It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: He Gone
PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Bagels wrote:
Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
You guys are fucking nuts. They just replayed Hawk calling Thome's 500th HR. On his best day, Benetti can't muster up 10% of the enthusiasm that Hawk did for that.

It's a good thing broadcasting is more than showing enthusiasm in an incredibly narrow set of circumstances. Any 2+ minute rant on umpire conspiracies outdoes his best moments combined. Nevermind the stupid anti-stats stuff that he shoehorned into conversations for whatever reason.

yea, i'd much rather have Sox Math

As an English major, that shit hurts my friggin' head. I like the bits about how Stone did against certain players, though.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:01 pm 

Chus wrote:
It's a good thing broadcasting is more than showing enthusiasm in an incredibly narrow set of circumstances.

I would much rather listen to a character, instead of a stat reciting robot, or a wannabe rockstar who sounds like Kermit the Frog. The guys in the booth aren't teaching me anything, they are just setting the table.

Any 2+ minute rant on umpire conspiracies outdoes his best moments combined.

For every umpire rant, there is a bouquet thrown to the umps.

"Stone Pony, this crew has done a magnificent job this series".

This is said more than it is acknowledged. The meltdowns get exposure.

Nevermind the stupid anti-stats stuff that he shoehorned into conversations for whatever reason.

The guys who cite metrics as gospel are just as bad as the guys who completely dismiss them.

This. The metrics first among equals guys simply take the life & joy out of everything imo and will be the end of local broadcasts. They may as well all go the Joe Buck & Jessica Mendoza route then. I won't be watching.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Hawk's call in the 9th of Buehrle's perfect game is still the best.

Allleeeexxeeii....YESSSSSSS!!!!

I don't believe in hell but if it did exist all Hawk haters would go there.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
If the folks at MLB have any sense of humor, they will assign Mark Wegner to be the home plate umpire for Hawk's last telecast.

I'd kill for it to be Joe West.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
sjboyd0137 wrote:
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
If the folks at MLB have any sense of humor, they will assign Mark Wegner to be the home plate umpire for Hawk's last telecast.

I'd kill for it to be Joe West.

Yeah, that'll work too.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Hockey Gay wrote:

Ok, that one was only nearly 8 years ago...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:26 pm 

Hockey Gay wrote:

His call on Wilson Alvarez's no-hitter in '91 (the jinx no-hitter) was pretty good but mostly for what he didn't say. He was very quiet until the final strikeout.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Chus wrote:
I would much rather listen to a character, instead of a stat reciting robot,

Watson could call a better game than Hawk. At least he'd learn that silent pauses long enough to make people wonder whether there is an equipment problem isn't the best way to package a ballgame.

Quote:
or a wannabe rockstar who sounds like Kermit the Frog. The guys in the booth aren't teaching me anything, they are just setting the table.

And which table is Hawk setting when he complains about the umpires, pouts through multiple innings because of poor play or umpires he has already complained about?

You know, your quip about "stat reciting robots" is ironic considering Hawk is just a sentient catch phrase machine with thin skin. He also got a recent update to his software that allows him to formulate racist quips about Latins and Asians.

Quote:
For every umpire rant, there is a bouquet thrown to the umps.

"Stone Pony, this crew has done a magnificent job this series".

This is said more than it is acknowledged. The meltdowns get exposure.

His "this is great" or "these are great" or "this is the best I've seen" stuff is all rendered meaningless by how goddamned often he goes to that well just to talk about inane shit. Even Stoney knows when Hawk is derailing the broadcast so he can talk about Yaz. It's pathetic.

Quote:
The guys who cite metrics as gospel are just as bad as the guys who completely dismiss them.

Hawk thinks Billy Beane wrote Moneyball. There's dismissing stats and then there's being an indignant, red-faced, codger who doesn't like nerds.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Caseys
Hawk is the drunken uncle at this point in his career. No big loss when he gone. Mercy.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:14 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Juice, you have no idea what you are talking about. CHUSE is a Sox fan, as am I. We watch a lot of Sox games, and we hear a lot from Hawk. Chus is correct with everything he said.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:34 am 

pizza_Place: Milano's
we get it, you don't like Hawk. if you want to be on the wrong side of history, feel free

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:40 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Juice, you have no idea what you are talking about. CHUSE is a Sox fan, as am I. We watch a lot of Sox games, and we hear a lot from Hawk. Chus is correct with everything he said.

