It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 818 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:26 pm 

pizza_Place: maciano's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
TurdFerguson wrote:
I'm just a cub fan so flame away, but it's nothing but homerism to say his value hasn't peaked considering he had used up 1/6 of his team friendly contract on a bad season. The only way his value appreciates while consuming his cheap season would be if he has pitching lights out.

Don't get me wrong, he is still incredible valuable, but he has lost value since the off season.

His value goes up for teams wanting to go all in on winning the world series this year. See the Cubs and Indians of last year.

I just can't agree considering a relatively bad season for him. If he was putting up a .500 record with great supporting stats like he has in previous years, I could see him being an all in guy. Right now you are buying an inning eater number 3. Last year you could talk a gm into him being 1B starter.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:41 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
America wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
TurdFerguson wrote:
I'm just a cub fan so flame away, but it's nothing but homerism to say his value hasn't peaked considering he had used up 1/6 of his team friendly contract on a bad season. The only way his value appreciates while consuming his cheap season would be if he has pitching lights out.

Don't get me wrong, he is still incredible valuable, but he has lost value since the off season.

His value goes up for teams wanting to go all in on winning the world series this year. See the Cubs and Indians of last year.

Why would those teams settle for a 4.50 ERA pitcher?

Who do you think they can get who is better?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
TurdFerguson wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
TurdFerguson wrote:

I just can't agree considering a relatively bad season for him. If he was putting up a .500 record with great supporting stats like he has in previous years, I could see him being an all in guy. Right now you are buying an inning eater number 3. Last year you could talk a gm into him being 1B starter.

He's had some bad games this year, no doubt. But otherwise, he's the same guy--he'll more often than not keep you in the game for seven innings. That's really attractive to many teams.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:43 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
His era is much higher than normal, his stock has slipped.. I've been saying this the whole year, every White Sox start is one less start his potential new club is not getting.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:45 pm 
Site Admin

312player wrote:
His era is much higher than normal, his stock has slipped.. I've been saying this the whole year, every White Sox start is one less start his potential new club is not getting.

That's not really how it works. If you need a pitcher it's about who you can get.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:47 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
312player wrote:

That's not really how it works. If you need a pitcher it's about who you can get.

That's true, but like I said..i would have given up more for him in March than currently in July.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
It kinda depends who gets into the fray, and the longer the Sox wait the more teams might decide to sell, but I'll take Fulmer way before Quintana. If the Rays jump into the mix everyone will be after Archer and that's where the real headliners will come into play. The good news for the Sox is Cole still looks pretty bad.

I also wouldn't be surprised if the Cubs wind up being the most desperate buyer of the deadline.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:07 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
312player wrote:

That's true, but like I said..i would have given up more for him in March than currently in July.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Tata's
Lot of negativity on what the biggest (known) commodity on the market will bring. I'll assume we're all from the Chicago area. Any of the people who don't think he will be traded/won't bring a haul wanna make a $50 wager on the honor system that the loser will show up at a bar or something and pay? I will bet he is traded by the deadline for a top 40 prospect and another top 100 prospect, at least.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
America wrote:

I also wouldn't be surprised if the Cubs wind up being the most desperate buyer of the deadline.

Not trying to be an asshole to Cubs fans at all, but I watch the Cubs a few times a week, and they can't get a pitcher to last five innings. Hell, they're talking about Samradzjia. It will be interesting to see what they do. But yeah, I think they will be pretty desperate.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
America wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
TurdFerguson wrote:

There are several guys available who are better. They each will have their own issues though whether its age, health, contract, etc.

But beside that, it's faulty logic. If the best player available is really a 4-8 guy with a 4.50 ERA teams aren't going to convince themselves he's an ace.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:51 pm 
Site Admin

FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
America wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
TurdFerguson wrote:

There are several guys available who are better. They each will have their own issues though whether its age, health, contract, etc.

But beside that, it's faulty logic. If the best player available is really a 4-8 guy with a 4.50 ERA teams aren't going to convince themselves he's an ace.

Who are the guys you think are better? And they're nit trading for an ace. They're trading for a guy who is better than Tanaka or Pineda.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:53 pm 

I'd have to actually put a little time in to answer that accurately but off the top of my head Gray, Cueto, Yu, and Verlander.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:52 pm 

Jiminez and Cease were scratched/sat from tonight's games. Some of the people who used to say the Sox would never trade with the Cubs have backed off that idea a little bit.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:56 pm 

There's also a rumor of a rumor. Apparently Rosenthal said a deal for the Cubs to acquire Q was "close" and deleted it almost immediately. A lot of people claim to have gotten the notification.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:26 pm 

formerlyknownas wrote:
America wrote:

Not trying to be an asshole to Cubs fans at all, but I watch the Cubs a few times a week, and they can't get a pitcher to last five innings. Hell, they're talking about Samradzjia. It will be interesting to see what they do. But yeah, I think they will be pretty desperate.

