It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 818 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:00 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
good dolphin wrote:
Reading different boards about this topic reveals that the world is populated by know it alls who know nothing. People wright in definitive terms when they have absolutely no superior knowledge of the work being done than a guy on the street. It seems like baseball fans have become the most insufferable fan base out there with their need to appear to be more informed than everyone else.

I don't think there is a fanbase in close second in regards to your last sentence.

How many basketball writers have released a book with a subtitle similar to "The Story behind the Old Stats That Are Ruining the Game, the New Ones That Are Running It, and the Right Way to Think about Basketball"

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:08 am 

pizza_Place: Tata's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
I'd have to actually put a little time in to answer that accurately but off the top of my head Gray, Cueto, Yu, and Verlander.

Gray and Verlander aren't really having better seasons than Quintana and Verlander's salary is ridiculous. I don't think the other two guys are necessarily available.[

Cueto is doing the worst of that group. Based on this seasons numbers, years of control, and age, how are any of these guys more valuable?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:15 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Pal wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
I'd have to actually put a little time in to answer that accurately but off the top of my head Gray, Cueto, Yu, and Verlander.

Gray and Verlander aren't really having better seasons than Quintana and Verlander's salary is ridiculous. I don't think the other two guys are necessarily available.[

Cueto is doing the worst of that group. Based on this seasons numbers, years of control, and age, how are any of these guys more valuable?

Is it really about the better season? I think the short term is, who is going to show up for the playoffs. The long term is, how much longer are they signed for?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:19 am 

TurdFerguson wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
TurdFerguson wrote:
I'm just a cub fan so flame away, but it's nothing but homerism to say his value hasn't peaked considering he had used up 1/6 of his team friendly contract on a bad season. The only way his value appreciates while consuming his cheap season would be if he has pitching lights out.

Don't get me wrong, he is still incredible valuable, but he has lost value since the off season.

His value goes up for teams wanting to go all in on winning the world series this year. See the Cubs and Indians of last year.

I just can't agree considering a relatively bad season for him. If he was putting up a .500 record with great supporting stats like he has in previous years, I could see him being an all in guy. Right now you are buying an inning eater number 3. Last year you could talk a gm into him being 1B starter.
None of that really matters when you are going all in to win the World Series and he is your best option to shore up a pitching spot. He's had a few bad games but a team is trading for him with the idea that he will be on average what he has been in his recent seasons. If you are a team that feels they are a second or third starter away from winning it all then you go for it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:21 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
TurdFerguson wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
TurdFerguson wrote:
I'm just a cub fan so flame away, but it's nothing but homerism to say his value hasn't peaked considering he had used up 1/6 of his team friendly contract on a bad season. The only way his value appreciates while consuming his cheap season would be if he has pitching lights out.

Don't get me wrong, he is still incredible valuable, but he has lost value since the off season.

His value goes up for teams wanting to go all in on winning the world series this year. See the Cubs and Indians of last year.

I just can't agree considering a relatively bad season for him. If he was putting up a .500 record with great supporting stats like he has in previous years, I could see him being an all in guy. Right now you are buying an inning eater number 3. Last year you could talk a gm into him being 1B starter.
None of that really matters when you are going all in to win the World Series and he is your best option to shore up a pitching spot. He's had a few bad games but a team is trading for him with the idea that he will be on average what he has been in his recent seasons. If you are a team that feels they are a second or third starter away from winning it all then you go for it.

If you are that close then you better be targeting Yu and Verlander before Quintana.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:29 am 

FavreFan wrote:
If you are that close then you better be targeting Yu and Verlander before Quintana.
If they are truly available at a price that a team can afford then sure.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:30 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

A team can afford all of these prices. Cmon. Nobody is giving up their farm system for any of these guys. Teams like the Brewers might be priced out of the Verlander market but many contenders wouldn't be.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:39 am 

FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

A team can afford all of these prices. Cmon. Nobody is giving up their farm system for any of these guys. Teams like the Brewers might be priced out of the Verlander market but many contenders wouldn't be.
In that case it sounds like a good market to be selling a guy like Quintana since so many are able and willing to spend so much to get quality pitching.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:41 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

In that case it sounds like a good market to be selling a guy like Quintana since so many are able and willing to spend so much to get quality pitching.

The problem is Quintana isn't very good.

If the best free agent available this summer in the NBA is Austin Rivers would you give him a max contract if you needed help in your backcourt?

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:43 am 

FavreFan wrote:

If the best free agent available this summer in the NBA is Austin Rivers would you give him a max contract if you needed help in your backcourt?

Any team that thinks he isn't any good wouldn't have thought otherwise in the offseason.

There are going to be many teams who start a pitcher worse than Quintana multiple times in the playoffs.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:47 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
FavreFan wrote:
This is not true.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:50 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
This is not true.

It is. You came around on this a year or two ago and admitted we were right but it seems you are backtracking now

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:52 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
There are going to be many teams who start a pitcher worse than Quintana multiple times in the playoffs.

Define many. Quintana is 4-8 with a 4.49 ERA right now. It's a not a terribly high bar.

