It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 818 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 28  Next
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:27 am 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
leashyourkids wrote:
IMU wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
We do not question Theo's ways.

Yes, we do.

It's a joke, IMU. You can stop trying to be a "good fan." There's no such thing. Just enjoy the sport.

I'm a smart fan. The dude has made mistakes.

There is nothing to be gained from blind optimism or bad analysis.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 2:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
It certainly looks like Quintana's value is going up by the minute.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 4:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Why is everyone acting like the Sox should send Quintana to the Cubs? Last year sure, but the Flubs don't have the prospects today to buy Quintana. They sent them all the guys I would want to NY for 3 months of Chapman.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 4:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Why is everyone acting like the Sox should send Quintana to the Cubs? Last year sure, but the Flubs don't have the prospects today to buy Quintana. They sent them all the guys I would want to NY for 3 months of Chapman.

It would certainly take a lot, but Eloy Jimenez and Ian Happ would be a good starting point.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 4:41 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
I don't think Quintana is going to be traded.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 4:45 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

It would certainly take a lot, but Eloy Jimenez and Ian Happ would be a good starting point.

That's too much already

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 4:58 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
It wouldn't be enough. Not nearly enough.

It would be a top prospect and an MLB player.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 5:16 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
312player wrote:
Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

That's too much already

Go with Eddie Butler then. #That'sCub

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 5:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
IMU wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
IMU wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
We do not question Theo's ways.

Yes, we do.

It's a joke, IMU. You can stop trying to be a "good fan." There's no such thing. Just enjoy the sport.

I'm a smart fan. The dude has made mistakes.

There is nothing to be gained from blind optimism or bad analysis.

You sound like a complete turd with that statement.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 5:29 pm 

Then I'll be a turd. What joy is there in being a homer?

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 5:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
IMU wrote:
Then I'll be a turd. What joy is there in being a homer?

I told you it was a joke. There is no need to come save the day as Mr. Analytical fan.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 5:34 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
After reading this earlier I was listening to W&S while at the gym. The idea there from them and listeners is the Cubs will get a big pitcher by the trade deadline. My question is why is that assumed? And how do they do it?

The trade market is pretty much made and any team will have to give up a load to gain top pitching this year. Are the Cubs really going to give up 3-4 prospects for this year's run? Q would be more than this year but other pitchers are not.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 9:31 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
pittmike wrote:
After reading this earlier I was listening to W&S while at the gym. The idea there from them and listeners is the Cubs will get a big pitcher by the trade deadline. My question is why is that assumed? And how do they do it?

The trade market is pretty much made and any team will have to give up a load to gain top pitching this year. Are the Cubs really going to give up 3-4 prospects for this year's run? Q would be more than this year but other pitchers are not.

Someone is going to get Quintana and it won't be the Cubs. Not because Hahn won't deal with them, but because the Cubs can't afford what other teams will be able to offer

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 9:38 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
pittmike wrote:

Someone is going to get Quintana and it won't be the Cubs. Not because Hahn won't deal with them, but because the Cubs can't afford what other teams will be able to offer

That is my thought. And Cub fans better start thinking long and hard about what they will want to pay for pitching.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:45 am 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
Cease + Candelario + two lesser prospects gets you Quintana right now. No way anyone gives up anything on the level of Happ or Jimenez for him now. A couple low end t100 guys and lottery tickets will do it, and even that might be an overpay. Quintana looks like shit.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:47 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
America wrote:
Cease + Candelario + two lesser prospects gets you Quintana right now.

Uh, no it doesn't.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:48 am 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
Well right, I suppose because Hahn won't do that deal. They'll let Quintana just fade into a fringe starter before they "settle". I should have said that package is what Quintana is worth right now.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 11:00 am 

Quintana has been good recently. Sub 3.00 ERA in his last 4 starts, .640 OPS against, 27 K's in 25 innings.

America is wrong once again.

Quintana gets you either Happ or Jimenez as the centerpiece of a deal.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 11:51 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
So Jorr and Frank say Happy and Jimenez plus couple toss in guys.

America says Candelario plus Cease and couple toss in guys.

IMU says Happy or Jimenez and couple toss in guys.

