It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 818 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 28  Next
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:40 am 

Quote:
As the Yankees and White Sox continue to explore trade arrangements involving highly valued southpaw Jose Quintana, the organizations have now also “expanded” their discussions to include Chicago closer David Robertson, according to Bob Nightengale of USA Today (via Twitter). The Sox would keep part of the remaining $25MM left on Robertson’s contract in any agreement.

We’ve heard varying suggestions recently as to just how serious New York’s interest in Quintana really is. Certainly, there’s a need on paper for the Yanks, who might at least be somewhat more willing to part with some of their newly acquired farm depth to add a youthful, affordable, controllable starter such as Quintana.

The insertion of Robertson into the mix adds some intrigue, though it still isn’t apparent how likely the sides are to line up on a deal. It’s possible to imagine the 31-year-old righty making a return to New York, where he spent seven strong years, to form another three-headed bullpen monster with Aroldis Chapman and Dellin Betances. But wrapping Robertson into a deal could also set up a variety of other alternatives for the Yanks, who could conceivably go on to flip Robertson or even move Betances to offset the presumably lofty cost it would take to pry Quintana loose.

From the White Sox’ perspective, there’s still no urgent need to deal their best remaining rotation piece, or even to part ways with Robertson except to help facilitate an appealing return of talent. But after already sending out ace Chris Sale, along with quality outfielder Adam Eaton, there’s certainly an argument to be made that the organization ought to make every effort to cash in Quintana this winter rather than rolling the dice on his continued health and effectiveness.

If there’s something of a game of chicken ongoing between the South Siders and the Bronx Bombers, there are also plenty of other forces at play. The Pirates have reportedly pushed hard to land Quintana, and a pair of AL West rivals are still competitive, too. We heard recently that the Rangers have interest, and the Astros have already kicked around some potential packages for the 27-year-old lefty.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:54 am 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
Torres, Rutherford and a couple arms for Quintana and Robertson. Fine by me.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:54 pm 

Braves may be getting involved in this mess.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:07 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Really want to see the Cubs move on Quintana, I don't want Robertson or any other slugs, just Q for Zastryzny, Caratini and De LA Cruz.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:16 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
America wrote:

Why?

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:19 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
312player wrote:
Really want to see the Cubs move on Quintana, I don't want Robertson or any other slugs, just Q for Zastryzny, Caratini and De LA Cruz.

No.

Baez, Contreras, and Jimenez.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:31 pm 

Nas wrote:
America wrote:

Why?

Well to start they aren't as bad as you think they are. The only real hole they have in their lineup is 3b (can I interest you in a Todd Frazier, perhaps?) and if Foltynewicz, who they love, takes the next step he could pair with Quintana and Teheran to form a pretty impressive 1-2-3. You look at the rotation the Phillies are building around Velasquez, Eickoff and Nola I dont think Atlanta wants to find itself playing catchup. Also, its the NL east. The Nationals constantly underperform and the Mets are never healthy, Braves get a few breaks and there is not much standing between them and 90 wins.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:29 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
312player wrote:

No.

Not a chance. Contreras is slated to be the everyday (or at least the regular) Catcher and Baez may well be an All-Star in 2017, whether it be as the regular 2nd baseman or a Super utility guy, as he was in 2016. The Cubs don't need to make such a move. They won it all in 2016 with the main guys all returning for 2017, there is no need to go weakening the everyday lineup, just to get a pitcher that would have been their #4 at best.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:04 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Elmhurst Steve wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
312player wrote:

No.

Not a chance. Contreras is slated to be the everyday (or at least the regular) Catcher and Baez may well be an All-Star in 2017, whether it be as the regular 2nd baseman or a Super utility guy, as he was in 2016. The Cubs don't need to make such a move. They won it all in 2016 with the main guys all returning for 2017, there is no need to go weakening the everyday lineup, just to get a pitcher that would have been their #4 at best.

No worries. The Sox certainly aren't going to trade him to the Cubs for junk Cubs fans don't want.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:36 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
IMO, the Sox are not going to make any more big trades. I think their goal was to mask the anti-management guys being traded as a "rebuild".

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:01 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Elmhurst Steve wrote:
The Cubs don't need to make such a move. They won it all in 2016 with the main guys all returning for 2017, there is no need to go weakening the everyday lineup, just to get a pitcher that would have been their #4 at best.

What do you care? Winning it all wasn't even a big deal to you, so what does it matter if the Cubs are better or worse in 2017?

You are a terrible fan. You are even worse than the floppy hat wearing bros that pack the bleachers.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:04 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Cashman wrote:
IMO, the Sox are not going to make any more big trades. I think their goal was to mask the anti-management guys being traded as a "rebuild".

Maybe. Maybe not.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:04 am 

Cashman wrote:

I would be disappointed if this were true but there have been enough reports about Quintana for specific players not to realize he is being shopped.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:56 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Elmhurst Steve wrote:
The Cubs don't need to make such a move. They won it all in 2016 with the main guys all returning for 2017, there is no need to go weakening the everyday lineup, just to get a pitcher that would have been their #4 at best.

What do you care? Winning it all wasn't even a big deal to you, so what does it matter if the Cubs are better or worse in 2017?

You are a terrible fan. You are even worse than the floppy hat wearing bros that pack the bleachers.