But yeah, teams aren't giving up a lot to slightly improve their #3 starter spot, I don't think. I hope I'm wrong. All it takes is one idiot. Here's hoping.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:53 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Cashman wrote:
Pal wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Is it really about the better season? I think the short term is, who is going to show up for the playoffs. The long term is, how much longer are they signed for?

This is it right there. You're letting go of premium prospects for a guy and he might even pitch better than you thought and you still don't get to where you wanted to go and now he's gone and so are the prospects. (See Oakland with Samardzija and Lester.) Quintana being under control for the reasonable price that he is for another three seasons is a huge hedge that you're not getting with these other guys.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:55 am 

FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Define many. Quintana is 4-8 with a 4.49 ERA right now. It's a not a terribly high bar.

But yeah, teams aren't giving up a lot to slightly improve their #3 starter spot, I don't think. I hope I'm wrong. All it takes is one idiot. Here's hoping.
I predict that they trade him and either get one top 10 or so prospect or multiple top 100 prospects along with some other long term potential players. It will be less than Sale for obvious reasons but not really that far away given the differences between the two players.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:55 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Cashman wrote:
Pal wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

This is it right there. You're letting go of premium prospects for a guy and he might even pitch better than you thought and you still don't get to where you wanted to go and now he's gone and so are the prospects. (See Oakland with Samardzija and Lester.) Quintana being under control for the reasonable price that he is for another three seasons is a huge hedge that you're not getting with these other guys.

You're getting it with Verlander. You're just paying more money because he's proven he's a better pitcher.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:57 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

I predict that they trade him and either get one top 10 or so prospect or multiple top 100 prospects along with some other long term potential players. It will be less than Sale for obvious reasons but not really that far away given the differences between the two players.

You might be right. I'm still in the minority that thinks the Sale trade was pretty terrible but I don't like Quintana and if you can get something close that would be a pretty great return for a very average starting pitcher.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:58 am 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Since June 1st, Quintana has a 2.70 ERA. Even better if you only look at the last 30 days.

He started the reason very rough. He has returned to form. He is good.

No team in the running for Quintana would possibly have Verlander more highly rated. Not one single team.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:59 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Cashman wrote:
Pal wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

You're getting it with Verlander. You're just paying more money because he's proven he's a better pitcher.

I don't think the fact that you have to pay Verlander $80 million over the next three seasons is an argument in his favor.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:00 am 

IMU wrote:
Since June 1st, Quintana has a 2.70 ERA. Even better if you only look at the last 30 days.

He started the reason very rough. He has returned to form. He is good.

No team in the running for Quintana would possibly have Verlander more highly rated. Not one single team.

He had a good June. He had a terrible April, May, and he's having a terrible July. I think you are wrong about him being good and I'm almost positive you are wrong on that last point.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:03 am 

I'm not. Following the MLB insiders ... the guys 'in the know' ... Quintana is one of the top few pitchers available at this trade deadline. Verlander is a guy that the Tigers are actively trying to shop, and teams are hanging up on them.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:07 am 

IMU wrote:
I'm not. Following the MLB insiders ... the guys 'in the know' ... Quintana is one of the top few pitchers available at this trade deadline. Verlander is a guy that the Tigers are actively trying to shop, and teams are hanging up on them.

That's not true. Salary offset seems to be the major sticking point by all accounts.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:07 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
IMU wrote:

I'd take Verlander any day.

Phillies/Texas/Hamels type deal. Kick in some cash to get a better return. Though the Illitch kid is apparently a cheapwad so who knows.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:27 am 

The Cubs shouldn't be fucking around with expensive, old, average-at-best pitchers.

The Cubs have the assets to look at guys like Cueto, Archer or Stroman.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:28 am 

IMU wrote:
The Cubs shouldn't be fucking around with expensive, old, average-at-best pitchers.

Agreed. Ya'll should give us Jimenez and some other shit for an inexpensive, young, average-at-best pitcher.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:34 am 

Nah, you don't want our suspects. How about Almora for Quintana?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:37 am 

IMU wrote:

Sure, done. You sure you don't want salary relief as well?

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:19 am 

pizza_Place: Tata's
FavreFan wrote:
IMU wrote:

That's it? If Q was an FA about to hit the market, he'd get a monster deal. A 28 year old pitcher who has been a top tier pitcher over the last 4 years in most metrics, has a WAR between 3.5-5.1 each year (and will still be about a 2 WAR this down year). He consistently eats 200 innings, ERA in low 3's, above avg K's and 28 years old. This describes a very small number of pitchers in MLB. The first 3 months of this year wouldn't effect it and it won't effect it in the trade market.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:25 am 

Pal wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
IMU wrote:

That's it? If Q was an FA about to hit the market, he'd get a monster deal. A 28 year old pitcher who has been a top tier pitcher over the last 4 years in most metrics, has a WAR between 3.5-5.1 each year (and will still be about a 2 WAR this down year). He consistently eats 200 innings, ERA in low 3's, above avg K's and 28 years old. This describes a very small number of pitchers in MLB. The first 3 months of this year wouldn't effect it and it won't effect it in the trade market.

Well, I would be a pretty terrible baseball GM most likely.

But yeah, I'd get rid of Quintana. Cannot play with him, cannot win with him, cannot coach with him. Can't do it. I want winners. I want people that want to win.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:26 am 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
He's a cub

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 818 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next