It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Yoan Moncada Watch
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:57 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
FavreFan wrote:
What makes you think Robertson is going to increase his value this year? Same with Frazier? A rebuilding team would be willing to eat salary and dump those guys for prospects.

I don't know if he will, but it does no good to just cut him. You have to pay him. You may as well see if you can get some of the prospects you want. Same for Frazier. Nobody wants to pay for that bat right now, but someone will be in the hunt and need power at the deadline.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:59 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
With the haul they got for Sale and Eaton, they dont need mutliple top 3 draft picks.

A contending team is going to have a bullpen guy go down. That is when the Sox move Robertson. A contending team is going to need a bat or have a bat go down. That is when they move Frazier. Rebuilding teams trade assets and get something in return. They dont just dump guys to make fans happy. Or DFA them, which is the stupidest thing suggested here.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:02 pm 
Site Admin

Frank Coztansa wrote:
With the haul they got for Sale and Eaton, they dont need mutliple top 3 draft picks.

A contending team is going to have a bullpen guy go down. That is when the Sox move Robertson. A contending team is going to need a bat or have a bat go down. That is when they move Frazier. Rebuilding teams trade assets and get something in return. They dont just dump guys to make fans happy. Or DFA them, which is the stupidest thing suggested here.

They certainly don't DFA them to play Matt Davidson everyday.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
I don't understand the complaints. Are they supposed to field a minor league team?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Frank Coztansa wrote:

This idea that a team is going to get a player hurt and all of a sudden give up good assets for Frazier is insane. It's not going to happen. At best, maybe you get one extra really shitty prospect tossed in the deal who has no chance to be a good MLB player.

The same goes for Robertson. Teams ALREADY need help with their bullpens. His value isn't going to increase in a couple months just because one RP on some contender goes down. Especially because the more he pitches the more likely he is to decrease his value. He's not that good anymore. 2011 was six years ago.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:06 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
I don't understand the complaints.

It's really not hard to comprehend if you read the thread.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:08 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

I comprehend the argument, putz. I just think it's a dumb argument that is looking for things to complain about.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:09 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

I comprehend the argument, putz. I just think it's a dumb argument that is looking for things to complain about.

:lol:

OK, well you DO understand the complaints then.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:10 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Oh, for Christ's sake... literal FF is here. Nevermind.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
If they had been willing to eat salary to send Robertson to WAS I could buy JORR and Frank's point. But that refusal is very telling.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:13 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Oh, for Christ's sake... literal FF is here. Nevermind.

That's not being literal. Do and Don't obviously mean complete opposite things. It's not arguing semantics to point that out.

Anyway, some of us think a team stacked with overpaid veterans who doesn't attempt to trade those veterans isn't rebuilding. I know, it's a dumb thing to complain about.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:15 pm 

I think some of you are overestimating how much they can get back for some of these guys. Frazier isn't going to bring you a haul. I don't even think Quintana would bring that much. Baseball rarely has trades like that. GM's like to hold onto their own young talent unless they are getting a guy like Chris Sale under contract.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:18 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
I think some of you are overestimating how much they can get back for some of these guys. Frazier isn't going to bring you a haul. I don't even think Quintana would bring that much. Baseball rarely has trades like that. GM's like to hold onto their own young talent unless they are getting a guy like Chris Sale under contract.

Well, Quintana would clearly bring you back a big haul. I don't think anybody questions that.

But nobody is making the argument that Frazier and Robertson are gonna bring in a great return. In fact, I'm saying that no matter what happens over the next few months, neither is going to bring a good return. And they aren't helping you much this year either. A rebuilding team would eat salary and dump them for any prospects they could. The Sox are too cheap to do that.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:21 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Well, Quintana would clearly bring you back a big haul. I don't think anybody questions that.

But nobody is making the argument that Frazier and Robertson are gonna bring in a great return. In fact, I'm saying that no matter what happens over the next few months, neither is going to bring a good return. And they aren't helping you much this year either. A rebuilding team would eat salary and dump them for any prospects they could. The Sox are too cheap to do that.

There's value to some of these guys beyond numbers or contributions. You have to have veterans who show youngsters how to go about the business of baseball and the game of baseball. It sounds cheesy, but it's true. Maybe they see something in those guys that they think will benefit younger players.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:23 pm 
Site Admin

FavreFan wrote:
A rebuilding team would eat salary and dump them for any prospects they could. The Sox are too cheap to do that.

That doesn't make any sense here. The Sox are on the hook for the money either way. The object is to maximize the return, not just give them away.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:27 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
A rebuilding team would eat salary and dump them for any prospects they could. The Sox are too cheap to do that.

That doesn't make any sense here. The Sox are on the hook for the money either way. The object is to maximize the return, not just give them away.

It does make sense. The Sox won't pay players to play for another team, even if it helps build their own organizational depth. That's being cheap.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:30 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

There's value to some of these guys beyond numbers or contributions. You have to have veterans who show youngsters how to go about the business of baseball and the game of baseball. It sounds cheesy, but it's true. Maybe they see something in those guys that they think will benefit younger players.

