It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: BRING THEM UP
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
Enough is enough.

The year of control is nice and all but if these guys are as good as we are expecting they should be made lifelong White Sox either way. Whether you extend them in 2022 or 2023 makes no difference to me. Its time get these guys in the majors getting experience. This is the core of the team right here, plus Madrigal when he comes up midseason next year. Everyone else is ancillary, even Moncada and Cease. Play these kinds of games with guys who aren't absolutely instrumental to future success, not the building blocks. Eloy is ready, Kopech is ready, Madrigal is probably ready too but he hasnt yet proved it. Those three need to be up asap and making their mark on the big league team.

Post subject: Re: BRING THEM UP
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:01 pm 
1000 CLUB

Nope. No need to do that. Keep them all down. Call them up on April 15th next year. That's the cut off for one more year of control.

The minor league season actually ends at the end of August. So they're almost done with their season. Some guys might do Fall ball in Arizona. Eloy and Kopeck won't. They don't need it.

It does matter. Because if Eloy is a star the Sox aren't giving him 500 million. So I want to keep him as long as possible.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:06 pm 

Beardown wrote:
Nope. No need to do that. Keep them all down. Call them up on April 15th next year. That's the cut off for one more year of control.

The minor league season actually ends at the end of August. So they're almost done with their season. Some guys might do Fall ball in Arizona. Eloy and Kopeck won't. They don't need it.

It does matter. Because if Eloy is a star the Sox aren't giving him 500 million. So I want to keep him as long as possible.

Next July would be better. That way you can avoid the extra year of arbritration.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Take the B+ prospects and offer them longer-term deals to sign through their arbitration years now, a la Scott Kingery of the Phillies or the Kenny Lofton era Indians. Those who sign, bring up right away, the rest stay in Charlotte until mid-June.

For the better prospects, they really need to just bring Eloy up as soon as he'll still be ROY eligible for 2019 and be done with it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:11 pm 
1000 CLUB

Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
Take the B+ prospects and offer them longer-term deals to sign through their arbitration years now, a la Scott Kingery of the Phillies or the Kenny Lofton era Indians. Those who sign, bring up right away, the rest stay in Charlotte until mid-June.

For the better prospects, they really need to just bring Eloy up as soon as he'll still be ROY eligible for 2019 and be done with it.

You're not gonna sign any prospect to a long term deals until they play at least a year in MLB. More likely 2 years. That would be stupid. Especially when they don't even make 1 million dollars in their first 2 years. Shwarber isn't making 1 million this year. He's about 600k or so.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:14 pm 

If Eloy is Manny Ramirez and they dont plan on extending him then just quit. Give up now.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:18 pm 

Beardown wrote:

You're not gonna sign any prospect to a long term deals until they play at least a year in MLB. More likely 2 years. That would be stupid. Especially when they don't even make 1 million dollars in their first 2 years. Shwarber isn't making 1 million this year. He's about 600k or so.

The Sox are going to have ridiculous payroll flexibility the next 3-4 years. They arent signing Harper or Machado.

One way to spend that money is early extensions for guys who perform. Some will take the money, especially the pitchers.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:20 pm 
1000 CLUB

America wrote:
If Eloy is Manny Ramirez and they dont plan on extending him then just quit. Give up now.

No. You don't have to quit. You'll get 7 years of him before that happens. Maybe you can win 2 World Series in that time.

Maybe they will extend him in year 3 or 4 and then it would be more friendly for the club. But sometimes players want to take their arbitration year to year and go to free agency as quick as possible. Because in years 5, 6 and 7 his arbitration will get him 25 million a year anyway if he's great. Sometimes players sign early because they fear getting hurt or they think they might suck and get nothing. But the fear of getting hurt is more for pitchers then position guys.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:22 pm 
1000 CLUB

America wrote:
Beardown wrote:

The Sox are going to have ridiculous payroll flexibility the next 3-4 years. They arent signing Harper or Machado.

One way to spend that money is early extensions for guys who perform. Some will take the money, especially the pitchers.

I agree. Early extensions are a way to do it. I'm just saying not before these guys have played at least one year in MLB. Most likely 2 years like I said.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:22 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
Eloy has been toiling in the bushes for 5 years. Give him what he deserves. A call up immediately. It;s an easy call because it's the right thing to do. Hahn knows it's right thing to do every morning when he looks in the mirror. And Eloy knows it's a fucking every morning that he's not called up. This isn't a Kris Bryant situation.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:44 pm 

Beardown wrote:
America wrote:

No. You don't have to quit. You'll get 7 years of him before that happens. Maybe you can win 2 World Series in that time.

Maybe they will extend him in year 3 or 4 and then it would be more friendly for the club. But sometimes players want to take their arbitration year to year and go to free agency as quick as possible. Because in years 5, 6 and 7 his arbitration will get him 25 million a year anyway if he's great. Sometimes players sign early because they fear getting hurt or they think they might suck and get nothing. But the fear of getting hurt is more for pitchers then position guys.

Eloy does have injury concerns. If there is a weakness that is it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:46 pm 

If the goal is to develop them to be the best baseball players they should have been up a month ago but if the goal is baseball economics and maximizing an “asset” then who fucking cares bring them up sometime next year.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:02 pm 

Who knows when they can start this year and get keep rookie eligibility for 2019?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:15 pm 

August 17

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:41 pm 
1000 CLUB

Keyser Soze wrote:
August 17

I thought it was about games played or plate appearances as far as being eligible for being "Rookie of the Year" the following year. Not about the date of their call up. But maybe I'm wrong.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:45 pm 
7 is more than 6.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:48 pm 
1000 CLUB

It's both. Days in the MLB or at bats. Which ever comes first for you not to qualify as a rookie the following year.

