It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:29 am 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
in case anyone still harbored any delusions that this team is rebuilding.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:39 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
America wrote:
in case anyone still harbored any delusions that this team is rebuilding.

There are people on this board who think they are. In no way shape or form are they rebuilding. The anti-management guys are gone, and we know who they are.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:52 am 

pizza_Place: maciano's
Reloaded.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:41 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Keyser will luv this thread :roll:

Rebuilding or not, you do not trade guys just to trade them. You have to get something of value back. It probably behooves the White Sox to hold on to these guys (and Quintana) until closer to the trading deadline.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:43 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Keyser will luv this thread :roll:

Rebuilding or not, you do not trade guys just to trade them. You have to get something of value back. It probably behooves the White Sox to hold on to these guys (and Quintana) until closer to the trading deadline.

An example of this is Shark. If the Cubs trade him in spring training just to trade him they likely miss out on fleecing the A's for Russell.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:46 am 
100000 CLUB

And Chapman & Miller last year. Even though Robertson is not nearly as good as he once was, there will absolutely be a contending team that has their bullpen crap out on them, and will give up something of value to get Robertson. Same thing with Frazier and a contender who needs offensive help or has a guy get hurt.

If the Sox do not make these types of moves during the season, then I might jump on board the "getting rid of Anti Mgmt guys" train.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:11 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
And Chapman & Miller last year. Even though Robertson is not nearly as good as he once was, there will absolutely be a contending team that has their bullpen crap out on them, and will give up something of value to get Robertson. Same thing with Frazier and a contender who needs offensive help or has a guy get hurt.

If the Sox do not make these types of moves during the season, then I might jump on board the "getting rid of Anti Mgmt guys" train.

And Jerry is probably laughing at people like you spending money on this team, believing this.

Until there is an actual direction taken, I will not spend money on this team.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:13 am 
100000 CLUB

I have spent $0 on the White Sox since about June of last year.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:53 am 

I bought a new White Sox license plate holder.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:45 pm 

Why does everyone assume there is some viable market for David Robertson and Todd Frazier?

Robertson is going to be 32, coming off of his worst season as a closer, a season which you would expect from a middle reliever, not someone you toss into high leverage situations. In the age of POWER ARRRRMS coming out of each and every bullpen in the league, the last thing you want to be is a cutter-curveball artist sitting at 91 with a plummeting strikeout rate and skyrocketing walk rate. On top of all that, the peripheral "luck" metrics don't show Robertson to have been particularly unlucky in 2016--in fact he benefited from an above-average HR/FB rate--so it becomes more likely that the precipitous falloff we've seen from his 2014-15 work is talent-related. Considering all that (and he's rather expensive), how many teams are going to gamble with prospects on a Robertson rebound?

As for Frazier, he's in the same boat as Mark Trumbo and Chris Carter: power-hitters who still make a ton of outs, and aren't really valuable outside of their ability to hit home runs. In fact, Frazier is the worst of the bunch, posting a .326 wOBA in 2016, by far the worst mark of any player who hit 30+ HR's last year. Only Justin Upton comes close. Both Trumbo and Carter were free agents, and both ended up signing meager contracts (1-year, $3.5MM for Carter, 3-year $37MM for Trumbo) despite being atop or nearly atop the league in HR's and other power metrics. The market seems to be cooling on one-dimensional power hitters, and Frazier is the most one-dimensional of them all.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Both these guys will get traded between August 1-5 for minor league PTBNLs which the White Sox will pick after the regular season is over.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:28 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
Why does everyone assume there is some viable market for David Robertson and Todd Frazier?

Robertson is going to be 32, coming off of his worst season as a closer, a season which you would expect from a middle reliever, not someone you toss into high leverage situations. In the age of POWER ARRRRMS coming out of each and every bullpen in the league, the last thing you want to be is a cutter-curveball artist sitting at 91 with a plummeting strikeout rate and skyrocketing walk rate. On top of all that, the peripheral "luck" metrics don't show Robertson to have been particularly unlucky in 2016--in fact he benefited from an above-average HR/FB rate--so it becomes more likely that the precipitous falloff we've seen from his 2014-15 work is talent-related. Considering all that (and he's rather expensive), how many teams are going to gamble with prospects on a Robertson rebound?

