It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
Yikes, the vitriol is strong in this thread. How about we tone it down. Moncada will be a stud. Looks like the Sox are finally learning how to play clock games. Smart move. Beats the MLB service time they wasted on both Rodon and Fullmer, in lost seasons.

Bob, we're counting on you this year. Things are gonna get way worse than this. Can Cubbie Corner rely on you?

Regarding the White Sox Forum

My posts will only be of the positive nature. I wish them well in the rebuild. I will encourage them to be patient. As a Cubs fan I remember the lean years, 2012-2014, man that was rough. And I will be honest, I did not always see the forest through the trees, yeah I was a flippant idiot at times, wanting Theo to sign Nelson Cruz so they could win 3 more meaningless games. I wish I had been more patient,"a better fan". My way to make it up is to help these guys through it, and assure them, better days ahead.

Regarding the Cubs forum

You bet your ass I will have the back of Cub's nation. See last week, when Good Dolphin, Joe and PRICK tried trolling the Heyward thread. They were swiftly put back in their place.

If I trolled the Heyward thread then you need to toughen up.

Sorry Bob, but he's right.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
America wrote:
In A+ last year he had a 15.8% walk rate and in AA it was 13%. There's really no reason to be concerned about his ability to take a walk...Yet.

Except in high-A walk rates don't correlate well with continued success in getting on base and hitting for power at the higher levels. Kids pitching in A-ball are still very much relying on their "stuff", and aren't renowned for their strategic pitching. I'd like to see one more year of it replicated in a league that actually does advanced scouting.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
.....and hitters at A+ and AA ball aren't raw too? Come on, Moncada's walk numbers so far are extremely encouraging, its the swing and miss that worries you. His batters eye and plate discipline are good, if not great, for a player his age. Contact issues are separate bag.

Just admit you never looked up his numbers before writing that post.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:43 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Papa Dells
Future HOFer, no doubt.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:45 pm 

America wrote:
.....and hitters at A+ and AA ball aren't raw too? Come on, Moncada's walk numbers so far are extremely encouraging, its the swing and miss that worries you. His batters eye and plate discipline are good, if not great, for a player his age. Contact issues are separate bag.

Just admit you never looked up his numbers before writing that post.

I did look up his numbers, which is why i said "one more year" and "higher rungs of the minors".

http://www.hardballtimes.com/katoh-fore ... gue-stats/

Quote:
I think the biggest takeaway here is that walk rate doesn’t matter very much at the lower levels of the minors. In fact, it’s not predictive at all for players in rookie ball or Low-A. And even as high as Double-A, a one percent change in strikeout rate affects a player’s projection by about 1.5 times as much as a one percent change in walk rate.

Intuitively, this makes sense. A hitter doesn’t need to be particularly good at hitting to run a high walk rate in the low minors, as pitchers at these levels often have little idea where the ball’s going. As a result, batters can get away with taking an ultra-passive approach in the hopes they’ll see four balls before they see three strikes. That strategy might work in Rookie ball or A-ball, but it can lose its effectiveness in the upper levels, where pitchers have a better handle on their control.

To be clear, this isn’t to say that a high-walk prospect is no more likely to make it than a low-walk prospect. Walk rate generally correlates with future success, but only because it’s collinear with ISO. Simply put, players who hit for power also tend to walk a lot, but it’s the power–rather than the walks–that predicts big league performance.

But please, keep being unnecessarily hostile, ignorant dipshit.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
Uh KATOH has Moncada at 13.8 WAR in his first 6 seasons (very bullish), so I wouldn't be using that to temper expectations on Moncada.

And really your initial post that I responded seems to imply that he hasn't been drawing walks against better pitching, but his stats from the A+ to AA don't really show that at all. If your broader point that Moncada needs to keep replicating his high A and AA numbers through AAA and into the majors then my response to you is "no shit". It's basically like saying "if Moncada is going to be good he's gonna have to be good".

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:27 pm 

America wrote:

And really your initial post that I responded seems to imply that he hasn't been drawing walks against better pitching, but his stats from the A+ to AA don't really show that at all. If your broader point that Moncada needs to keep replicating his high A and AA numbers through AAA and into the majors then my response to you is "no shit". It's basically like saying "if Moncada is going to be good he's gonna have to be good".

1. No, my original post doesn't imply that. You're just an incredibly poor contrarian.

2. No, my point remains the same: Moncada has only one season of a decent walk rate against pitching competition that actively scouts and prepares for individual batters, I want to see another one before I readily excuse a 30% K-rate.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:17 am 

Caller Bob wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
Yikes, the vitriol is strong in this thread. How about we tone it down. Moncada will be a stud. Looks like the Sox are finally learning how to play clock games. Smart move. Beats the MLB service time they wasted on both Rodon and Fullmer, in lost seasons.

Bob, we're counting on you this year. Things are gonna get way worse than this. Can Cubbie Corner rely on you?

Regarding the White Sox Forum

My posts will only be of the positive nature. I wish them well in the rebuild. I will encourage them to be patient. As a Cubs fan I remember the lean years, 2012-2014, man that was rough. And I will be honest, I did not always see the forest through the trees, yeah I was a flippant idiot at times, wanting Theo to sign Nelson Cruz so they could win 3 more meaningless games. I wish I had been more patient,"a better fan". My way to make it up is to help these guys through it, and assure them, better days ahead.

Regarding the Cubs forum

You bet your ass I will have the back of Cub's nation. See last week, when Good Dolphin, Joe and PRICK tried trolling the Heyward thread. They were swiftly put back in their place.

You interjected yourself into my discussion and I beat you like a rented mule. Then I pulled a Vince Lombardi and engaged you in your argument with the same results. That must have been a rough day for you.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:26 am 

Moncada belongs in the minors this year and leash's humor is derivative.