It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 818 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 28  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:28 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
312player wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
312player wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
312player wrote:
Really want to see the Cubs move on Quintana, I don't want Robertson or any other slugs, just Q for Zastryzny, Caratini and De LA Cruz.
No.

Baez, Contreras, and Jimenez.
I'm not sure I could give that up for Sale, no chance for Q.
Even baseball executive IMU laughs at that.

You think Boston gave up more?

Yeah. If it was just Moncada, it's probably more. Plus they got Kopech. You think the Cubs can get quality back by giving up 25 year old guys with minor league ERAs of around 5? It ain't happening.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:17 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
312player wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
312player wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
312player wrote:
Really want to see the Cubs move on Quintana, I don't want Robertson or any other slugs, just Q for Zastryzny, Caratini and De LA Cruz.
No.

Yeah. If it was just Moncada, it's probably more. Plus they got Kopech. You think the Cubs can get quality back by giving up 25 year old guys with minor league ERAs of around 5? It ain't happening.

But didn't you know that Baez is a SUPER sub?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:04 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
312player wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
312player wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
312player wrote:
No.

Getting a bit convoluted in here, Do you believe Boston gave up MORE than Baez, Jimenez and Contreras for Sale?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:08 pm 
Site Admin

312player wrote:
Getting a bit convoluted in here, Do you believe Boston gave up MORE than Baez, Jimenez and Contreras for Sale?

:lol: I don't see what's convoluted.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:11 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
312player wrote:

Just making sure were on the same page, the question stands.

I'm 99% sure you would have taken 2 proven guys who just won a WS and a 20 year old outfielder over the Boston package... Just checking if you have done a 180 on me...please answer yes or no.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:17 pm 

312 why would the WS make the trade your proposing? You think thats the best they can get for Quintana? Really?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
Guys like Moncada never get traded. The Sale deal wound up being a player short from what I would've liked, sure, but I'd much rather take a four player return headlined by Moncada than a three player deal headlined by Contreras (by far the best player of the three you listed). Baez and Jimenez are nice but they dont bridge the gap between Moncada and Contreras plus Kopech, Basabe and Diaz.

Baez has to be the most overvalued player in baseball right now. Pop quiz: Who had a higher OPS in 2016, Javier Baez or Tyler Saladino?

Its Javier Baez, but only .737 to .725 which is pretty damn close. Now Baez is an exciting player to watch as a fan and he's a great defender at 2nd but still, the hype on him has gotten out of control because of a handful of postseason AB's.

Basabe isn't Eloy Jimenez offensively, but he's the same age at the same level and he's held his own. Plus he's a switch-hitter and has a CF profile defensively. Jimenez is a righty who is already destined for the corners.

So yea, give me Boston's deal even if Willson Contreras is a very tempting player.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:21 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
312 why would the WS make the trade your proposing? You think thats the best they can get for Quintana? Really?

Cmon....2 guys who stepped up HUGE in the postseason and are under 25 that got the job done is irrelevant?

Jorr would BBQ you a year or two ago for even questioning that a prospect could accomplish such things.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:24 pm 

312player wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Cmon....2 guys who stepped up HUGE in the postseason and are under 25 that got the job done is irrelevant?

Jorr would BBQ you a year or two ago for even questioning that a prospect could accomplish such things.

Im talking about
Zastryzny, Caratini and De LA Cruz.

Was that a joke?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:30 pm 

rogers park bryan wrote:
312player wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Im talking about

Was that a joke?

Sort of a joke, yes. But Jorr's counter was absurd IMO.

Moncado could very well be the next Josh Bitters or Matt Bush or Gordon Beckham.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:33 pm 

312player wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
312player wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Im talking about

Was that a joke?

Moncado could very well be the next Josh Bitters or Matt Bush or Gordon Beckham.

He was in 12 Angry Men (adult version )

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:39 pm 

312player wrote:

Baez had a .693 OPS with a 30% strikeout rate in the postseason. You think him being able to tag out baserunners really well makes his postseason performance "HUGE"? Contreras was a little better I guess with a .710 OPS and if he calms down you can see him becoming a damn fine defensive backstop.

Neither of these guys had the types of postseasons that would make me want to trade Chris Sale for them and the Sox got a promising 20 year old outfielder already from Boston. Now quit being a genius and making me look up these fucking postseason statistics because going back to find them without stepping on some blog post about some Cubs fan who watched game 7 on his phone at the graveyard next to his great-grandpa's headstone is like trying to walk across a dairy farm in Bosnia without getting your leg blown off.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:42 pm 

America wrote:
312player wrote:

Baez had a .693 OPS with a 30% strikeout rate in the postseason. You think him being able to tag out baserunners really well makes his postseason performance "HUGE"? Contreras was a little better I guess with a .710 OPS and if he calms down you can see him becoming a damn fine defensive backstop.