I don't really agree with that, but even if it were true they can keep Quintana and Abreu around. Nobody here is saying they need to start a minor league team. But Frazier and Melky are gone after this year. Are you suggesting that whatever intangible contributions they make to this team are more valuable than a tangible prospect or two? If so, I disagree.

It seems like you, JORR, and Frank want to give the benefit of the doubt to the front office on this "rebuild". I don't know why. A decade of missing the playoffs warrants a lot of skepticism.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:31 pm 
Site Admin

FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

It does make sense. The Sox won't pay players to play for another team, even if it helps build their own organizational depth. That's being cheap.

It's not true though. They cut Danks because he obviously had no value and he was their highest paid guy. These guys aren't like that. You have to be patient with them. Maybe it won't work out. But there's no downside in holding onto them unless you think taking at-bats away from Davidson is a downside.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:32 pm 

It depends on the prospect. Again, you're not gonna get top tier prospects for those two. And the reality is that you're going to be waaaaaay better trade value in the middle of the season when teams are looking to rent players. They are niche players, and you're better off looking for a contender midseason who has a huge need for what they bring to the table.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:34 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

It's not true though. They cut Danks because he obviously had no value and he was their highest paid guy. These guys aren't like that. You have to be patient with them. Maybe it won't work out. But there's no downside in holding onto them unless you think taking at-bats away from Davidson is a downside.

If any of them get hurt, that's clearly a downside. If they hold onto Frazier and Melky and they walk for nothing next year, that's clearly a downside.

Now let's look at the upside. The only upside is the fantasy scenario where a contender loses a key guy and for some reason decides to give up good value for any of these guys. That's not going to happen. They aren't going to increase their trade value.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:35 pm 
Site Admin

FavreFan wrote:
It seems like you, JORR, and Frank want to give the benefit of the doubt to the front office on this "rebuild". I don't know why. A decade of missing the playoffs warrants a lot of skepticism.

I don't have an issue with you being skeptical about their ability to successfully rebuild. But this whole narrative that rebuilding was just a ruse to purge the clubhouse of Sale and Eaton is just nutty fan claptrap supported by no evidence. They are rebuilding. How long it will take and how successful they will be in doing so is another matter. They almost certainly won't be as successful as the Cubs. Thinking they will is as goofy as thinking Schwarber will be a Hall of Famer. Maybe one or both things will happen but both are highly unlikely.

leashyourkids wrote:
It depends on the prospect. Again, you're not gonna get top tier prospects for those two. And the reality is that you're going to be waaaaaay better trade value in the middle of the season when teams are looking to rent players. They are niche players, and you're better off looking for a contender midseason who has a huge need for what they bring to the table.

Again, you're not going to get top tier prospects for those two, even under your scenario.

To rock my soul

100000 CLUB

"Stacked with veterans"

If that was the case, they would be a playoff team.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:37 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
"Stacked with veterans"

If that was the case, they would be a playoff team.

That's a silly thought. Not all veterans are good, Frank.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:39 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

I don't have an issue with you being skeptical about their ability to successfully rebuild. But this whole narrative that rebuilding was just a ruse to purge the clubhouse of Sale and Eaton is just nutty fan claptrap supported by no evidence. They are rebuilding. How long it will take and how successful they will be in doing so is another matter. They almost certainly won't be as successful as the Cubs. Thinking they will is as goofy as thinking Schwarber will be a Hall of Famer. Maybe one or both things will happen but both are highly unlikely.

I'm not saying they are purging Sale and Eaton for being clubhouse cancers. I'm quite simply saying they are incompetent and don't really know what they are doing, which is why it's foolish for any of us to presume to know what they are doing either.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:39 pm 
100000 CLUB

You said it. There are what, 4 guys who are veterans that the Sox can move? That is hardly "stacked"

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:40 pm 

pizza_Place: aurelios
FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Again, you're not going to get top tier prospects for those two, even under your scenario.

But they are holding nobody back.. Why not roll the dice and try and get a few lottery tickets for them?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:40 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

I'm not saying they are purging Sale and Eaton for being clubhouse cancers. I'm quite simply saying they are incompetent and don't really know what they are doing, which is why it's foolish for any of us to presume to know what they are doing either.

That's a different argument than the one the other guy is making. He's saying they're not rebuilding.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:41 pm 
Site Admin

FavreFan wrote:
If any of them get hurt, that's clearly a downside.

America is talking about DFAing them. Who cares if they get hurt? It's no worse than giving them away.

FavreFan wrote:
If they hold onto Frazier and Melky and they walk for nothing next year, that's clearly a downside.

If they give them qualifying offers they'll still get at least a third round pick for each and possibly a second and fifth, I believe. Admittedly, doing so may be a tough call on those guys.

FavreFan wrote:
They aren't going to increase their trade value.

I think it's likely that they will have higher value at the deadline.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:41 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

It's more likely in June when the Yankees have an injured third basemen and lack power in their lineup.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next