As for Frazier, he's in the same boat as Mark Trumbo and Chris Carter: power-hitters who still make a ton of outs, and aren't really valuable outside of their ability to hit home runs. In fact, Frazier is the worst of the bunch, posting a .326 wOBA in 2016, by far the worst mark of any player who hit 30+ HR's last year. Only Justin Upton comes close. Both Trumbo and Carter were free agents, and both ended up signing meager contracts (1-year, $3.5MM for Carter, 3-year $37MM for Trumbo) despite being atop or nearly atop the league in HR's and other power metrics. The market seems to be cooling on one-dimensional power hitters, and Frazier is the most one-dimensional of them all.

This guy gets it

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:45 pm 

Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
Both these guys will get traded between August 1-5 for minor league PTBNLs which the White Sox will pick after the regular season is over.

Right, so why not do that now so Nate Jones can attempt to prove himself as a closer and Davidson/Saladino/whoever gets more playing time to see if they are worthwhile? Oh I know, because Frazier and Robertson give the White Sox a better chance at winning games in 2017 (at least according to this FO) and they wont be further harming the odds of winning this season.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
America wrote:

Right, so why not do that now so Nate Jones can attempt to prove himself as a closer and Davidson/Saladino/whoever gets more playing time to see if they are worthwhile? Oh I know, because Frazier and Robertson give the White Sox a better chance at winning games in 2017 (at least according to this FO) and they wont be further harming the odds of winning this season.

Because no good team wants to carry them on the 25-man roster between now and then. Somebody will decide they are in a pennant run and can use Frazier as a PH/injury backup, and will be willing to tie up the roster spot for four weeks until they expand. And they may even give up a lottery ticket in return.

So do you just waive them now and get zero back? They did that with Lawrie once they realized nobody was going to trade for him before the season started.

And for some reason I think the PTBNL time limit is something like 60 or 90 days, but I am probably mistaken on that.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:37 pm 

The Sox already had an offer on Robertson from the Nats, reported to be a MLB level catching prospect. It seems that Hahn, as we have seen with Quintana, is willing to bet on an increase in value come the trading deadline. The complication is that he has another year on his contract and the Sox seem reluctant to eat money.

There was no market for all or nothing power hitters this off season. I expect Frazier to return to his normal numbers, although slightly downgraded for league and for some team to be willing to take him on at the deadline. I don't think it will be for a great haul unless someone has need specifically for a 3B and not just a general power hitter.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:59 pm 

Supposedly the reason that Robertson-to-Washington deal didn't get done was Jerry's unwillingness to break his rule about eating salary. My feeling is that they didn't want to trade their closer without having a replacement waiting.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:06 pm 

They do have a replacement waiting either in Jones or Burdi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:02 pm 
100000 CLUB

While I agree with Davidson, Saladino (who is having himself a nice Spring) is probably the main 2nd baseman with Lawrie gone.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:11 pm 

America wrote:
Supposedly the reason that Robertson-to-Washington deal didn't get done was Jerry's unwillingness to break his rule about eating salary. My feeling is that they didn't want to trade their closer without having a replacement waiting.

What is the #1 thing they always need? If Washington was offering a legit catching prospect, why not pull the trigger?!?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:48 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
They do have a replacement waiting either in Jones or Burdi

Jones is a glass cannon and Burdi is 100% unproven. You think they are gonna pay somebody like Robertson to close games for Washington? No way. The job is his to lose.

I agree that it should go to Jones or Burdi, but the Sox dont feel that way. They dont feel those guys give them the best chance to win in 2017.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:42 pm 

America wrote:

Exactamundo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Milquetoast thread.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:45 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
Keyser Soze wrote:
America wrote:

Exactamundo

But just a couple of weeks ago, FavreFan was ranting that they need to stop with these $10 ticket packages and focus on (marginally) improving the team. So as you can imagine, the White Sox front office is in a Damned if you do, damned if you don't situation with the fans.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
They are useful injury replacements for various teams, but yes, they don't command quite the return as other pieces previously sold.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:28 am 

Kenny very happy to have Eaton and Sale gone.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:56 pm 

Nationals are giving up on their closer already.

http://www.federalbaseball.com/2017/4/1 ... -nationals

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 12:02 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Missed the boat on Frazier. He's fucking awful this year.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 12:37 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
America wrote:
Nationals are giving up on their closer already.

http://www.federalbaseball.com/2017/4/1 ... -nationals

They might need more than that:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/the-nati ... r-problem/

Matt Albers being your only "good" RP is pretty damn rough. Give us Robles

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 8:42 am 

FavreFan wrote:
Missed the boat on Frazier. He's fucking awful this year.

He would still be an upgrade for Boston. They won't be giving much back.

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 8:58 am 

Mike Moustakis would be a bigger upgrade.