A player shall be considered a rookie unless, during a previous season or seasons, he has (a) exceeded 130 at-bats or 50 innings pitched in the Major Leagues; or (b) accumulated more than 45 days on the active roster of a Major League club or clubs during the period of 25-player limit (excluding time during

Last edited by Beardown on Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Beardown wrote:
Keyser Soze wrote:
August 17

I thought it was about games played or plate appearances as far as being eligible for being "Rookie of the Year" the following year. Not about the date of their call up. But maybe I'm wrong.

Determining rookie status:
A player shall be considered a rookie unless, during a previous season or seasons, he has (a) exceeded 130 at-bats or 50 innings pitched in the Major Leagues; or (b) accumulated more than 45 days on the active roster of a Major League club or clubs during the period of 25-player limit (excluding time in the military service and time on the disabled list).

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info/ab ... ations.jsp

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:10 pm 

The AB’s and IP can be managed (even by clown shoes). The days on the active roster can not.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:00 pm 

So Kopech is at 113 right now. Puts him in a prime positon to get 50 big league innings and get stretched out to 160 while keeping rookie eligibility. He wont be able to get 160 at Charlotte, and him not hitting that mark would be a lost opportunity. Anyone saying he should go to the AFL needs to go away.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
America wrote:
So Kopech is at 113 right now. Puts him in a prime positon to get 50 big league innings and get stretched out to 160 while keeping rookie eligibility. He wont be able to get 160 at Charlotte, and him not hitting that mark would be a lost opportunity. Anyone saying he should go to the AFL needs to go away.

I don't know if it was Haugh or someone else, but I think the morning show was pushing the idea that the Sox don't have nearly the same level of affinity for 'saving a year' (for lack of a better term) that the Coob did. No idea if that was an informed opinion or not, but it didn't seem like they were trying to hedge or qualify their statements at all ... they were saying it pretty matter-of-factly

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:27 pm 

Don Tiny wrote:
America wrote:

I don't know if it was Haugh or someone else, but I think the morning show was pushing the idea that the Sox don't have nearly the same level of affinity for 'saving a year' (for lack of a better term) that the Coob did. No idea if that was an informed opinion or not, but it didn't seem like they were trying to hedge or qualify their statements at all ... they were saying it pretty matter-of-factly

Well Jerry will be close to 90 by the time they reach free agency.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:28 pm 
1000 CLUB

conns7901 wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:
America wrote:

Jerry is gonna live to be 110.

You ever notice that he doesn't age. He looked older for his age when he was 50. But he stopped aging at that point because he looks the same at 80 as he did at 50.

There is a rumor that Jerry has advised his son to sell the White Sox and keep the Bulls once he dies. Bulls print money. Sox probably make a few bucks every year. But not a killing. Despite that, they'd still get about 1.5 billion if they were sold.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:54 pm 

Sox make a lot of dough.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
My heart says yes but my head says no. God, I really don't want to watch Adam Engel play for as long as I live. Also, the Nicky Delmonico experiment was fun last year but it's run its course. Realistically, no one is going to trade for James Shields. It would be so much more entertaining if they invent an injury for him or reassign him to the grounds crew, and bring Kopech up in his place.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:13 pm 

Not often I can say this, but beardown is exactly right in this thread.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Grazianos
Beardown wrote:
conns7901 wrote:
Don Tiny wrote:
America wrote:

Jerry is gonna live to be 110.

You ever notice that he doesn't age. He looked older for his age when he was 50. But he stopped aging at that point because he looks the same at 80 as he did at 50.

There is a rumor that Jerry has advised his son to sell the White Sox and keep the Bulls once he dies. Bulls print money. Sox probably make a few bucks every year. But not a killing. Despite that, they'd still get about 1.5 billion if they were sold.

Reinny is a puke. No one can argue that in any way shape or form. That is why the White Sox and Bulls are screwed. THe Sox are going to end up in Vegas. Reinny has wanted to find the most lucrative way of getting out of Chicago for a long time and Vegas is his chance. He blew the chance to take over Chicago baseball about 13 or so years ago but he ended up being the piece of shit miser that he always has been So the Sox will go in a couple of years. As for the Bulls, they are hopeless also. The NBA has four legit franchises and the Bulls are not one of them. It'll be just a matter of time before Bulls fans stop turning out for a team that cannot win just like they have done with the White Sox.

Oh, he might have went on livin'
But he made one fatal slip
When he tried to match the Ranger
With the big iron on his hip

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Grazianos
I say this. If a kid is ready to play in the major leagues, then by all means bring him up in September and send him out to winter ball and season him further in order to make him ready to have a good chance to make the major league roster next year. BUT, do not bring up "prospects" just to experiment with them. Failure is a tough thing for a young player to experience and that really is the ART of examining baseball players. In my experience as a coach and teacher, players who have been successful at every level have a major mental difficulty when they struggle and some of that is teams advancing them too fast.

Oh, he might have went on livin'
But he made one fatal slip
When he tried to match the Ranger
With the big iron on his hip

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:50 am 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
clearly this team isn't going to be in a position to compete next year either... so keep them down... what a shortsighted mistake it would be to lose a year of control to have him play on a shit team in 2019... not a good take america rozner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:03 am 

They better be in a position to compete next year.