PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:48 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Meanwhile.....Q's stock is plummeting

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:01 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Cashman wrote:

That's the beauty of it, it's really not. That fact that a pitcher's losses are regarded as "meaningless" is helping maintain his value. He's had two bad innings. Conventional "wisdom" looks beyond that. And beyond his losing record over 150 starts.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:11 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Cashman wrote:

That's the beauty of it, it's really not. That fact that a pitcher's losses are regarded as "meaningless" is helping maintain his value. He's had two bad innings. Conventional "wisdom" looks beyond that. And beyond his losing record over 150 starts.

I don't care about W/L's I am looking at 23 base runners over 17.1 IP.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:16 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Cashman wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Cashman wrote:

It's been 3 starts. Let's not jump the gun here. And by this logic James Shields is now a a valuable trade piece.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:27 am 

WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
Cashman wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Cashman wrote:

It's been 3 starts. Let's not jump the gun here. And by this logic James Shields is now a a valuable trade piece.

All I am saying is if they sold now, it would be selling low.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:31 am 
Site Admin

Cashman wrote:
Cashman wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Cashman wrote:

I think that's the point. The time to sell high hasn't come yet. That's why he's still pitching for the White Sox.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:37 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's

Shields was traded last year with numbers that were mediocre at the very best. Qunitana will be fine.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:49 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Cashman wrote:
Cashman wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Cashman wrote:

I think that's the point. The time to sell high hasn't come yet. That's why he's still pitching for the White Sox.

I disagree. Regardless of whether they are individual innings, I think he starts to get picked at in ways he wasn't before. The ideal time was this past offseason. Whether the reason is wins or losses or just watching him play, I don't think Q is going to maintain the same level of pitching that he has had over the past couple years, and I do think that part of his "ceiling" is reflected in his wins and losses throughout the years (I just don't weight it as much as you do - I still think he has pitched well overall).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:50 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:

Shields was traded last year with numbers that were mediocre at the very best. Qunitana will be fine.

And what higher up, do you think made that call? Kenny?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:10 am 
100000 CLUB

It doesn't matter who made the call. The fact is that he was a proven starting pitcher and was tradeable. Quintana will be as well.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:10 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
It doesn't matter who made the call. The fact is that he was a proven starting pitcher and was tradeable. Quintana will be as well.

You really don't think he's losing value right now, though?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:13 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
leashyourkids wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

It's ridiculous to think he's losing value based on three starts. His value will be determined by several circumstances even beyond his performance such as need of the team trying to acquire him for example and other pitchers on the trade market. If you think he's not that good and going to be exposed that is a different argument that many here have been having for the last year or so.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:21 am 
100000 CLUB

leashyourkids wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Absolutely not. Its been 3 games. If 5 weeks from now we are talking about a 1-5 Quintana with a 5+ ERA, or he has an injury, then yes we might have a problem. Quintana has been one of the best and one of the most consistent pitchers in the AL over the last 2-3 seasons. This stretch should be the exception, not the rule.

Are you worried about the Cubs right now after 12 games? Sure they might not (Won't) win 103 games and have a historically great defense and/or run differential, but do you really think the Reds or the Pirates are a legitimate 92-95 win team to threaten the Cubs in the division?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:23 am 

leashyourkids wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

It's ridiculous to think he's losing value based on three starts. His value will be determined by several circumstances even beyond his performance such as need of the team trying to acquire him for example and other pitchers on the trade market. If you think he's not that good and going to be exposed that is a different argument that many here have been having for the last year or so.

No, it's not. If he turns it around, it's moot, but if he continues to pitch and have "one bad inning" a game, it will drop. And the fact that other variables will impact his value doesn't mean that his current performance isn't a variable.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:24 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Absolutely not. Its been 3 games. If 5 weeks from now we are talking about a 1-5 Quintana with a 5+ ERA, or he has an injury, then yes we might have a problem. Quintana has been one of the best and one of the most consistent pitchers in the AL over the last 2-3 seasons. This stretch should be the exception, not the rule.

Are you worried about the Cubs right now after 12 games? Sure they might not (Won't) win 103 games and have a historically great defense and/or run differential, but do you really think the Reds or the Pirates are a legitimate 92-95 win team to threaten the Cubs in the division?

Not at all. That's not what I'm arguing. You're preaching to the choir with sample size. I'm talking about the perception of Quintana, whether correct or not. He could struggle for half the year, get traded, and then become completely dominant. I can't predict the future... I just think it's a risky endeavor to have kept him if a true rebuild is the goal. However, as of right now, not so sure the Sox don't have enough to compete. And if they do, they should, IMO.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:26 am 
100000 CLUB

I think some fans perception of Quintana can be a lot different than a baseball exec's perception of Quintana.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:30 am 

Everyone is tradeable, it just matters what the asking price is.

I guess to be more clear: During the offseason the pool of teams to trade with is great than mid-season when it is teams in contention. Based on Hahn not receiving offers he liked in the offseason, these 3 starts do not help his cause. But all it takes is 1 team willing to give up the right price.

I like what they got for Sale, but they did not get Sale's full value.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:33 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I think some fans perception of Quintana can be a lot different than a baseball exec's perception of Quintana.

Oh, I just watch on TV, usually.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:20 am 
Site Admin

leashyourkids wrote:
I don't think Q is going to maintain the same level of pitching that he has had over the past couple years

What is it that leads you to believe that? I expect him to be pretty much the same as he always has been: 200 innings, 1.2 WHIP, 3.50 ERA, a game or two under .500. A lot of people call that "GREAT". Some of them work for big league teams.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:24 am 

Lack of Chris Sale's leadership.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:27 am 

Let me rephrase: I don't necessarily think it will get lower, but I think there's a better chance of that than it getting higher. And if it does go higher, it will be due to external variables such as a dying need of a team at the deadline. I just think it's a risky endeavor to hold onto him too long if the goal is to eventually trade him.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:31 am 
100000 CLUB

Of course its risky. You take a chance every day. You take a chance getting up in the morning, crossing the street, or sticking your face in a fan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:32 am 

I don't think the goal is to trade him under this regime. He has a very nice contract and isn't crazy(that we have seen). I think he might part of this "rebuild". Why would they trade him? Pending some crazy offer is proposed.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:36 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Of course its risky. You take a chance every day. You take a chance getting up in the morning, crossing the street, or sticking your face in a fan

Relax, Frank. It's not a critique of your beloved White Sox... it's just an observation. Obviously, my point is that this is a risk I wouldn't take (but we obviously have limited information since we don't know what the market was for him in the offseason).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:37 am 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
leashyourkids wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

Relax, Frank. It's not a critique of your beloved White Sox... it's just an observation. Obviously, my point is that this is a risk I wouldn't take (but we obviously have limited information since we don't know what the market was for him in the offseason).

Hahn was on some show and basically said no offer was close. Nothing he even had to sit and think about.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:48 am 

Hank Scorpio wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

Hahn was on some show and basically said no offer was close. Nothing he even had to sit and think about.

That doesn't give too much info. We don't know what they are looking for except top prospects.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:52 am 

I just want to believe that the Frazier to Toronto calls are close to completion.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:41 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Regular Reader wrote:
I just want to believe that the Frazier to Toronto calls are close to completion.

yes, please

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.