I like Darvish but he's a FA in 6 months and will be looking to get paid an absurd amount of dough. So I say Cueto or Quintana, For Q I would never give up Happ and Jimenez, for Sale yes, not for Quintana who's a nice #3.

I'd give up Jimenez and Cabdelario for Cueto.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 11:54 am 

312player wrote:

America says Candelario plus Cease and couple toss in guys.

IMU says Happy or Jimenez and couple toss in guys.

I like Darvish but he's a FA in 6 months and will be looking to get paid an absurd amount of dough. So I say Cueto or Quintana, For Q I would never give up Happ and Jimenez, for Sale yes, not for Quintana who's a nice #3.

I'd give up Jimenez and Cabdelario for Cueto.

It all depends on winning a championship. What the Cubs gave up for Chapman was nothing vs winning the WS.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 12:02 pm 

312player wrote:

Except Quintana's baseline performance the last couple of years would be tops among all Cubs rotation starters this year. Yeah, it's a bit unfair to compare Quintana's performance over the last couple of years to how the current rotation is performing, but outside of Hendricks' insane BABIP run (which he isn't replicating by the way), the only talent that exceeds Quintana's is Lester. Quintana is a #2 in the Cubs's rotation, maybe a #1A as Lester ages and Arrieta continues to falter.

Jimenez is the only bona fide top-25 prospect in this hypothetical deal, Happ is resting somewhere outside the top-50 on a few different lists. That's reasonable for Quintana, considering Sale's trade set the market for Aces at two top-25 prospects+.

Last edited by Juice's Lecture Notes on Wed May 10, 2017 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 12:04 pm 

Cubs fans apparently fail to realize that acquiring top-flight pitching talent is going to hurt the prospect stockpile. It's supposed to hurt.

A maybe-top-50 prospect and a guy that projects to high leverage relief at best for Johnny motherfucking Cueto? :lol:

And these same people gave Julie shit for her "The Cubs would be interested in Mike Trout" tweet.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 1:30 pm 

Happ is rising in scouts estimation. Still, you read about him and he sounds like a less powerful and lower OBP version of Schwarber.

Jimenez is in A ball and hasn't played a game this season.

I don't know what Quintana brings, but when you compare these two to other talent that has been leaked, the Cub offer would not look nearly as good. Other teams supposedly have offered high performing AAA players with ETA of 2017.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 2:14 pm 

The Cubs' farm system and player development has a reputation of churning out some MLB hitters, though. The only bust so far is Schwarber.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 2:32 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
312player wrote:

Frank did not say this. Frank said those two guys would not be nearly enough for Quintana.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 2:43 pm 

Carmen says he would take Jimenez, Almora and Cease for Quintana, without question.

Huebner says no.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 2:48 pm 

IMU wrote:
The Cubs' farm system and player development has a reputation of churning out some MLB hitters, though. The only bust so far is Schwarber.

Right, which brings us to the issue of organizational bias. Each player is an independent entity. While some systems may traditionally be better at fostering certain abilities, the player has skills that must exist irrespective of employer. This is especially true when that player is scouted for a trade.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 2:51 pm 

IMU wrote:
Carmen says he would take Jimenez, Almora and Cease for Quintana, without question.

Huebner says no.

I don't think they want anyone playing at the MLB level. Also, they would have to throw in a low level lottery ticket type if the trade was to match what Hahn appears to be seeking.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 2:53 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
IMU wrote:

Right, which brings us to the issue of organizational bias. Each player is an independent entity. While some systems may traditionally be better at fostering certain abilities, the player has skills that must exist irrespective of employer. This is especially true when that player is scouted for a trade.

The Cubs system is better at recognizing and fostering said abilities. Theo and Jed can. be. trusted.*

*Except as it relates to Kyle Chris Shelton Schwarber.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 4:09 pm 

IMU wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
IMU wrote:

The Cubs system is better at recognizing and fostering said abilities. Theo and Jed can. be. trusted.*

*Except as it relates to Kyle Chris Shelton Schwarber.

Serious question... Who was the last reasonably successful position player to come through the White Sox farm system?

They can't be trusted, IMHO. I'll assume the guy from Boston is a Gordon Beckham clone until he proves otherwise.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 818 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 ... 28  Next