The only person talking about the guppy is that limp wrist bitch Bruce Levine, nobody that matters is even entertaining that awful idea.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:28 pm 

America wrote:
There's also a rumor of a rumor. Apparently Rosenthal said a deal for the Cubs to acquire Q was "close" and deleted it almost immediately. A lot of people claim to have gotten the notification.

I'm still on the Hahn doesn't have the balls to deal with the cubs train, they are the second hand team in town.. A bad trade with the cubs is magnified 10x compared to the reds or Blue Jays .. Hahn, Jerry n Kenny don't have the balls to try that.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:36 pm 

There are a group of "tier-above" guys the Sox really want for Quintana. Gleyber Torres, Kyle Tucker, Ronald Acuna, Ozhaino Albies, Victor Robles, Lewis Brinson, Austin Meadows (fat chance) and Eloy Jiminez are those guys from teams the Sox have been linked to. I think whatever team offers up "that" guy is the one that gets Quintana no questions asked.

Would you rather have Jiminez leading the return or Kolby Allard? I dont like trading with the Cubs but if they're the only team willing to give the Sox a blue chip position player then Hahn has to do it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:39 pm 

I'm thinking that when it's all said n done, The Sox will realize that Quintana is like Jimmy Butler.. Nice piece, over valued in this town but not nationally and doesn't fetch the return the local clowns think he will.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:44 pm 

312player wrote:
America wrote:

I'm still on the Hahn doesn't have the balls to deal with the cubs train, they are the second hand team in town.. A bad trade with the cubs is magnified 10x compared to the reds or Blue Jays .. Hahn, Jerry n Kenny don't have the balls to try that.

:lol:

That's pretty funny, but the reason a trade with the Cubs is unlikely is because the Cubs don't have the assets other teams have.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:45 pm 

312player wrote:
I'm thinking that when it's all said n done, The Sox will realize that Quintana is like Jimmy Butler.. Nice piece, over valued in this town but not nationally and doesn't fetch the return the local clowns think he will.

Jimmy Butler brought a better return than Chris Paul, Paul George, and DeMarcus Cousins. This is a bad thought.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:56 pm 

I don't even know what Indy got for George, but Paul is 33 and an UFA in 10 months.. Cousins got them Fox? Correct? Fox is the best player in this draft, and this is a good draft.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:59 pm 

312player wrote:
I don't even know what Indy got for George, but Paul is 33 and an UFA in 10 months.. Cousins got them Fox? Correct? Fox is the best player in this draft, and this is a good draft.

Cousins got them the 10th pick, not 5th, I believe.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:07 am 

FavreFan wrote:
312player wrote:
America wrote:

:lol:

That's pretty funny, but the reason a trade with the Cubs is unlikely is because the Cubs don't have the assets other teams have.

I wouldn't give much up for Q, last year yes, before the season yes... But now, nope... He's a bullpen killa, he's an average 3rd or 4th starter in the AL... That makes him a nice 3rd starter on a NL team.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:53 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
America wrote:

I saw on twitter saying a cubs minor pitcher who had TJ was pulled from his start. They went back and forth asking why, and saying it didn't make sense unless he was getting checked out to see if he was fine. And a guys said, he was pulled because he and Eloy were coming to the South Side.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:03 am 
Site Admin

FavreFan wrote:
I'd have to actually put a little time in to answer that accurately but off the top of my head Gray, Cueto, Yu, and Verlander.

Gray and Verlander aren't really having better seasons than Quintana and Verlander's salary is ridiculous. I don't think the other two guys are necessarily available.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:13 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

Gray and Verlander aren't really having better seasons than Quintana and Verlander's salary is ridiculous. I don't think the other two guys are necessarily available.

Yeah but value isn't solely determined by this season. If it was, Quintana wouldn't bring back literally anything in a return.

Verlander is definitely a better pitcher than Q, but like I said other factors like salary and age obviously need to be considered.

I don't know why Yu wouldn't be available as a rental.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:49 am 

Reading different boards about this topic reveals that the world is populated by know it alls who know nothing. People wright in definitive terms when they have absolutely no superior knowledge of the work being done than a guy on the street. It seems like baseball fans have become the most insufferable fan base out there with their need to appear to be more informed than everyone else.

Last edited by good dolphin on Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:50 am 
Site Admin

FavreFan wrote:

He might be but I've heard talk that they just want to re-sign him. Anyway, there's a big difference between a two month rental and Quintana who is signed cheap for three more years.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:58 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

He might be but I've heard talk that they just want to re-sign him. Anyway, there's a big difference between a two month rental and Quintana who is signed cheap for three more years.

I already addressed what might be mitigating factors in trades. You simply asked for pitchers who are better who might be available.

To rock my soul

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 818 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next