I care. It's just not life altering. Whether the Cubs win another World Series again in 2017, or win their division after another 100 win season, I will enjoy the baseball season. I will enjoy it more though if they repeat. It just isn't crucial. Health, family, friendships and business are important. Baseball is a very enjoyable form of entertainment. To elevate it to a level of importance greater than it should be at, would be silly. I will be interested in many things the coming season will have to offer. Watching Schwarber hopefully playing a full season and the numbers he puts up. Baez....will be be the regular 2nd baseman or a super utility guy? Almora....will he take over as the regular CF and win the gold glove as a rookie? Jimenez.....will he make it up to the majors in 2017

I go to many more games than you or most fans. I cheer very enthusiastically. I know the players on not only the Cubs team, but on the other teams, as well as the team history. So I consider myself a good and knowledgeable fan. Whether or not you think I am a bad fan because I do not place the utmost importance upon my team winning a championship each year is unimportant. if you do, you must be miserable and will be remaining so for the next few years at the very least.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:57 pm 

Elmhurst Steve wrote:
I go to many more games than you or most fans. I cheer very enthusiastically. I know the players on not only the Cubs team, but on the other teams, as well as the team history. So I consider myself a good and knowledgeable fan. Whether or not you think I am a bad fan because I do not place the utmost importance upon my team winning a championship each year is unimportant. if you do, you must be miserable and will be remaining so for the next few years at the very least.
This is a bigger lie than you doing Spartan races.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:59 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Elmhurst Steve wrote:

Neither is a lie at all. I probably go to more Cubs road games in a season than you go to games, anywhere.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:01 pm 

Elmhurst Steve wrote:
Neither is a lie at all. I probably go to more Cubs road games in a season than you go to games, anywhere.
"probably". Already backtracking.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:03 pm 

Cashman wrote:

The anti-management guys were probably deemed a bigger priority to deal before spring training. I doubt they are done. Frazier, Quintana and Robertson will all be dealt. Probably Melky and perhaps Abreau as well. But guys like Quintana might bring more during the season, when a contender has an injury to a starter and deals from a position of weakness.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:27 pm 
100000 CLUB

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Elmhurst Steve wrote:
He should just change his moniker to "Bad Fan Steve" and be done with it. He is a liar, a terrible fan, and a terrible person.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:45 pm 

Elmhurst Steve wrote:
Cashman wrote:

The anti-management guys were probably deemed a bigger priority to deal before spring training. I doubt they are done. Frazier, Quintana and Robertson will all be dealt. Probably Melky and perhaps Abreau as well. But guys like Quintana might bring more during the season, when a contender has an injury to a starter and deals from a position of weakness.

I don't think they were a priority. The Eaton move was lightning quick because they recognized the quality of the offer. Sale was traded first because he is the talent that defined the market. I'm sure they would have been happy to trade Quintana for a package including Moncada but the Red Sox would not. Now that the market is set with Sale being worth the #1 prospect in baseball, they are justified for asking for something comparable but a little less than that for Quintana.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:45 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
312player wrote:

No.

I'm not sure I could give that up for Sale, no chance for Q.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:19 am 
100000 CLUB

312player wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
312player wrote:
No.

Even baseball executive IMU laughs at that.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:00 am 

Levine came out today saying that teams were raising their bids for Quintana. Comes on the heels of last weeks Braves rumors. Only a week until Soxfest, I think this will be wrapped up by then.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:44 am 

America wrote:
Levine came out today saying that teams were raising their bids for Quintana. Comes on the heels of last weeks Braves rumors. Only a week until Soxfest, I think this will be wrapped up by then.

Any idea what was offered before, and what seems to be included now?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:39 am 

All we know for sure is the rejected Astros package of Tucker/Martes/Musgrove, and that was from Gammons. The rumor around Atlanta is that it starts with Albies + Newcomb and that the Mallex Smith trade was a precursor to Quintana.

My opinion is that Frazier may be involved an his arbitration settlement was holding things up with the Braves.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:43 am 

given the buyers market for power hitters, I have adjusted my opinion on selling each part individually and would be OK with including Frazier in a move if it gets them a difference making prospect

Are these Atlanta guys any good? It sounded like the Pirate prospects were a best case scenario but Pittsburgh management is afraid of success.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:44 am 

America wrote:
All we know for sure is the rejected Astros package of Tucker/Martes/Musgrove, and that was from Gammons. The rumor around Atlanta is that it starts with Albies + Newcomb and that the Mallex Smith trade was a precursor to Quintana.

My opinion is that Frazier may be involved an his arbitration settlement was holding things up with the Braves.

Can you break down these prospects with an A-F rating?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:47 am 

good dolphin wrote:
given the buyers market for power hitters, I have adjusted my opinion on selling each part individually and would be OK with including Frazier in a move if it gets them a difference making prospect

Are these Atlanta guys any good? It sounded like the Pirate prospects were a best case scenario but Pittsburgh management is afraid of success.

Aside from Meadows the Braves have a much better crop and they seem to lack that gunshy attitude that exists with Huntington in Pittsburgh.

Albies + Acuna is a pair of position players that would be tough for even the Yankees to beat without including Torres. Albies just turned 20 and is already knocking on the MLB door.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:52 am 

Cashman wrote:
America wrote:

Can you break down these prospects with an A-F rating?

That's something Keyser would be better at. I'm not a scout, I mean I can tell you Yoan Moncada looks better swinging the bat than Courtney Hawkins but anyone can do that.

But just judging by what the value of these guys hangs out around Albies is a consensus A and Newcomb is a B+. Acuna a B+ as well, but Acuna has a Robles-like MVP ceiling.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:20 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
312player wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
312player wrote:
No.

Even baseball executive IMU laughs at that.

You think Boston gave up more?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 818 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 28  Next