hahn blew it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:20 pm 

If it was a 4 player deal with the likes of Luis Basabe and Victor Diaz carrying actual value it should've been Benintendi and Moncada. If Moncada hits his ceiling nobody will care but the Sox got like 60% of the value they should've for Sale.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 818 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 28  Next