It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 421 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:50 am 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
What an idiotic question.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:00 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
I want Chicago to have two strong baseball teams (defining "strong" as "usually over .500" for the Sox here). I don't like the Sox, but in the best interests of Chicago, baseball, and Chicago baseball, I don't want things to be as bad as they are. They're almost getting 2002-2007 Blackhawks bad.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:12 am 

billypootons wrote:
how is one not to interpret this thread as trolling?
Why would it be?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:13 am 

Darkside wrote:
Why?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:16 am 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Darkside wrote:
Why?

Because they're not.
Most of your bullet points are silly.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:19 am 

Darkside wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Darkside wrote:
Why?

Because they're not.
Most of your bullet points are silly.
I disagree.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:22 am 

Only the downtown dome really stood out as silly.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:25 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
Only the downtown dome really stood out as silly.
I am positive that when the time to replace the stadium comes up that a retractable roof stadium will be a major discussion point.

That was one of the things bigfan was actually dead right on. We miss out on a lot of events in Chicago by not having a retractable roof stadium. If the Bears won't do it then the next Sox owners should.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:37 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
no we don't

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:38 am 

Wouldn't it stand to reason that the Wirtzes and whoever goes on to own the Bulls would maintain the same opposition in the name of protecting summer United Center dates? That's what it was about with Reinsdorf, right?

I wouldn't want the Sox playing under a roof because the roof would almost certainly be closed all the time. Toronto and Milwaukee close their roofs if a cloud passes by.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:44 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Curious Hair wrote:
Wouldn't it stand to reason that the Wirtzes and whoever goes on to own the Bulls would maintain the same opposition in the name of protecting summer United Center dates? That's what it was about with Reinsdorf, right?

I wouldn't want the Sox playing under a roof because the roof would almost certainly be closed all the time. Toronto and Milwaukee close their roofs if a cloud passes by.

What? If Comiskey or Wrigley had a retractable roof it'd be open 95% of the time.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:49 am 

Kirkwood wrote:
no we don't
Sure we do. Go look and see what Indy gets that we don't and Indy sucks and no one wants to go there for anything.
Curious Hair wrote:

I'm sure they would get opposition to it but it's becoming more and more obvious that retractable roof stadiums are more beneficial than other types of stadiums especially in a place like Chicago.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:49 am 

It most certainly would not be. I'm pretty sure all domed stadiums (football and baseball) are closed way more than they're open. And in the postseason, the league would require it to be closed.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:50 am 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Not so much 'sleeping' as 'in a diabetic coma'.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:50 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Curious Hair wrote:
And in the postseason, the league would require it to be closed.
Not in 2005.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:52 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
no we don't
Sure we do. Go look and see what Indy gets that we don't and Indy sucks and no one wants to go there for anything.
Curious Hair wrote:

I'm sure they would get opposition to it but it's becoming more and more obvious that retractable roof stadiums are more beneficial than other types of stadiums especially in a place like Chicago.

A domed baseball stadium is a waste of money. No events are drawn to a domed baseball stadium over an arena. Absolute waste of money.

A domed football stadium will draw events but not enough to justify the cost.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:04 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
It most certainly would not be. I'm pretty sure all domed stadiums (football and baseball) are closed way more than they're open. And in the postseason, the league would require it to be closed.

How would it not be open May through September except for rain?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
I'd love to see Miller Park in Chicago for the White Sox. I love that place.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:12 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

How would it not be open May through September except for rain?

Kinda chilly, might rain. I went to a Brewers game on a pleasant but somewhat overcast June day and they started closing the roof in the 7th inning because it could, theoretically, rain.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:13 pm 

Keep in mind, the Sox already lost two games due to rain. There are upsides to having a dome to get those games in.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:16 pm 

denisdman wrote:
Keep in mind, the Sox already lost two games due to rain. There are upsides to having a dome to get those games in.

Yeah one of them being people might actually be more inclined to buy tickets if they knew they won't be sitting in 40 degree rainy windy days and nights the first month of the season.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:17 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
It's possible. What are the Sox fans expectations of when they'll be competitive again?

When Kenny and Hahn are no longer employed by the team. So it's gonna be awhile.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:19 pm 

Kirkwood wrote:
A domed baseball stadium is a waste of money. No events are drawn to a domed baseball stadium over an arena. Absolute waste of money.

A domed football stadium will draw events but not enough to justify the cost.
Scheduling becomes a little difficult but it could be a year round use arena especially if it had the ability to have enough seats to justify something like the final four.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:19 pm 

denisdman wrote:

Right, and who is going to pay for it? And what will it do other than sit empty the other 280 days of the year.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:21 pm 

Kirkwood wrote:
denisdman wrote:

Right, and who is going to pay for it? And what will it do other than sit empty the other 280 days of the year.

The taxpayers . Just like this one .

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:28 pm 

So outside of a guy who doesn't know what he is talking about and conns the answer seems to be that they may be?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:35 pm 

Kirkwood wrote:
denisdman wrote:

Paying for stadiums is always a controversial topic. That aside, consider the two scenarios when a new stadium needs to be built:

1) Traditional open air stadium like Guaranteed Rate
2) Retractable Dome like Miller

Now run the cost/benefits of each. As you say, the upfront dome costs are higher, but so are the revenue streams. For instance, how much higher would attendance be because you are always playing in good weather? Personally, I stopped going to April game due to the weather. I suspect others feel the same way. How much longer would you stay at a game if the climate was perfect? That means more concessions. And finally, you have the ability to host events all year in the dome.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:45 pm 

New Comiskey is nowhere near obsolete. It was built in 1990 and heavily renovated through the 2000s. They should be able to get at least another twenty years out of it. If some new Sox owner wants a domed stadium, he is welcome to finance one himself. This state has no business spending at least a billion dollars on a sports venue. That's first-rate corporate welfare.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:46 pm 

denisdman wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:
denisdman wrote:

Paying for stadiums is always a controversial topic. That aside, consider the two scenarios when a new stadium needs to be built:

1) Traditional open air stadium like Guaranteed Rate
2) Retractable Dome like Miller

Now run the cost/benefits of each. As you say, the upfront dome costs are higher, but so are the revenue streams. For instance, how much higher would attendance be because you are always playing in good weather? Personally, I stopped going to April game due to the weather. I suspect others feel the same way. How much longer would you stay at a game if the climate was perfect? That means more concessions. And finally, you have the ability to host events all year in the dome.

And there is the rub. There is a certain person in town that has an interest in not having any type of dome stadium options in Chicago. He wants those events kept at the United Center...and thus put more $$$ in his own pocket. Just look at where the Bears are playing. JR quickly signed off on that.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:49 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Curious Hair wrote:
New Comiskey is nowhere near obsolete. It was built in 1990 and heavily renovated through the 2000s. They should be able to get at least another twenty years out of it. If some new Sox owner wants a domed stadium, he is welcome to finance one himself. This state has no business spending at least a billion dollars on a sports venue. That's first-rate corporate welfare.

It would be hard to find a bigger Sox fan than me but I'd rather see them leave than pay for a new stadium.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 421 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next