I, too, am a Sox fan, and watch a lot of Sox games. Everything I've said about Hawk is also true. He's an insufferable, horrible broadcaster.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:59 am 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Breaking news: entertainment subjective

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:10 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Hawk's given me more than any other announcer..... I can't deny that I'm not above yelling out STRETCH!!!!!!!!!!! when a long fly ball is heading towards the outfield wall/s.

Plus as a baseball curmudgeon he's just about the last of a dying breed! Seriously, all the people stroking on their hateboners for him here in this thread aren't going to have nearly as fun using Jason Benetti as a punching bag [let alone the fact you might be some kind of "NOT COOL" for doing that to a disabled guy! =]

then again, short of the people out there who i'd call "baseball-self-aware" I always expected it'd take a good 3-5 years for people to TRULY realize what they're missing [one way or another] with the Hawkeroo!

btw, did we ever find out why he calls Steve Stone "The Stone Pony" --- or should i just assume that's Hawk breaking his balls with a stupid arbitrary nickname meant to de-deify THE ALMIGHTY STEVE STONE[TM] a little bit?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:44 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Hockey Gay wrote:

Let's not forget...."COME ON TIMO! COME ON TIMO! COME ON TIMO!"
That was likely my favorite Hawk moment.

BUT....with the good, we have countless stories about Yaz....whining about umpires....and really no logical understanding of current players.

I loved Hawk once upon a time, but he's been done. Not a hater....just time for him to move on.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:07 pm 

"JOE CREDE!"

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:17 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
He's an insufferable, horrible broadcaster.
Wrong.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:04 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Wrong.

You like him because he's a quirky old fool that yells at the games like you yell at your TV, all of which identify perfectly with Sox fandom, I get it. Objectively, he is an awful broadcaster, and that is indefensible.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:28 pm 

Sucks. Badly. That is all.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:29 pm 

Yaz is best I ever saw.....................Night Hawk................

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:37 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Wrong.

You like him because he's a quirky old fool that yells at the games like you yell at your TV, all of which identify perfectly with Sox fandom, I get it. Objectively, he is an awful broadcaster, and that is indefensible.

Not to beat a dead fish, but...

With his homerism and occasional crankiness, Hawk reminds me of Harry Caray when he was with the Sox. (Harry seemed a little different with the Cubs, but I may be wrong about that.)

However, Hawk really reminds me of hometown (usually radio) college football broadcasters, like Larry Munson of Georgia or Jim Fyffe from Auburn. They were regional voices, and content to be so. Hawk seems similar. I roll my eyes sometimes when he gets unprofessional, but overall, part of the reason why I like him is because he is so different from anyone else. He's also loyal like a college announcer is, and some people like that. So objectively judging him isn't really the only way to do it. And though he can be, as I said, unprofessional, he still seems to know quite a bit about the game, as even Bernstein was forced to admit.

In any case, I get it that Hawk can be off-putting. Some of his claims about past players are wacky. He had a great opportunity to partner with Stone, but Hawk doesn't get the same stuff out of Stone that Benetti (or even Swirsky) does. Benetti's a pro, and he seems to know the league's players better than Hawk, but something is missing when he calls a game.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:04 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
What I've heard of Benetti is pretty boring. He's a carbon copy of Len Kasper.

Again, I'm sure Hawk's bullshit would have been perfectly acceptable if he weren't the lead voice all these years. You don't need to have played the game to call the play-by-play. Everyone but Reinsdorf understands this.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:23 am 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
Seems like yesterday that you turned on the radio and would hear the Boers & Bernstein bits poking fun at Hawk.

Terry is now gone, at least from radio, and Hawk is on the geriatric schedule this year.

Two heroes of Chicago sports broadcasting that will be sorely missed and can never be replaced.

Where has time gone? And now we're stuck with a White Sox team that's 7 games under .500 by June 6, which is so typical.

Yet, nothing ever changes in the front office. Ken Williams is still there. Even worse, we have a Cubs reject for a manager.

Benetti is terrible, that is unexciting. And while being baseball smart, Steve Stone is boring, too, with his monotone speech.