Neither of these guys had the types of postseasons that would make me want to trade Chris Sale for them and the Sox got a promising 20 year old outfielder already from Boston. Now quit being a genius and making me look up these fucking postseason statistics because going back to find them without stepping on some blog post about some Cubs fan who watched game 7 on his phone at the graveyard next to his great-grandpa's headstone is like trying to walk across a dairy farm in Bosnia without getting your leg blown off.

Baez and Contreras start 150 games a year for 99% of the mlb teams right now, don't be ridiculous... Leave that nonsense in the other thread please.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:44 pm 

Here's an insider tip about the 2017 White Sox: they're gonna be horrible and I'm not sure they are looking to pick up a pair of guys to contribute to what will surely be a sorry effort.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:44 pm 

America wrote:
312player wrote:

Baez homered in Game 7.

Legend

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:48 pm 

Also I'm gonna dispute the "Baez and Contreras start for 99% of teams" figure.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:58 pm 
Site Admin

312player wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
312player wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:

Im talking about

Was that a joke?

Not likely. If you're someone who believes in "can't miss" prospects, Moncada is one.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:59 pm 
Site Admin

America wrote:

:lol: Neither one has played 150 games for anyone.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:02 pm 
Site Admin

312player wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
312player wrote:

Just making sure were on the same page, the question stands.

I'm 99% sure you would have taken 2 proven guys who just won a WS and a 20 year old outfielder over the Boston package... Just checking if you have done a 180 on me...please answer yes or no.

I don't consider either of those Cubs "proven".

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:05 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
rogers park bryan wrote:
Baez homered in Game 7.

Legend
Agreed. Right up there with Geoff Blum.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:08 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
I would take the deal JORR offered in a heartbeat.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:10 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
America wrote:

:lol: Neither one has played 150 games for anyone.

Unfortunately for Baez and Contreras, they fall into that 1%.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:16 pm 

Nas wrote:

Heartbeat? Just win a WS and the bats are only getting better, you want 3 years of Sale for 10-12 years of SS-2b-3b gold glove and good stick with a phenomenal Catcher? And a somewhat unknown Outfielder in Jimenez that's 20?

Sale is an Ace for 3 years and he's gone in 2020, I'd be stunned if he tosses 650 innings by then.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:22 pm 
100000 CLUB

312player wrote:
Nas wrote:

Heartbeat? Just win a WS and the bats are only getting better, you want 3 years of Sale for 10-12 years of SS-2b-3b gold glove and good stick with a phenomenal Catcher? And a somewhat unknown Outfielder in Jimenez that's 20?

Sale is an Ace for 3 years and he's gone in 2020, I'd be stunned if he tosses 650 innings by then.

I would take the Cubs prospects.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:28 pm 
Site Admin

312player wrote:
Nas wrote:

I wouldn't have taken those guys for Sale. I would for Quintana.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:17 pm 

Oh, boy we have a live one here

I guess it was the man who was keeping contrearas down all these years

Now I am still fully believe that prospects are suspects but I'd rather have the hope that the sox traded sale for greatness than know they traded for average with that cub package

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:54 pm 

If Moncada can figure out his contact issues the Sox will have themselves an MVP level player and one of the top 3 to 5 players in the game. Big "if'' with the contact issues of course, but that's basically what the whole rebuild hinges on. I am pretty confident they will carve the best rotation the Sox have had in twelve years out of the arms they currently have, just a matter of putting together a few position players around it. Finding a superstar this franchise has lacked since Hurt would be the ticket.

Its nerve wracking really because you basically look at that guy, Yoan Moncada, for the next ~18 months knowing that the fate of the White Sox franchise for the next ten years (and possibly its long term ability to stay in Chicago) rests on his shoulders. Its a gamble they needed to make but that doesn't make it any more comfortable.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
Sox have a high draft pick this year and possibly the #1 pick next year. One or both of those picks could be MVP caliber field players. The rebuild does not hinge on Moncada, just the trade of Sale.

It would seem the Sox have obtained quite a few top arms through the trades, they need to draft a bat. Not the strong suit of management.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:14 pm 

Big Chicagoan wrote:
Sox have a high draft pick this year and possibly the #1 pick next year. One or both of those picks could be MVP caliber field players. The rebuild does not hinge on Moncada, just the trade of Sale.

It would seem the Sox have obtained quite a few top arms through the trades, they need to draft a bat. Not the strong suit of management.

Depending on what the Quintana return looks like I wouldn't doubt them drafting a college pitcher this year at #12. If they really do pick #1 overall in 2018 that's definitely a place they should be hoping to find a star position player (hopefully to pair with an emergent Yoan Moncada), but I dont want to count on something 18 months from now like that.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:14 pm 
100000 CLUB

Big Chicagoan wrote:

I would have preferred the Sox get all bats because they've done a pretty good job overthe years finding and developing arms.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 818 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 28  Next